PDA

View Full Version : Wedding speeches

Ricesnaps
07-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Just been having a discussion at home about this one.

I have been taking booking for a wedding speeches package for this year and have a few lined up, however wasn't until now I started to consider exactly how this worked on the day?

So anyone got any ideas. I have a few thoughts:

1. I am not and don't intend to be a toastmaster
2. Currently I only have one microphone (radio mic)
3. Do I just give the microphone to the groom and leave them to get on with it?
4. Should I be taking the microphone and passing it to the next speaker?
5. Do I need two mics - one at each end of the table - or does that just make things confusing?
6. When do you take the mic to the top table?

Plus answers to any other questions I may not have asked that I should have done!

sleah
07-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Unless you sell yourself as a toast master then don't be, this includes any interaction with the top table.
During the speeches you are not a DJ, but a technical operator or AV technician, so your duty is to supply the mic to the groom or toastmaster and let them get on with it and pass it round as they see fit. If they are incapable of or unwilling to passing the mic between themselves then run away, far away.
It is fair and in your interests to sit at the console and ride the fader just in case.
It's up to you if you want to supply more mics. One is quite acceptable!
Just take the mic at an opportune moment, just before the groom/toastmaster announces the speeches. Keep in constant contact with them regarding timing.
A table top mic stand is a good idea if you want to avoid resting the mic on the table and it rolling off! They can just unclip it when they need it.

You have a radio mic which is a must. I have to go and hide at the very though of a wired mic at the top table:eek: although I'm sure many get away with it:rolleyes:

I think that's it. the only problem is it becomes a long day/evening:(

PropellerHeadCase
08-04-2007, 12:04 AM
I agree with all of the above.

A couple more tips...

If you have a spare mic input on your mixer plug a line mic in for your own use. There are several reasons for this...
01) you aren't relying on the MC to return the mic to you in order to be able to address the guests
02) if the microphone isn't returned to you and you are tied up with playing music or other things you can request that it be returned

Also, the quieter someone speaks without a microphone the more timid they are with one, and thus the further from their mouth they hold it, so, very often, you end up pushing the mic volume up so far that you get feedback. I've found that actually turning the volume down when they do this works well! Why? Because fairly quickly they'll stop and look at you as it seems like the mic isn't working or someone will yell out 'Speak up!' and THEN they'll stop and look at you. Either way, with your trusty line mic close at hand you can illustrate to them where they should be holding the mic ;)