PDA

View Full Version : My new web site.....

Penfold42
16-03-2007, 10:29 PM
If you have a few mins can you check this out see what you think.....

www.andromedaroadshow.co.uk

All comments welcome.......I have a piece of rope out back!!!

rob1963
17-03-2007, 02:12 PM
If you have a few mins can you check this out see what you think.....

All comments welcome.......I have a piece of rope out back!!!

Hi penmare,

I personally don't like the stars & shapes in the background, as for me they detract from the text. I'd also lose the dancing granny for the same reason.

I'd lose the line of coloured balls which follow the cursor on the home page, as I find this annoying.

I think you could also have a bit more info on the "About us" page.

Finally, I get wound up when sites allow me to click on a link to a page, and then the page comes up with a message like "Under construction - come back soon"

If I was you, I'd either get some pics on the gallery page now, or completely remove the page until they are ready.

Hope this helps, and don't worry - you can leave that piece of rope out back!

:D

Dragonfly
17-03-2007, 02:19 PM
id agree with the cursor thing and i dont personally think the text colour/ background colour works too well although i do like purple. be careful not to rush pictures up as i really hate sites with "this is my gear in my kitchen" pics. take your time over your site theres no rush, move the we do not do stuff to the bottom on the about us page if you feel you need it at all if there is something i dont do i tell a prospective client when they ask for it or when they make an enquiry .......

focus on what you do do and what you can offer.

sorry if this seems really negative my first site was alot worse than that trust me ... just dont try and build it in a day.

Shaun
17-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree with the comments about the shapes and stars, they are too prominent and distracting. The dancing granny is just awful (sorry). :o

Once those few small things are tweaked and more content is added you'll be heading in the right direction. :)

Thames Valley Discos
17-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I dont like the animated gifs either

rob1963
17-03-2007, 11:08 PM
One more thing I've just noticed - I would lose the hit counter.

Presumably you get webstats which give you the hit details, but people viewing your site don't need to know this information.

If they see that you've only had 60 hits, they might think "That disco site isn't very popular...I'll find a better one"

Penfold42
18-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Have taken all that is mentioned on board. I'm no afraid of criticism as i asked for you comments. If you ask for comments expect what you get back!
Criticism can be taken two ways - you either get the hump and say 'Stuff you' or you can spin it the other way and use it to your advantage. I've learnt to use it to my advantage with the other job I do.

So looking at the comments made I have changed the following (In the process of)
1 - Removed the granny - I thought that was a laugh but it is a bit tacky to say the least. Gone.
2 - Hit counter gone - Good point not to let people see who good or bad you are.
3 - Gallery removed - I too hate that when you see it. But until you are on the other end of it, you don't realise.
4 - I like the purple but agree it's 'a bit to much' - Looking to tone that down a bit.
5 - About us - Trying to word this a bit more better and looking to increase content. Sit down tonight and think a bit more - Mothers day is taking prority at the moment! (so it should)

I'm probebly guilty of trying to get everything together to fast....it will come.

Thanks once again for you advise.:D :D :D

DK Karaoke
18-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi penmare,

I personally don't like the stars & shapes in the background, as for me they detract from the text. I'd also lose the dancing granny for the same reason.

I'd lose the line of coloured balls which follow the cursor on the home page, as I find this annoying.

I think you could also have a bit more info on the "About us" page.

Hi, I agree with the above also. I would also remove the graphic at the top of the page, its not very clear, and makes the site look, tacky.

You might try shortening the first (home) page also, unless you intend to fill the entire page with words.

The colour theme is good however, and the picture graphic to the right, mid way down, is good also.

Did you use software to create the webpage, or did you hard code it yourself?

Hope the above helps.

Martyn

Penfold42
18-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I used software, I'm not that clever on these...:eek:

Anyway I've had a little play with the site and think it's better.
Any comments again please.

Thanks.:)

Dragonfly
18-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Im liking the pink much better why is there only one square of star back ground top left? ..... black background is very stereo typical of disco websites and personally i dont like it ..... i changed mine to black for 3 months and noticed a downturn in enquiries......

is it supposed to be lopsided ??? everything down the right hand side?

Penfold42
18-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Im liking the pink much better why is there only one square of star back ground top left? ..... black background is very stereo typical of disco websites and personally i dont like it ..... i changed mine to black for 3 months and noticed a downturn in enquiries......

is it supposed to be lopsided ??? everything down the right hand side?

Thats the way the software is designed - if I try and stretch it, it looks silly.
I've tried to make all the text central on the page and unfortunatly it's come out looking slightly to the right. I've also tried to keep the pages short.

Thanks for looking....i'll get there in the end.:)

Dragonfly
18-03-2007, 09:21 PM
its a long old job chap stick with it you are getting there

Penfold42
18-03-2007, 10:09 PM
:thanks: