PDA

View Full Version : speaker wiring - best practice

axeman
21-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I have 2x carslbro gamma 15'' active speakers, which are fine on their own for smaller venues, but when i do a larger room, I also have 2 x 15'' rcl full range speakers, which i run off a harrison x600 amp, im using a pro-soundmmx410 mixer, which has balanced outputs (xlr type) as well as phono/rca outputs, but they dont seem to work together ? i know their are a few qways to wire them all up together, but am not 100% which is the best way?

another DJ told me to feed to the amp/rcl's 1st, then link a feed to the carlsbro,s from each rcl, but i was worried that the signal to the carsbros would be already amplified?

the amp has "power w/ch 4ohms" written on it and both sets of speakers have in and outs on them.

Excalibur
21-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I have 2x carslbro gamma 15'' active speakers, which are fine on their own for smaller venues, but when i do a larger room, I also have 2 x 15'' rcl full range speakers, which i run off a harrison x600 amp, im using a pro-soundmmx410 mixer, which has balanced outputs (xlr type) as well as phono/rca outputs, but they dont seem to work together ? i know their are a few qways to wire them all up together, but am not 100% which is the best way?

another DJ told me to feed to the amp/rcl's 1st, then link a feed to the carlsbro,s from each rcl, but i was worried that the signal to the carsbros would be already amplified?

the amp has "power w/ch 4ohms" written on it and both sets of speakers have in and outs on them.

From memory, without going outside to check, the easiest way is to feed one set of RCA outputs,( eg Master) to actives, and second set ( Booth) to amp/speakers. This gives independent and total control of levels to both, Hope this helps.

axeman
24-04-2007, 09:06 AM
i've tried this, and the xlr type balanced outputs on my mixer dont seen to work when the rca outputs are used at the same time, unkless im doing something wrong ???

groovy-nights
24-04-2007, 10:01 AM
run the actives from the master out
run the rcl's on the booth out.
if that does not work then you will need a splitter cable 2 outputs off one balance out.Or run the actives on the left output and the rcls off the right

Excalibur
24-04-2007, 03:45 PM
i've tried this, and the xlr type balanced outputs on my mixer dont seen to work when the rca outputs are used at the same time, unkless im doing something wrong ???

I only use RCA's, not the XLR's. It would appear that mixing output types is your problem.

TonyB
24-04-2007, 03:51 PM
What line level connections do you have on the amp? If they have for example RCA and balanced, you can usually use for example the RCA for connection from the mixer to amp then the XLR from the amp to the active speakers.

axeman
24-04-2007, 06:15 PM
good stuff guys - ill give both ways a try in my garage. and let you know