PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on sound

a1adisco
21-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Hello,

Wondered if anyone could offer some advice on a problem I've encountered.

Did a 21st birthday party in a large room and noticed that when sitting behind all the equipment, the speakers sounded very bassy, but when I went out to the front where the guests were, it sounded too tinny. Did all the sound checks before the start and seemed ok.

Not all songs are the same in terms of bass and top. Any advice on how I can hear what the music sounds like from the guests side without having to keep getting up and going to check.

Thanks
a1adisco

TonyB
21-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Hello,

Wondered if anyone could offer some advice on a problem I've encountered.

Did a 21st birthday party in a large room and noticed that when sitting behind all the equipment, the speakers sounded very bassy, but when I went out to the front where the guests were, it sounded too tinny. Did all the sound checks before the start and seemed ok.

Not all songs are the same in terms of bass and top. Any advice on how I can hear what the music sounds like from the guests side without having to keep getting up and going to check.

Thanks
a1adisco

Put the speakers behind you - but it has the down side of deafening you and you run the risk of mic feedback or get some monitor speakers.

To hear what it sounds like out front, the only sure way is to do as you are doing and walk round to check.

PropellerHeadCase
21-04-2007, 09:48 PM
As Tony intimated, there is no sensible way.

So long as you do a proper soundcheck with a good reference track to check the EQ/sound in the room all will be fine, you just have to get used to the fact that it will always sound bassier where you are.

Ricesnaps
21-04-2007, 10:09 PM
It's also worth remembering that everything will sound different once the room has people in it. While it's good to check the sound and levels before anyone arrives, it will always sound different later with a room full of punters. Have a wander early evening and see

BeerFunk
22-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Difficult one to judge, I never seem to have any sound problems with my setup, apart from in huge halls with wooden floors - where you really can't win anyway.

spin mobile disco
22-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Did a bad one tonight, all glass constructed ball romm, accoustics were not fun to say the least. Ate the bass and threw the treble everywhere. Not nice, feedback on mic was awful. Ended up having to fade music to speak.

PropellerHeadCase
22-04-2007, 03:41 AM
It's also worth remembering that everything will sound different once the room has people in it. While it's good to check the sound and levels before anyone arrives, it will always sound different later with a room full of punters. Have a wander early evening and see

Yeah, I was going to mention...

Once the dancefloor has a good number of punters on it push the top end up a bit to compensate. It doesn't matter if you're a little heavy handed as people's ears tend to be a bit dull in the top end when drinking, anyway.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Ended up having to fade music to speak.

You don't do that anyway?

Danno13
22-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Exactly what i was thinking...

sleah
22-04-2007, 10:48 PM
:agree: How do you NOT fade the music down???
I have an excellent autofade on my mixer, I hate using a mixer without, such as the one at the club I do.
My spare mixer is a Numark with autofade but it is total and utter pants :mad: , infact the mic channel doesn't even have a mute button!
The Numark at the nightclub does have mic mute though:confused:
Numark kit is reasonable, but they are so inconsistant:(

BeerFunk
22-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I've never ever been confident in autofade features on mixers, I like to have complete control over all the volumes. Haven't owned a mixer with autofade for years either, Denon don't seem to do that anymore..

Vibrant Sounds
22-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I've never ever been confident in autofade features on mixers, I like to have complete control over all the volumes. Haven't owned a mixer with autofade for years either, Denon don't seem to do that anymore..

Best you be ringing them up to tell them then, as my new Denon X500 has an music talk-over button (autofade) on it as does the X900. Both current models I'll think you'll find.

BeerFunk
23-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Best you be ringing them up to tell them then, as my new Denon X500 has an music talk-over button (autofade) on it as does the X900. Both current models I'll think you'll find.
No need for sarcasm, I didn't mean to cause offence by my comments. I stand corrected - the embarrassing thing is that I have an X500, and an X1500 :o

Vibrant Sounds
23-04-2007, 01:01 AM
No need for sarcasm,

:sorry: I didn't mean to come across as sarcastic, should have used the pokey out tongue emoticon, but there wasn't one so I should have used :moon: instead!

BeerFunk
23-04-2007, 01:12 AM
:sorry: I didn't mean to come across as sarcastic, should have used the pokey out tongue emoticon, but there wasn't one so I should have used :moon: instead!
Ah, sorry, I mis-interpreted - as so often happens on forums! Thank the lord for caps, italics and smilies ;) :beer1:

Corabar Steve
23-04-2007, 07:58 AM
should have used the pokey out tongue emoticon, but there wasn't one

What, this :p? this :P or this :ner: ?

Did they have the night off? http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ed/tongue.gif

pagan_flame
23-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Well bass-ically... bass is unidirectional, i.e. you hear it everywhere in the room... but the top end is directional, hence you will hear the top end when in front of the speakers and not when you are behind them.

Have on more than one occasion had people asking 'can you turn the bass down' as that is all they can hear from where they are - at the side of the dancefloor, and of course if you do then it becomes tinny and ear-shredding for the punters ON the dancefloor. :rolleyes:

Vibrant Sounds
23-04-2007, 08:40 AM
What, this :p? this :P or this :ner: ?

Did they have the night off? http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ed/tongue.gif

See what a few pints of beer do!:o The emoticons might have been working, but I had the night off!:p

Corabar Steve
23-04-2007, 09:03 AM
:lol: