PDA

View Full Version : Not DMX...

PropellerHeadCase
07-05-2007, 11:43 PM
OK, I just had a look at the Terralec site thanks to the link in the DJ Lounge and there was a controller unit specifically for the "TUBELED" LED-based effects that itself could also be DMX'd. I'm curious, is there any other, maybe less-technical, system for getting a modicum of control over your light effects without having to bury yourself in programming and/or controller software? Or, failing that, a paint-by-numbers/simplified DMX controller?

DMX Will
07-05-2007, 11:52 PM
OK, I just had a look at the Terralec site thanks to the link in the DJ Lounge and there was a controller unit specifically for the "TUBELED" LED-based effects that itself could also be DMX'd. I'm curious, is there any other, maybe less-technical, system for getting a modicum of control over your light effects without having to bury yourself in programming and/or controller software? Or, failing that, a paint-by-numbers/simplified DMX controller?

Obviously some DMX controllers are harder than others, I.E A chauvet DJ console is considerably easier to record an FX/chase than it is to on a Strand 500 series console

Chauvet DMX-50 (That I recommend to DJs such as yourself):
http://www.soundmastersdirect.co.uk/images/thumbs/t_chvdmx50.jpg

Strand 500 series:
http://strand-lighting.zaj.hu/kep/large/550i_wyg.jpg

Other than DMX there is no other standard way to control your lights (shame). However particular ranges have their own methods of controlling a series of different lighting effects from the same group (As I'm sure your aware) i.e the Acme iSolution range. But of course if all your lights arn't in the same range, this cannot be done.

I would really recommend, having a look around for DMX controllers, and getting to know the market, then getting yourself a controller designed for a DJ (they are easy to use, once you grasp the basics), and have a look at what you can do with regards to syncing your lights etc.

It's a long route if your new to DMX, but with plenty of hardwork and a 6 pack, you'll get there :)

flatliners
08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
i see you got a pic orf my controller the strand dead easy to use lol

DMX Will
08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I'd like to see someone try and programme a proper case (ie a newb DJ) ;)

If you understand the desk, then yeah its a peice of cake, question is, can you do it with the monitor off ;)?