PDA

View Full Version : Calling all cortex HDC1000 users....HELP!!

DeZine
26-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi all! :)

Just received my HDC1000 today and eagerly set it up to "have a play". For the past 3 weeks I have been organising and retagging all my mp3's in order to facilitate a quicker uptake of use of the unit.

However, on trying the unit tonight (including updating the firmware to the latest version) I am encountering some major issues......

1/ It is taking almost 10 - 15 secs to load a track
2/ When one side is playing and I am trying to load another track to the other side of the player the whole thing freezes for five seconds.

This is a MAJOR concern for me.....I am not a DJ but a live musician using backing tracks and I was trying to get away from using a laptop that is prone to these problems in order to use a dedicated unit. I tried one out in a local shop and it worked with NO problems whatsoever (on the older firmware!) but the unit I have is at this moment unusable.

I have religiously used the database manager in order to tag and organise but to no avail!

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

Dragonfly
26-04-2007, 08:46 PM
my advice take it back .... I am using a cortex week in week out with none of the problems encountered by others. I have the upgraded firmware ... are you using a keyboard with it?

CRAZY K
26-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi all! :)

Just received my HDC1000 today and eagerly set it up to "have a play". For the past 3 weeks I have been organising and retagging all my mp3's in order to facilitate a quicker uptake of use of the unit.

However, on trying the unit tonight (including updating the firmware to the latest version) I am encountering some major issues......

1/ It is taking almost 10 - 15 secs to load a track
2/ When one side is playing and I am trying to load another track to the other side of the player the whole thing freezes for five seconds.

This is a MAJOR concern for me.....I am not a DJ but a live musician using backing tracks and I was trying to get away from using a laptop that is prone to these problems in order to use a dedicated unit. I tried one out in a local shop and it worked with NO problems whatsoever (on the older firmware!) but the unit I have is at this moment unusable.

I have religiously used the database manager in order to tag and organise but to no avail!

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

Hi there and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your problems--yes that all sounds completely wrong.

Theres 3 of us on here using the Cortex and its going really well. Thats myself, Dave from Dragonfly and Matt from Spin.

We all had inital tagging problems, mine never froze but I think others did and we learnt the hard way so unless your unit has a real technical fault (which is possible) hopefully we can help you.

I know Dave had problems after he downloaded an update--I never have deliberately.

I think you first move is to check the machine by using a very simple test which is this---

Put a few tracks on a memory stick and make sure the tags do not contain any apostrophes, dashes ot hyroglifs.

Just simple straightforward tags.

Then run the machine between the two sides--if it operates perfectly and the call up time should be literally a second or two--you know its probably your tagging.

From that point on its probably hard work.

I think Dave and Matt will probably give some input as well soon.

As you use this for backing tracks I wonder if this makes a difference to standard ripped Disco CDs / MP3s?

When you "tested" in the shop did you use exactly the same MP3s?

If so then maybe the machine is at fault, if convenient take the Mp3s and run them on the shops Cortex as a quick check maybe.

You should worry, ive got a laptop and PCDJ software thats causing me a headache--never mind Ill just ring Darren:D :D :D

If you want to ring me im here most of the time 01832 734788 playing with the Cortex and wondering why I bought a laptop:eek:

When creating the database I never do it on the PC or laptop--I let the Cortex do it which is slower but seems to be perfect.

regards

CRAZY K

DeZine
26-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi Dragon

I haven't used a keyboard as yet - I will only have around 200 trax on my drive as that's all I need for a gig (200 to choose from - not 200 to perform and sing! LOL!)

Guess I am going to have to return it......but need it for Saturday coming and I bought it via the internet! Guess Saturday is scrubbed!

Tony

CRAZY K
26-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Dragon

I haven't used a keyboard as yet - I will only have around 200 trax on my drive as that's all I need for a gig (200 to choose from - not 200 to perform and sing! LOL!)

Guess I am going to have to return it......but need it for Saturday coming and I bought it via the internet! Guess Saturday is scrubbed!

Tony

Dave is spot on--you must get a keyboard --unless the simple test I suggested works sounds like the machine is duff.

Remember though its not the number of tracks that matters--I have 10,000 (with a lot of duplications) but it still runs at high speed.

Tracks are available in seconds.

Let us know how you get on, this is why I buy from the DJ shop not off the net,

CRAZY K

DeZine
26-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me - did as you suggested, but still the same problems.

