PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Ban and your disco

kd_entertainments
23-03-2007, 10:40 AM
At the end of April, Smoking in public places in Northern Ireland will be illegal. Its already illegal in Scotland and the government are bringing the ban into England and Wales soon. This means that venues / pubs / clubs will be smoke free!:)

Its a mixed blessing for me, One on hand my job will be healthier and and ill not be coming in from gigs stinking of smoke and the equipment will not stink of smoke! But the other hand, people will leave the dancefloor to walk outside for a smoke!:bang:

What do you all think about the ban?

Paul James Promotions
23-03-2007, 10:42 AM
I honestly cannot wait.

Shaun
23-03-2007, 10:50 AM
It's been great since the smoking ban came into effect here in Scotland. No more equipment (and myself) stinking of smoke after a gig.

soundtracker
23-03-2007, 10:51 AM
To be honest most of the venues that I play already have a no smoking rule, it will undoubtedly affect the working mens club/pub type events but I don't want them anyway.

jaygees
23-03-2007, 10:58 AM
i have noticed a change as most of the smokers are outside, but most venues dont allow smoking anyway.

i dont think it will have much of an effect to discos but it might hit the clubs hard.

i wonder if the smoke and haze machines will slowly die out aswell ???:(

ross@rds
23-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Its been amazing up in Scotland. All discos i have done it has not affected only bad it is when you walk out at the end of the night you have to walk throught a door of smoke its like stars in there eyes lol.

But at least my gear and i dont stink anymore and it better for my heath so in all am glad its been put in place.

Shaun
23-03-2007, 11:07 AM
i wonder if the smoke and haze machines will slowly die out aswell ???:(

I can't see any reason why.

DJ Frankie
23-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Bring it on thats what i say. Why should we breath other peoples habbits....

Stephen_N.I.
23-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Mixed bag I'd say.
It'll encourage astmatics etc to come out.
And we'll not stink out smoke the next day.
Even the speakers etc stink of it!
IMO - Long overdue.

Dragonfly
23-03-2007, 11:44 AM
apparently as I understood it the ban did not include members clubs ie. where people had paid a fee to join the club??? might have misunderstood that or misheard it but ........ if it is the case ....... could that not be a loop hole the size of Canada?

nope just looked it up and they will be banned too but you will be allowed to smoke in hotels ..... quick guys get some flyers round the local ones lol

CRAZY K
23-03-2007, 11:46 AM
At the end of April, Smoking in public places in Northern Ireland will be illegal. Its already illegal in Scotland and the government are bringing the ban into England and Wales soon. This means that venues / pubs / clubs will be smoke free!:)

Its a mixed blessing for me, One on hand my job will be healthier and and ill not be coming in from gigs stinking of smoke and the equipment will not stink of smoke! But the other hand, people will leave the dancefloor to walk outside for a smoke!:bang:

What do you all think about the ban?

Well as there has been an announcement that smoking and alcohol are more dangerous drugs than some we think are dangerous--cannabis I think was one mentioned--maybe they will ban alcohol from Pubs as well:bang:

Welcome to the lunatic asylum that is Britain.

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
23-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Well as there has been an announcement that smoking and alcohol are more dangerous drugs than some we think are dangerous--cannabis I think was one mentioned--maybe they will ban alcohol from Pubs as well:bang:

CRAZY K

bring on the coffee shops :D :D :D

they do a roaring trade in Amsterdam

Corabar Steve
23-03-2007, 12:02 PM

CRAZY K

So cannabis is less harmful than tobacco? I can just imagine health conscious stoners rolling up neat cannabis spliffs coz it's less harmful :d

Shaun
23-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Well as there has been an announcement that smoking and alcohol are more dangerous drugs than some we think are dangerous

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't say more dangerous...but definitely AS dangerous.

rob1963
23-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I think the smoking ban will have more positive effects than negative ones.

I used to be a smoker, but gave up just over a year ago. When working in non-smoking venues, it wasn't a problem to put on the odd 12 inch mix & nip outside for a quick fag.

I'm sure that punters who smoke will do the same, and just pop outside now & again for a smoke...so I can't really see the ban causing any problems.

On the positive side, I will no longer be passively smoking 1 or 2 fags every night, and as already mentioned, my gear will stop stinking too.

