PDA

View Full Version : Theft of DJ gear-Have you been done???

scoopd
04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Looking at getting a van to take my gear to gigs but have read a couple of horror stories(here included) and just wondered if it was becoming more common.At the end of the day I'm sure it's safer than any hatchback but I'm curious as to how the land lies.

Cheers

funkymike
04-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Simple realy, dont leave it in any car or van.

jamesh
05-01-2007, 12:50 AM
on my Van i have an insurance approved alarm and imobaliser.... Deadlocks on the drivers, passenger door and rear doors, a bulk head between the drivers cab and back, grills up on the back windows which have also been borded so you can't see into it and i have an extra thick padlock between the 2 back doors....

It's not sign posted or hints in anyway what is in it and it has a standard radio cassette player rather than cd player to take out that element of risk etc....

Finally all the kit is insured while in the van at any time - even if it's left in there for any length of time.

All just so i can reduce the risk of getting my kit nicked or if it does the insurance company cant claim the van wasn't secured to their requirments... Mad but sadly in these days you have to go to extreams... especially when it's your full time living!

theoloyla
05-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Dead right! A well secured van is much safer than a car or trailer but it is always safer still indoors!

funkymike
05-01-2007, 06:40 PM
My friend, has been doing disco for yrs (has rigs like jamie) his van had every consivable lock on it, including the one that warns you to stay away, he was followed home, van packed right outside his house.

The took the lot, van included! 30k worth of gear, last xmas

Danno13
05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
So are wheel clamps, steering locks and gear stick locks not enough to protect against drive away thieves then?

I'm also interested in this, as i plan to buy a van within the next couple of months.

soundtracker
05-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I heard of a DJ last week who had a de-mobiliser which prevented thieves driving his van away- so they just torched it! Seems you can''t win these days!!

Jiggles
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I think we all need tanks!!!

theoloyla
06-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Nothing in life is ever totally infallible - you just have to take as many sensible precautions and insurances as you can whilst keeping a balance with probability and practicality.