PDA

View Full Version : Free directories...

PropellerHeadCase
30-04-2007, 02:57 AM
From various threads in the forum I understand that several people do put their details in some free on-line directories, especially for Weddings and such. Can anyone let me know what they think the best/most reputable ones are for the UK?

Cheers :beer1:

rob1963
30-04-2007, 09:16 AM
From various threads in the forum I understand that several people do put their details in some free on-line directories, especially for Weddings and such. Can anyone let me know what they think the best/most reputable ones are for the UK?

Cheers :beer1:

Hi Propeller,

I've recently changed my opinion on the free listing sites, so to answer your question: None of them! :(

Since moving hosts 2-3 weeks ago, I now get accurate webstats, whereas before 90% of them weren't showing up for some reason.

I advertise on about 30 websites, mostly wedding directories. About half my ads are on free listing sites and the other half are paid for.

In the 2-3 weeks that I've been receiving accurate webstats, one thing stands about about the other sites people link to MY site from...

Out of 31 hits, ALL of them have been from sites where I have PAID listings, but I haven't received a single hit from ANY of the 15 sites where I have a FREE listing!

I know it's early days, but you can draw your own conclusions...

Corabar Steve
30-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Well thanks for that Rob, may I remind you that this forum is on a free listings site. :sj:

PropellerHeadCase
30-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Propeller,

In the words of Paul Simon, "you can call me Al".

I've recently changed my opinion on the free listing sites, so to answer your question: None of them! :(

Is EasyWeddingSearch free? You, Mr James, are conspicuously second on the 'Wedding Entertainment' list ;)

rob1963
30-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Well thanks for that Rob, may I remind you that this forum is on a free listings site. :sj:

Steve,

Thanks for the reminder, and no offense was intended!

May I refer you to my quote "I know it's early days" :p

and the fact that I've only been getting accurate webstats for 2-3 weeks!

I've actually received loads of hits from this site, but they've all been via the forum - either when I've asked for opinions on my website or other members just looking out of curiosity...so I don't include those!

I think the reason I haven't had any hits from this site is because once a potential client sees the Corabar Entertainment website, they book through them.

I just can't compete! :( :( :(

rob1963
30-04-2007, 11:37 AM
In the words of Paul Simon, "you can call me Al".

Is EasyWeddingSearch free? You, Mr James, are conspicuously second on the 'Wedding Entertainment' list ;)

Hi Al,

Are you SURE my listing is second on the EasyWeddingSearch site? last time I looked I was first! :p

To answer your question, that listing wasn't free, and I have no idea how my listing got placed so high, not that it's made any difference so far.

It cost me a massive £5 for a lifetime listing, which is pretty cheap...although I'm still waiting for my first hit from the site...let alone an actual BOOKING! :(

Ricesnaps
30-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I think there are other things you should consider here Al. As I understand things, inbound links to your site with the right keywords can have a dramatic effect on your sites placement in Google, so the free sites can have some really good use if you get it right. There's also an add, generally on the top of the forum pages for adding links for you. Used this twice now, but only for 100 links and it really has made a difference.

As for the site to advertise on in the UK, I think it depends on your target audience. I have to say I have only ever had one direct reply through this site (MDD) and very few hits on my web site from my listing here, but the site itself has a good Google rating, so certainly worth doing. I'm generally in the wedding market, so would certainly recomend Hitched, although we have just paid for a listing for my wife's chocolate fountain business and now get around 40 hits a month from Hitched, so it is worth paying for.

Otherwise, my top tip (if I'm aloud to tell you) is UK-Disco. I get shedloads of work through there. To be honest, the free link is ok, but you really should make sure that you subscribe to the SMS enquiry service. When people send an enquiry through UK-Disco, they have the option to make it known to all disco's in the area. I have managed to pick up a fair few bookings by getting to the client before the person they intended to speak to! having said that I now have a paid for listing and do quite well there too!

Shakermaker Promotions
30-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Agreed!