Have read extensively about the tagging issues and have spent the past 7 nights sorting this out. Also tried allowing the cortex to index the database, but still problems.

Another thing is that I notice that there have been several times that I have started the unit up and have had to power it down again as all I am getting is a pixelated white lcd!

Also, can you not interchange the external hubs via the software (on the unit)? That is, when I power it up with say 2 flash drives attached, it asks you which one to assign to which player then once that's done you cant's access the other one from that player. This seems a bit odd to me!!

Overall, I am a little disappointed and panicked as I need to get this rectified by tomorrow night!!

Tony

spin mobile disco
26-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Have you installed latest update? also try using a different media device, some usb sticks / hard drives have performance issues that can cause slow response from all of the digitaL controllers.
Failing that it may be a faulty unit. but do try a different drive on it first.

DeZine
26-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Dave is spot on--you must get a keyboard --unless the simple test I suggested works sounds like the machine is duff.

Remember though its not the number of tracks that matters--I have 10,000 (with a lot of duplications) but it still runs at high speed.

Tracks are available in seconds.

Let us know how you get on, this is why I buy from the DJ shop not off the net,

CRAZY K
I don't know if a keyboard is necessary because I usually work to a set list of say 40 numbers or so that I set up beforehand and generally will jsut work through that short list - I would use a keyboard if I was to rifle through the amount of songs that you guys have to search through!!

Interestingly, I have just tried pressing the buttons harder (ie the "enter" key and have no problems, but when I gently depress it, it plays up!!! Blinkin' 'ell!! A sign of poor build quality or a little loosening off required??? LOL!!) :rolleyes:

Tony

DeZine
26-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Hmmmm.............now that I think about a keyboard would be a good idea - just hit the enter key and away it goes to load! :zip:

DeZine
26-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Ach well, guess it's going back.

Worked for about 15 mins (using the same 6 songs) then started freezing again.:(

CRAZY K
26-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't know if a keyboard is necessary because I usually work to a set list of say 40 numbers or so that I set up beforehand and generally will jsut work through that short list - I would use a keyboard if I was to rifle through the amount of songs that you guys have to search through!!

Interestingly, I have just tried pressing the buttons harder (ie the "enter" key and have no problems, but when I gently depress it, it plays up!!! Blinkin' 'ell!! A sign of poor build quality or a little loosening off required??? LOL!!) :rolleyes:

Tony

If it doesnt work with a simple memory stick return it immediately ASSUMING TAGGING PERFECT.

Dont forget under Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to an immediate replacement--dont let them say--we will get it fixed asap---demand an immediate replacement or your money back.

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
27-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Ok latest on this I have just installed the very latest update .... no problems loading is now even quicker and I can now put in punctuation and numbers into the search ..... try a different hard drive/stick I have a freecom and its excellent and another the same on the way. ......

a couple of things I will say is when I have the time on elapsed and load a track the unit jumps the first 10 seconds before cuing ...... but ...... if you have it on remain which i'm sure most of us do ...... fine no problem? also the cortex website keeps tasing me by saying I can now do seamless loops with my machine but nowhere tells me how to achieve this?????

CRAZY K
27-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Ok latest on this I have just installed the very latest update .... no problems loading is now even quicker and I can now put in punctuation and numbers into the search ..... try a different hard drive/stick I have a freecom and its excellent and another the same on the way. ......

a couple of things I will say is when I have the time on elapsed and load a track the unit jumps the first 10 seconds before cuing ...... but ...... if you have it on remain which i'm sure most of us do ...... fine no problem? also the cortex website keeps tasing me by saying I can now do seamless loops with my machine but nowhere tells me how to achieve this?????

Dave, does this punctuation include apostrophe as in OLIVER'S ARMY
O'JAYS WHO'S ZOOMIN WHO etc etc? that have caused me a problem--by the way the unit doesnt freeze--just cant read those titles--so I go the artist or tune to find them.

Being a very simple person--I just thrash on the tracks and talk over the mike---whats remain and time on elapsed--I must be missing that????????? :D :D :D

Im a bit hesitant on updates as my unit works so well---yee ha!

regards

CRAZY K

spin mobile disco
27-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes K it does allow you to use commas etc. Bout time as well lol.

DeZine
27-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi guys - just an update.

Have just got got my HDC1000 replaced, so a big thankyou to all at Cortex, ebdj and glasgow sound centre for all their help.

