PDA

View Full Version : Wedding DJ's

Ricesnaps
13-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Sorry to bring up the old Chestnut again.

As you all know (with some thanks to Shaun) I'm currently undergoing a brand re-fresh. Part of this is about reviewing my pricing. After last night's gig I am absolutlely certain that (A) I am a bloody good wedding DJ and (B) I am nowhere near charging what I'm worth!

Consider, on top of all the usual expenses that go with our business, I had a £40 fuel bill for yesterdys gig and an extra roadie cost as we played till 2am and the client paid £320 (£100 of that only because we played for an extra 2 hours after midnight), so the fuel would have been the same for a midnight finish where I would only have charged £220!

I am considering making my pricing a little less transparent so to speak. Maybe advertising "wedding from £xxx" on the web site and then providing a firm quote when the client contact me. Would apreciat any thoughts on how you put together a quote. I am considering the following:

Standard wedding disco: £xxx
Early set up: £xx (but all my wedding are early set up, so not that relevant)
DJ & background music during breakfast: £xxx
Microphones for speaches: £xxx
Early start (based on 6.30pm normal arrival) £xx / per hour
After midnight £xx per hour
Upstairs £xxx

etc....

I was thinking that the above would be completely invisible to the client, but would give me some standard guidelines for quote. The intent is to generally base the pricing of travel distance and time spent at venue. I would take it as read that I visit all my wedding clients, I wear black tie, they get lights and sound and a choice of music and so on.

Any thoughts - and where do you think I should weight the cost - for example, I would think It costs more to have me all day for the breakfast, but less just to add the microphones, but the microphones would need the client potentially to add in the extra time (quoted as early start above).

Hoep that makes sense?

BeerFunk
13-05-2007, 01:30 PM
That sounds to me like a fair pricing policy - but I would never make it known to the customer that you are charging for microphones and 'upstairs' venues! Microphones should be part of the whole equipment package in my opinion, but the amount of equipment required should have a bearing on the price, obviously. Charging more for upstairs venues may seem fair to us, but it may seem like an unnecessary charge to a client.

Ricesnaps
13-05-2007, 01:56 PM
That sounds to me like a fair pricing policy - but I would never make it known to the customer that you are charging for microphones and 'upstairs' venues! Microphones should be part of the whole equipment package in my opinion, but the amount of equipment required should have a bearing on the price, obviously. Charging more for upstairs venues may seem fair to us, but it may seem like an unnecessary charge to a client.
Obviously the above parts of the pricing would never be made known to a client, but would be a way to asses the correct price.

I also don't think the equipment has any bearing on the price, it's the service you offer with the equipment, or I hope it is!

CRAZY K
13-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Sorry to bring up the old Chestnut again.

As you all know (with some thanks to Shaun) I'm currently undergoing a brand re-fresh. Part of this is about reviewing my pricing. After last night's gig I am absolutlely certain that (A) I am a bloody good wedding DJ and (B) I am nowhere near charging what I'm worth!

Consider, on top of all the usual expenses that go with our business, I had a £40 fuel bill for yesterdys gig and an extra roadie cost as we played till 2am and the client paid £320 (£100 of that only because we played for an extra 2 hours after midnight), so the fuel would have been the same for a midnight finish where I would only have charged £220!

I am considering making my pricing a little less transparent so to speak. Maybe advertising "wedding from £xxx" on the web site and then providing a firm quote when the client contact me. Would apreciat any thoughts on how you put together a quote. I am considering the following:

Standard wedding disco: £xxx
Early set up: £xx (but all my wedding are early set up, so not that relevant)
DJ & background music during breakfast: £xxx
Microphones for speaches: £xxx
Early start (based on 6.30pm normal arrival) £xx / per hour
After midnight £xx per hour
Upstairs £xxx

etc....

I was thinking that the above would be completely invisible to the client, but would give me some standard guidelines for quote. The intent is to generally base the pricing of travel distance and time spent at venue. I would take it as read that I visit all my wedding clients, I wear black tie, they get lights and sound and a choice of music and so on.

Any thoughts - and where do you think I should weight the cost - for example, I would think It costs more to have me all day for the breakfast, but less just to add the microphones, but the microphones would need the client potentially to add in the extra time (quoted as early start above).

Hoep that makes sense?

Several thoughts Matt--

£40 for fuel--crikey thats a lot isnt it or is that normal for you, is that Mercedes drinking fuel?

I thought you only did "local" work.

I travel all over Midlands, Home Counties / East Anglia including your area last week but would never spend that much--I factor in about £25-£35 within "standard price" but using an Estate with a Roof Box ( magic )

As it happens im down in Kent next week so I added another £25 for petrol.

I charge more for awkward venues---say £25 ---if you want to spend longer lumping equipment, even with a roadie for the same price ---good luck--I dont play that game.

The microphone thing is not so easy as I have come across several Wedding venues recently through bookings ( seem to be having a run on these myself)
where you either set up at some really early time before the reception kicks off ( what do you do for four or five hours ? ) or you set up after the room is cleared after the meal which is then too late.

You are right it has to be in the same bracket probably as early set up charge.

In my case I was previously working a lot of Village Halls and Marquees where setting up is easier --as opposed to larger Hotels/ Wedding venues( like The Barns, Beccles) where you are fighting to get your kit into the room against the flow of the hotel staff rearranging the room at the same time and be expected to have music started in an hour.

My latest Contract states starting time is subject to availability of the room, in other words if they finish late and i cant get into the function area--the Music starts late!

Re pricing-I use guide prices all over my personal site to get rid of enquiries looking for a cheap option.

You might say----- Guide Price £400 from 7 to 12pm assuming within x miles of Ipswich.

