PDA

View Full Version : Boyz will be Boyz

nuttyboy
21-01-2007, 09:57 PM
The point of this thread is a serious one though. I have done half a dozen or so childrens' discos in the past and I always find it almost impossible to keep the boys entertained. Girls are easy, they know all the music, all the dances (which I eagerly try to copy) and are really willing to join in.

Boys can be a nightmare. Peter Kay hit the nail on the head in his live act, where he describes how the little swines are only interested in running the length of the dancefloor and sliding onto their knees (I would add, smashing into as many dancing girls, and DJs, as possible).

How do you cope with this? How do you keep the little sods from creating mayhem?

Dragonfly
21-01-2007, 09:59 PM
duct tape

nuttyboy
21-01-2007, 10:16 PM
duct tape

Somehow, I don't believe you, Dragonfly:rolleyes:

By the simple equation:-

1 DJ + 30 Brats + 1 Roll Duct Tape = 1 Mummified DJ:)

Keep 'em coming though.

Candybeatdiscos
21-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Girls as you say are easy, play the tunes that have dance moves and they wil do the dance.....

Boy's are even easier.....Play things like greenday's american idiot, oasis etc encourage them to get the air guitar out, get all the boys up and get the girls to choose the best performance etc, take inflatable guitars with you if you can, they are usually quite cheap to buy, best to get off ebay perhaps in a joblot buy about 20-30.

nuttyboy
21-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Girls as you say are easy, play the tunes that have dance moves and they wil do the dance.....

Boy's are even easier.....Play things like greenday's american idiot, oasis etc encourage them to get the air guitar out, get all the boys up and get the girls to choose the best performance etc, take inflatable guitars with you if you can, they are usually quite cheap to buy, best to get off ebay perhaps in a joblot buy about 20-30.

Excellent idea, Lewnics. If this represents the quality of the advice I am to receive from this forum, then I am certainly glad that I joined.

Keep 'em coming.

Candybeatdiscos
21-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Glad i can be of assistance - finally lol, i have spent 6 months getting advice from others, now its payback lol

this is a fantastic and very helpful forum, you will learn a lot mate, glad you found us

BeerFunk
21-01-2007, 10:57 PM
There generally isn't a lot you can do, the title of the thread says it all!!

The only time you can keep them out of trouble is when you get them playing musical chairs or something :rolleyes:

Corabar Steve
21-01-2007, 10:59 PM
The only time you can keep them out of trouble is when you get them playing musical chairs or something :rolleyes:

That'll confuse he hell out of anyone who saw the original title & is just clicking new posts.

Candybeatdiscos
21-01-2007, 11:02 PM
lol that caught me out lol

nuttyboy
21-01-2007, 11:13 PM

That is what I have found in the past, Beerfunk. You cant keep them interested beyond their involvement in any particular game that is being played. Even musical chairs/bumps is only good for those lads that have not been ejected from the game. The rest go back to what ever mischief-making that they were up to before you started.

That is what I like about Lewnics idea. If the result of the game is delayed until all have participated, they will feel that they are still involved, and maintain an interest.

Shaun
21-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Just an add-on to Garry's (Lewnics) suggestion. There's times where I've only had one or two inflatables so I make a competition out of it. Cue up some well known guitar solos from some rock tracks and get them performing one (or two) at a time doing a bit of air guitar (this has proved to work well with sons and dads too at family parties). The guitar solos in songs usually only last about 30 - 40 seconds which is ample time for them to 'do their stuff' without getting bored. Loudest applause wins.

BeerFunk
22-01-2007, 01:19 AM
That'll confuse he hell out of anyone who saw the original title & is just clicking new posts.
:confused:

I don't know how you could get to here, and not know the title of the thread? :confused:

Tonsk
22-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Adding to Elite DJ and Lewnics post. Do the air guitar to the song, specially American Idiot...

I used to do it to Busted and McFly when they were popular, get the kids in pairs/threes, then get the rest of them not performing to be the audience.. Play 20 seconds of the song and get them to "perform" with the guitars, jumping, smashing etc and then swap to the next pair.

You'll then find that the next set do it even more emphatically than the last lot so the last lot want another turn...

This can be kept going for ages... (or do a couple of songs split up so the girls don't get bored.)

Also, to keep the kids interested, do a girls v boys on a lot of the dances/games

Announce that you will give away prizes (sweets or summink) to the people that have the highest score..

Then do songs (Amarillo is one that works really well for this) - Get the girls in one line, boys in another and then get them all walking like Peter K did in the video and go round in a circle singing, then get them all to run into the middle of each circle where you are with a radio mike during the chorus (obviously has to be two of you, one for the boys and one for the girls) and judge who is singing the loudest/best.

Boys and girls hate to think they are losing to the other and will try to outdo themselves....

This keeps their interest when you do the Cha Cha Slide and all other party dances/games and usually always works for me so...

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 08:53 AM
:confused:

I don't know how you could get to here, and not know the title of the thread? :confused:

Just going up or down the list clicking the arrows, without paying much attention to the titles then. :P

sleah
22-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Boy's are even easier.....Play things like greenday's american idiot, oasis etc

Interesting how this thread ties to the explicit lyrics thread :(
:soapbox:
Just shows what society is like when the more vulgar, racist, violent etc a song is, the better for young boys :mad: , and it's the youngest that seem to want it, as they get into their teens they ask for it less and less.
I know "Boys will be boys", but the stupid music industry simply sees $$$$$ and pampers to them, and as a society we have completely lost the ability to stop children being exposed to such things.

Fuuny how the FIRST song suggestion on this thread contains the lyric "f--- America", and don't fool yourselves that the kids have the edited version they don't!!!

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Fuuny how the FIRST song suggestion on this thread contains the lyric "f--- America", and don't fool yourselves that the kids have the edited version they don't!!!& there is a clean version readily available - 2005 Grammy Nominees album & Napster (sadly iTunes dosen't)

But Probably a good reason to support www.radioedit.org (http://www.radioedit.org/)

Dragonfly
22-01-2007, 10:46 AM
"Boys will be boys", but the stupid music industry simply sees $$$$$ and pampers to them, and as a society we have completely lost the ability to stop children being exposed to such things.[/I]

Yeah lets get SIMON COWELL not an explicit lyrics thing but that rodney contributes to the body beautiful stick thin "what you have no talent" "never mind u have a nice pair and will sell magazines" every single week on the agression front merely the mention of the man makes me want to crack open 27000 duracell over my tv. and is as much to blame for the talentless barbie and kens clogging up my radio at the moment.

someone write a letter to moylesy on behalf of the mdd on the explicit lyrics thing if he can get miss piper to number 17 he carries some clout somewhere?

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 10:51 AM
someone write a letter to moylesy on behalf of the mdd on the explicit lyrics thing if he can get miss piper to number 17 he carries some clout somewhere?
Not a bad idea, although it would have to be worded very carefully, so as not to come over all "Mary Whitehouse".

R.E.C. is not about censorship, but rather the freedom of choice to have either version.

Corabar Entertainment
22-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Regarding the radio edit campaign.... we've let this just drift on for a while now, but we really need to get some promotion for it! .... so anyone out there with any media experience / any ideas - and possibly a little bit of time they can devote to helping would be appreciated. However, I don't want to hijack this thread with this, so please post replies on the Radio Edit thread here: http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2900

sleah
22-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah lets get SIMON COWELL not an explicit lyrics thing but that rodney contributes to the body beautiful stick thin "what you have no talent" "never mind u have a nice pair and will sell magazines" every single week on the agression front merely the mention of the man makes me want to crack open 27000 duracell over my tv. and is as much to blame for the talentless barbie and kens clogging up my radio at the moment.

