PDA

View Full Version : Credit Cards

Ricesnaps
23-01-2007, 01:18 PM
There have a been a couple of mentions about taking booking fees over the phone. Think that's a great idea, so how do you do it?

I don't have and for my own reasons don't really want a "business" account (although I do have a completely seperate account for the business!), but is there a way of accepting cards over the phone - much like a lot of on-line shops do.

Would rather not do the Paypal thing, gives the client chance to go away and thing. A simple, what's you number over the phone payment would be ideal - but is it possible?

Corabar Steve
23-01-2007, 01:36 PM
We use Nochex, which although on line is not a paypal type thing (ask Angela when she's on next)

Candybeatdiscos
23-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Rice, You would need a merchants bank account and get a POS (Point Of Sale) machine installed, unfortunately they will insist on a business bank account and the fee's are horrendous unless you have a regular turnover via credit card, basically you will find that you need at least a grand a day via credit cards.

TBH IMHO i don't think it would be worthwhile, best to go down either nochex or paypal routes.

Vectis
23-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Depends on the number of transactions you put through, but paypal now offer a "Virtual Terminal" option whereby for a monthly fee you can take credit card details over the phone and key them directly into their system online. I think last time I looked there was a free introductory period. Might be worth a look-see?

wensleydale
23-01-2007, 08:36 PM
or you could just take paypal- the customer can charge it to their card.

to be honest though, i wouldn't have thought it would be worth the cost and hassle- why not just suggest people use bank transfer- costs nothing.

NeilP
23-01-2007, 09:04 PM
to be honest though, i wouldn't have thought it would be worth the cost and hassle- why not just suggest people use bank transfer- costs nothing.

I think the idea at hand is that whilst the client is on the line, a booking fee can be taken.

I used to use Quickbooks as my account programme, it uses the Worldpay system to allow you to take credit card payments over the phone.

wensleydale
23-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I think the idea at hand is that whilst the client is on the line, a booking fee can be taken.

I used to use Quickbooks as my account programme, it uses the Worldpay system to allow you to take credit card payments over the phone.

but you can do that with paypal can't you?

Ricesnaps
23-01-2007, 09:52 PM
but you can do that with paypal can't you?
As I understand it, in it's basic form, Paypal would require the person paying to log on and make a payment themselve - something which is hardly likely to happen during a phone call.

The idea was as has been suggested, to take a card payment directly over the phone - "Can I book you then"? and "certainly sir, booking fee of £50, do you have a credit card and we can do it now"

BeerFunk
23-01-2007, 10:07 PM
There is a way to take credit card payments through PayPal, and possibly Nochex over the phone, although I'm not sure that PayPal would approve of the method, so I won't mention it here. The only other option is only worthwhile if you take regular payments, as mentioned before..

wensleydale
24-01-2007, 06:04 AM
i don't see that paypal whilst on the phone is a problem- most people have broadband and a land line.
only takes 2 mins.
still think a cheque or bank transfer is enough though given the 5% costs you are likely to incurr

Ricesnaps
24-01-2007, 08:03 AM
i don't see that paypal whilst on the phone is a problem- most people have broadband and a land line.
only takes 2 mins.
still think a cheque or bank transfer is enough though given the 5% costs you are likely to incurr
Just smacks of completely the wrong aproach to me I'm afraid. many people don't ever use Paypal, so the first stumbling block you get is "what's that", but to be honest how professional are you going to look when taking a booking - "now could you just log into Paypal" followed by "my email address is" and so on. If you really wanted to use this route, you would simply take an address and send a paypal invoice. This has absolutely no benefit over other methods, including bank transfer. It still gives the client the time to think and change there mind

groovy-nights
24-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Ricesnaps
Some things for you to bear in mind. What you want to do is take a card holder not present transaction. Which you need to be approved for by your bank. Also you need to take so much by card each month which someone has already pointed out with hsbc £1000 per month. You will need a business account to have a merchant account.
Take a look at this http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/business/cards-payments/card-processing it may help you.