Roll on 1st July! :)

PS-When I smoked, I kept reading how bad smoking was...so I gave up reading! :D :D :D

theoloyla
23-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Most of my venues too have already gone smoke free. I miss having a fag some of the time when I am dj'ing (yes I am a smoker and enjoy it) but it doesnt bother me too much. There does tend to be a tendency for smokers to go outside for a fag and I think this makes for later starts to dancing which will be even more noticeable in the summer months.

BeerFunk
23-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Best thing that ever happened up here, seriously. My local used to be really bad when it was busy, I mean it made my eyes water and gave me a headache, as their air conditioning was non existant.

As for DJing, again no headaches and stinking clothes at the end of the night, and the dancefloor is so much cleaner looking - without being littered with cigarette butts and trodden in ash. It's over a year now since we had the ban, and it seems crazy looking back that it was ever allowed! :D

Oh, and I agree with Ross, it is a bit of a nightmare getting in and out of some venues with the inevitable smokers' huddle around the entrance!

Twinspin
23-03-2007, 03:04 PM
cant wait either. I dont smoke myself (never have once in my life) I cant wait to work in some nice smoke free venues. Where i dont have to breathe in other peoples smoke.

BRING ON THE BAN!!

dannyboy
23-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Still unsure really.

I did an 18th a few weeks ago where the girls parants requested that the room was no smoking.

I found it alot harder than a "smoking party" due to the fact that especially the girls would leave the dancefloor in a large group, go outside and then return.

Which isn't a majorly bad thing if theres a large attendence, but if they time it right with just before I bring in the next track the dancefloor looks bare.

The remaining dancers dont want to be dancing without the friends or on an empty dancefloor and usually use this period to get a round in.

Was in Tenerifee last year and found since the smoking ban kicked in there, everyone seems to sit outside untill the only club open is totally indoors.

Smokers or non smokers because people like to be where there is an atmosphere (All be it a smokey one.) but nobody likes sitting in an empty pub/bar club.

Which must be a total nightmare for the DJ, but as there are speakers outside the crowd can still hear the music.

Candybeatdiscos
23-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Worst thing that could have happened in my opinion.

Now most of you will point to the fact that I am a smoker and that I am biased, which to be honest is not the case.

3 pubs round my area have now closed and have no real signs of reopening...why?.....Smokers have started to stay in the house and drink th cheap beer from Asda etc.

Everyone has a right...hence we live in a democratic country, however smokers now seem to be getting pushed away, I agree non smokers should not have to breathe my smoke, however plenty pubs & clubs have two bars where they can have a smoking section and a non smoking section, also i believe that 50% of pubs should be totally non-smoking and the other 50% half smoking and half non smoking, with notoices clearly stating that being employed by this pub/club or entering this establishment means you will be subjected to smoke......You then have the choice.

At the end of the day they have removed the rights of smokers in Scotland, which make up a large majority of the voting public, so i will be interested to see the results of the Scottish Elections in little over a month away.

Again I agree that food area's and restraunts should not permit smoking but come on a total ban?

As for the question of smoke/haze machines - yes it will kill of these machines simply due to the fact that clubs/pubs are now starting to install new smoke detection alarms and i have found certain establishments now saying not to put the smoke machines on as a result.

Cj_The_Dj
23-03-2007, 05:41 PM
this is good beacuse the people on the floor dont get a mouth full of somke and me 2 i am happy with the ban but will people stop comeing to the disco beacuse they smoke and dont want 2 go out side all the time

CRAZY K
23-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I'd agree with that. I wouldn't say more dangerous...but definitely AS dangerous.

Thats a fair summary---Its just that alcohol and smoking just take a lot longer to have an effect--- maybe a lifetime---- so they are not so noticed so much--but hey think how much Tax the Government would lose if everyone stopped smoking and drinking.

Never mind killing people slowly---wot about the lost revenue to the Government:eek:

CRAZY K

PropellerHeadCase
23-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Never mind killing people slowly---wot about the lost revenue to the Government:eek:

Well, given that most of that revenue goes NHS and lung cancer I think it's a fair swap ;)

funkymike
23-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Right, after a few glasses of 'pop' it now my turn....