It turns out that it seems that the new firmware was causing the issue - I tried 3 different hdc's with my flash pen drive, all with the last update, with no glitches. However, with the new update, all the problems.

It is, of course possible that the unit itself is still at fault. But that's up to Cortex/Gemini/GCI to sort out.

And no more updates for me - the current version (1.6.1) works just dandy for me...........

Tony

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-04-2007, 01:16 PM
my advice take it back ....

And get a Denon.;) :D

Dragonfly
27-04-2007, 01:20 PM

or two cortex for the same price and just buy some denon stickers with the change.

CRAZY K
27-04-2007, 01:24 PM

I think once you get to grips with how the Cortex works, what it likes and dislikes its absolutely fine--bit like the wife:D

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-04-2007, 01:37 PM
or two cortex for the same price and just buy some denon stickers with the change.

The price I paid for the Denon wasn't much more than the Cortex though. ;)

DeZine
27-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi all

Tried the Denon today - for me, it would be overkill and can't see the display well enough!! Liked it though.....

Sadly, I am continuing to have problems and am in discussion with GCI here in the UK and in the US of A - the latest is that they think my computer has a corrupted file somewhere that is replicating itself on any external device I use, causing problems with the cortex.

Currently I am burning my backing trax to cd to re-rip onto a flash drive (pen) via another, presumably corruption-free, pc; all at the advice of GCI.

Then thereafter, to retag everything..........and try the unit again.

Looks like no sleep for me tonight..........

Tony

spin mobile disco
27-04-2007, 04:49 PM
If I could get a dennon for the price I paid for the cortex I would buy one now just to have one of each. But as I paid sub £400 for my cortex I dont think its going to happen lol.

CRAZY K
27-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi all

Tried the Denon today - for me, it would be overkill and can't see the display well enough!! Liked it though.....

Sadly, I am continuing to have problems and am in discussion with GCI here in the UK and in the US of A - the latest is that they think my computer has a corrupted file somewhere that is replicating itself on any external device I use, causing problems with the cortex.

Currently I am burning my backing trax to cd to re-rip onto a flash drive (pen) via another, presumably corruption-free, pc; all at the advice of GCI.

Then thereafter, to retag everything..........and try the unit again.

Looks like no sleep for me tonight..........

Tony
So the replacement isnt working properly:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sounds like its the MP3s/ tagging.

Very strange, presume you are ripping with standard program etc.

Anyway, see how it goes and let us know--good luck with it,

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
28-04-2007, 07:56 AM
It does indeed sound like a tagging issue or as said maybe the program you are ripping with .... if its media player make sure you are not ripping to wma rather than mp3 as the cortex wont read it .......(I know lol) It took me 4 months to get mine to the gig stage and as yet ive had no problems with it at all and i have all yhe updates......

I have also found that it only takes one corrupt file to make the cortex scream for help .... for me it was a destinys child single cd.... caused it to cue up wrong tracks not play tracks allsorts .... sadly it maybe a start again thing but thats the nature of the beast.

I thought exactly the same as you of the Denon I wouldnt use half the features on it . Horses for courses you get the best player to suit your needs.

Corabar Steve
28-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Quite possibly more features than you need for your backing tracks, I would agree. The display shouldn't be an issue though, unlike the lower priced units the Denon has screen contrast control.
The price I paid for the Denon wasn't much more than the Cortex though. ;)
He speaks the truth, ours came from the same source. Thanks Daz :approve:

DeZine
28-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi guys

Have been up all night working on the unit, re-ripping and retagging, with the help of cortex in the USA and all tags are perfect. All the files are located on the root directory of the drives with no subfolders in use.

Unit behaving much better now, but still some issues......

Loading of tracks can be very, very slow. If it is more then 7 secs, the unit freezes.

If you try to load a track into the opposite player whilst the other is player is playing, it is best to leave it until near the very end of the playing track as it doesn't seem to play up as much (??!!??)

It seems to behave better if using a keyboard to select and load tracks, so there must obviously be some bugs somewhere as when I select and load via the unit 9 times out of ten it glitches.

I must say that I do like the unit as it is simple and suits my needs.....or it will when they iron out the bugs.

I also tried the D2 yesterday and it played up a little also but felt that for my needs the hdc1000 was ideal. I just felt that the denon, although undoubtedly the best of the bunch, was just to much and not easy enough to use in my situation - suring a performance I can't be squinting at a display to load up the next track a - the advantage of the cortex is the dual displays which at a glance are easier to read. As said, horses for courses (I will admit though that if I DJ'd more, I would definitely buy the Denon - I LOVE it's creativity.

