PDA

View Full Version : Van Insurance-Where to begin?

scoopd
12-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Looking at getting a van and i was just wondering what companies you would recommend.Do they charge double the cost of a car because It has DK gear in it etc?

Many Thanks

Danno13
12-03-2007, 10:39 PM
These are usually pretty cheap..

http://www.quinndirect.co.uk

dannyboy
13-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Looking at getting a van and i was just wondering what companies you would recommend.Do they charge double the cost of a car because It has DK gear in it etc?

Many Thanks

Wouldn't your PLI cover your gear I.E DJGuard/MusicGuard?

If so then it doesnt matter to the van insurance company whats stored in the van.

Creature
13-03-2007, 04:36 AM
try the post office website or just goto www.moneysupermarket.com :):) most impressed with the post offices quote for me mondeo estate (renewal was £220.00 post office 76.00) that im gonna try for the transit when thats due

Ricesnaps
13-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately it seems that insurance companies assess against risk, so the contents of the van are highly relevant to them.

can't remember who we're with, but I do remember what happened when I was getting quotes. As soon as you put your ocupation down as a DJ, up go the premiums. If you don't tell them you are using it for a disco, then certainly lower premiums, but highly unlikely your insurance will be valid should you have an accident or vehicle theft.

Interested to find out if there are any cheaper than mine though

DJ Frankie
13-03-2007, 07:34 AM
We got our van insurance through A Quote https://www.aquote.co.uk/frames.asp?pagecode=GV they have insured our van for my discos my wifes chair cover buisness and social domestic and plessure. The total was £575 a year.

soundtracker
13-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I use Aquote too, very competitive

Shaun
13-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Aquote for me too.

theoloyla
13-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Most companies put a loading of 100% on for anyone connected to the entertainment industry as they percieve us to be a bad risk. I have argued for years that this is discrimination against mobile dj's who in my experience are safe drivers. We dont drink and drive and are careful because we are carrying valuable equipment. I have challenged insurance companies to show that we have a bad claims record but none has ever done so. The only answer I once got was that we might have famous passengers in our vans and if they were injured there could be a big claim. Sounds highly unlikely to me. We are just getting ripped off.

Marc J
13-03-2007, 11:31 AM
The only answer I once got was that we might have famous passengers in our vans and if they were injured there could be a big claim. Sounds highly unlikely to me.

True, I was in Shaun's van once....

kd_entertainments
13-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Don go near commercial insurance, just say that you fancy a change of car and want a van!

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Don go near commercial insurance, just say that you fancy a change of car and want a van!

And then don't get paid out when they find you using it for business.....

Not sure that's a great idea.

DJ Frankie
13-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Very bad advice. :bang:

You SHOULD tell your insurance company you use your van for commercial use. If you are involved in a serious accident and the police check your van your insurance wont pay out......

As I mentioned earlier on I pay £575 a year and that covers me for commercial use for both my Businesses and a peace of mind. How bad can that be?

soundscapes
13-03-2007, 09:28 PM
i found it cheaper putting my occupation as sound/lighting engineer than mobile dj

Johnny
14-03-2007, 10:28 AM
As mention above if you don't mention you are a mobile Dj on your insurance than you could end up not being paid out in a claim.

Also if you are stopped by the police and are asked to produce your insurance details at the local cop shop. They would then find out that you do not have commercial insurance for your vehicle.

Just for the record I am with the Norwich Union cheapest I could find at the time.

julianiven1
16-02-2009, 03:33 PM
i find that they hype up the price for anyone in entertainment, but cvd-insurance.co.uk do ok for me - at least you get to talk to them.

ShiningStar
28-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Sorry your not allowed to advertise.

Vectis
28-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Huh?

Charlie Brown
28-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Sorry, Shining star was advertising his insurance company, so I deleted his post :)

Larry B Entertainment
28-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Many Thanks

Try Gladiator

I found that having a van was only about £80 more than insuring a car for me to drive. I told them it was for disco use and that didn't make much difference to them.

Ajaysdisco
28-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry, Shining star was advertising his insurance company, so I deleted his post :)

I dont know if I can say the name but the nodding dog has been the cheapest for me. ;)
It worked out about £200 cheaper than some of the others.

Larry B Entertainment
28-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I dont know if I can say the name but the nodding dog has been the cheapest for me. ;)

Clue ;)

http://www.spiersmotoring.co.uk/Churchill_logo.jpg

NKR
18-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I have my wifes shogun sport insured for full business insurance for both of us with my second profession as Entertainer.

Quote from those folks who say you don't need to be posh for just wifey and I with no business insurance and no entertainer. £450.

Quote from the bloke with the parrat on his shoulder for full business and entertainer. £460.

I pull a trailer full of DJ gear behind the said Shogun and fill it with stuff too, but I'm fully covered. So its no always the case its going to double your insurance.

Cj_The_Dj
18-09-2009, 04:24 PM
i use VAN cover.

DeckstarDeluxe
18-09-2009, 07:09 PM

I dont think this is part of the BBC :D

Mine was over 500 third party for a van worth 1800. It was through moneysupermarket.com or a similar site.

Cj_The_Dj
18-09-2009, 09:30 PM
i use VAN cover.

its 40 quid a month for my dad..