PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Country Dance-Help Needed Please

scoopd
26-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Heve to do some Scottish Coiuntry Dance at New Year and I was just wondering if any of you guys have a link to details on how to do each dance?

Many Thanks

Scoopd

LastMinuteDJs.net
26-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Try:

http://www.scottishdance.net/ceilidh/dances.html

scoopd
26-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Great Thanks for that

Corabar Entertainment
27-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Alan (Crazy K) is the expert on that!

Candybeatdiscos
27-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Plus most people if they have requested SCD, will know what to do, normally try a Gay Gordon's, Followed by Dashing White Seargent and then eightsome reel...Steve Kendals stuff is great

CRAZY K
28-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Plus most people if they have requested SCD, will know what to do, normally try a Gay Gordon's, Followed by Dashing White Seargent and then eightsome reel...Steve Kendals stuff is great

HMMMMM remember that phrase ---

A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS

The Gay Gordons is NOT a Scottish Country Dance---you might upset a few genuine SCD people if you suggested this.

Spot on about Steve Kendall ---top man-- I use a lot of his stuff on CD.

ASK exactly which dances they want and confirm you wont be giving any instructions--unless you know them of course:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Its not like teaching the Birdie Song---which I did last night--cringe now Steve:eek:

Eightsome Reel--I would avoid that unless you have some good dancers who dance it regularly.

Strip the Willow is probably one of the most popular--in my experience.

If you need a proper Caller let me know, I can get one for you,

CRAZY K

Candybeatdiscos
28-12-2006, 11:34 AM
HMMMMM remember that phrase ---

A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS DANGEROUS

The Gay Gordons is NOT a Scottish Country Dance---you might upset a few genuine SCD people if you suggested this.

What do you mean it isn't a SCD????

Source BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/musicscotland/celticroots/standard/dancing/dancing_feet_history.shtml
"We don't know much about the history of the Gay Gordons although it's probably one of the most popular of all Scottish Country Dances. But would you believe it - it isn't Scottish! It's an Old Time Dance and the story goes that it started in Continental Europe in the 1800s. Another popular theory is that it originated at the turn of the 20th century around the same time as the Military Two Step, the Canadian Barn Dance and other military-based dances were written. It's thought that the Gordons in the name are The Gordon Highlanders who were well-known for their bright attire!

Unlike other Scottish country dances, it's never really gone out of fashion. Local variations are common and some people start with both partners on the outside foot. Our version of the dance shows both the man and the woman beginning on the right foot. It's been described as a real dance danced by real people with real shoes on!!

Have a look at www.scottishdance.net. It's a good source of information for those interested in Scottish Country Dancing."

CRAZY K
29-12-2006, 11:15 PM
What do you mean it isn't a SCD????

Source BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/musicscotland/celticroots/standard/dancing/dancing_feet_history.shtml
"We don't know much about the history of the Gay Gordons although it's probably one of the most popular of all Scottish Country Dances. But would you believe it - it isn't Scottish! It's an Old Time Dance and the story goes that it started in Continental Europe in the 1800s. Another popular theory is that it originated at the turn of the 20th century around the same time as the Military Two Step, the Canadian Barn Dance and other military-based dances were written. It's thought that the Gordons in the name are The Gordon Highlanders who were well-known for their bright attire!

Unlike other Scottish country dances, it's never really gone out of fashion. Local variations are common and some people start with both partners on the outside foot. Our version of the dance shows both the man and the woman beginning on the right foot. It's been described as a real dance danced by real people with real shoes on!!

Have a look at www.scottishdance.net. It's a good source of information for those interested in Scottish Country Dancing."

Sorry been busy playing with my Cortex---well if you want to believe what you read on the Internet under BBC articles---good luck---its wrong.

Scottish Country Dances have not gone out of favour--they are very popular with a large number of people who dance them every week at clubs affiliated to the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.

Admittedly the article is correct in saying the GG is NOT Scottish--that is why it does not QUALIFY as a proper Scottish Country Dance.

To qualify it has to appear in the listings provided by the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society--I can tell you ---its not listed there.

Gay Gordons is NOT a Scottish Country Dance---its known as a Ceilidh dance and anyone who is a Scottish Country Dancer will tell you.

See a serious site---Scotlands leading Dance band for "Scottish events"

http://www.frankreid.com/dancing.html

You can believe whatever you want but dont forget at the bottom of the bbc article it says

"The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites."

Theres a reason for that !!:D

CRAZY K