PDA

View Full Version : Vans..what's your preference?

Shaun
12-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm going to be purchasing a new(ish) van over the next few months. I know many of you own vans for transporting the gear, or have rented in the past!. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on which type to get?. I'm looking to get a transit sized vehicle.

Cheers.

Paul James Promotions
12-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Having used LDV's in the past, now use a Sprinter. IMO, there is no better.

ian8limelight
12-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Shaun,

I'm now on my second VW Transporter SWB 1.9. I had the first one for 5 years and have had this one for two. Great for me because I have had a set row of seats professionally put in the back for the kids, and can still get everything in with the seats unmoved.

Shaun
12-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Cheers guys.

Preferably looking for something that's caged at the back, or has a bulk-head pre-fitted.

*edit: The cage is for the wife, not the gear :D

GrahamH
12-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I use a Vauxhall Vivaro...Never let me down.
Has a bulkhead and solid doors at the back so no one can see whats in the back

Danno13
12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm also in the market for a transit at the moment. Seems to be the best option, long enough to get truss in and plenty of space.. always better to have that extra for if you need to carry anything else with you (hired kit etc.) than to be squashing everything in.

dj steady
12-02-2007, 05:12 PM
ive got a fiat scudo......ideal with 2 side loading doors.....

Ricesnaps
12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Currently running a lovely yellow Merc Vito - highly recomended. Mine's an S reg and runs very well. I would say the gearbox isn't the best, but it is dash mounted which I prefer.

Having said that, the load space is really good. Had the floor boarded when I bought it and it has a mesh bulkhead. It also just about fits into a new standard garage (as long as you don't want anything else in there)

DJ James Lake
12-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I use a Vauxhall Movano long wheel base high top. Fantastic van which is huge inside.
One bonus of the movano is that the rear loading height is only about 1 foot off the ground which means kit doesnt need lifting to much to get in and out of van

Corabar Steve
12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I use a Vauxhall Movano long wheel base high top. Fantastic van which is huge inside.
One bonus of the movano is that the rear loading height is only about 1 foot off the ground which means kit doesnt need lifting to much to get in and out of vanI'd have thought that would've meant that you'd have to bend more to take it out though

A1DL
12-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm with Jamie on this one, Mercedes Sprinter LWB
The best 3.5t van on the market

Ours is fitted with a 500kg internal tail lift, which makes ease of big cable trunks and 108kg Stasys 8 bins etc :D

DJ Frankie
12-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Me too, about to purchase one at the end of the month. Been looking at the Fiat Scuda I like the twin side doors, ideal for our chair cover buisness and the disco.

Had a chat with the guy on Saturday and the vans he has are in my price range for about 3k and the mileage is 100k on the clock would this be classed as high mileage?

DJ James Lake
12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Me too, about to purchase one at the end of the month. Been looking at the Fiat Scuda I like the twin side doors, ideal for our chair cover buisness and the disco.

Had a chat with the guy on Saturday and the vans he has are in my price range for about 3k and the mileage is 100k on the clock would this be classed as high mileage?

Not for a diesel

I'd have thought that would've meant that you'd have to bend more to take it out though

Not at all, it actually makes it far easier. I used to use transits and it was knackering becuse you had to climb into the van to get the kit, then climb out again to lift it out.

I have also made a ramp from plywood so I can just wheel equipment in and out so easily. Trust me the height of the load bay can make a huge difference in this area.

You also are losing a lot of load space internally with floors that are higher.

Corabar Steve
12-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I have to climb into mine to get stuff from the front & I only use a Peugot Partner. Surely if you don't have to bend, lifting is easier????

DMX Will
12-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I have to climb into mine to get stuff from the front & I only use a Peugot Partner?

Ah excellent, don't feel so bad about my Kangoo anymore!! I have to climb in the Kangoo too.

ian8limelight
12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Cheers guys.

Preferably looking for something that's caged at the back, or has a bulk-head pre-fitted.

*edit: The cage is for the wife, not the gear :D

I've got a removeable bulk-head behind the extra row of seats, although most VW's now have pre-fitted bulkheads.

Why the cage ? You can get some ex-Police vans with cages in them but I would suggest dead-locks and an alarm/immoboliser. And preferably a van with solid rear doors (i.e. no rear windows).

Shaun
12-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Why the cage ?