Then on the quote enquiry form find out things like upstairs, outdoors and distances ---price accordingly in a confirmed quote.

For Hotels I specifically phone them to check on things like --upstairs, access etc to make sure before quoting and getting stuffed because they didnt mention certain awkward features of the job===you have to ask these questions.

6.30pm arrival sounds a bit late for a Wedding?

Or do you set up in half an hour?:D

Playing till 2am wow-I thought Brides and Grooms had a Honeymoon to go on--£50 an hour---its not really enough after Midnight.

They dont last after midnight at my gigs after a night of Disco and Barn Dancing---yee ha!

I was told this week that my wifes friends sons Wedding is costing
£15,000 so what we charge is really peanuts--considering the job we do.

Maybe you need to go to one of those NADJ meetings Soundtracker was talking about and double your fees:D :D :D

Me too;)

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
13-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Several thoughts Matt--

£40 for fuel--crikey thats a lot isnt it or is that normal for you, is that Mercedes drinking fuel?

I thought you only did "local" work.

Alan,

Maybe some clarification. At the moment, unless I have no other choice, I ALWAYS set up early for weddings. Yesterday's was Just outside Bury St Edmunds, so just over 100 mile round trip done twice - once in the morning to set up and then in the evening to do the gig.

The microphone thing is not so easy as I have come across several Wedding venues recently through bookings ( seem to be having a run on these myself)
where you either set up at some really early time before the reception kicks off ( what do you do for four or five hours ? ) or you set up after the room is cleared after the meal which is then too late.
Never usually a problem as I almost always do an early set up, so the microphone thing might mean arriving back at say 4.30pm for the evening rather than 6pm. So my thought process was based on the additional time spent with the client. I also have a 2nd PA I use for speaches, but probably shouldn't play the "extra kit extra dosh" card!

6.30pm arrival sounds a bit late for a Wedding?

Or do you set up in half an hour?

Playing till 2am wow-I thought Brides and Grooms had a Honeymoon to go on--£50 an hour---its not really enough after Midnight.

As above, generally set up in the morning. Currently I always try to get back about half an hour before the client thinks the speeches will finish and then it's background music until the kick off - that's sorta my wedding thing! Only exception is if the venue absolutely does not allow or can't let you set up in the morning!

I thought £50 per hour after midnight was fair - is it not? How much then.

And by the way, the groom and all the party vanished at 2am without paying up, so fingers crossed that an invoice will do the job - and no comments about "no dsh no extension". Sure you all know how hard that one is!

CRAZY K
13-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Alan,

Maybe some clarification. At the moment, unless I have no other choice, I ALWAYS set up early for weddings. Yesterday's was Just outside Bury St Edmunds, so just over 100 mile round trip done twice - once in the morning to set up and then in the evening to do the gig.

Never usually a problem as I almost always do an early set up, so the microphone thing might mean arriving back at say 4.30pm for the evening rather than 6pm. So my thought process was based on the additional time spent with the client. I also have a 2nd PA I use for speaches, but probably shouldn't play the "extra kit extra dosh" card!

As above, generally set up in the morning. Currently I always try to get back about half an hour before the client thinks the speeches will finish and then it's background music until the kick off - that's sorta my wedding thing! Only exception is if the venue absolutely does not allow or can't let you set up in the morning!

I thought £50 per hour after midnight was fair - is it not? How much then.

And by the way, the groom and all the party vanished at 2am without paying up, so fingers crossed that an invoice will do the job - and no comments about "no dsh no extension". Sure you all know how hard that one is!

Gordon Bennett --no money:eek: After 12 say £75 -£100 ph certainly on your new "tariff"

You need to address this ---

I insist now on being paid DURING the reception or before and to be fair always been paid by a nice Best man with a Brown envelope---or maybe white if its an upmarket Wedding:D

I have absolutely no intention of chasing after people in a drunken state for my money afterwards or even later.

I have just accepted a job where its being paid by bankers draft instead of cash DURING the reception, I can cope with that.

I know many on here wont turn up unless paid in advance.

Do you HAVE to make two trips on longer distances--thats very costly-- Can you work smarter--you have a Roadie.

I know Steve ( Corabar ) was working at a Wedding last night in Aylesbury, im sure that wasnt an early set up?

I travelled to Beccles( almost on the East coast:eek: ) last week which is a heck of a long way for me--and set up a load of stuff outside in the back yard ( no rain thank goodness) including the base of my DJ stand etc, then whizzed into the room the moment it was cleared for the evening session, fighting through catering staff. Not brilliant I know but you have to have a strategy.

Appreciated some of the bigger more expensive Hotels are more difficult to work in as im finding out, although my "problem" in Solihull is solved by complaining to the Hotel who have got me a "concierge" odd job boy to help bring my stuff upstairs--

I often work at such long distances its impossible to do an early set up, if you start going for bigger money gigs you may well have to do the same, will there be enough work "locally" to to support your new tariff of charges?

The Barns at Beccles might though:D :D :D

If you offer the stand alone PA then clearly that will have to put up early doors.

As it happens I shortly have a rare "local" Wedding in Kettering so probably will set up in the morning--ill miss the adrenalin rush though of setting up quickly, :D :D :D

Hope this may be helpful,

regards

ALAN
CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
13-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Gordon Bennett --no money:eek: After 12 say £75 -£100 ph certainly on your new "tariff"

You need to address this ---

I insist now on being paid DURING the reception or before and to be fair always been paid by a nice Best man with a Brown envelope---or maybe white if its an upmarket Wedding:D

I have absolutely no intention of chasing after people in a drunken state for my money afterwards or even later.