Tony

DeZine
28-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh, I meant to ask. Can anybody reccommend a piece of software to scan files for corruptions? And would a corrupt file simply not play on the unit as well as causing glitches?

All the files play perfectly off my £3.99 2gb cheapo mp3 player (which allows me to cue up the next track and instantly plays it!) bought off Ebay!!!! :eek: :eek:

Seems daft that a c£400 piece of kit would spit the dummy out!!

spin mobile disco
28-04-2007, 11:11 AM
The display shouldn't be an issue though, unlike the lower priced units the Denon has screen contrast control.

Sorry to burst bubble but cortex and numark both have contrast control and the numark has a gamma control as well. Resally need it as well on some of the gigs with no lights its to bright with to many you cant see it lol

Corabar Steve
29-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Fair enough, so it's still not an issue.

CRAZY K
29-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Oh, I meant to ask. Can anybody reccommend a piece of software to scan files for corruptions? And would a corrupt file simply not play on the unit as well as causing glitches?

All the files play perfectly off my £3.99 2gb cheapo mp3 player (which allows me to cue up the next track and instantly plays it!) bought off Ebay!!!! :eek: :eek:

Seems daft that a c£400 piece of kit would spit the dummy out!!

De Zine my friend, there is a SERIOUS problem with your set up, none of us regularly using Cortex would tolerate the kind of delays and problems you are experiencing.

Either your Cortex is duff OR your files are duff.

Its as easy as that.

Is there anyone remotely near you who could put your drive with files on to a perfectly working Cortex?

It seems odd that both D2 and Cortex are not working properly?

If it helps you could e mail one of us Cortex users some MP3s that you have ripped and we could try them on our machines to see if theres problem--we could put them on a stand alone stick, keeping well away from our main hard drives:(

Or you could mail us a CD which we can rip on to a srick, im willing to help if thats useful.

Spin, how does screen contrast get adjusted--or is that an update--im not going there if it is:eek:

My Cortex screen always looks bright and I can read it clearly( without glasses at my age :D )

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
29-04-2007, 10:55 AM
The problem does indeed seem to be your set up somewhere if both units are not as they should be . As crazy said flick through your yp and phone round the disco suppliers take your hard drive down and ask if they will attach it to their shop model ....... if that plays up its a hard drive issue or a tagging issue? I did a 6 hour gig on my Cortex last night without so much as a skip or glitch of any kind...... so when you get it right its a cracking piece of kit just stick with it.

DeZine
29-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Alun (aka Crazy K) :)

Many thanks for your offer, advice and support (and to all you guys).

Have came to the conclusion that it must be the files, or at least one of them. would one corrupt file cause all this hassle (I'm guessing because it would embed the corrupt files info in the "db" or "pl" folder that it would).

Last night I took a gamble and done a gig with it. Easy to use, easy to read (lol), sounded great. But still the issues. I worked round them, ie loading up two tracks, one in each player, performing them, then loading up the next two and so on. Normally I like to keep it all seamlessly flowing from one song into the next, perhaps five or six in a run, but as it was a pub gig (which was a great night incidentally) it wasn't such an issue. But at weddings and functions it would be.

However, near the end of the night we always generally do the same run of songs - Dignity; Rocks, We Built This City and (I've Had) The Time of my Life. I loaded up "Rocks" and BANG! the Cortex froze to a 2 minute standstill (it had previously played it in trials, although slow to load! So, it makes me wonder if this is the, or at least one of, the corrupt files.

I remember one of you guys saying that you had a problem with a Destiny's Child track (hey, at least the Cortex has taste, LOL!!). What was the unit doing with you? And how did you find out it was that track or tracks?

Alan, it it is still ok for me to take up your offer, let me know if I can Email you a few of the tracks. That would be great.

It has been suggested to me that I convert all my files to WAV. I might try that also.

Thanks again.

Tony

DeZine
29-04-2007, 11:03 AM
WOOPS!!! :zip:

Hi Alun (aka Crazy K)

Sorry, ALAN! (was talking to my mate, Alun, earlier this morning! I do apologise! At least it was polite! LOL!!

CRAZY K
29-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi Alun (aka Crazy K) :)

Many thanks for your offer, advice and support (and to all you guys).