Why are so many of you saying you cant wait for the ban to come into place? and you wont smell of fag smoke, sorry thought you done disco's in places that sell beer and normally the customers smoke, its called anight out, why do disco's in the first place, you knew the risk before you started the job!!!!

Are you going to complain your going deaf next and you cant wait for sound limiters to be legal.

I suspect this is the start of the end for the entertainment industry

mike

rob1963
23-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Why are so many of you saying you cant wait for the ban to come into place? and you wont smell of fag smoke, sorry thought you done disco's in places that sell beer and normally the customers smoke, its called anight out, why do disco's in the first place, you knew the risk before you started the job!!!!

Are you going to complain your going deaf next and you cant wait for sound limiters to be legal.

I suspect this is the start of the end for the entertainment industry

mike

Mike - the reason many of us are saying we can't wait for the smoking ban to come into place is because we dont like our clothes & gear stinking of fags, and we dont like breathing in other peoples second hand smoke, which is presumably why the ban is being introduced here...as well as in many other countries.

Yes - we work in places where people smoke. That doesn't mean we like the situation...and fortunately, after 1st July, us DJs will all be much healthier.

With all due respect, your suggestion that a smoking ban will be the start of the end of the entertainment industry is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on these forums.

I am trying to work out whether your thread was serious, or whether you were trying to wind us up, or whether it was just the drink talking.

PropellerHeadCase
23-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Exactly, smokers are anachronistic in this day and age. You want a night out? Fine. Just don't shave weeks off my life whilst you're poisoning yourself.

Nothing to do with DJing, by the way, I'm talking in general. It's just that when DJing you get the concentrated effect of all the punters' smoke the whole night.

Drinking in moderation has been shown to have health benefits because of the reduction of the physical manifestations of stress and so on and these aren't outweighed by any harm that alcohol does to the body, smoking on the other hand...

So :beer1:

BeerFunk
23-03-2007, 11:26 PM
I shouldn't be too offended/shocked at Mike's statement - he has made similar controversial statements before - blame it on the :beer1:! ;)

Every job, no matter how good it is, has it's pitfalls - DJing just happens/happened to include smoky atmospheres.

Anyway, I'm not going to go into this debate any further, as we've had it before, and it tends to get overheated; and certainly leads to no conclusions.

pagan_flame
24-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Two words - Roy Castle.

Corabar Steve
24-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Well, given that most of that revenue goes NHS and lung cancer I think it's a fair swap ;)
Have you seen the state of NHS funding? I don't know where the revenue is going but it's not to the NHS.

Drinking in moderation has been shown to have health benefits because of the reduction of the physical manifestations of stress and so on and these aren't outweighed by any harm that alcohol does to the body, smoking on the other hand...
..........relieves stress. :dhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif:d

Dragonfly
24-03-2007, 09:45 AM
once heard a fantastic analogy of the smoking/drinking conundrum but dont think its appropriate for a family forum .... very true words though.

Shaun
24-03-2007, 10:13 AM

I have the option of turning down the volume to save my ear-drums. In a smoke filled room I don't have the option of not breathing in the contaminated air. I'm not totally anti-smoking, I used to be a heavy smoker (40 a day) so I know what it's like to need to smoke. I've always said that venues should be allowed a designated room in the premises for smoking, with strict guidelines in regards to proper ventilation etc. Making people crowd around the entrances with huge plumes of smoke just doesn't make sense.

Apart from that I LOVE the smoking ban.

Dragonfly
24-03-2007, 10:17 AM
as far as i'm aware deafness doesn't lead to premature death?????

Corabar Steve
24-03-2007, 10:57 AM
as far as i'm aware deafness doesn't lead to premature death?????Only if you don't hear that bus that's rapidly bearing down on you when you cross the road looking the other way :d

(actually saw that (non fatal thankfully) in my days as a bus conductor)

theoloyla
24-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Worst thing that could have happened in my opinion.

Now most of you will point to the fact that I am a smoker and that I am biased, which to be honest is not the case.

3 pubs round my area have now closed and have no real signs of reopening...why?.....Smokers have started to stay in the house and drink th cheap beer from Asda etc.