Steve the DJ
24-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Customers do not require a Paypal account to pay you via Paypal, all they need is an email address.

You can send an electronic invoice via Paypal for a deposit or balance payment and the customer simply clicks on the link, is directed to a secure payment page and inputs their card details, no Paypal account or sign up required on their part.

groovy-nights
24-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Think what he is trying to do is make sure that the person will not ring round for a better price.
I.e. yes I can do the disco for you can I have your card number and I will take £50 deposit now to secure the booking.
You will find most people will say i will ring you back.

Corabar Entertainment
24-01-2007, 09:44 AM
It would actually drive me away from a company if I felt I was being pressured to say 'yes' on the spot. It could come across as pushy salesman tactics. Even if I am in a shop looking at something and the salesman/woman comes over and says 'Can I help you?', I'll walk out of the shop..... I'll ask for help when I want it!

That said, it would be nice to be able to take payments over the phone if the customer wanted to, but not going down the route of a full merchant account just yet! For now, credit & debit card payments online will do (and yes, some do make payments online whilst they are on the phone)

Vectis
24-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Customers do not require a Paypal account to pay you via Paypal, all they need is an email address.

You can send an electronic invoice via Paypal for a deposit or balance payment and the customer simply clicks on the link, is directed to a secure payment page and inputs their card details, no Paypal account or sign up required on their part.

This is how we work.

As part of the initial telephone call I take an email address and then send full details of the discussion. This gives me the opportunity to attach brochures, additional information and the all-important 'click here to pay your booking fee by credit card' URL. Very productive move on my part.

Ricesnaps
24-01-2007, 11:56 AM
That said, it would be nice to be able to take payments over the phone if the customer wanted to, but not going down the route of a full merchant account just yet! For now, credit & debit card payments online will do (and yes, some do make payments online whilst they are on the phone)
That's exactly it. I have absolutely no intention of wanting this because I am a pushy salesman. It's for those time where I get a call (and it happens a lot now) where the client says "how do I book". I would love to be able to say "do you have a credit or debit card" and bang it's done. I apreciate that some of you think that sending out paperwork and brochures and a link to pay is a good thing, but this thread comes about because of the very keen clients who never reply or take for ever to return paperwork.

I don't think it would ever be a hard sales pitch thing for me, just a very effective way to seal the deal there and then should a client want to.

However, it would seem almost impossible!

Corabar Entertainment
24-01-2007, 12:03 PM
... this thread comes about because of the very keen clients who never reply :confused: Is it just me, but that seems a contradiction in terms??? :confused:

Steve the DJ
24-01-2007, 12:44 PM
As part of the initial telephone call I take an email address and then send full details of the discussion. This gives me the opportunity to attach brochures, additional information and the all-important 'click here to pay your booking fee by credit card' URL. Very productive move on my part.

Great idea and obviously working well for you. :thumbs_up:

Ricesnaps
24-01-2007, 12:45 PM
:confused: Is it just me, but that seems a contradiction in terms??? :confused:
maybe, but very true.

Sure I'm not the only one... Client calls, really wants to book you, wants to secure the date, so you urge them to return the paperwork as soon as they get it with payment and 2 weeks later you're on the phone to them checking that they actually got it because you haven't heard from them.

Now if they really are that keen on the phone, surely booking fee by card would be a better option?

CRAZY K
24-01-2007, 12:48 PM
:confused: Is it just me, but that seems a contradiction in terms??? :confused:

Keen to have a great Disco with Revelation Road Show

Not so keen to organise and send things through the post!

And then theres the cheques made out to the wrong name of course:eek:

I know what Matt means--we get em here sometimes!

CRAZY K

Steve 'B'
27-01-2007, 02:46 AM
It still gives the client the time to think and change there mind

I would rather they think about there decision. I ofter say to people they should discuss anything I say with there partner and call me back. I dont like to presure people in to parting with money. If you put there mind at ease they normally call back as you don't seem over eager to secure the gig. I try not to sound desperate for the work.

