PDA

View Full Version : Gendre Advice

Ricesnaps
24-12-2006, 07:17 AM
21st Birthday on Thursday.

Asked client for an idea of music styles and tracks they would like.

Email says "a mix of indie rock/pop and also (rather randomly I thought) a couple of New Order and Ocean Colour Scene tracks post midnight!!!! It is a 21st birthday- lots of students!"

Indie Rock????

Any ideas?

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Fratellis, Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs, The Automatic, Muse, Zutons, Razorlight, Killers, Panic at the disco, Green Day, Chili Peppers, Blink 182.

Obvious New Order = Blue Monday and true faith
Ocean Colour Scene - Riverboat song and the day we caught the train

edwin
25-12-2006, 11:06 PM
And if you want to be really fancy, for indie rock, take new style "rave", Justice Vs Simian, Hot Chipp, Klaxons, etc. All good fun :)

Danno13
26-12-2006, 12:09 AM
And mabye some reef, oasis, blur, pulp, charlatans, stone roses

dj steady
26-12-2006, 03:31 PM
definately....sweet child 0 mine - Guns & Roses.....summer of 69 - Bryan adams and finally...Livin on a prayer - Bon Jovi....floor fillers,tou may even find the Darkness - i beleive in a thing called love...will do the bussiness...

BeerFunk
26-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Bear in mind that the client would probably much rather everyone was dancing and had a good time, than have his favourite music played all night

Danno13
26-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, but this kind of stuff is popular at 21st... it probably will get most dancing if his friends are into the same stuff. Although, i expect some current dance and RnB will be asked for as well as cheesy stuff.

Ricesnaps
27-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Bear in mind that the client would probably much rather everyone was dancing and had a good time, than have his favourite music played all night

OK, I have a playlist now....

>>Arctic Monkeys
>>The Beatles
>>Blur
>>CSS
>>The Klaxons
>>Ripchord
>>Franz
>>David Bowie
>>Dirty Pretty things
>>The Fratellis
>>Hot Hot Heat
>>Ian Brown
>>Jet
>>Jimi Hendrix
>>Kaiser Chiefs
>>KasabiaN
>>Killers
>>Kings Of Leon
>>Kooks
>>Larrikin Love
>>THE LIBERTINES
>>The Long Blondes
>>Lenny Kravitz
>>Morcheeba
>>Oasis
>>Razorlight
>>The Rifles
>>Rolling Stones
>>Stereophonics
>>Strokes
>>Suede
>>Subways
>>The View
>>The Walkman
>>We Are Scientists
>>The Who
>>The White Stripes
>>Wolfmother
>>Von Bondies
>>....
>>New Order
>
> - Bit of funky house for laters, but im not too clued on that front! If you have it!

Now I know about 50% of that!

However, to answer the above comment, it is interesting to note that I have played at parties where I have had exactly that thought and kept a full dance floor all night by NOT playing what the client asked for, only to be slated for not playing what the client asked for! catch 22!

So now I need a little funky house advice - or do I just head to Xpressbeats.co.uk and download the chart?

Alex - Cream Ents
27-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Funky house wise - comercially speaking stuff like:

Stonebridge - Put Em High
Tom Novy - Your body
Mylo Vs Miami Sound Machine

If they want stuff more distinctively "funky house mate not this commercial ****" (which I doubt but you never know) the HedKandi compliations are excellent for more credible stuff - however they tend to be 12" mixes which is no good really unless you're mixing...might be worth a look for inspiration though.

Also Euphoria did a "Euphoria Funky House Breakdown" compilation not so long back - check amazon for a track listing.

Ricesnaps
27-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Funky house wise - comercially speaking stuff like:

Stonebridge - Put Em High
Tom Novy - Your body
Mylo Vs Miami Sound Machine

If they want stuff more distinctively "funky house mate not this commercial ****" (which I doubt but you never know) the HedKandi compliations are excellent for more credible stuff - however they tend to be 12" mixes which is no good really unless you're mixing...might be worth a look for inspiration though.

Also Euphoria did a "Euphoria Funky House Breakdown" compilation not so long back - check amazon for a track listing.
God I must be getting old - the three tracks you mention I would have happly called "commercial dance" and I love that sort of stuff! I guess it's cally "Funky house" now is it?

I have had a little look at the HedKandi stuff and there is a MOS funkey house annual thingy too which I might download. Is it worth going down the Xpress beats stuff, for example:

Tony Massera - In Ya Face
Junior Jack - Dare Me
Junatik - Maybe

and so on....?

BeerFunk
27-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Funky house - Freemasons, Stonebridge, Bob Sinclar, Junior Jack etc

As Al mentioned, Hed Kandi is great - the anchor of my funky house collection