PDA

View Full Version : Waltz and Tango-Ideas?

scoopd
17-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Been asked to provide a bit of Waltz and Tango etc for the "Older" crowd at New Year.Any ideas or tips on songs?

Cheers

leighinstoke
17-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Look on Amazon - thats where I picked up my recent CDs - and don't forget to equip yourself with some Glen Miller and Wartime stuff too - goes well with Waltz/Ballroom.

Can give you a list of what I carry if you like.

Leigh.....

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Been asked to provide a bit of Waltz and Tango etc for the "Older" crowd at New Year.Any ideas or tips on songs?

Cheers

Have a look for for the Strictly Come Dancing CD - I paid £5.99 delivered.

Rather then tips on songs - you want to look for the correct tempo and most strict tempo CDs will tell you the tempo. The song doesn't seem to be that important to be honest.

leighinstoke
17-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Have a look for for the Strictly Come Dancing CD - I paid £5.99 delivered.

I have this CD and find a lot of dancers don't like it as it's sung - they tend to prefer instrumental tracks.

Just grabbed my 'ballroom' case - this is what I carry that do most jobs if asked for ballroom, strict tempo, etc and sources:

The Come Dancing Orchestra - Waltz (HMV I think)
Strictly Come Dancing (WHSmith)
Come to the Barn Dance - 4Ways Music via ebay
Come Dancing - 20 Strict Tempo Classic - Amazon
Ballroom Dancing With Victor Silvester (good CD from the master of ballroom music himself!) - HMV
Love Themes from the DanceFloor by Studio99 - Cant remember
Strictly Ballroom (very good 3 CD set all tempos and styles - tango, pasa doble, cha cha, etc) - from ebay seller
The Best of Glenn Miller - from local little CD shop that is my goldmine!
In the Mood 2 CD set (replaced the War Zone 2 CD) - Mastermix
Hits from the Blitz (not quite ballroom but goes with In the Mood and Glenn Miller and that style of big band music) - HMV

Also have a few others but this is my main clump that get me through for dinner dances that want some of this for a section (Polkas and some organ driven ballroom stuff Tower Ballroom, etc, etc)

Leigh....

Corabar Steve
18-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Englebert Humperdink - The Last Waltz :)

theoloyla
18-12-2006, 11:06 AM
The idea that dancers dont like vocals is dying away and I use CD's by Ross Mitchell and Tony Crane which include good vocal versions of popular songs performed in strict tempo which ballroom and sequence dancers like but which do not offend the ears of non dancers.

CRAZY K
18-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Englebert Humperdink - The Last Waltz :)

Excellent choice---but only at the end:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
18-12-2006, 12:25 PM
dont know much about waltz and tango but earlier in the year had a lady say ive got a lot of friends from my salsa class here can you play something that we can do a little bit to please ....erm ...... have you got anything in mind madam?

well weve all just learned a new routine to .........BASEMENT JAXX!!!!

Corabar Steve
18-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Excellent choice---but only at the end:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K
I've never played it & had nobody dance, it always gets them up & yes usualy at the end.

Vectis
18-12-2006, 10:20 PM
A great song to tango that most people recognise is La Cumparsita by Julio Iglesias.

Perfect viennese waltz tune is Kiss From A Rose by Seal.

Both work every time for me :o

Good Samba tunes are Ain't It Funny by J-Lo and Whenever, Wherever by Shakira.

I find that everyday songs like these with unmistakeable rhythms please both the fanatical and the casual dancers in a mixed audience and are familiar to the chair-huggers too.