Have came to the conclusion that it must be the files, or at least one of them. would one corrupt file cause all this hassle (I'm guessing because it would embed the corrupt files info in the "db" or "pl" folder that it would).

Last night I took a gamble and done a gig with it. Easy to use, easy to read (lol), sounded great. But still the issues. I worked round them, ie loading up two tracks, one in each player, performing them, then loading up the next two and so on. Normally I like to keep it all seamlessly flowing from one song into the next, perhaps five or six in a run, but as it was a pub gig (which was a great night incidentally) it wasn't such an issue. But at weddings and functions it would be.

However, near the end of the night we always generally do the same run of songs - Dignity; Rocks, We Built This City and (I've Had) The Time of my Life. I loaded up "Rocks" and BANG! the Cortex froze to a 2 minute standstill (it had previously played it in trials, although slow to load! So, it makes me wonder if this is the, or at least one of, the corrupt files.

I remember one of you guys saying that you had a problem with a Destiny's Child track (hey, at least the Cortex has taste, LOL!!). What was the unit doing with you? And how did you find out it was that track or tracks?

Alan, it it is still ok for me to take up your offer, let me know if I can Email you a few of the tracks. That would be great.

It has been suggested to me that I convert all my files to WAV. I might try that also.

Thanks again.

Tony

Not sure of the advantage of WAV--Cortex should handle MP3s with ease--:eek:

Send over MP3 ripped at 128 --- bigger files may take a long time.

Just send a few and particularly any that you think have caused the problem (one at a time)to me at [email protected]

Im giving the Cortex a test run tonight.

Alan ( English spelling )
CRAZY K

spin mobile disco
29-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Bad characters can also cause hanging in all the units. For some reason the accent over the e on beyonce can cause problems. I simply relabeled my beyonce tracks without an accent and they work fine. Same goes for any song or artist with similar non standard characters bjork etc.

CRAZY K
30-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Not sure of the advantage of WAV--Cortex should handle MP3s with ease--:eek:

Send over MP3 ripped at 128 --- bigger files may take a long time.

Just send a few and particularly any that you think have caused the problem (one at a time)to me at [email protected]

Im giving the Cortex a test run tonight.

Alan ( English spelling )
CRAZY K

Spent this afternoon running through a playlist for my Sunday gig on the Cortex---no problems at all, high speed selections etc.

Any progress Tony?

CRAZY K

DeZine
30-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi Alan

Just in from my work and was out yesterday so my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I am going to run all my files through wavelab tonight (will determine errors, etc. If the files are faulty I will resource them) and convert them to WAV format to give that a go - will start off with a few to begin with and see what happens.

Will keep you posted and will perhaps take you up on your kind offer if I run into problems.

Tony

DeZine
30-04-2007, 08:56 PM
An update.....

Have just converted a dozen of my mp3 tracks to WAV via Wavelab - interestingly, there are MANY of my files that wavelab will not open......I think that that explains a lot!!! LOL!!

Anyway, stuck them on a reformatted stick and........it worked!!! Like a dream. Instantanious cue and play. No loading latency at all, in fact my finger hadn't even left the enter key before the track was loaded and cued with no freezes or glitches.

Played around with it some to try and get it to throw a wobbly but it refused. IDEAL!!!:D :D

Now, need to convert all the rest of them...........but it will be worth it.

Tony

CRAZY K
30-04-2007, 09:31 PM
An update.....

Have just converted a dozen of my mp3 tracks to WAV via Wavelab - interestingly, there are MANY of my files that wavelab will not open......I think that that explains a lot!!! LOL!!

Anyway, stuck them on a reformatted stick and........it worked!!! Like a dream. Instantanious cue and play. No loading latency at all, in fact my finger hadn't even left the enter key before the track was loaded and cued with no freezes or glitches.

Played around with it some to try and get it to throw a wobbly but it refused. IDEAL!!!:D :D

Now, need to convert all the rest of them...........but it will be worth it.

Tony

Glad to hear you found the problem, it probably wasnt the original Cortex :eek:

CRAZY K

spin mobile disco
30-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah sounds like currupt songs to me. Still at least its been sorted now (touch wood)

DeZine
30-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Yep, I hope that it is sorted too! Having to analyse every track through wavelab, which is tedious. But needs must!

And I agree - looks like it wasn't the unit.....OOOPPPSSSS!!!! :eek:

Tony

CRAZY K
01-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Yep, I hope that it is sorted too! Having to analyse every track through wavelab, which is tedious. But needs must!

