PDA

View Full Version : Top Hats

Ricesnaps
21-04-2007, 10:00 PM
My new wedding speaches Carlsbro Gamma 8 Active's arrived on Friday. Unfortunately the "top hat" fitting on the underside I was expecting to find so I could mount them on my speaker stands was in fact just a screw thread!

Any idea what I need to make a screw thread into a mounting for a speaker stand?

spin mobile disco
22-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Use a stand converter, there may be one specific for your speakers or a generic one that comes with a set of stands may fit.

CRAZY K
22-04-2007, 09:20 AM
My new wedding speaches Carlsbro Gamma 8 Active's arrived on Friday. Unfortunately the "top hat" fitting on the underside I was expecting to find so I could mount them on my speaker stands was in fact just a screw thread!

Any idea what I need to make a screw thread into a mounting for a speaker stand?

Maybe give your local Holiday Camp a ring ( Maplins) check the thread size though, also try Carlsboro help desk ( if they have one)

Would have assumed( like you have) these come with a standard Top Hat--maybe they want you to buy the custom Carslboro stands that fit the screw fitting at huge expense?:eek:

Was there no mention of this fitting on the speaker spec?

Must say this is why I like buying a lot of things from my local Disco shop--not as cheap but you can see what your getting and avoids aggro and time wasting, spose you could always put them on the top table at the Wedding
:D :D :D :D :D :D

regards

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
22-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Must say this is why I like buying a lot of things from my local Disco shop--not as cheap but you can see what your getting and avoids aggro and time wasting, spose you could always put them on the top table at the Wedding
:D :D :D :D :D :D

regards

CRAZY K
Now I was going to bring this one up anyway...

I would absolutely LOVE to buy things from my local disco shop. Closest town is Ipswich and there is one shop in a unit on an industrial estate and he is absolutely bloody useless - no decent kit and NEVER open when I go to visit. Used to be a good shop in Lowestoft which would have been handy, but no sign any more.

Sometimes there is no local choice - why's that and how do I change it?

Corabar Steve
22-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Have a look at the speaker stands in related products here (http://www.e-av.co.uk/info.php?id=1823) (You would hope they are ones that will be of use with the relevant speaker, as they are shown as related products)

When you say screw thread, do you mean just that, one internal thread? Any ideas on the diameter?

Sometimes there is no local choice - why's that and how do I change it?
An opening in the market there Matt, another string to your bow maybe?

Ricesnaps
23-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Have a look at the speaker stands in related products here (http://www.e-av.co.uk/info.php?id=1823) (You would hope they are ones that will be of use with the relevant speaker, as they are shown as related products)

When you say screw thread, do you mean just that, one internal thread? Any ideas on the diameter?

An opening in the market there Matt, another string to your bow maybe?
Strings and bows indeed - but how do you get even a single string on a disco shop bow?

However, onto more day to day issues. I have now spoken to Carlsbro and they have told me that the Gamma 8 was designed to be wall mounted using the bracket supplied - I will try to scan and post a picture of how the bracket works if I can. Therefore they do not make a top hat adaptor for it. They did suggest that I could use them on the floor (I assume this would be a complete no go for a wedding speech?). So now considering my options:

1. Do I try to attach the bracket to my existing stand?
2. Do I use on the floor?
3. Should I buy some small tables, cover with a white cloth and stand on these?
4. Would a sturdy domestic "hi-fi" speaker stand be a solution?

Have a look at my scribbles and see if they help explain any better:

CRAZY K
23-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Strings and bows indeed - but how do you get even a single string on a disco shop bow?

However, onto more day to day issues. I have now spoken to Carlsbro and they have told me that the Gamma 8 was designed to be wall mounted using the bracket supplied - I will try to scan and post a picture of how the bracket works if I can. Therefore they do not make a top hat adaptor for it. They did suggest that I could use them on the floor (I assume this would be a complete no go for a wedding speech?). So now considering my options:

1. Do I try to attach the bracket to my existing stand?
2. Do I use on the floor?
3. Should I buy some small tables, cover with a white cloth and stand on these?
4. Would a sturdy domestic "hi-fi" speaker stand be a solution?

Have a look at my scribbles and see if they help explain any better:

Honest answers Matt,

1. NO I doubt if such a bracket exists--if it does great! Dont bother making anything unless you really have to.

2. Definitely NO

3.Definitely NO

4. Doubt it

This is unusual Matt, I cant believe that they dont offer a Top Hat facility.

Are they advertised as wall mounting speakers? it all sounds a bit odd.

Was this mentioned in the spec?

Ordinary pro speaker stands are only designed for Top hat arrangements normally?

You want a fast easy set up--not mucking about bolting things together at the gig--more time wasting.

I would bite the bullet, get out the Black and Decker with suitable attachment and cut a hole in the bottom of the cab to accomodate the Top hat female fitting.

Providing you have space to drill of course--ask Carlsboro.

Its an easy job--I had to do this years ago when I first bought my Skytecs:eek:

But not one you want to be doing really with brand new gear--I dont know if drilling the cab affects your warranty?

Anything else will defeat your objective of increasing the "professional" look of your offering to a higher priced market.

regards

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
24-04-2007, 07:05 AM
If there's no room for an internal tophat then you could always use an external one like this (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71647) 2 holes & some nuts & bolts later.........

Ricesnaps
24-04-2007, 07:50 AM
If there's no room for an internal tophat then you could always use an external one like this (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71647) 2 holes & some nuts & bolts later.........
That was, to be fair one of my thoughts, but it would mean making holes in the base of a brand new ABS cab, which I'm not really that happy at doing. However, I did try using the method pictured below lat night and it worked well - very safe and stable (which was my initial concern).

However, my wife (always right unfortunately), took one look and said how ugly and obtrusive it looked (particulary as I bout the gamma 8's specifically for the size and unobtrusive look). Unfortunately, all the pro speaker stands are a three legged tripod design, so there doesn't seem to be any "neater" alternative. Or is there.....? Or actually will a standard speaker stand not look at all obtrusive in a large wedding venue rather than my living room?

CRAZY K
24-04-2007, 08:22 AM
That was, to be fair one of my thoughts, but it would mean making holes in the base of a brand new ABS cab, which I'm not really that happy at doing. However, I did try using the method pictured below lat night and it worked well - very safe and stable (which was my initial concern).

However, my wife (always right unfortunately), took one look and said how ugly and obtrusive it looked (particulary as I bout the gamma 8's specifically for the size and unobtrusive look). Unfortunately, all the pro speaker stands are a three legged tripod design, so there doesn't seem to be any "neater" alternative. Or is there.....? Or actually will a standard speaker stand not look at all obtrusive in a large wedding venue rather than my living room?

Or actually will a standard speaker stand not look at all obtrusive in a large wedding venue rather than my living room?

Probably not and should be safer as well.:D

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
24-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Get shot of them on DJ Bids & buy a Stagepas set up :sj: