PDA

View Full Version : Im New In the House - BBoy Gnash

BBoy-Gnash
16-04-2007, 08:37 AM
I’ve been a Dj since the age of ten and a BBoying for about 5 years and attend jams regularly; I also enjoy Free Running and Parkour as it use similar disciplines. I DJ at weekends, mostly teen parties, and we incorporate a few routines in the nights entertainment.

I’m a member of a Free Running team called “Team Evil” which is a Bristol based crew. I’ve been Free Running for about eighteen months and there isn’t much I won’t attempt, I live off the adrenalin rush.

Theres a link below to see the BBoy Crew in action:

BBoys - Titch - Gnash (Me) - Rix - Edit & Mash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97MxKjNK48

A link to some tricking pictures, were mostly upside down :)

http://www.bboy-crew.co.uk/images/tricking/index.htm

We run BBoy workshops locally and are always on the lookout for new tallent and if you have a crew we are laying on Summer Battles in association with Red Bull. There will loads of Free Red Bull for any crews interested and a purse for the winning crew, were not sure how much yet but usually about £500.00.

If your interested then mail: [email protected]

We all had a massive weekend last week at the Beat Battles at Hackney Empire following a Masterclass we had with Crazy Legs and Ynot from the RockSteady Crew. Hopefully they will be judging the summer Battles for us and my old man will be spinning the tunes.

Well thats who I am and what I do :beer1:

Shaun
16-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the forum. Excellent editing job on the video. Nice moves!!.

ian8limelight
16-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Welcome aboard.

Lee
16-04-2007, 07:28 PM
:approve: Welome

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Gnash.

Sounds fairly energetic what you do.

Penfold42
16-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Hello......i'm tuckered out just watching.:p
I did a bit of break dancing when it was the 'in thing'...not sure if the body can hold it anymore let alone do it....sorry going off on one....

Welcome.....pull up a chair.:)

BBoy-Gnash
16-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Hello......i'm tuckered out just watching.:p
I did a bit of break dancing when it was the 'in thing'...not sure if the body can hold it anymore let alone do it....sorry going off on one....

Welcome.....pull up a chair.:)

We have been working with Crazy Legs from the original Rock Steady Crew and if you called it Breakdancing he would be a little miffed.

I am only the messenger, but its not Breakdancing, its BBoy, he made that quite clear at the Beat Battles last weekend and I think it goes out on channel four in a few weeks.

Breakdancing is a word invented by the media, the real word is BBoy.

Rock Steady can be found here:

http://www.rocksteadycrew.com/

Thanks for the comments ... Check the website for the summer battles.

Fancy Joining A Crew? [email protected]

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-04-2007, 09:16 PM

Surely the name 'breakdancing' came from the fact that people used to show their moves to the breaks in the songs that the DJs were mixing?

Penfold42
16-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Well look at that i was a BBoy and never even knew it....:p
Do you still carry a piece of lino around....:D

PropellerHeadCase
16-04-2007, 10:55 PM
We have been working with Crazy Legs from the original Rock Steady Crew and if you called it Breakdancing he would be a little miffed.

I am only the messenger, but its not Breakdancing, its BBoy, he made that quite clear at the Beat Battles last weekend and I think it goes out on channel four in a few weeks.

Ahem...

Hey, you, the Rock Steady Crew
Show what you do, make a break, make a move
B-boys, breakers, electric boogaloo

And from about the same time, by the West Street Mob: "Break Dance, Electric Boogie".

Furthermore, as someone said earlier, breakdancing is about dancing to breakbeats, a B-Boy is someone into Breaks'n'Beats, some say it's breaks-boy, others say beat-boy... take your pick.

"Drop the break, drop the break"

Of course many B-Boys now add popping and locking to their repertoire, but that's just a branch of break-dancing that went away and then came back.

By the way, 'B-Boy' is the name of the individual, and as such a noun, 'breakdancing' is what they are doing, and hence a verb, thus they are not interchangeable. I don't think I've heard anyone ever say "I'm B-Boying".

Oh, and who's gonna argue with KRS-One?

If you come from France
and you like the breakdance say OHOH (OHOH)
And If you come from New York
and you like the way I talk say Yeah (Yeah)

Kris ain't exactly known for liking the media.

DMX Will
16-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Welcome to the forum Gnash! :) How old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?

Enjoy :D

BBoy-Gnash
17-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey I am just quoting Crazy Legs, we called it breakdancing for ages until we got involved with a few established crews who then put us right.

Breaking is the dance itself and is OK to use, the person that performs the dance is a B-Boy or a B-Girl. If you talk to some of the purist they will also tell you that moves like the “windmill” do not exist. It’s a continuous back spin.

There is going to be a hard push by some of the high profile B-Boys this year to address some of the misunderstandings. A prime example was the quote:

“Hey, you, the Rock Steady Crew
Show what you do, make a break, make a move
B-boys, breakers, electric boogaloo”

Rock Steady had no part in the lyrics and it was records like that that fueled people’s misunderstanding. Personally I don’t care to much what it’s called, I do it because I enjoy it and it keeps me fit.

Crazy legs is the president of the Rock Steady Crew which has thousands of members worldwide and is considered to be one of the founders of the B-Boy culture and consequently people take note of what he says. I will find out when the Beat Battles are due to be screened and I will let you know so you can make your own mind up after listening to the speech he makes.

Its been interesting reading your comments.

Welcome to the forum Gnash! :) How old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?

Enjoy :D

I'm 17 :) and three quarters :eek:

Just thought I would add this link:

http://www.redbullbeatbattle.co.uk/

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-04-2007, 08:58 AM
If you talk to some of the purist they will also tell you that moves like the “windmill” do not exist. It’s a continuous back spin.

That doesn't make sense to me. A windmill is a completely different shape and move to a back spin. :confused:

BBoy-Gnash
17-04-2007, 11:43 AM
That doesn't make sense to me. A windmill is a completely different shape and move to a back spin. :confused:

I agree our crew believe that some of the words used to describe certain moves are a bit messed up and we still refer to it as a windmill. We were given an explanation of why it was called a continuous back spin, and the explanation had merit, but it still looks like a windmill to us. In fact we also use the word break dancing in our Meta tagging because most people refer to it as that.

But we are in the position where we do some high profile stuff with Old School B-Boys and to a degree we need to conform so we don’t rattle any cages and loose sponsors.

If calling it break dancing raises people’s awareness does it really matter? I have read through some of the threads on this forum and there are some knowledgeable people on here regarding genres of music and they have taken the purist stance and educated the less experienced DJ.

So who is right and who is wrong. :bang:

axeman
17-04-2007, 11:48 AM
i dont know what most of you are talking about, and i bet you cant do all that mallarky once youve had a thousand buffets either, lol...

but welcome anyway

Penfold42
17-04-2007, 11:57 AM
If calling it break dancing raises people’s awareness does it really matter? I have read through some of the threads on this forum and there are some knowledgeable people on here regarding genres of music and they have taken the purist stance and educated the less experienced DJ.

So who is right and who is wrong. :bang:

I for one am only having the 'crack' so to speak....so hello again..:beer1:
But do you know where i can get a cheap piece of lino.....got the urge again..:eek: :eek: :p :p :D :D

Might end up in E and A tonight...;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Just had a look at you vid on your site and the dancing is impressive, but to be honest (and this will really make me sound old), there are one or two new moves, but most of them don't look as if they've evolved from the early 80s when I had my lino and Sergio Toshini tracksuit!

BBoy-Gnash
17-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I for one am only having the 'crack' so to speak....so hello again..:beer1:
But do you know where i can get a cheap piece of lino.....got the urge again..:eek: :eek: :p :p :D :D

Might end up in E and A tonight...;)

Lol, most carpet shops will sell you end of line lino for peanuts but we have a mobile dance floor, the 1 meter square stuff they use in marquees :D

Penfold42
17-04-2007, 12:47 PM
but most of them don't look as if they've evolved from the early 80s when I had my lino and Sergio Toshini tracksuit!