And I agree - looks like it wasn't the unit.....OOOPPPSSSS!!!! :eek:

Tony

Bet your glad you came on here for some help--you might be trying out your Third Cortex and phoning America by now:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
01-05-2007, 10:26 AM
just had a thought ....Im using a cortex every week with no problems ...... on the second week I had it I threw it on the floor at a gig ..... could this be the only upgrade the unit needs? :D :D :D :D

DeZine
08-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi Guys

Just thought that I'd give you an update.

Now finding that all my tracks work okay on the unit after all the processing I done to them. However, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours into the gig the unit no longer loads the track to selected player at the first time of asking - I have to ask it 2 to 3 times, which is a bit a of a nuisance......but it doesn't freeze, thank the music gods.

Of note, Cortex have advised me that the initial problems that I had with my unit are known bugs in their software which should be rectified in their next update - I gave them my example about my so called "corrupt" mp3's playing on a cheapo bog-standard mp3 player and they agreed that there was a "known error" with the software and as I said it would be rectified.

I stated to them that several other users were have no issues and I got the impression that that was rather by luck than design!! :eek:

I look forward to their next update!

Tony

CRAZY K
08-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi Guys

Just thought that I'd give you an update.

Now finding that all my tracks work okay on the unit after all the processing I done to them. However, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours into the gig the unit no longer loads the track to selected player at the first time of asking - I have to ask it 2 to 3 times, which is a bit a of a nuisance......but it doesn't freeze, thank the music gods.

Of note, Cortex have advised me that the initial problems that I had with my unit are known bugs in their software which should be rectified in their next update - I gave them my example about my so called "corrupt" mp3's playing on a cheapo bog-standard mp3 player and they agreed that there was a "known error" with the software and as I said it would be rectified.

I stated to them that several other users were have no issues and I got the impression that that was rather by luck than design!! :eek:

I look forward to their next update!

Tony

Oh dear sorry to hear this Tony.

Did my first wedding gig Sunday night with the Cortex from 7-45 to 11-45--to use Dave ( Dragonfly) words---awesome--not a single hitch--until I accidentally cut across a track that was playing:eek: MUPPET!!!!!!!!

No one realised, I just announced a change of track:D

I really wonder if this is to do with updates. I HAVENT BOTHERED.

Is it worth back testing the unit without updates?

Maybe Spin can tell you if this is possible as he seems to be up on the tecchie stuff????????????

Are you sure it wasnt duff tagged tracks that was causing this problem--do you remember which tracks started to not load immediately? was it EVERY track after that ?

I think you may have to still question tagging and be very clinical in your analysis of the problem.

I know people on other DJ sites have reported that Cortex units have been running well from what I have been reading.

I cant really believe that all 3 of us on here have been "lucky" with our machines--thats not logical unless the later models are being built with a fault in them:eek: :eek: :eek:

If we can help at all give us a call Tony, myself, Spin or Dragonfly--im sure the other guys will be pleased to help,

CRAZY K

DeZine
09-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Alan

I agree it seems illogical about the "luck" element, but I am only going on what I am told. As far as I understand it there is no way to work back through the updates - once the unit is updated it no longer recognises any previous firmware versions. There may be a "MASTER RESET" on it but Cortex are keeping this one to themselves for the moment.

When I got the unit, it had an older version of the firmware on it, still causing the same problems. I updated it as basically, I had nothing to lose. Now it seems a little more stable, will recognise punctuation (eg ', ", !, etc) as well as grammatical inflections (eg as used in French, etc). Just my take on it of course and I don't blame you for not upgrading yours - if it ain't broke, no need to fix it!

I had all my tracks checked over by a sound engineer at a radio station (the biggest in Scotland) who verified that all the tracks were perfect in every way - tagged, not corrupted, EQ'd and gain optimised - so this is not the issue.

Don't know what is going on - there is a bug somewhere, but now it is not causing the unit to freeze at all which is my main concern although the loading issue is a niggle, but only a minor one that I easily work around.

I have now used the unit at 5 gigs in the past few days and it is immense. Easy and quick to use. Yes, the loading issue after a few hours use (not with the same songs - completely at random as our set varies wildy depending on the audience!) is a pain, but not a major one - let's put it this way, it's WAY more reliable than the laptop!

I will not go back to using the laptop - I have seen the light!! LOL!!:D

Tony