And I always get paid up front for all my gigs - wedding in particular. I generally suggest that the client pays the balance at our "pre event meeting". Only one not been able to so far (and not last nights!). The problem with last night was that we had booked a 1am finish with a "you can pay more on the night and we'll keep going" agreement. At 1am, with a drunk, but happy groom and 200 guests on a pumping dance floor, finishing, switching off and saying no more was not an option. I am sure I'll be ok invoicing for the extra (and if not I'll have learnt a valuable lesson.

Actually, has anyone ever done this the other way around? Say the client "might" want a 3am finish, would it be ok to say they pay up front for the extra hours and get a refund if we don't do them?

Do you HAVE to make two trips on longer distances--thats very costly-- Can you work smarter--you have a Roadie.
Unfortunately, thats's EXACTLY the problem. If it had just been me, myself and I, I would have set up, drived the 15 mins to my parents, had my tea cooked for me and come back. Having a roadie makes it harder to do that, not easier. Particularly as mine's only 16. Had the folks been further awy, would have found a nice pub and read the paper!

Early set ups, IMHO are absolutely crucial to the top end wedding scene. This one was a marquee and would have looked awful if I had turned up at 5pm and set up amongst the 250 guests.

Appreciated some of the bigger more expensive Hotels are more difficult to work in as im finding out, although my "problem" in Solihull is solved by complaining to the Hotel who have got me a "concierge" odd job boy to help bring my stuff upstairs--

I often work at such long distances its impossible to do an early set up, if you start going for bigger money gigs you may well have to do the same, will there be enough work "locally" to to support your new tariff of charges?
I guess im my own experiance, most of the hotels around here have been more than helpful. Sometimes though it's about giving something back, making it known to the duty manager that you are happy to help them. Does see returns. Some of the hotels also give you an empty room to go and change and have a wash in once set up!

As for local work, Bear in mind that I current offer to cover Norfolk, Suffolk AND Essex, so a round trip of 200 miles to a gig is quite possible. I'm also quite fortunate to live in what they call the Heritage coast - Aldeburgh, Southwold, Framlingham etc... which in itself is a top end wedding location. A lot of "London Type's" come this way for the country wedding, so hopefully I am likely to pick up a lot of good work

CRAZY K
13-05-2007, 06:53 PM
And I always get paid up front for all my gigs - wedding in particular. I generally suggest that the client pays the balance at our "pre event meeting". Only one not been able to so far (and not last nights!). The problem with last night was that we had booked a 1am finish with a "you can pay more on the night and we'll keep going" agreement. At 1am, with a drunk, but happy groom and 200 guests on a pumping dance floor, finishing, switching off and saying no more was not an option. I am sure I'll be ok invoicing for the extra (and if not I'll have learnt a valuable lesson.

Actually, has anyone ever done this the other way around? Say the client "might" want a 3am finish, would it be ok to say they pay up front for the extra hours and get a refund if we don't do them?

Unfortunately, thats's EXACTLY the problem. If it had just been me, myself and I, I would have set up, drived the 15 mins to my parents, had my tea cooked for me and come back. Having a roadie makes it harder to do that, not easier. Particularly as mine's only 16. Had the folks been further awy, would have found a nice pub and read the paper!

Early set ups, IMHO are absolutely crucial to the top end wedding scene. This one was a marquee and would have looked awful if I had turned up at 5pm and set up amongst the 250 guests.

I guess im my own experiance, most of the hotels around here have been more than helpful. Sometimes though it's about giving something back, making it known to the duty manager that you are happy to help them. Does see returns. Some of the hotels also give you an empty room to go and change and have a wash in once set up!

As for local work, Bear in mind that I current offer to cover Norfolk, Suffolk AND Essex, so a round trip of 200 miles to a gig is quite possible. I'm also quite fortunate to live in what they call the Heritage coast - Aldeburgh, Southwold, Framlingham etc... which in itself is a top end wedding location. A lot of "London Type's" come this way for the country wedding, so hopefully I am likely to pick up a lot of good work

Fair enough, but I dont have any choice driving from Northants to the East Coast. I suppose to some extent I can dictate terms because no one else can do what we do.

Although at Beccles which I would say is a reasonably upmarket venue there was no room to set up early!!!!!!!!!!! No room at all!!!

Apparently they clear the room and the Bands/DJ whatever have to get in sharpish and set up--as I did.

Heres an alternative point of view----could it be that if people saw exactly how long it takes to get set up---and see the effort and expertise connecting everything up --followed by your blistering DJ performance they might think--crikey all that work, equipment, , loads of lighting and entertainment and we only paid him £550! EXCELLENT VALUE!

Sounds like they won the Lottery last night!

Just an alternative thought!

Yes your right about your area for Weddings --the Beccles gig was a load of Londoners ( pretty well off ones) not that I want that journey every week:eek:

Re the set up thing--I went to a very exclusive Hotel for a Wedding last year and the Disco arrived at about 5pm for a 6.30 start--nothing in advance--
and they played there regularly---goodness knows why--so I guess custom differs between hotels and the preference of Wedding organisers etc.

Some Marquees are easy to set up in as they usually have the dance floor
at one end away from guests so its easy to get in round the back or side --maybe not last night for you--must have been a bit cold though?

I understand its nice for the Hotel and the Band G to have all the equipment in place but its your time we are talking about--and thats valuable.

Unless you cost it in your price-- time, petrol etc which means another £50 to £100?

You then price yourself out of a gig that didnt need an early set up?

I think you have to be transparent over that.