CRAZY K
27-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I would rather they think about there decision. I ofter say to people they should discuss anything I say with there partner and call me back. I dont like to presure people in to parting with money. If you put there mind at ease they normally call back as you don't seem over eager to secure the gig. I try not to sound desperate for the work.

I agree entirely(and with Rice/ Angela) that the pressure sales approach is not necessary BUT looked at another way some people quite like the idea of going ahead and committing themselves because provided you offer what they want at a price they think reasonable they dont have to keep thinking about things---its another job out the way and I personally often do this myself.

Of course possibly by flaffing around so long the date could have booked by someone else---so for those people who like to be sure I guess instant payment is good.

At Xmas I pencilled in a peak date in the summer for some people who were supposed to be coming to see me working tonight before " deciding"

This charming couple then informed me on Tuesday in response to my email that despite me making arrangements for them to come and see me they had booked someone else through a "family friend" ( Yeah some chance:(
last week---but somehow forgot to have the decency to at least tell me--me having told 2 other people within the last few days that I may not be able to help them on that date.

Having instant payment of some sort of non refundable holding fee might I guess be useful in putting off people like this or focus their thinking---

I respect the right of people to cancel or not go ahead but sadly we probably give people too much lee way in an effort to be " not pushy and salesy"

I certainly wont be reserving any more dates on this basis in future--i.e subject to an inspection of a live performance--it will now be 7 days maximum--take it or leave it---

I will be interested to see what you decide Matt--might be able to use it as well if the costs stack up,

regards

CRAZY K

Dazzy D
16-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi

Coming from a sales background, I have to agree with Crazy K. We do put a great deal of trust in to potential clients, bearing in mind that these are likely to be people we've never met. We've all had people on the phone sounding very enthusiastic about what we have to offer. "That offer is great! Just what I'm looking for! I'll send in a cheque for the deposit". In the time between the phone call and the client sending the cheque, they've heard from a family member/mate/neighbour/bloke down the pub* (*delete as applicable) that some student, who's mummy and daddy have bought a basic mobile set-up for him/her can and who doesn't have insurance, PAT testing, licences, etc can do it cheaper than you. First you know about it is that the cheque doesn't arrive. So, you spend money on a phone call just to be told that your services are no longer needed. Usually, an excuse like "we've cancelled the party" or "another family member booked a disco without me knowing" is used (the latter was used with me only last week!). By this time, we may have even turned down potential bookings for that date. If we could take a deposit at the time of booking/enquiry, then this would more than likely deter the client from looking/making the booking elsewhere. For good customer service, if I were to take payments over the phone, I would also offer a 7 day cooling off period where, should the client change their mind, they would receive a refund of the deposit less any card transaction charges incurred.

Any suggestions on my suggestions greatly received!

A1DL
16-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Rice, You would need a merchants bank account and get a POS (Point Of Sale) machine installed, unfortunately they will insist on a business bank account and the fee's are horrendous unless you have a regular turnover via credit card, basically you will find that you need at least a grand a day via credit cards.

We have had a credit/debit card terminal from Barclays Merchant Services since 1998. When we first got this facility, the Company was very recently incorporated and because we had yet to file our first accounts, the bank required a security deposit of a couple of grand for the first year or so, which I guess is fair play, considering their potential risk.

Also at first, yes, the fees were rather high. Although the banks do review these annually and as your turnover (debit card transactions) and average transaction value (credit card transactions) increases, the handling charges come down substantially, and they can be negotiated.

There was never any minimum turnover set, and I have certainly never heard of any bank insisting on £1,000/day turnover through merchant services.

HTH

PropellerHeadCase
07-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Regarding the keen punter and the turning other enquiries away bit...

You aren't booked until you have a deposit, the only thing you have to do is give the first enquirer a courtesy call advising them that you have received another enquiry for the date they were enquiring about and whether they wanted to go ahead.