Oh come on Drangonfly! Get off the fence and tell us what you *really* think about him :claphands: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:
Judging by the way you just vomited random words there, I get the feeling you may have an opinion on the whol "Idol" thing? :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

I didn't use to watch them due to lack of talent etc, but now I just watch for a laugh, we've all met some of thoses wannabe idiots at some time, but we get the added bonus of wannabe DJ's :D

How about "DJ IDOL" - now that would have 'cringe' factor!!!!!
:DJ:

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 12:39 PM
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :Naughty: :Naughty: :Naughty: :Naughty: :Naughty:

sleah
22-01-2007, 12:52 PM
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :Naughty: :Naughty: :Naughty: :Naughty: :Naughty:

:sorry:

But boys will be boys and we can tend to go off on one :D

...and he started it :ner:

Back OT....

The whole expicit lyrics thing is a nightmare for u18's parties though. I had a look at the top100 DL'd songs on iTunes, and 17% of them were marked explicit:mad: that's just outrageous :(

I did a 10th birthday on Saturday, there were like 2million girls and 3 lads :cool: I could safely ignore them in such a minority :D , the boys just ran round trying to annoy the girls and failing miserably as the girls were rather lively and loud!

steviev55
23-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Have you tried velcro on a roll?

Steve

Dragonfly
23-01-2007, 01:05 PM
sorry ...... it was only one foot off topic tho as it is the music industry plying us with this vulgarity.

i listened to half of kanye wests gold digga the other day half because i turned it off ......needles swearing and inappropriate stuff in it if you did a clean version think it would either be 30 secs long or no lyrics at all.

Harrison's Discos
23-01-2007, 02:23 PM

It took me a while to clock on to that! :eek: very funny! :D

nuttyboy
24-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Adding to Elite DJ and Lewnics post. Do the air guitar to the song, specially American Idiot...

I used to do it to Busted and McFly when they were popular, get the kids in pairs/threes, then get the rest of them not performing to be the audience.. Play 20 seconds of the song and get them to "perform" with the guitars, jumping, smashing etc and then swap to the next pair.

You'll then find that the next set do it even more emphatically than the last lot so the last lot want another turn...

This can be kept going for ages... (or do a couple of songs split up so the girls don't get bored.)

Also, to keep the kids interested, do a girls v boys on a lot of the dances/games

Announce that you will give away prizes (sweets or summink) to the people that have the highest score..

Then do songs (Amarillo is one that works really well for this) - Get the girls in one line, boys in another and then get them all walking like Peter K did in the video and go round in a circle singing, then get them all to run into the middle of each circle where you are with a radio mike during the chorus (obviously has to be two of you, one for the boys and one for the girls) and judge who is singing the loudest/best.

Boys and girls hate to think they are losing to the other and will try to outdo themselves....

This keeps their interest when you do the Cha Cha Slide and all other party dances/games and usually always works for me so...

Thanks Tonsk, I am absorbing all of these ideas, be sure, will certainly be putting them into practice.

I am afraid that my reportoire is a little thin at the moment, and I struggle to get beyond musical chairs/bumps as far as games are concerned. I have Googled like hell to try to come up with more party games, to no avail. If anyone can share their secrets, or guide me to an appropriate source, I would be most grateful.

Jiggles
24-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Try this
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=730&d=1152293996 i was in one of my post form ages ago

Corabar Entertainment
24-01-2007, 08:31 PM
You may find some inspiration in some of these threads:-

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2678

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3032

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4190

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4395

EDIT: Sorry if one of those is duplicated from Callum's previous post

Jiggles
24-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Mines is a direct link to a Ebook of games that i posted in july :D

nuttyboy
24-01-2007, 09:48 PM
That is exactly what I have been looking for, Callum. Cheers mate.
This forum is proving to be nothing short of a goldmine for me.:)

Shaun
24-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Loving what you've done with MDD supporters bagde in your sig Nuttyboy...very creative :D

nuttyboy
25-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks Shaun,
A spark of Fireworks, a splash of Flash, and exported as an animated gif.:D