Glad to hear you got the basic fee ok--My line is===

Another hour? Fine im happy to do that if you would like to give me £50 now in cash or cheque---yes ive done it---dont forget a lot of Hotels will have an account set up with the customer for incidentals and if they dont get paid they just get the solicitors on to it--not quite so easy for us guys is it?

Funny how these "top end" Wedding people clear off and dont pay you though?

No I wouldnt try and collect advance extra money--TELL THEM in writing if you want extra hours please bring your chequebook or enough cash to cover it---easy.

BETTER STOP HERE--IM WRITING YOUR BUSINESS PLAN

CRAZY K

soundtracker
13-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I find that most of my top end stuff involves a quick set up during the room change around- apart from marquees. Danno had an early Marquee set-up yesterday near to me, so he popped in for a cuppa, late afternoon, to kill a little time - Locally its not a problem, longer distance can be a hassle, but I'd never contemplate two trips of more than 30 miles round trip.

Dragonfly
14-05-2007, 06:44 AM
[B]

Heres an alternative point of view----could it be that if people saw exactly how long it takes to get set up---and see the effort and expertise connecting everything up --followed by your blistering DJ performance they might think--crikey all that work, equipment, , loads of lighting and entertainment and we only paid him £550! EXCELLENT VALUE!

CRAZY K

Ive had this loads even when i've taken out what I consider a small rig people saying "wow you have loads of equipment and I had no idea of the work that went into setting these up" and was praised by a venue last week for helping strip the tables so we could get in quicker during the room turn-round.... on the early set up thing very few venues round me will allow early set up particularly if there is a wedding breakfast in the same room.

twice now I have been asked to do early set-ups only to be called back and told the venue wont let us do it they say we can't have a top table if the disco sets up early :eek: :eek: :eek:

PropellerHeadCase
14-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm just pulling everything together to launch my website as a solo act so this discussion is timely for me, too.

I'm fortunate that I have regular work from one venue and from the company that I currently sub to (and manage just at the moment) so I can experiment with my pricing without it really effecting my income, unless it works in which case it will effect my income in a good way! I'm going into the market with a premium-priced service, where the pricing includes all usual or likely extras under the price tag, like mileage (within reason, in my case - local dialing area) and stairs. Given that most gigs don't have these I'm usually winning, and even when they do I'm still winning :D

I've been hanging out on Hitched and NZWeddingPlanner finding out brides' biggest problems with DJs and positioning my offering to answer those concerns in the copy and description of my service - aiming particularly at the people who have very specific or eclectic tastes.

Having (hopefully) impressed the client already I'm approaching it this way (conversions very approximate):

Pricing for only the dance
($800/£300)

Pricing for dinner (including speeches) and dance
($1000/£400)

Pricing for Ceremony, dinner (and speeches) and dance
on-site ceremony ($1250/£475)
off-site ceremony ($1500/£550)

Extremely simple. My description says that I supply the appropriate system for the number of guests, size of venue and type of music requested - type of music tells me whether I bring a sub to a small wedding and whether I bring all lights or some lights, etc. If they want to discuss the specifics of sound or lights then they can, but I guarantee you most won't.

One thing has become clear to me, people want it simple and will pay more if they perceive you to be solving problems for them, even if they are problems they didn't know they had yet!

I toyed with itemising all of the aspects of my service under the pricing to justify it, but that seemed whiney and apologetic so I ditched that and cover it off in my FAQ:

Q: You seem quite expensive compared to other DJs I’ve looked at, why?

A: DJs who compete on price necessarily have to cut corners to be able to offer their services at the price they do. Most will have a day job and therefore can only put minutes of thought into what they will play for you on the night – if you are lucky it will be your requests plus cookie-cutter wedding songs. I spend time talking with you and five-to-six hours researching the right music to put on your play list. I spend around $80 a week keeping up-to-date with music (as well as filling in gaps in my archive). Finally, the sound system that I use all or part of for your function would cost you between $400 & $800 + GST to hire, and that’s without music or the person to run it.

That said I do give approximate timing/duration for various aspects on the day such as set-up and pack-down as this helps with time-lines, especially for marquee weddings, but at the same time it shows that even a four hour wedding dance requires 3-3½ hours of travel, set-up and pack-down.

Corabar Steve
14-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I know Steve ( Corabar ) was working at a Wedding last night in Aylesbury, im sure that wasnt an early set up?

It wasn't, it could've been & in normal circumstances should've been (especially as the area I was set up in wasn't in use for the meal).

In this instance there was an hour built into the proceedings between speeches & dancing for me to set up in. (they actually ran to time too)

Matt, do none of the venues you work in put tables & seating on / around the dancefloor during the meal? There are several high end venues around here that have the top table precisely where the disco is set up, I suppose they could always use your deck stand to eat off :d

CRAZY K
14-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm just pulling everything together to launch my website as a solo act so this discussion is timely for me, too.

I'm fortunate that I have regular work from one venue and from the company that I currently sub to (and manage just at the moment) so I can experiment with my pricing without it really effecting my income, unless it works in which case it will effect my income in a good way! I'm going into the market with a premium-priced service, where the pricing includes all usual or likely extras under the price tag, like mileage (within reason, in my case - local dialing area) and stairs. Given that most gigs don't have these I'm usually winning, and even when they do I'm still winning :D

I've been hanging out on Hitched and NZWeddingPlanner finding out brides' biggest problems with DJs and positioning my offering to answer those concerns in the copy and description of my service - aiming particularly at the people who have very specific or eclectic tastes.