Everyone has a right...hence we live in a democratic country, however smokers now seem to be getting pushed away, I agree non smokers should not have to breathe my smoke, however plenty pubs & clubs have two bars where they can have a smoking section and a non smoking section, also i believe that 50% of pubs should be totally non-smoking and the other 50% half smoking and half non smoking, with notoices clearly stating that being employed by this pub/club or entering this establishment means you will be subjected to smoke......You then have the choice.

At the end of the day they have removed the rights of smokers in Scotland, which make up a large majority of the voting public, so i will be interested to see the results of the Scottish Elections in little over a month away.

Again I agree that food area's and restraunts should not permit smoking but come on a total ban?

As for the question of smoke/haze machines - yes it will kill of these machines simply due to the fact that clubs/pubs are now starting to install new smoke detection alarms and i have found certain establishments now saying not to put the smoke machines on as a result.
I am not surprised by your report of pubs closing down. Here in the south east we have lost loads of pubs already due to people bringing in cheap booze from the continent plus property prices mean you can knock down a pub and build several houses and become a millionaire overnight. There is now a lack of social amenities which affects dj's as function rooms have disappeared too. I am sure that the smoking ban will result in further pubs closing. I dont see a big latent market of people desparate to go to the pub several nights a week who dont because people smoke there BUT I am sure there are a lot of regular drinkers who if they cant smoke at the pub will choose to drink at home.

Dragonfly
24-03-2007, 11:17 AM
(actually saw that (non fatal thankfully) in my days as a bus conductor)

I now have very strange and disturbing mental images :D :D

sleah
25-03-2007, 10:45 PM
At the end of the day they have removed the rights of smokers

That argument gets my back up a bit. What RIGHT do you think you should have to poison others?
A bad example.... but you could say that the laws on mobile phone use remove the right to use the phone whilst driving.
The terrorism laws try to prevent people releasing poisonous gas or blowing up explosives. You don't hear anyone asking about their right to do it?
This leads to a pet hate of mine that is connected......
People who are chucked out of a pub or just not allowed in who seem to think they have a right to be in there.
No-one has any right to go in any licenced premises, it is at the landlord's discresion. If (s)he doesn't want you in they don't need any reason to keep you out.
SO... no-one has any right to smoke in said venue! Therefore the only rights being removed are the right of the landlord to allow smoking (or not).

Right, after a few glasses of 'pop' it now my turn.... why do disco's in the first place, you knew the risk before you started the job!!!!

Despite the beer speak:D there is agrain of truth in what Mike is saying.
However, the sound issue is covered under the H&S at work laws, as is quality and temperature of air.
So they are finally enforcing H&S law with regard to air quality!
Workers should be protected by the Duty of Care, you can't say they shouldn't take the job if they can't take the risks.... there shouldn't be any!

As a DJ you are covered by H&S at work act and the H&S policy of whatever building you are working in.

Candybeatdiscos
26-03-2007, 12:41 AM
That argument gets my back up a bit. What RIGHT do you think you should have to poison others?
A bad example.... but you could say that the laws on mobile phone use remove the right to use the phone whilst driving.
The terrorism laws try to prevent people releasing poisonous gas or blowing up explosives. You don't hear anyone asking about their right to do it?

Terrorism is illegal, as with using a mobile phone whilst driving, both of these "crimes" carry a jail sentance and only the person breaking the law will be punished for it.

However Smoking is not against the law, therefore its a right, which has been taken away.

As i have said why not allow smokers to go into some pubs and non smokers go into another?

At the end of the day the non-smokers have got their way....so much for a "Democratic" country eh?

also i have noticed that non-smokers now go outside when the smokers do in order to chat etc....so it makes no sense really...we as DJ's still end up with empty halls etc.

Listen this argument will carry on no doubt, but the law aint gonna change, so its pointless debating something that we cannot actually do anything about.

PropellerHeadCase
26-03-2007, 02:43 AM
At the end of the day the non-smokers have got their way....so much for a "Democratic" country eh?

I don't know about the UK but in New Zealand there are at least three times as many non-smokers as there are smokers, I'll warrant that smokers are the very vocal minority in the UK, too. It is absolutely democracy at work, the majority have got their way. And a great many smokers are using the law change as a kick in the pants to stop smoking. Win/Win if you ask me.

