PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Best Price To Charge

curlzuk
27-02-2007, 07:32 PM
:)
HI I HAVE JUST JOINED AND LOVE THE SITE.:D
MY PARTNER AND I JUST STARTED DOING DISCO/KARAOKE, WE HAVE DONE 4 UP TILL NOW AND WENT DOWN ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT, THE QUESTION I DO WANT TO KNOW THO, IS,...:rolleyes:
WHAT IS THE BEST PRICE TO CHARGE, WHAT IS THE GOING RATE FOR DISCO/KARAOKE?:confused:
I,V ALWAYS SANG IN BANDS SO ALL THIS IS NEW TO ME,:bang:
LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING YOUR REPLYS
CHEERS FOR NOW :beer1: :p

Dragonfly
27-02-2007, 08:14 PM
have we started a section for blind djs????? :D :D :D

Jiggles
27-02-2007, 08:18 PM
AAAAAHHHHH :D i cant even read that!!!

Hello and Welcome to the MDD Please introduce your self in the Newbies section :)

Spirits High
27-02-2007, 08:18 PM
such beautiful english , dont you just love the modern education system.

LastMinuteDJs.net
27-02-2007, 08:21 PM

Hello and Welcome to the MDD Please introduce toyr self ion the Newbies section :)

AAAAAHHHHH :D i cant even read THAT!!!

Corabar Steve
27-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Hello and Welcome to the MDD Please introduce toyr self ion the Newbies section :)

such beautiful english , dont you just love the modern education system.
Nah, Callum just types faster than he thinks :d

Jiggles
27-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Nah, Callum just types faster than he thinks :d

SOOO true :( :D

Fixed :p

Corabar Steve
27-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah, welcome aboard Annette :d

Corabar Steve
27-02-2007, 08:28 PM
SOOO true :( :D

Fixed :p

Too late you've been quoted twice :P :d

Jiggles
27-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Too late you've been quoted twice :P :d

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum

A small pointer, as you may have gathered if you use all capitals on forums then people think you are shouting!

Corabar Steve
27-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the forum

A small pointer, as you may have gathered if you use all capitals on forums then people think you are shouting!
Annette was really shouting, it was bold & size 4 too http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif
(maybe it's really Dom Jolly in disguise.... HELLO.......... I'M ON A FORUM http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif)

sleah
27-02-2007, 10:53 PM
:)
HI I HAVE JUST JOINED AND LOVE THE SITE.:D
MY PARTNER AND I JUST STARTED DOING DISCO/KARAOKE, WE HAVE DONE 4 UP TILL NOW AND WENT DOWN ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT, THE QUESTION I DO WANT TO KNOW THO, IS,...:rolleyes:
WHAT IS THE BEST PRICE TO CHARGE, WHAT IS THE GOING RATE FOR DISCO/KARAOKE?:confused:
I,V ALWAYS SANG IN BANDS SO ALL THIS IS NEW TO ME,:bang:
LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING YOUR REPLYS
CHEERS FOR NOW :beer1: :p

:welcome2:
Let me be the first to try and answer your question. After I have taken my shades off and come back from the far side of the room:D

Just charge as much as you can get out of them :D

Not very helpful am I? :shrug:
I'm a part time part timer so just ignore me as I can't really give you good advice on pricing. Many of the members here will be able to help once they have finished taking the michael out of your first post:rolleyes:

:DJ: :corabarsteve: :banana: :daft: :beerchug:

jamesh
28-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Hmmmm think price is always a tricky one...

I don't think there is a standard charge for a disco or karaoke as such. I think different areas have different rough guides on prices but nothing is set in stone....

What i mean by that is the likes of a disco or karaoke in London tends to be more expensive than say an identical disco or karaoke in the likes of Birmingham or, Newcastle may be different to the likes of Wales or Scotland..... Prices differ depending on region. But then even the rough area price that your fellow dj's and kj's may be charging doesn't mean that's what you have to charge...

Personally I tend to base my prices on type of function, location, Time - as in amount of hours for example 7.30 - 11.30 plus an hour or so to set up and the same to pack away etc..

I do also think a little about the like of what equipment will be used for the function and how many people will be attending , if sound limiters are being used, if the venue is upstairs or downstairs, is it an easy get in.... and depending on the answers to those it will affect the price as these are all factors which will pretty much cost you money or time in some way or another so should be reflected in you price....

On the other hand it's no good taking into account all the above factors plus a few more and coming up with a figure of £500 if your area's rate is only based around £200 for the same service - as at a guess you may get some bookings but maybe not as many as you should.... It's swings and roundabouts really.

One thing you can bet your life on is there will always be people that say HOW MUCH! I KNOW SOME ONE THAT CAN DO IT FOR HALF THAT PRICE.... after you quote them....

My advice to you would be to speak to other dj's and kj's in you area to get a rough idea of their charges... and by that i don't mean phone them all up with a fake enquiry and then undercutting it - but actually phone or email them - introduce yourself, tell them that you are just starting out as you are far better making friends with them than undercutting and getting their backs up...

Anyway just my 2pence worth at 2.30am.... time for bed i think :)

DK Karaoke
28-02-2007, 03:59 AM
As previously said, it depends on the demand where you are, but generally (as is up north of England) you can charge at least £40 to £60 extra for karaoke. This is due to the extra amount of equip you have to take. You really have to gage it on the price you are getting on what you charge for Disco, then add some for the extra equip and carrying load etc.

Cheers and welcome.

Ps Have been working late tongiht, so posting late. One has to earn one's crust eh!!

curlzuk
28-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Hope this is small enough for you all now.
Just want to thank dk karaoke,Jamesh,and sleah for their help, that was really nice of you all to be able to get a decent answer once again THANKYOU!!!!!!!(OOOOPPPPPSSSSSS)

Corabar Steve
28-02-2007, 07:57 PM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif

Jiggles
28-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Steve!!!!!! :d:d:d:d:d

Dragonfly
28-02-2007, 08:26 PM
who is stev ???????

Corabar Steve
28-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Stev!!!!!! :d:d:d:d:d
What? I was laughing at this

THANKYOU!!!!!!!(OOOOPPPPPSSSSSS)
http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ed/tongue.gif

Jiggles
28-02-2007, 08:30 PM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ed/tongue.gif

Enough of that:D i thought it was me that was meant to be like that :D:D:D

Dazzy D
14-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Curlzuk- I think Jamesh gave you some good advice there. Especially the bit about networking with other KJs in the area and finding out what they charge. But, like Jamesh also said, don't come in and undercut them just for the sake of it. If your overheads are lower and you need to make less money then setting your prices lower is fair enough. But if you come in with the intention of undercutting them just to steal gigs then you'll make enemies and you'll lose out on a valuable source of help that these others can provide.

Your best bet is to try and work out how much a gig costs you and also how much money you'd like to make on top of your expenses. Then set your prices accordingly. To get some valuable experience you could try to get a residency agreement with a venue. You could try offering your services at a lower price to start with (for a trial period) and then offer discounts for block bookings. If you can get this kind of work midweek it leaves the weekends free for taking on karaoke discos and other, more lucrative work.

Just remember it can take a while to get established so my top tips are :

1. Do a good, lively job so people remember you
2. Be honest with clients. Don't be scared to admit your weaknesses and don't tell them you are capable of things that you're not. People don't like being lied to.
3. Enjoy the 'job'. If you're not enjoying it, you can't expect anyone else to.

These simple tips have helped me and I wouldn't work any other way.

Good luck in your job and I hope it pays off for you.