PDA

View Full Version : Advice on website background colour please

rob1963
23-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Following my recent thread requesting opinions on my website, the main thing that came out was that my white writing on a blue background is not easy to read. I am therefore considering 2 options:

1) Changing the background to a very dark blue - to improve the contrast between the text & background, making the text easier to read.

2) Changing the background colour to black (despite the hot debate about white on black & black on white!)

I'm drawn towards option 2.

Firstly, white on black gives the maximum contrast - making the text much easier to read than at present. Secondly, a black background would match my header. Thirdly, (as previously mentioned in threads on here), a black background would give my site a "night time" feel, which ties in with the mobile disco business.

Please can I have opinions on which of these two options you think would be best.

Thanks guys! :)

http://www.robjamesentertainment.co.uk

Ricesnaps
23-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Rob,

I'm sure that there are others who will either shoot me down or verify my comments.

As I understand it, white on black is one of the more difficult combinations of text colour / background combinations to read. Can't completely remember the arguments, but I think it's to do with the contrast between the two makes it difficult, even painful for some viewers. You and I might think it looks great, but there are accepted protocols for web design based on lots of things.

I changed my site from white on black a couple of years ago to black on very light grey because I understood it was better design and the comments and response has certainly been a lot better since i did that.

I would think, if you are determined to stick with a black or dark background, a light grey text would be more suitable?

CRAZY K
23-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Following my recent thread requesting opinions on my website, the main thing that came out was that my white writing on a blue background is not easy to read. I am therefore considering 2 options:

1) Changing the background to a very dark blue - to improve the contrast between the text & background, making the text easier to read.

2) Changing the background colour to black (despite the hot debate about white on black & black on white!)

I'm drawn towards option 2.

Firstly, white on black gives the maximum contrast - making the text much easier to read than at present. Secondly, a black background would match my header. Thirdly, (as previously mentioned in threads on here), a black background would give my site a "night time" feel, which ties in with the mobile disco business.

Please can I have opinions on which of these two options you think would be best.

Thanks guys! :)

http://www.robjamesentertainment.co.uk

You may also like to consider the valuable marketing aspects of this.

People are attracted by colours---ask everyone whats your favourite colour--usually the sensible ones give a straight answer---mines blue for example.

If that were not the case all cars would be Henry Ford black.

In the world of selling its an important feature--so getting colour right is important not only to read the text but to attract customers.

Its quite a complex subject and certain colours attract a certain type of person.

Me? I have Green, Red, Blue and Grey sites---just in case I missed anyone :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

Marc J
23-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I take it changing your header is not an option?

If that's the case, I'd say change your content to a black background, but with a light grey text as Ricesnaps said. Not so "harsh" on the eyes.

rob1963
23-03-2007, 01:01 PM
I take it changing your header is not an option?

If that's the case, I'd say change your content to a black background, but with a light grey text as Ricesnaps said. Not so "harsh" on the eyes.

Yes Marc...I want to keep the header as it is.

Thanks for the advice. I value what you say, as I know you're a web designer rather than a DJ, so you're more of an expert than most of us here.

I'll seriously consider your suggestion. :)

pagan_flame
23-03-2007, 06:41 PM
If you are going with a black background, make the font a little larger than normal, or Bold / Strong tag it to make it stand out better.

Also remember, if using a background image, to make the page background colour the same (i.e. black), as if there is a delay in loading the background image, your punters will be looking at a blank page (i.e. white / grey text on white / default bg)

(PS I'm a DJ who used to be a web designer...)