PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting

Ricesnaps
17-02-2007, 09:39 AM
After a number of posts complaining about ETGlobalsolution.co.uk who I currently use to host our three web sites, come back from a short break this week to find the sites and email are down AGAIN!

No reply to my phone call!

So I think (as one of my packages is about to expire) it's time to go elsewhere. To be fair, I get a lot for my money with ET and all for about £14.99 per year.

However can anyone make recomendations for hosting with the following requirements for as cheap as possible (and I do know you get what you pay for):

Ability to upload my web site myself
at least 5 email addresses
good we statistics package
Great support.
Very VERY easy transfer of web site and email to new host.

????

soundtracker
17-02-2007, 10:01 AM
After a number of posts complaining about ETGlobalsolution.co.uk who I currently use to host our three web sites, come back from a short break this week to find the sites and email are down AGAIN!

No reply to my phone call!

So I think (as one of my packages is about to expire) it's time to go elsewhere. To be fair, I get a lot for my money with ET and all for about £14.99 per year.

However can anyone make recomendations for hosting with the following requirements for as cheap as possible (and I do know you get what you pay for):

Ability to upload my web site myself
at least 5 email addresses
good we statistics package
Great support.
Very VERY easy transfer of web site and email to new host.

????
WWW.YOURINTERNETSTORE.CO.UK - You really need look no further!:)

Marc J
17-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Does your current host use cPanel? I tried to find out but can't even get their site (ETGlobalsolution.co.uk), never mind yours!

If they do, transfer of your whole site(s) including email should be easy enough to any other host using cPanel (a large majority do), providing you can gain access to your site on your old host.

If not, things will probably have to be done manually - uploading a copy of your site(s) from your local machine and setting up mailboxes again...

Was £14.99 per year for each site or all three(!)? Either way, as you said, you really do get what you pay for!

Corabar Entertainment
17-02-2007, 10:54 AM
WWW.YOURINTERNETSTORE.CO.UK - You really need look no further!:)...the big advantage, of course, is that you know Richie will be there to give you a helping hand, rather than it being some nameless, faceless corporation! :)

Ricesnaps
17-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Does your current host use cPanel? I tried to find out but can't even get their site (ETGlobalsolution.co.uk), never mind yours!

If they do, transfer of your whole site(s) including email should be easy enough to any other host using cPanel (a large majority do), providing you can gain access to your site on your old host.

If not, things will probably have to be done manually - uploading a copy of your site(s) from your local machine and setting up mailboxes again...

Was £14.99 per year for each site or all three(!)? Either way, as you said, you really do get what you pay for!
Yes I have CPanel (and I like it), so maybe that will make things easier?

Only problem right now is in our recient move I have lost the log in details etc... for CPanel, so not sure how to get back into the current one.

£14.99 was per site per year!

Marc J
17-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Yes I have CPanel (and I like it), so maybe that will make things easier?

Only problem right now is in our recient move I have lost the log in details etc... for CPanel, so not sure how to get back into the current one.

£14.99 was per site per year!

In that case, if and when ETGlobalsolution get their act together you should request your login details (if you have your FTP details, the cPanel username and password are sometimes the same), log in to each site's cPanel and do full backups. Some hosts will actually do this for you (and restore them) if you give them your cPanel and FTP login details.

Finally, I can actually help you out with hosting if you like, PM if interested, but it'll be more than £14.99 per site per year (mods feel free to remove that last bit if it breaks any rules).

Shaun
17-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Finally, I can actually help you out with hosting if you like, PM if interested, but it'll be more than £14.99 per site per year (mods feel free to remove that last bit if it breaks any rules).

No rules broken mate. It's permittable to mention your services as it's in the context of the thread discussion.

I can vouch for Marc's hosting. I've been hosted with him for almost a year, zero down-time and great customer service.

