PDA

View Full Version : Joe Average Sound Systems

BORIS
29-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Bonsoir to a "local" forum (Well UK based at least)
J.A.S.S existed some 20 years ago doing mainly reggae and indie nights localy (Sunny Clacton on sea) unfortunately, due to someone wandering off with all the gear one day, it all went the way of all flesh.
Now, being something of an old git and having a few quid spare (enough to buy all the things I wanted when I didnt have the cash) I decided to start up again with a new partner.
Over the past eighteen months we have gone from strength to strength and managed to amass nearly 30k of sound, using BOSE, PEAVEY and QSC. (all the names I couldnt afford before)
Things are on the up and we have now started work on a lighting rig which is why and how I ended up here.
Many thanks for letting me join and if I can be of any help to anyone localy then dont hesitate to ask.
BORIS.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow! 30K of sound! What kind of work are you doing with that?

Corabar Entertainment
29-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Hello & :welcome2:

BORIS
29-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Mostly anything but we mostly do P.A's for outside events. BUT as I say ANYTHING concidered.
The whole setup is modular with the smallest rig going out at 2.5K and anything from there upwards realy.

Paul James Promotions
29-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Show us some pics :p :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Show us some pics :o :D

Easy now J...:D

BORIS
29-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Of what ?
I can't just pop outside, set it all up and then take photos, IT's DARK.
Will sort a few out tomorrow and post them if I can.

Corabar Entertainment
29-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I think Jamie was hoping you might have some on your computer..... most DJs do! :p :D

BORIS
29-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I have never claimed to be a DJ, I may play a few tunes but that dosent qualify me as a DJ.
I have included a few older pics of some of the Bose rig and a bit of the front end with a portion of the Peavey rig, will take some decent ones when I get time.

Digitalsounds
29-01-2007, 11:05 PM
come on then jamie whats the verdict i know its not a Void but the guys got some speakers i give him that.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-01-2007, 11:14 PM
The Bose 302s and 802s are superb sounding speakers IMO.

BORIS
29-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Got the Amps to back em up as well.
Use 7 x PEAVEY 2600 (1 for spare) and 6 x QSC plx3002. Like these because of the switch-mode PSU's mean they weigh nothing)
Will post decent photos of as much as I can get at ASAP.
I felt a strange sense of non-belief in previous replies so had to justify it by putting up crappy pics, this will be rectified soon.

BORIS
29-01-2007, 11:21 PM
The Bose 302s and 802s are superb sounding speakers IMO.

The 302's sound 10 times better when you replace the drivers with Precision devices/Mackie 12"ers. Also this uprates the cabs to 1k eack of gut thumping bass (Only sound any good indoors though)

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Got the Amps to back em up as well.
Use 7 x PEAVEY 2600 (1 for spare) and 6 x QSC plx3002. Like these because of the switch-mode PSU's mean they weigh nothing)
Will post decent photos of as much as I can get at ASAP.
I felt a strange sense of non-belief in previous replies so had to justify it by putting up crappy pics, this will be rectified soon.

Unfortunately, by their very nature, forums always throw up plenty of dreamers....;)

Shaun
29-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Boris,

Welcome to forum. Looking forward to you input here. :beer1:

A1DL
29-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Over the past eighteen months we have gone from strength to strength and managed to amass nearly 30k of sound, using BOSE, PEAVEY and QSC.
BORIS.

Mostly anything but we mostly do P.A's for outside events.

ummm, Bose & Peavey for outside events :confused: :confused:

I can't think of much worse than using 802s for outside events, everything about them is wrong for such applications. Believe me, I tried it in a small outside area a few years back and it didn't work, and ended up repositioning two pairs of JBL cabs which were covering the outer area of the field, as the 802s had absolutely no throw at all.

Anyone serious about sound and holding 30k of boxes for large PA applications (as opposed to 30k of boxes to put out 10-15 small shows), then Peavey would not be a contender either. They're OK semi-pro cabs which sound OK in the local boozer or at the fairground. But they're not pro audio, and certainly not on the scale being discussed here.

QSCs are nice though.

DMX Will
29-01-2007, 11:45 PM

I can't think of much worse than using 802s for outside events, everything about them is wrong for such applications. Believe me, I tried it in a small outside area a few years back and it didn't work, and ended up repositioning two pairs of JBL cabs which were covering the outer area of the field, as the 802s had absolutely no throw at all.

Anyone serious about sound and holding 30k of boxes for large PA applications (as opposed to 30k of boxes to put out 10-15 small shows), then Peavey would not be a contender either. They're OK semi-pro cabs which sound OK in the local boozer or at the fairground. But they're not pro audio, and certainly not on the scale being discussed here.

QSCs are nice though.

How about a hello and welcome? :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard.

dannyboy
30-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Welcome!!!

BORIS
30-01-2007, 05:40 AM

QSCs are nice though.

100% support the argument surrounding Bose and outside but the Peavey does sound fairly nice outside. Also it was down to price at the end of the day, although in time will be replaced with a Funktion1 system or maybe even a Dare system. As I said in my introduction we are constantly evolving so who knows where we will end up, problem is that we all have to start somewhere.

Corabar Steve
30-01-2007, 09:12 AM
:welcome1: :beer3:

edwin
30-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Funktion 1 eh - that would be nice :)

BORIS
30-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Bung me about £30k, I will pop and get it then let you know what it sounds like.
Many thanks, BORIS.

pulsemobiledisco
30-01-2007, 07:07 PM
maybe even a Dare system.

I use a 6K Dare system on a regular basis at a hotel in Blackpool that I have a residency at. It is used to run bands, cabereat and disco. Very nice sounding system. Has anyone else used Dare? Would be interested in yout opinions.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I use a 6K Dare system on a regular basis at a hotel in Blackpool that I have a residency at. It is used to run bands, cabereat and disco. Very nice sounding system. Has anyone else used Dare? Would be interested in yout opinions.

Can I just point out that there are two manufacturers called Dare - one very high end company who exhibit at PLASA and one who make budget amps etc.

Just so there's no confusion;)

pulsemobiledisco
10-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Can I just point out that there are two manufacturers called Dare - one very high end company who exhibit at PLASA and one who make budget amps etc.

Just so there's no confusion;)

Not been around for a while. It's Dare Audio, who are based in Birmingham.

chips
11-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi and Welcome:)

theoloyla
11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have got some heavy duty kit and some big ideas and ambitions. Best of luck to you. I think I remember you from the 80's.