PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to deal with suppliers/traders.

Light_Worker
19-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi all - this is my first post.

I need some help and advice, especially if any of you have had to deal with this sort of thing.

I recently bought 4 Disco Lights from a trader on EBay (EBay rules prevent me saying who).

The postage costs for the lights were £17.95 and £19.95 each. I asked the seller if they would be combined if I won multiple items, and the seller replied that yes, this will be done.

I thought that he would charge me the price for the overal weight - which is what every EBay seller does when shipping multiple items out.

I thought wrong.

The total for the lights came to £82.87 - The lights I bought were an American DJ Electra 250, a Whirl 250, a Vertigo and what was titled up as a Acme Wildtech Junior Gobo Splash.

The combined weight of these lights is just over 12Kg, and just under 13kg. When I got the bill, I was a little shocked. The total was £157.17. When I phoned the number on the bill, I queried the P&P costs with the seller, who told me they would be sent out via Inital City Link, but that he couldn't combine the postage. He did say that he had knocked £20 off as a 'good will' gesture. I paid up, because I had used my fathers EBay account, and I didn't want him getting neg. feedback or unpaid item strikes.

I then phoned Inital City Link and I got the prices. ALL four lights come under 5kg. Their prices are as follows:

Items under 5kg-

In their plastic wrap = £ 7.70 OR as a parcel = £11.60.

Bit of a difference heh? About £6 - 12 difference per item. Initial City Link, when questioned about multiple items, told me that multiple items are autometically combined, and that 12Kg, with VAT and fuel surcharge would come to about £16. I was charged about £60.

This is a breach of EBays excessive postage rules - and one of their workers agreed by telling me that they know he is charging too much for P&P.

I decided to have a look at the items I had bought again, and I noticed that the 'Acme' light had a small 'disclaimer' saying that you wouldn't be bidding on an 'Acme' light, but it didn't state what light you were bidding on.

When I confronted the seller about this I had a heated argument with him..

I then spoke to Consumer Direct - the Governmet Advice line. They have told me that the 'disclaimer' was illegal. They have passed the information I gave them onto Trading Standards.

The next day @ 10:10 in the morning the seller offered me a full refund, after another argument over the disclaimer.

I accepted the refund at 10:16 the same morning. The Seller still sent the items out, as the following day my Dad took them in - because he didn't realise that these were the lights in dispute.

When I contacted the seller again, to say that he had mistakenly sent these items out, and that I wanted to get them back to him for a refund, he e-mailed me back to say that I would have to pay for them to be returned and that there would be a 30%!! restocking and re-listing fee.

I contacted Inital City Link again, and found out that the seller has a standing order with them for daily pick-ups between 4 and 5 pm. So they were sent out 5-6 hours after my refund acceptance.

I opened one of the lights and the cheeky man has sent me lights with European moulded 2-pin plugs. The details on the plugs don't match the details given in the listing.

By law the seller is supposed to either have UK 3-pin plugs fitted or supply me with proper adapters.

Consumer Direct asked me to send him a letter saying that as I accepted a refund, the items were then sent out without my consent. This means that they are legally classed as "unsolicited goods" and that, by law, he has to give me a full refund. Also, he either has to pay me to send them back, or pay for return himself. If he isn't willing to do either, I am entitled to a full refund and to keep them as gifts.

The problem is, this guy is the other supplier for American DJ lights in the UK - so he shouldn't be doing this sort of thing.

I got onto the Managing Director for Prolight as the seller was misrepresting the Acme light. The MD is going to speak to American DJ and EBay on my behalf, as he is furious that the seller is using the Acme name and Acme pictures to sell other lights.

I contacted American DJ USA and Europe myself, but I don't think they really care.

Has anyone had this sort of experience? If you have any help or advice I would REALLY appreciate it now, as I am now £157.17 down with four unusable lights.

I want to :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

sleah
19-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Now that's bad luck! I think you have everybodys sympathy here...

Your only mistake was not reading every little bit of small print and then dealing with the trader with goodwill that he would be OK, but you learn these things through experience. Ebay is a dangerous place unless you are very careful and keep you wits about you.
You certainly can't be held to ransom over your oversight!

Sounds like you've got some good advice and there isn't much more you can do. Make sure you contact Ebay and report him as a rogue trader.
How did you pay? If by Paypal, pester them for a refund, same if by credit card.
You will need your Fathers co-operation if the account(s) are in his name, strictly speaking you should never use someone elses account, and they should not allow you to use it, it's in the terms & conditions of just about everything.
Just keep chipping away at every avenue you have - sounds like you've made a good start!
Maybe worth a visit to your local C.A.B.