Marc J
17-02-2007, 12:47 PM
No rules broken mate. It's permittable to mention your services as it's in the context of the thread discussion.
Thanks for clarifying that :beerchug:

I can vouch for Marc's hosting. I've been hosted with him for almost a year, zero down-time and great customer service.
Thanks, not strictly true though: My Uptime Monitoring (http://uptime.alertra.com/uptime.php?id1=338305&id2=1934) reports 13 mins down in December, and 19 mins in January :(

Average is over 99.9% uptime, though, and nothing is ever 100% :)

Shaun
17-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I should have said that I was never aware of any down-time. I'll get out my calculator and invoice you for those 32 minutes refund :lol:

Shaun
17-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Actually, I'm wrong. The rules were ammended recently and I wasn't paying attention in class :o

I'll leave your post in this instance.

If anyone needs me I'll be off doing a refresher course on the site rules :D

DMX Will
17-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I use (for now all my websites) Servage (www.servage.net). Since the move of the Virtual Sights website to this host, both my domains are now running on the same hosting package, and it seems to be working quite nicely.

They're quite expensive (at around £60-70 a year) but they offer
-250GB Webspace
-2100GB Monthly Tranfer/Bandwidth
-FTP and Secure FTP
-1000 MySQL Databases
-All the usual scripting languages (and more) are supported ASP/PHP etc etc
-WAP Stuff
-Multiple Domains
-Email auto responders/forwarders etc etc
And lots of other stuff

Obviously a massive package which might be way over the top what you need, but I like having the rescources there. They also now offer a bit of software that creates a network drive in My Computer which links you directly to your hosting.

Marc J
18-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I actually came across servage a while ago when I was looking for a remote backup solution and their webdrive app got my attention.

If you plan on using that webspace and bandwidth then I wouldn't call £60 - £70 per year expensive at all! To be honest their price seems too good to be true, they are obviously massively overselling.

After reading some reviews (for example here (http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2172464)) I decided not to use them at all, one said they actually lost over 1Gb of files from the server and had no backup which, for my purposes, was just too risky.

They seem to allow you to max out on your space and bandwidth (occasionally) but suspend accounts for "too many hits" causing "high CPU usage". I doubt that'd be a problem for most here (we're talking over 2,000,000 hits per day), unless yous site is heavy on the scripting side or anything else CPU intensive...

I should mention that I found some good reviews of servage.net as well, and for most here it's probably more than enough :approve:

Just to add (as apparently servage stats are poor), there's no need to pay more for hosting just to get web stats included, Google Analytics (http://www.google.co.uk/analytics) is free, easy to implement into your site, and provides very details stats (probably more info than you'll ever need!).

DMX Will
18-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Interesting, as I've said, does the job for me!

Now successfully hosting www.virtualsights.co.uk with them.

Marc J
18-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Now successfully hosting www.virtualsights.co.uk with them.

Your Client Area (http://www.virtualsights.co.uk/client.html) says otherwise :p

Just kidding :) I imagine your having to change all the database stuff due to Servage's (rather unusual) practice of using a central database server instead of 'localhost' for your MySQL databases?

I've come across that before (think it was with XCalibre (http://www.xcalibre.co.uk), and with a little poking around I found I was able to access everyone else's databases (and so them mine), so you might want to check that!

DMX Will
18-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Your Client Area (http://www.virtualsights.co.uk/client.html) says otherwise :p

Just kidding :) I imagine your having to change all the database stuff due to Servage's (rather unusual) practice of using a central database server instead of 'localhost' for your MySQL databases?

I've come across that before (think it was with XCalibre (http://www.xcalibre.co.uk), and with a little poking around I found I was able to access everyone else's databases (and so them mine), so you might want to check that!

lol, other than that!! Thats taking a while because I want it to be in a secure zone, it's on servage working (hidden), just not available as yet. :)

But yes, the move to Servage was a bitch regarding databases, thank god for Dreamweavers find and replace function through an entire site :)