You haven't met my 'wife'.

ian8limelight
12-02-2007, 11:04 PM
You haven't met my 'wife'.

Ah - looks like another thread for the MDA meet-up !!:D

Paul James Promotions
12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Ours is fitted with a 500kg internal tail lift,

Want want want!!!!!

jamesh
12-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I have a vauxhall combo van which is fine for the average disco but does get a bit limiting on space for the bigger stuff.... For the big, big stuff i hire in a vivaro to fit in all the stuff i can't in the combo...

All in all it's not a bad van and as i say for the average disco should suit most people and not as much of an eye-saw on the drive when not in use :)

Corabar Steve
12-02-2007, 11:36 PM
an eye-saw Sounds painful :d:D:d

jamesh
13-02-2007, 10:21 AM
ha ha ha yes very

and spwelling was neva a strong poynt of mine :D :D :D

Candybeatdiscos
13-02-2007, 12:40 PM
i just want a van that goes :(

i am also thinking f going for a new van, gonna spend about £3k on a transit in the summer

super-hero
13-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I have been using an ex BT Transit for about 6 years now, and had no problems at all. You can get them with caged back. Rear double doors and a sliding side door.

Spares are cheap and easy to get. Plus they are very economical.

sleah
13-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm with Jamie on this one, Mercedes Sprinter LWB
The best 3.5t van on the market

Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit
:D :D :D :D :D

BTW - I'm a Transit man myself.

I've heard Sprinters break down alot but worse still are unstable and prone to tipping over :(
Tesco are finally getting rid of them in favour of Transits, our regular driver loves his new Transit!
Apparently several companies are going back to Transits, I heard of one who had 2 or 3 Sprinters tip-up on the same roundabout so have gone back to Transits.

Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit

I'm on my 6th Transit in 16 years, they are dead easy to fix and maintain, parts are ten-a-penny, and generally just keep going....
My current one is a 1990 Mk3 ex school minibus that they gave me :D
2ltr petrol with over 100k on the clock.
1 previous owner, 100 previous drivers!!!!!! :Laugh:

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2007, 06:18 PM
So, you like Transits then?

Danno13
13-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit Transit, much room, much room

:D:D:D

Ok... i'll get my coat....

Corabar Entertainment
13-02-2007, 06:27 PM
PMSL :lol:

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Badger, badger, badger, badger....

Pierre Le Sound
13-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I've got a 51 plate Transit 90hp T350. It cruises at 75 no problem and gives 28 MPG.

Spares are cheap and insurance is much lower than a Sprinter.

infinity disco uk
13-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Peugeot expert is the van signed up for advertising bit limited for space twin side doors are handy so too add that extra bit of space the 10ft twin axel ifor williams for when the big rig is needed :D :D

theoloyla
13-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I have been driving Transits since 1969. I have had long wheel base, short wheelbase, hightops, Lutons - all sorts. They are just so reliable and easy to drive plus if they do go wrong they are cheap to repair (as others have said) and cheap to insure. I awarded Ford's with a silver disc in 1979 when my Transit passed 250,000 miles. I currently drive an ex British Gas van. It is a SWB flat top; so it goes in carparks and car washes and came with low mileage, full service history, immobilizer , bulkhead and security locks.

Digitalsounds
13-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Just to spoil he party i can't complain about my ford mondeo with a Towmaster box-van trailor

but have to admit it is going to get to the point soon that i am going to need to take the plung and purchase a van but its just finding somewhere to keep it as our garage door is only 6ft 3" high so bit hard to get a van under.

I have a van in mind the fiat sudo or known as the peug expert, citreon dispatch.

electricnite
13-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Ive had two transit a short wheel base then a long wheel base they were like lugging sherman tanks around bought a mercedes sprinter long wheel base 6 months ago and i tell you something its like driving a car even with a full load its never once faultered what a beautiful and reliable van stay away from LDV and IVECO

oh and believe it or not parts are actually cheaper than transits .

Corabar Steve
13-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Am I the only person on this forum who can see the edit button????http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif

I have my sarcastic head on tonight http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif

electricnite
13-02-2007, 10:48 PM
don't be catty steve , i not that good with computers

Corabar Steve
13-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Don't worry Sean, you're not the only one.

& I do tend to have a very sarcastic sense of humour.http://planetsmilies.net/kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6194.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

electricnite
13-02-2007, 11:03 PM
don't we all ! nite nite