Good luck with it, hope you get it resolved soon and the trader gets what he deserves!

Simon

Light_Worker
19-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I paid with my Credit Card - I've sent them all the evidence I have because I asked them to put the payment in dispute... The payment was made via World Pay.

My Local CAB is a joke - you go there and they tell you to phone and book an appointment, and when you do manage to get someone on the phone they tell you to just come in.

EBay are doing what EBay are good at - jack sheet

I'm wondering how American DJ are going to play this - because they don't need this guy doing this sort of thing - I reckon he knew about my acceptance e-mail and sent the lights out just to try and get a 30% fee out of the refund.

The thing is though is that the listings said nothing about it being a 2-pin plug. So he is either not selling UK items here or he sent me unusable lights on purpose! What a figgin git

sleah
19-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Mmmm.. ebay. Depends what mood they are in :bang:

Don't get overly fussed about the plug issue. If it were a domestic item like a toaster, then yes, you have a case.
With disco gear, it should normally be sold as "For Professional Use Only".
It is assumed that the purchaser will be capable of fitting their choice of plug or at least have someone on hand who can do it.
The main reason is that there are several different mains connections that could be used. Obviously the 13A plug, but also IEC (kettle) plugs, 15A round pin plugs, 16A CeeForm plugs to name but 4.
For example, if a new theatre light was supplied with a 13A plug it would be useless, as theatrical dimmers use 15A plugs. Theatre light are actually normally supplied with no plug, just bare wire ends!

Dunno what the law is about declaring the origin of items, but there is the risk that imports will not conform to British/EU standards which throws a big spanner in the insurance works, not to mention potential safety risks.

Let's hope the manufacturers get on his case

Light_Worker
19-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't know where these come from - the plug itself says it has a 16 amp fuse in it....

I was wondering - if I end up having to keep the darn things, can I just stick another plug on them?

sleah
19-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't know where these come from - the plug itself says it has a 16 amp fuse in it....

I was wondering - if I end up having to keep the darn things, can I just stick another plug on them?

Weird..16A fuse...mmm sounds odd to me.

In theory yes you can just stick another plug on. But check the units to make sure they say they will work at ~240v. If there is no label, I wouldn't risk it as they could be from America and run on 120v :eek:

If the supplied plug is round with 2 pins, then it is probably a euro plug so should be 240v, if it is flattish with 2 pins (bit like shaver plug) then it maybe 120v...... or maybe not.......:confused:
The label should state the voltage and power, some kit can operate on 120v & 240v, but generally not lights!
The 16A fuse makes me think 120v, as 120v kit will draw twice the current of 240v (ish). That means if it is in fact 240v, then it couldn't have a euro plug on and could not be used on a 13a supply.:eek:
Anything that needs 16A is usually big lasers and stonking great outdoor lights.:cool:

In a very long winded way, I'm trying to say, from the info you've given and without seeing the labels on the kit, I wouldn't risk connecting them to the mains :(

Light_Worker
19-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Shall I open one up again and take a picture for you all?

Light_Worker
23-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Right - I've opened up one of the lights - the specs according to the Instruction manual for the Whirl 250 (the manuals for the other lights are sealed, but this one wasn't) states that it is an American unit - 120 volts running at 60 hertz.

Corabar Entertainment
23-02-2007, 10:24 AM
What a :Censored: !!! .... another thing (and IMO the main thing) to add to your case against him.

Keep us informed of how your claim(s) are progressing!

Light_Worker
23-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Trading Standards are going to give him a visit - and they are investigating him.

Consumer direct have told me that he has to give me a full refund as he offered me a refund for the "whole cost" before the items were sent out.

Because I accepted this refund the items are classed as unsolicited goods, and I can actually keep them as well as get my money back.

Only thing is, the seller won't agree to this - He reckons that I declined his refund offer, and that I am partially responsible, and should pay for the lights to be sent back and a 30% restocking and re-listing fee.

Looks like I might have to take this to Court.

PML - This gets better and better.

I have been speaking to American DJ Europe, and I might end up becoming a Dealer for them! PML PML PML

chips
23-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I heard all good things from people about ebay,so i joined up.
The first and only thing i bought i had nothing but trouble from the seller.

Each to there own but never again with ebay.

Once bitten twice shy;)

Sorry to hear of your problems.