Having (hopefully) impressed the client already I'm approaching it this way (conversions very approximate):

Pricing for only the dance
($800/£300)

Pricing for dinner (including speeches) and dance
($1000/£400)

Pricing for Ceremony, dinner (and speeches) and dance
on-site ceremony ($1250/£475)
off-site ceremony ($1500/£550)

Extremely simple. My description says that I supply the appropriate system for the number of guests, size of venue and type of music requested - type of music tells me whether I bring a sub to a small wedding and whether I bring all lights or some lights, etc. If they want to discuss the specifics of sound or lights then they can, but I guarantee you most won't.

One thing has become clear to me, people want it simple and will pay more if they perceive you to be solving problems for them, even if they are problems they didn't know they had yet!

I toyed with itemising all of the aspects of my service under the pricing to justify it, but that seemed whiney and apologetic so I ditched that and cover it off in my FAQ:

Q: You seem quite expensive compared to other DJs I’ve looked at, why?

A: DJs who compete on price necessarily have to cut corners to be able to offer their services at the price they do. Most will have a day job and therefore can only put minutes of thought into what they will play for you on the night – if you are lucky it will be your requests plus cookie-cutter wedding songs. I spend time talking with you and five-to-six hours researching the right music to put on your play list. I spend around $80 a week keeping up-to-date with music (as well as filling in gaps in my archive). Finally, the sound system that I use all or part of for your function would cost you between $400 & $800 + GST to hire, and that’s without music or the person to run it.

That said I do give approximate timing/duration for various aspects on the day such as set-up and pack-down as this helps with time-lines, especially for marquee weddings, but at the same time it shows that even a four hour wedding dance requires 3-3½ hours of travel, set-up and pack-down.

Thats good PHC, out of interest what were the major things that bugged people about DJs in your reaearch--

I guess your time spent researching music is because you aim at specific tastes?

Rather than Cheese, Party, 80s, Disco etc?

regards

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
14-05-2007, 09:10 AM
It wasn't, it could've been & in normal circumstances should've been (especially as the area I was set up in wasn't in use for the meal).

In this instance there was an hour built into the proceedings between speeches & dancing for me to set up in. (they actually ran to time too)

Matt, do none of the venues you work in put tables & seating on / around the dancefloor during the meal? There are several high end venues around here that have the top table precisely where the disco is set up, I suppose they could always use your deck stand to eat off :d

Seems like im not alone then in finding an early set up isnt always possible at up market Wedding Venues ?

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
14-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Ive had this loads even when i've taken out what I consider a small rig people saying "wow you have loads of equipment and I had no idea of the work that went into setting these up" and was praised by a venue last week for helping strip the tables so we could get in quicker during the room turn-round.... on the early set up thing very few venues round me will allow early set up particularly if there is a wedding breakfast in the same room.

twice now I have been asked to do early set-ups only to be called back and told the venue wont let us do it they say we can't have a top table if the disco sets up early :eek: :eek: :eek:
I have to say, from experiance I am quite firmly in the other camp with this one. There will always be exceptions to this, but generally, with the hotels over this way, even when the wedding breakfast is in the same room, the hotels actually prefer an early set up. I have to say I did consider how I would have felt in the bride and grooms situation (having got married nearly 4 years ago) and I would have been absolutely mortified if I had two guys humping equipment in and trying to set up while all my suited and booted guests were trying to enjoy there late afternoon. I even discuss this with my clients and ask them how they would feel about me setting up at this time and I have to say that most of them love the idea of an early set up. it's a feature which has won me a lot of wedding work. This goes hand in hand with the venue relationship. Brides and Grooms are busy people, so being able to tell them that you will set up well before any of there guests arive AND you will personally make all the arrangements with the hotel management so they have nothing to worry about takes a huge weight of the happy couple. I don't know about anyone else, but I generally don't pop my tux on to set up, so a late set up means me and a roadie in jeans (all be it smart jeans) and logo top - not the image I want to put across.

That said, there are always hotels who "usher" out guests while the room is re-set for the evening function and a later set it quite acceptable!

I'm fortunate that I have regular work from one venue and from the company that I currently sub to (and manage just at the moment) so I can experiment with my pricing without it really effecting my income, unless it works in which case it will effect my income in a good way! I'm going into the market with a premium-priced service, where the pricing includes all usual or likely extras under the price tag, like mileage (within reason, in my case - local dialing area) and stairs. Given that most gigs don't have these I'm usually winning, and even when they do I'm still winning
I'm not suggesting that these insn't a "price tag" service. Going back to my original post, I'm wondering if I'm not being clear? I'm absolutely not intending to make my "criteria" for pricing known to clients. The idea here is that i set myself prices to work from for various parts of my service and then offer a tailered quote to the client. I see that working in conjunction with guide prices on my web site - something like "weddings from £250" or "Our wedding cost from £250 - £550". This gives the client a guide, but allows me to upsell or make the client feel that they are getting more choice in there big day - the option of choice is something which has gone down well in a smaller scale with my music selection this year.

What a great idea - love the thought of doing that. Would you mind letting us know how you have done that? Is there a wedding forum that you can be part of? I have been looking at the "advice" sections of the wedding web sites to try and understand the advice that brides are being given so that I can market more effectively. The eliment of choice and control of the entertainment does seem to be a very big message at the moment!

I completely agree with the simple comment, but equally I think (particularly in the UK) people are not happy to pay for something they don't want or need. I wonder if offering very rigid set prices based on the things you mention, you run the risk of not solving the particular problem the client has, or only solving through overkill and therefore the client actually ends up paying for something they don't want in order to get something they do.

For example, a client wants you to provide all the music and microphones during there blessing, but actually doesn't want any music during the wedding breakfast or microphones for speaches. based on your set prices, the client pays £475, but doesn't actually use everything on the list. I'm wondering here if a structured set of prices that can be used to create a quote (again without at any time making this part of the process visible to the client) that upsells on a standard disco, gives the client solutions to problems they may not have realised they have and still increased your income from the day?

