PDA

View Full Version : Which windows?

Ricesnaps
22-01-2007, 12:21 PM
OK, Computer and Laptop issues part 7 (or something).

Planning to do the "re-format & re-install" thing on the laptop.

Once done it will only run DJ software - mixmiester probably - and store MP3. Unlikely it will do much else!

I therefore need to purchase a new copy on windows (as I have lost the provided disks. Thinking that it doesn't have to be XP - but maybe you can all confirm. Therefore going to go for the cheaper option (via ebay) and get hold of either Windows 2000 or ME. Which would be best?

Finally, the CD drive on the laptop doesn't work particularly well, but I use an external one (via USB). Will I still be able to install from this drive 9as I guess I am wiping the hard drive clean and presumably the drivers to run this cd drive?).

Thanks in advance!

leighinstoke
22-01-2007, 12:23 PM
2000 or XP - support for ME stopped a while back.

Leigh....

sleah
22-01-2007, 12:25 PM
You can only buy XP (soon-to-be-Vista) new, unless you can find old stock.

Ricesnaps
22-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I therefore need to purchase a new copy on windows (as I have lost the provided disks. Thinking that it doesn't have to be XP - but maybe you can all confirm. Therefore going to go for the cheaper option (via ebay) and get hold of either Windows 2000 or ME. Which would be best?

The key part of my post was "ebay"! You can most things brand new on there!

Difference in price between ME and 2000 is quite a lot, but if it's not supported guess 2000 is best bet?

Use 2000 at work with no problems.

sleah
22-01-2007, 12:41 PM
It's very very very very very very very (and a few more very's) rare to hear of anyone with a stable install af Me. I got lucky once!

I'd go with 2000.

BeerFunk
22-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, you really have to think 'compatibility' here!! What OS will Mixmeister work on?

CRAZY K
22-01-2007, 02:12 PM
It's very very very very very very very (and a few more very's) rare to hear of anyone with a stable install af Me. I got lucky once!

I'd go with 2000.

That would be me of course---stable ME for several years.

Despite all the rubbishing!

However my computer man said move on to XP--I cant say the computer goes any better---just that everyone assumes you have XP---so everything you come across seems to expect you to have it---so might be the best idea.

Support--I dont know what support you need really?

Ive never needed anything of that kind since I got a PC in 2000.

Generally its been a repair job for a new hard drive or something you cant fix yourself anyway unless you really know computers.

CRAZY K

Danno13
22-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't bother with ME.. it's a complete embarrassment, even by Microsoft's standards :D

Vista comes out in 8 days and is only £65 for an OEM home version, or £114 for the ultimate edition!

KrazyKaz
22-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Totally agree with this - ME is pants.

My hubby(computer engineer) had to sort out a few computers that were running ME.

With regards to Vista, IMO, always better to wait and see if anyone encounters any problems with it before committing to buy it. (that is just my view by the way)

:)

Ricesnaps
22-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Don't bother with ME.. it's a complete embarrassment, even by Microsoft's standards :D

Vista comes out in 8 days and is only £65 for an OEM home version, or £114 for the ultimate edition!
And those of us who bought a new PC
in the last few weeks get the upgrade for free!!

But not at all interested for the laptop - looks like 2000 wins here (although there is a copy of XP on ebay at a nice price, so might be tempted).

So next question is will I be able to install using my USB external CD drive?

A1DL
22-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I'll stick with Sash ;)
The simplest technology for the PC illiterate :p

soundlad
22-01-2007, 07:50 PM
2000 or XP - support for ME stopped a while back.

Leigh....

2000 very unstable if storing large amounts of data (tends to loose the partition tables) drove me up the wall when i lost all my music collection:bang: :bang: xp is the way to go!

CRAZY K
22-01-2007, 09:02 PM
2000 very unstable if storing large amounts of data (tends to loose the partition tables) drove me up the wall when i lost all my music collection:bang: :bang: xp is the way to go!

Try a Cortex---coming together pretty well now we ( me, Dragonfly and Spin)are getting to grips with it :D

CRAZY K