PDA

View Full Version : Used my Acme's for the first time

Shakermaker Promotions
15-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

Took the Acme Dynamos with me to my Indie night on friday. It's a small venue that I hire out once a month, I always hit capacity which is 210.

Took me a bit longer than usual to set up and I made sure the cables were as tidy as possible. I plugged in the controller and just pressed a few buttons along the way. So....what did I think?

Awesome to be honest. The colours are really nice and bright considering the bulbs are only 100w. I do agree that they are very 'busy' and are more for clubby atmospheres. It didn't take me long to get to grips with what buttons did what sequence. I think that you also need to have something else on the stand too just to fill the gaps that the Acmes leave when they are doing their thing. I set up a Twister III facing the ceiling and also an Abyss on the side wall and overall it looked great.

I had a few comments from people that the lights were great and the venue owner loved them too. When I told them the price they couldn't believe it.

One thing though - I think that if I were using them at a wedding I would have them turned off until the night really got going so that's when you need a couple of other lights just to fill up and create an atmosphere that's more chilled whilst in the early stages and during the buffet etc.

For an 18th or 21st...well, they're perfect. I recommend these lights big time.
Thanks to whoever recommended them to me in the first place.

Candybeatdiscos
15-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes totally agree mate, i also bought 4 Dynamos on monday for only £330. I tried them out last night for the first time at a joint 21st, the comments i got were unbelievable, I also popped in two mobile spirals (cheap but not bad) a moonflower (in the centre) a firebird (cheap but hey) and a flower gobo (300watt and very powerful). - combined with the haze machine - Awesome

heres a few pics

flatliners
15-04-2007, 08:49 PM
nice to hear people happy i was thinking about the dynamos as i thought 8 of them and 4 dynatwins would look good but thougt about it and went foe the irocks but its nice to see you like them

Penfold42
15-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I have four dynamos - used them Friday...spot on.:p

ross@rds
15-04-2007, 09:36 PM
The look the biz i'm off to buy some on friday :)

Penfold42
15-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I had them all PAT tested last week and the guy said the leads were all 13amp leads fitted with 13amp fuses and needed to be 5amp fuses - so i changed them all.
Don't know if this is the norm.
Does this sound correct? I changed them any way but i brought mine second hand.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-04-2007, 10:04 PM
I had them all PAT tested last week and the guy said the leads were all 13amp leads fitted with 13amp fuses and needed to be 5amp fuses - so i changed them all.
Don't know if this is the norm.
Does this sound correct? I changed them any way but i brought mine second hand.

I was having this conversation very recently.

If you need to change the fuse in a plug to something else, then you need to also change the plug if it has a different rating on it, otherwise it won't pass PAT.

Eg: A plug which has a 13amp fuse written on it, must have a 13amp fuse in it.

Penfold42
15-04-2007, 10:07 PM

If you need to change the fuse in a plug to something else, then you need to also change the plug if it has a different rating on it, otherwise it won't pass PAT.

He passed mine. While he was testing other items i just placed a 5amp fuse in it.....:confused:
He said that was ok.....still more confused? :confused:

DMX Will
15-04-2007, 10:08 PM

And as the effects more than likely have an internal fuse...having a 13A fuse isn't a big deal.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-04-2007, 10:13 PM
He passed mine. While he was testing other items i just placed a 5amp fuse in it.....:confused:
He said that was ok.....still more confused? :confused:

The trouble is with PAT, is that there is a certain amount of interpretation with each person that's doing the testing.

Steve's just done a C&G course in it - what's your view Steve?

Penfold42
15-04-2007, 10:15 PM
And as the effects more than likely have an internal fuse...having a 13A fuse isn't a big deal.

:thanks:

Having a second opion allways helps.;)
What a day!!!!

Corabar Steve
15-04-2007, 10:16 PM
A lot of it is down to common sense with the tester

Penfold42
15-04-2007, 10:24 PM
A lot of it is down to common sense with the tester

The guy that did it was a DJ or part time. He let me 'spill my yarn' then told he he did a bit a gigging. Asked him what he used - Technics and here he was testing my buget stuff....gutted.:(
He did mention he was doing a set in May...think i'll go along.
Getting to the point if he knows what's what, that i'll do for me.
But allways good to hear if from someone else.

BeerFunk
15-04-2007, 10:34 PM
The guy that did it was a DJ or part time. He let me 'spill my yarn' then told he he did a bit a gigging. Asked him what he used - Technics and here he was testing my buget stuff....gutted.:(
Sorry, slightly off topic, but... Technics?? They are living off the same fundamental design of direct drive turntable since about 1976 (?). They have dipped into the mixer market, average results, then went into the CD turntable market and failed miserably. Also, Vestax have arguably manufactured a better vinyl turntable than their SL1200/SL1210. So.. Technics doesn't impress me! :D