CRAZY K
14-05-2007, 09:13 AM

The more difficult bit of course is getting people to pay your price:D

CRAZY K

PropellerHeadCase
14-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Thats good PHC, out of interest what were the major things that bugged people about DJs in your research--

If I told you I'd have to charge you for my time spent on those sites...

But seriously, the main complaints are "plays 'wedding music mix 101'", or "ignores my requirements and just plays what he thinks is right", or "doesn't take into account that I might have some good ideas about what my guests would like to hear", and so on.

It comes down to perceived DJ-arrogance. People like to feel like they are involved in the decision-making process, even if only to be talked around to having 'Dancing Queen' played at their wedding.

I guess your time spent researching music is because you aim at specific tastes?

Rather than Cheese, Party, 80s, Disco etc?

Nope, I have some great sets that I regularly play made entirely of cheese, e.g. 'Dancing Queen' into 'I'm in the Mood for Dancing' into 'The Grease Megamix' into 'Stayin' Alive' into 'Rock DJ', but there's so much cheese to go around it doesn't hurt to narrow down the scope of the cheese you will play.

My questionnaire asks the couple what music of their parents' that they grew up listening to do they still enjoy, and so on. All sorts of questions to find out what years of release to focus on for cheese-mining. Ultimately it only takes three or four songs on the night that people haven't heard at anyone else's wedding to make that wedding memorable and personalised.

I'm not suggesting that these insn't a "price tag" service. Going back to my original post, I'm wondering if I'm not being clear? I'm absolutely not intending to make my "criteria" for pricing known to clients. The idea here is that i set myself prices to work from for various parts of my service and then offer a tailered quote to the client. I see that working in conjunction with guide prices on my web site - something like "weddings from £250" or "Our wedding cost from £250 - £550". This gives the client a guide, but allows me to upsell or make the client feel that they are getting more choice in there big day - the option of choice is something which has gone down well in a smaller scale with my music selection this year.

I think maybe I wasn't clear... I say that my price includes liaising with venues, including site visit if required, selecting the appropriate system for the number of guests, size of room, etc. And that is all included in the one price, I don't itemise out the individual bits. Of course my package description does also say:
"Any and all parts of this package are optional – I am happy to customise any aspect of this package for you, usually at no additional cost."

What a great idea - love the thought of doing that. Would you mind letting us know how you have done that? Is there a wedding forum that you can be part of? I have been looking at the "advice" sections of the wedding web sites to try and understand the advice that brides are being given so that I can market more effectively. The eliment of choice and control of the entertainment does seem to be a very big message at the moment!

Well, I just signed onto the forum, nothing mysterious about that. I just introduced myself, told 'em I wasn't there for the hard-sell just to get a feel for bride's requirements (having never been one) and happy to offer advice if required as have been DJing for over a decade. Brides are people, too ;)

I completely agree with the simple comment, but equally I think (particularly in the UK) people are not happy to pay for something they don't want or need. I wonder if offering very rigid set prices based on the things you mention, you run the risk of not solving the particular problem the client has, or only solving through overkill and therefore the client actually ends up paying for something they don't want in order to get something they do

For example, a client wants you to provide all the music and microphones during there blessing, but actually doesn't want any music during the wedding breakfast or microphones for speaches. based on your set prices, the client pays £475, but doesn't actually use everything on the list. I'm wondering here if a structured set of prices that can be used to create a quote (again without at any time making this part of the process visible to the client) that upsells on a standard disco, gives the client solutions to problems they may not have realised they have and still increased your income from the day?

That's what booking meetings are for! Unless a requirement is very unusual and clearly outside the scope of my description of service it is covered in the quoted cost. As I said above:
"Any and all parts of this package are optional – I am happy to customise any aspect of this package for you, usually at no additional cost."

When you buy a burger and say "no salad" do they drop the price?

In all reality many of the B&Gs perceived problems arise from not being a professional in the Wedding or Audio industries, so if you can solve the problem with little to no effort on your part, you can claim victory on solving the problem without letting on that it was done with a three minute phone call.

It's like that joke about the mechanic:

Guy goes into a mechanic complaining of a weird knocking sound when he starts the car. The mechanic checks the make and model and then gives the car a solid kick just under the radiator grill. He indicates to the guy to turn the car over... No knocking noise! The mechanic walks over to the guy and says, "That'll be 200 quid, thanks".
The guy splutters and says, "but you just kicked it!"
To which the mechanic replies, "Yep, but I knew where to kick it!"

My pricing structure takes into account the standard up-sells that don't require DJ-knowledge to understand: 4, 7, or 9 hour sets, everything else is just detail that 99% of punters don't understand or care about. The other point being that being a pro you'll probably have a spare light or two in the van so if they aren't happy with the light show you can chuck on the full-length version of 'Paradise by the Dashboard Light' ang go get 'em.

My structure, I hope, is set up to encourage people to go for the 7-hour package as that seems to represent the best value for "normal" requirements if you look at it on a per hour basis... the point being that the longer you're at a gig the more of a rapport you can develop with the punters and thus the better you will look when doing your thing.

Ricesnaps
14-05-2007, 11:22 AM
If I told you I'd have to charge you for my time spent on those sites...

But seriously, the main complaints are "plays 'wedding music mix 101'", or "ignores my requirements and just plays what he thinks is right", or "doesn't take into account that I might have some good ideas about what my guests would like to hear", and so on.

It comes down to perceived DJ-arrogance. People like to feel like they are involved in the decision-making process, even if only to be talked around to having 'Dancing Queen' played at their wedding.

