PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! Feedback!

Dance FX
10-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Ok so what have I done wrong?

The Mic has been fine up until now and suddenly nasty feedback problem!!!

It was fine when set up at home and at the gig on Sunday but after setting it all up again in the dining room the feedback starts as soon as we turn the gains up just a little:confused:

Everything is positioned and wired exactly the same :confused:

Sarah

TONYTIGER
10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi ,a few simple rules to sought out feedback, make sure your speakers are as far foward of mic position as poss .You dont say what type of mic you have is it a cheepy or quality make ,do you know the impedance of the mic does it match your mixer, has it got a good quality lead . Try to dertermine which freqency it is feeding back at easy if your using a EQ or try backing of your tone controls ie bass mid treb also run your amp and master flat out and bring your chan eq down to min Tony Tiger

CRAZY K
10-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Ok so what have I done wrong?

The Mic has been fine up until now and suddenly nasty feedback problem!!!

It was fine when set up at home and at the gig on Sunday but after setting it all up again in the dining room the feedback starts as soon as we turn the gains up just a little:confused:

Everything is positioned and wired exactly the same :confused:

Sarah

Its unlikely anything has gone wrong with the equipment since the gig.

Are you sure its all set up exactly as before--believe me even people who have been in the business a long time are guilty of this-- like me Sunday night--only had one side of my system working to start with cos I forgot to pan the speakers to centre position--the overall system was so loud no one noticed:D

Testing at home indoors is not ideal although I do it myself all the time:D

If possible try testing outdoors( weather permitting) unless of course its socially unacceptable where you live--at least you will get a bit more practice in dealing with different feedback conditions and be able to get more volume.

Follow the sensible comments made previously, only dont get to the stage where everything is so turned down and cut that the mike sound is muffled and no one can hear you--thats the time to buy a better mike, mixer. amp, speakers etc.

CRAZY K

PropellerHeadCase
10-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Bear in mind that feedback is caused by the microphone "hearing" what is coming out of the speakers and sending that same signal back around in phase with original signal thereby boosting it, sending it round again, and boosting it again. Hence why it is sometimes called howl-round.

In smaller room sound has less distance to travel before bouncing off a "bright" reflective surface, i.e. a wall (or worse, glass) and you increase the chance of feedback. Also the smaller the room the greater the chance of a "standing wave" at a higher frequency. (A standing wave is where the distance between two parallel reflective surfaces are an exact multiple of the actual wavelength of a sound so one reflection actually boosts the volume of the next... messy.)

Dance FX
10-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi ,a few simple rules to sought out feedback, make sure your speakers are as far foward of mic position as poss .You dont say what type of mic you have is it a cheepy or quality make ,do you know the impedance of the mic does it match your mixer, has it got a good quality lead . Try to dertermine which freqency it is feeding back at easy if your using a EQ or try backing of your tone controls ie bass mid treb also run your amp and master flat out and bring your chan eq down to min Tony Tiger

Oh Dear!

I understood Hi, then after that you lost me :lol:

I think I would have more chance of understanding the offside rule :)

I will go play with the EQ see if that helps :)

Sarah

lightspeed
10-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Sarah, as K said it's different for most venues. A good trick is to drop the Hi Freq on your mic EQ a little. Remember its always good also to have your speakers a few feet forward of your deckstand and thus further away from your microphone. If your still having problems it often helps to stand back a couple of feet from your decks when using the mic if you're in a difficult venue feedback wise.

- Chris

Dance FX
10-05-2007, 06:12 PM
It is set up in quite a small room so I will see what happens in the hall next week.

Thanks guys :)

flatliners
12-05-2007, 10:31 AM
arrh feed back music 2 my ears

Corabar Steve
13-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Flatliners, how many times do Mods & Admin have to tell people not to use txt spk on this forum?????????????????????

It only takes a fraction of a second more to type to instead of 2, or you instead of u.

Any of your posts containing text speak from now on will be deleted without warning (as they are a breach of forum rules).