As to people going outside to talk with the smokers... there's a lot more airspace for the smoke to dissipate into outside, furthermore those non-smokers are making that choice.

CRAZY K
26-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Terrorism is illegal, as with using a mobile phone whilst driving, both of these "crimes" carry a jail sentance and only the person breaking the law will be punished for it.

However Smoking is not against the law, therefore its a right, which has been taken away.

As i have said why not allow smokers to go into some pubs and non smokers go into another?

also i have noticed that non-smokers now go outside when the smokers do in order to chat etc....so it makes no sense really...we as DJ's still end up with empty halls etc.

Listen this argument will carry on no doubt, but the law aint gonna change, so its pointless debating something that we cannot actually do anything about.

Well there is---its called the ballot box--but you have to find a "freedom" party to vote for---might be difficult.

Agree entirely with your comments---but hey this is nothing---wait till the EU starts really kicking in --:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
26-03-2007, 08:50 AM

Surely though its the right of the others to go about their daily lives without having to pay the consequences of those who wish to die prematurely? at 11.45am today Iam attending the funeral of a family friend who passed a week ago from lung cancer .......... never having smoked a cigarette in his 50 year life. It is the right of smokers to smoke but not pollute the bodies of others I wasnt going to post this and my apologies if it is a bit ott.

I man once wrote when being asked in a pub if he minded the chap next to him smoking.

" You my friend smoke , I on the other hand drink"

"The product of your smoking is poisonous fumes which you breathe out and I and others around me have no choice but to breathe in"

"The product of my drinking is urine .... which I descreetly dispose of in the facilities provided unknown and seen by anyone else"

"To sum up my friend and answer your question ...... I dont mind if you smoke .... if you dont mind if I wee on your shoes"

sums it up quite well I think.

CRAZY K
26-03-2007, 11:08 AM
:eek:
Surely though its the right of the others to go about their daily lives without having to pay the consequences of those who wish to die prematurely? at 11.45am today Iam attending the funeral of a family friend who passed a week ago from lung cancer .......... never having smoked a cigarette in his 50 year life. It is the right of smokers to smoke but not pollute the bodies of others I wasnt going to post this and my apologies if it is a bit ott.

I man once wrote when being asked in a pub if he minded the chap next to him smoking.

" You my friend smoke , I on the other hand drink"

"The product of your smoking is poisonous fumes which you breathe out and I and others around me have no choice but to breathe in"

"The product of my drinking is urine .... which I descreetly dispose of in the facilities provided unknown and seen by anyone else"

"To sum up my friend and answer your question ...... I dont mind if you smoke .... if you dont mind if I wee on your shoes"

sums it up quite well I think.

I just think smokers should have their own room in pubs etc then they can kill each other which is fine by me as a non smoker:D

Inflicting an early death on the rest of us I dont agree with.

I just heard a friend of mine who is a heavy smoker is suffering from furred up arteries--he got a bit depressed so he went down the pub for a smoke and a drink:eek: :eek: :eek: Just to help things:eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

theoloyla
26-03-2007, 11:10 AM
There are more non smokers nowadays than smokers and as that trend increases it is only right that they should have the freedom not to have to breathe in cigarette smoke BUT nanny state banning smoking at all in public (even in members clubs etc) is a step too far. Making it law that smokers should only use designated smoking areas would have been quite sufficient. Health and Safety issues are ruining our lives. Kids cant play conkers at school, village carnivals cant take place because of the same rules. Every day you see something in the news that is ridiculously banned on the grounds of health and safety.

Have a disco
26-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I remember years ago that there use to be a main bar and a lounge bar in a major amount of pubs then alot were turned into single bars why dont they just reverse that trend and have seperate areas for smoking and non smoking

stupid politic correctness no one ever forced non smokers to work in a smokie environment. I will have to accept a non smoking rule regardless but Im very unhappy about it already it has started people spending most of night outside just for a cigerette

PropellerHeadCase
26-03-2007, 08:17 PM
no one ever forced non smokers to work in a smokie environment.

Really? Ever been a parent where you had to get some part time evening work to supplement your partners income? Choices are pretty limited.

If people would rather stand outside and smoke all night than get on the floor and have a boogie it just goes to show how anti-social the habit actually is.