This is exactly what I hope I have been saying. Like it or not and particularly highlighted in the advice sections of most wedding web sites, wedding professionals HAVE to be seen to be giving the client as much choice as possible. As I said, I started offering a "choose your music" option last year and this has been by far the biggest selling point for me in the wedding market.

I think maybe I wasn't clear... I say that my price includes liaising with venues, including site visit if required, selecting the appropriate system for the number of guests, size of room, etc. And that is all included in the one price, I don't itemise out the individual bits. Of course my package description does also say:
Don't you hate forums sometimes. It's so easy to think what you want to say and quite another for other people to actually read it the same way as you did!

What I am trying to do here is.... You have structured packages based on the length of time you are spending with your client (in simple terms). The longer they want you, the more it costs? Everything else is included, full stop? So from what you have said, you have broken that into three "packages" and sell those packages. Which is sort of what I am currently doing and that actually doesn't work (or at least it doesn't within my market). It could also have something to do with the level of the market that are attracted to me though. I get the impression you think that I am suggesting I am going to have a menue of options for my clients to choose from - tick the box and add on the option sort of thing. That couldn't be further away from what i am suggesting. However what I am keen to do is have the ability to provide a structured quote to my clients based on there requirements. I think we both have the same idea, but a different way of doing it. All I am suggesting is that I give a guideline of my prices on my web site, prompt the client to call or email and then, based on the discussed requirements, put together a tailered quote for there function. I guess what I want to be sure I do, is structure my prices so I base my quotes on the same things. So for example, when a client calls up and we agree they would like me for the whole day, I always add £150 to my basic price and so on. The client will never know I have done that as I would only ever quote a final price and not give any indication how that is made up!

PropellerHeadCase
14-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Yep, I get that...

Maybe the difference is that I state what the all inclusive price includes and tell people that the packages can be customised to their needs, that leaves me open to be able to quote when I need to.

Ricesnaps
14-05-2007, 09:30 PM
just taken a leaf out of your book and started asking for thoughts on the Hitched forum - really good feedback!

CRAZY K
14-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Yep, I get that...

Maybe the difference is that I state what the all inclusive price includes and tell people that the packages can be customised to their needs, that leaves me open to be able to quote when I need to.

Some very good points on this thread although I dont generally offer the personal interview due to the geographics, unless of course they come along to one of my bookings which happens sometimes--thats another thread.

Just a small point here guys, to cut the proverbial---choice of music as being described here is really all about the "YOUR CHOICE DISCO" which as Rice knows I have been using for the last 3 or 4 years on my web site.

Whether you offer it is a personal thing--doesnt work every single time but it works 90 per cent of the time.

I think Rice if your offering early set ups like Bury ( St Edmunds) you will need to factor fuel costs and time in your new costing ---

And if the venue doesnt have early set ups available--do people REALLY worry about the DJ turning up to set up in casual clothes?????????????

Last week I turned up in shorts---mind you the weather was nice!

Isnt there a buzz of expectancy in the room waiting for the Entertainer/ DJ to suddenly appear having changed into his "outfit" to grab the mike and dynamically kick start the reception with his show? :D

CRAZY K

ian8limelight
14-05-2007, 10:35 PM
At one of my regular Hotels, because of the 'round' shape of the room, it is nearly impossible to set up early (unless it is a fairly small wedding breakfast) so I get used to having to wait until they have finished before I can set up.

On sending out our Wedding Questionnaire, it states that they (the client) need to allow 'xx' time for the disco to set up, whilst the Hotel staff are also turning the room around.

PropellerHeadCase
14-05-2007, 11:22 PM
So, Ricesnaps, how good is the info on the forum, eh?

Ricesnaps
15-05-2007, 06:03 AM
So, Ricesnaps, how good is the info on the forum, eh?
You really don't need to ask that do ya! LOL!

I'm always one to pick up on great ideas and that was a great idea.

A little teaser for the rest of the forum from my research so far:

1. When asked what would be considered "reasonable" for a DJ at your wedding, the average was around £300

2. It seems that DJ's failing to reply to emails or phone calls when trying to book is a complete turn off (however good you may be). Brides would at least apreciate a "sorry I'm already booked"

and one more...

3. Being able to specify what you do and don't want played seems to be highly important to most brides although most are actually quite happy to allow the DJ to read the crowd.

Dragonfly
15-05-2007, 06:56 AM
absolutely Rice nail on head I have 2 weddings next year at roughly the same price as you are considering charging .... yes both nice hotels.

CRAZY K
15-05-2007, 07:54 AM
You really don't need to ask that do ya! LOL!

I'm always one to pick up on great ideas and that was a great idea.

1. When asked what would be considered "reasonable" for a DJ at your wedding, the average was around £300

2. It seems that DJ's failing to reply to emails or phone calls when trying to book is a complete turn off (however good you may be). Brides would at least apreciate a "sorry I'm already booked"

and one more...

3. Being able to specify what you do and don't want played seems to be highly important to most brides although most are actually quite happy to allow the DJ to read the crowd.

Just to mention briefly---

Point 1. Im surprised its that high--and thats "average"

I suppose its only related to Brides looking on Hitched--who apparently are happy to spend more on quality?

Point 2. We give an instant turn around on all enquiries--if im not on holiday--but by no means do I think it makes a great deal of difference looking at our conversion rate. I will guarantee you price is still a strong motivating factor ( wrongly in my opinion )

Point 3. Ive been saying this for years--as you know Rice:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
15-05-2007, 08:26 AM
At one of my regular Hotels, because of the 'round' shape of the room, it is nearly impossible to set up early (unless it is a fairly small wedding breakfast) so I get used to having to wait until they have finished before I can set up.

