PDA

View Full Version : Paye

Candybeatdiscos
19-12-2006, 10:28 AM
I am hoping that the company will expand this year and have started to design a dedicated business plan, I am looking at employing 3 DJ's and two Roadies, what do you feel would be an acceptble hourly rate if employing staff on a PAYE basis, paying tax, NI etc. Also Would it be better to ask them to provide own music or supply them the music.

Also what happens when people are Employed rather than sub contracted regarding dates when there is no work available?

cvheers

Candybeatdiscos
30-12-2006, 04:38 PM
does anyone have any inkling's?

Corabar Entertainment
30-12-2006, 04:48 PM
TBH Garry - there are too many unknown variables to give a clue here..... it's even worse than asking "How much should I charge for a disco?" ..... and, of course, how much you do charge will have a bearing of how much you pay. Also, as you mention, you have to take into account 'tools of the trade': it is usual for employers to supply these (if you worked in an office, you wouldn't expect to have to buy your own paper, pens, desk and computer). If you are supplying everything, then obviously the wages you pay reflect this; conversely, if you are not supplying everything, you will need to pay an additional 'allowance' for this.

I would suggest that you sit down and work out how much it costs you to put on the disco (exluding any wages), work out what you are looking for to make the extra work worthwhile, see what that adds up to. Then, compare this against what you would be charging for the night to see what's left and divide that by the number of hours that would be worked to see what the rate is..... then ask yourself, how does that compare to other professions wages in your area, and whether you would be prepared to work for that! :D

Dragonfly
30-12-2006, 04:53 PM
i was offered work by someone in our area at £10 per hour to dj thats turn up with my music using their gear no set up or take down by myself just arrive play leave.

said no but that was the offer.

theoloyla
30-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Rates of pay are just like disco fees. How skilled does the person have to be? Is it manually hard? Are the hours unsocial? Is it a popular job with lots of people wanting to do it? What effect does the locality have on wages? Like Angela says "lots of variables". In the end you need as an businessman to pay the lowest wages you can negotiate whilst trying to obtain good and reliable staff. If you pay too low and you are a bad emplyer you will not keep staff and they will not work hard.

Have a disco
30-12-2006, 05:20 PM
As a club DJ I try to aim for £35 - £50 per hour but have been known to accept a min £25 on a local level

But as for paying a mobile DJ with music and own microphone and headphones. I would say look towards paying them £15 per hour about £60 a normal nights 4 hrs work.

This goes up to £20 per hour if they set it up and break it down as well, and £25 ph for driving the gear to and from a venue as well as setting it up.

The rest should fit into your own price structure as that you make say £100 per nights hire of the equipment

Dragonfly
30-12-2006, 05:22 PM
have to say at 15 quid i probably would have thought a little bit more about the offer.

LastMinuteDJs.net
30-12-2006, 05:52 PM
£10 per hour seems to be pretty standard around here that agencies pay the DJs on their books...

soundscapes
31-12-2006, 08:35 AM
theres an ad in the local job centre for dj's in doncaster area offering £12/hr.

Have a disco
31-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I suppose there are also regional diferences all over the country but £15 ph is fairly std in anglia

Steve 'B'
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Does it start from when the DJ leaves there house or from when the dj starts the gig??

Candybeatdiscos
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
would have to be the gig, i mean you do not get paid for travelling to your day job do you?

Dragonfly
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
must be gig say 7pm - midnight otherwise youd have djs turning up for gigs at 3.30pm lol

Steve 'B'
04-01-2007, 08:31 PM
must be gig say 7pm - midnight otherwise youd have djs turning up for gigs at 3.30pm lol

Thats all good. They wont be cutting it so fine some times.

If I was to say a fair price of £130 for a 5 hour local gig with all my gear. Obviously if the gig was worth £300 I would take £170 and £130 to the DJ. I would then have to pay for the tax and NI contributions for that job.

Would you lot say this is fair??

Steve

Candybeatdiscos
04-01-2007, 10:13 PM
i feel that that is maybe too much, chances are the DJ would be employed elsewhere as well so would be taxed at a higher rate, does that not also affect the amount of employers NI you need to pay as well>?

A1DL
04-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Employer contributions on annual earnings >£5,035 is 11% with no ceiling limit

Employee contributions on annual earnings £5,035 to £33,540 is 11% and on earnings over £33,540 at 1%

Steve 'B'
05-01-2007, 01:31 PM
What DJ's tend to look at is the price of the gig and not what you pay them. For example if I sent a DJ out with a crappy cheap PA and 4 Maplin sound to light lights with all stands, leads and some cheap cd decks I would charge £200 for the gig. Dj takes £130 of this.....All good.
You then sent the same DJ to a different higher quality venue (same distance) and sent him with a top of the range same sized powered system (easier that the cheaper one to set up), a Pioneer CDJ 1000 CD setup, 4 Mac profile heads with leads, stands etc etc and you charge £450 for the gig. You pay the DJ £130 and what a surprise!! Not enough!!

At the end of the day, I invest £1000's each year in my gear so I should see the benefits that investment brings shouldn't I??

Steve 'B'
06-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Anyone??

Candybeatdiscos
07-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes totally i agree. look at companies, no matter what they sell, they have a lower end product and a higher end product usually, and yet they still pay the same, so why not DJ companies?

I work at Sky, and if someone takes the full package at £43.50, do i get paid more than someone who takes the £37 package? No, there is no difference

Steve 'B'
09-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Anyone else??

Dial a disco.co.uk
13-02-2007, 03:24 PM
The whole employed/self employed question has been highlighted by the inland revenue as an area where they could be missing out on employers NIC. so i would tread very carefully.

the inland revenue would argue that if someone turns up at a gig uses your equipment your cds and more importantly your insurance then he/she is employed. see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/ir148.htm.

however going back to the costings dont forget that the true cost to you is gross pay plus employers national insurance.

Dial a disco.co.uk
13-02-2007, 03:25 PM
sorry last post should read employers national insurance

Corabar Steve
13-02-2007, 03:36 PM
sorry last post should read employers national insurance

The whole employed/self employed question has been highlighted by the inland revenue as an area where they could be missing out on employers NIC. so i would tread very carefully.

the inland revenue would argue that if someone turns up at a gig uses your equipment your cds and more importantly your insurance then he/she is employed. see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/ir148.htm.

however going back to the costings dont forget that the true cost to you is gross pay plus national insurance.Which bit? can you use the edit button to change it?