I was more a Nike - with the hoods - with Puma Set trainers - listening to Elctro Rock Albums blasting out on the ghetto blasters, back spinning, crabbing and lofting.....:eek: :eek:

Oh those were the day's......:D :D :zip:

BBoy-Gnash
17-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Just had a look at you vid on your site and the dancing is impressive, but to be honest (and this will really make me sound old), there are one or two new moves, but most of them don't look as if they've evolved from the early 80s when I had my lino and Sergio Toshini tracksuit!

This is where it all gets sticky, most of the moves on that video were used at the Beat Battle in Hackney and they have evolved over the years and considered acceptable.

It is my belief that all things should progress and that includes terminology as well as the craft itself. It seems to me that the Old School wants the cake and eat it.

As you said the moves have changed and they are happy with that, they wouldn’t win battles by not improving, but as a continuous back spin was explained to me it has the roots of a windmill but it has evolved past that as techniques have improved.

Take flares (vaulting on the floor) that was never an original move and that has even progressed to air flares. Things move on.

wensleydale
17-04-2007, 04:42 PM
i like the bit on the video when the old women walk past completely oblivious to the "breaking".

there's a whole boy band routine there just waiting to be used by take that....

some good stuff there.

BBoy-Gnash
17-04-2007, 04:51 PM
i like the bit on the video when the old women walk past completely oblivious to the "breaking".

there's a whole boy band routine there just waiting to be used by take that....

some good stuff there.

We practice there a lot and they are used to seeing us jam, she is really nice and a bit of a mother hen. :)

Corabar Steve
18-04-2007, 07:26 AM
It's all very 80s.

BBoy-Gnash
21-04-2007, 03:14 PM
It's all very 80s.

On the contrary, street dance and the BBoy culture is undergoing quite a revival at the moment and we get loads of enquiries about workshops. Suppose it’s just an old trend doing the rounds again and it certainly keeps you fit.

mike8863
22-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Welcome to the forum BBoy-Gnash, I for one am in awe at your abilities, very impressed with the moves, and the video is top notch too, like the tune on the video, what was it??.
Mike

BBoy-Gnash
22-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Welcome to the forum BBoy-Gnash, I for one am in awe at your abilities, very impressed with the moves, and the video is top notch too, like the tune on the video, what was it??.
Mike

The tune is: Switchfoot - The Awakening, great band :)

Corabar Steve
22-04-2007, 09:33 AM
On the contrary, street dance and the BBoy culture is undergoing quite a revival at the moment and we get loads of enquiries about workshops. Suppose it’s just an old trend doing the rounds again and it certainly keeps you fit.
Fair enough, it just brings up images of the Kids From Fame for me :d (no offence)

BBoy-Gnash
24-04-2007, 01:29 PM
For those of you that are interested I have just had this mail from Red Bull.

Date: Friday 27th April (late Thursday/early Friday)
Time: 00:45
Channel: 4

Coming up on Channel 4 this week, late Thursday night/Friday morning (27th April) is Red Bull Beat Battle, a dedicated TV programme of the event that took place at the Hackney Empire, East London earlier this month.

Back with a vengeance for 2007, the free event with capacity for 1,300 spectators continued its theme on the eight beat of hip hop. Eight of the world’s most talented B-Boy crews received their eight minute mix tape in a retro ghetto blaster with the mission attached. Their ‘beat mission’, should they choose to accept it, was to choreograph a routine, which they had eight weeks to practice and eight minutes to perform at the event in April.

Taking you back, way back, to the ‘old skool’ hip-hop era, as the legendary Crazy Legs fronted the anticipated return of the biggest B-Boy event of the year, to the sickest tunes played out by special guests EPMD featuring Keith Murray.

soundmaster mobile disco
29-04-2007, 10:13 AM
welcome to the forum