On sending out our Wedding Questionnaire, it states that they (the client) need to allow 'xx' time for the disco to set up, whilst the Hotel staff are also turning the room around.But the staff there are good & always clear your area first, so you don't usually have too many problems.

Ricesnaps
15-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Just to mention briefly---

Point 1. Im surprised its that high--and thats "average"

I suppose its only related to Brides looking on Hitched--who apparently are happy to spend more on quality?

Point 2. We give an instant turn around on all enquiries--if im not on holiday--but by no means do I think it makes a great deal of difference looking at our conversion rate. I will guarantee you price is still a strong motivating factor ( wrongly in my opinion )

Point 3. Ive been saying this for years--as you know Rice:D :D :D

CRAZY K

To be fair, I have only had a few specifically tell me what they are paying, but other than one at £150, the general idea was £300, £375 etc... I was more interested in the comments saying that they felt that this was a good and fair (or reasonable) price to pay!

As for my point three, I think there is a lesson to be learnt here. You know that I am completely request man now, but actually, while the advice to brides is now more than ever playlist driven, when you actually talk to them, it does seem that many have a better understanding of what there DJ will do and are happy to provide do's and don't as well as smaller request lists. A lot of the replies suggested that they wanted there DJ to read the floor too - in fact one even suggested that she would feel she was insulting the DJ by giving them a full playlist!

ian8limelight
15-05-2007, 04:30 PM
But the staff there are good & always clear your area first, so you don't usually have too many problems.

Indeed they are. It's a pleasure to work there.:D

CRAZY K
15-05-2007, 04:55 PM
To be fair, I have only had a few specifically tell me what they are paying, but other than one at £150, the general idea was £300, £375 etc... I was more interested in the comments saying that they felt that this was a good and fair (or reasonable) price to pay!

As for my point three, I think there is a lesson to be learnt here. You know that I am completely request man now, but actually, while the advice to brides is now more than ever playlist driven, when you actually talk to them, it does seem that many have a better understanding of what there DJ will do and are happy to provide do's and don't as well as smaller request lists. A lot of the replies suggested that they wanted there DJ to read the floor too - in fact one even suggested that she would feel she was insulting the DJ by giving them a full playlist!

Fair enough Matt my Wedding Saturday they have given me freedom to play from a general Floor Fillers list I use plus they selected Rock DJ ,Sex Bomb, Livin on a Prayer etc-:D -so shouldnt be too hard to please:D

And now ANOTHER twist to this intriguing topic.

This afternoon visited Wicksteed Park, Kettering where im playing at a Wedding 9th June.

Taking the Rice up market Wedding approach I said ---I would like to set up early as I live just down the road--

OOOOOOh they said dont think thats a good idea as its a Civil ---they are having photos taken on the Dance Floor which doubles up as a Civil Ceremony area and your equipment on stage might look a bit out of place in the background --eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So guess what im not doing an early set up--arriving early on the night---
the only good news is they wont see me setting up in my shorts--theres a separate area for the Wedding breakfast--this is a BIG venue :D

You cant win!

CRAZY K

rob1963
15-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I have just accepted a job where its being paid by bankers draft instead of cash DURING the reception, I can cope with that.

Hi Crazy K,

Just a word of advice from someone who knows more than most about bankers drafts (having worked in a bank for 24 years!).

Firstly, many people think a bankers draft is as good as cash, which is complete toilet. It's just a guaranteed cheque, so you still have to wait for it to clear through your account before you can draw the money - just like any normal cheque.

Secondly, although its usually a guaranteed cheque, that's not always the case. If it's been lost or stolen before being issued, the bank can "stop" the draft.

Thirdly, be wary of forgeries. I saw a fair few in my time.

Finally, I'd want to know the reason for someone wanting to pay me with a bank draft, as they will have to pay their bank a fee of about £10-£15 for the draft, so why not just draw the money from their account & pay you in cash to avoid the fee?

Just some food for thought!

:)

and one more...

Hiya Ricesnaps,

I completely agree with point 1. Although I'm in a different area to you, my average for ALL gigs (not just weddings) is a tad under £300.

Point 2 is an important one. I once emailed a couple of local discos requesting quotes for a non-existant birthday party - partly to see what their prices were, and partly to see how quickly they replied.

One was charging £25 more than me & one was charging £100 more, and one of the two took a week to reply to my query! How many genuine clients would wait that long? I certainly wouldn't...I'd just book someone ELSE!

I'm stickler for efficiency, and pride myself in answering 95% of emails well within 6 hours...and I know from clients that that's one of the reasons many of them have booked me.

I'm also with you on point 3.

Wow! - It's not often that one of us agrees with the other...who said miracles don't happen? :p

CRAZY K
16-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Crazy K,

Just a word of advice from someone who knows more than most about bankers drafts (having worked in a bank for 24 years!).

Firstly, many people think a bankers draft is as good as cash, which is complete toilet. It's just a guaranteed cheque, so you still have to wait for it to clear through your account before you can draw the money - just like any normal cheque.

Secondly, although its usually a guaranteed cheque, that's not always the case. If it's been lost or stolen before being issued, the bank can "stop" the draft.

Thirdly, be wary of forgeries. I saw a fair few in my time.

Finally, I'd want to know the reason for someone wanting to pay me with a bank draft, as they will have to pay their bank a fee of about £10-£15 for the draft, so why not just draw the money from their account & pay you in cash to avoid the fee?

Just some food for thought!

:)

Thanks Rob,

I have been investigating all this and appreciate your comments.

The client says he doesnt want to carry a large amount of cash around on the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to take a flyer on this I think.

regards

CRAZY K