PDA

View Full Version : pcdj'ing

Mixxx
14-05-2007, 09:08 PM
elo everyone

was just wondering who dj's on the pc or laptop and do you think it is better than cddj'ing etc

How do you all get on with pcdj'ing do you have any problems?

cheers

Nathan Fleming
14-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Now theres a question, I guess you need to consider for yourself whether PC DJing is for you and if it will work for you. You will also need to decide if it will make your life easier and add anything to what you do.

You need to research things and find out for yourself, if you ask a question like do you have problems you will of course get negative answers.

Perhaps a better question is why do you have problem as I don't want to have them.

Have you considered the hard disc controller option which is potentially less problematic than diving straight into PC DJing.

sleah
14-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Been 'at it' for about 4 years now. No problems to speak of.
Certainly less than when I used the Denon, no more scratched disks or fingerprints. No more skipping due to vibration. Quick and easy to find tracks, no more spending ages rooting to find a less frequently played track - only to find it isn't there! No risk of theft of music, laptop at no more real risk than CD player, after all the entire room will notice instantly if the laptop is nicked!

You need a machine that's dedicated to PCDJing, not used for surfing etc. A decent soundcard is a must, ideally with 2 x stereo outputs as mixing with a mouse just doesn't cut it!
I have a large internal disk as it's more reliable than external (less to plug in and go wrong) and I've had many USB disks fail.
There's no point having bit rates above 256, infact 160/192 is quite adequate as you're not using a HiFi system.
Only downside to internal disk is if you have a very large number of tracks.
I've got about 7500 on 40Gb. If you want over 15000 at a very high bit rate it will eat disk space like crazy.
Make your own mind up about that one. My collection works well for me.

I'd suggest sticking your most played tracks on the PC to start with and run in parallel with the CD's until you get a feel for it.
I'd strongly advise getting an external controller of some kind, such as PCDJ's DAC, as fireing tracks with a mouse or keyboard doesn't feel right compared to CD decks. I actually built my own!

Good luck!

Nathan Fleming
14-05-2007, 10:31 PM
The bitrate question is one you will need to answer for yourself experiment and find a bitrate that matches your needs and space. However drives are getting very big and very cheap ripping everything at 320Kbps or even just to WAV is a viable option.

Make sure you use a decent ripper and IMHO EAC is the best in the world, www.exactaudiocopy.de

Don't use an internal drive as this will potentially cause problems, unless of course you are using a desktop, rackmount or shuttle system with IDE or SATA drive.

I will agree that if you decide to go the pc route then it MUST be an dedicated and optimised system.

Only you know the kind of work you do and you are the best person to decide what option will work for you best.

flatliners
14-05-2007, 10:36 PM
i love my vertual dj set up

PropellerHeadCase
14-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Also the larger the disk and the more MP3s on it the longer the search time will be and the more chance of blips caused by searches eating into RAM resources. 7200 RPM is a minimum rotational speed, and get heaps of RAM, for that reason.

Oh and always make sure that your OS (usually C: ) drive has at least 50% available space and any drive used for storage has at least 25% available space left on it.

DMX Will
14-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I do both.

I run Tracktor 3 on a desktop PC. I also run 2 N'Mark Axis 9 tabletop decks.

All of which runs into the N'mark 200USB Mixer (I don't use the USB bits, as Tracktor doesn't support multiple sound cards - I have a PCI 5.1 Terrarec card)

Works well, I tend to use CD as much as possible, I find it alot more physical, especially if adding effects and beat matching is more hands on. I use the PC for the odd tune, but also as a resource, tap in the song, and Tracktor will tell you where it is, as well as let you listen to the track before you even turn around to the CDs ;)

jamesh
14-05-2007, 11:25 PM
hmmmmm Been a computer DJ for a while now and here's my take on it...

The stereotypical comment on computer djing is that it's allot easier as the computer does everything for you.... which isn't true really and a load of bull whatsit :D. The only real difference between a computer system and CD based system is that with a CD system you are juggling cd's all night long where as with a computer based system all the tracks are on a drive....

Personally i find it easier but not because the computer does everything but more that it's quicker load in and load out and finding tracks doesn't involve trying to find a certain cd.... You just type the track into the seach and away you go... i use the system totally manually other than that - using a Dac 3 i find essential and makes using the computer near enough identical to using cd's and very hands on! and really does make the only difference the fact that you don't have to keep putting in and taking out cds....

Again backup wise there are for's and against's for both.... with CD's scratches and finger prints can cause problems or a CD might not be read for any reason during playback - like wise on a computer system it can crash / over heat / blue screen etc..... but there are ways around that and what ever source you use to playout from you should always have a back up - whether it be another cd player or computer system. The way i get around this is i have 2 separate computer systems running all the time with in the one gig box so should one suddenly crash for any reason i just put one of the faders up for computer 2 and hit play..... And as they are both racked within a 6U ABS case there is not additional setup time or anything.... the front comes off they get powered up and they are ready.

I do still take a cd wallet full of cd's with me to gigs and the Stanton dual cd players are still installed in the main gig box and some nights i'll keep switching from the computer system to cd's and back again.... So in theory i should never have an issue with not having a playout source as in total i have 4 computer outputs and 2 CD outputs that can be used at the same time... - well they say that variety is the spice of life and all that :D:D:D

I don't think one source is better than another really - it just depends what you're comfortable with.... I do think generally there is a stigma attached with computer djing and it does have a big stereotypical image against it and I have in the past comments of oh you're using a computer - do you download all your tracks etc... BUT at the end of the day the way i look at it is that it doesn't really matter what you use as a playout system as long as it works for you, you're happy and it aids you to do the best possible job...

sleah
15-05-2007, 10:47 AM
:agree: well said that man. Especially about the stereotypical image!
One of the best 'takes' on PCDJing I've read for ages :thumbs_up:

PropellerHeadCase
15-05-2007, 11:25 AM
That stereotypical image is exactly the same as that applied to CDJs by vinyl purists, too.

Has anyone actually found a good beat-matching algorithm yet? The beat-counter on every system I've ever used has always been off.

pagan_flame
16-05-2007, 01:22 PM
As an ex-computer engineer, I stayed away from it for ages... then took the plunge and got a laptop with OTSDJ.

Wouldn't be without it now - but I do run it alongside CD's mostly, just using it as an additional source of music.

However it does get used to play background music early on / during meal etc, and finally it gives you a finish time for your playlist, which I find very handy for timing the remaining tracks when you get to the last half hour of the night.

And of course the search facility for requests... oh and you can build and save playlists for future use...

...I'll get me coat. ;)

DJ Colin
16-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I have been a DJ since the mid 70's and used the full range of available media types for DJing. I moved to using a laptop with OtsDJ, in 2000 and would not change back to CDs or Mini Disks.

However, as a software engineer, I know the how vunerable you are if you depend totally on your computer. In the 7 years I have been using using OtsDJ it has never once let me down but, my laptop has crashed 3 times during a show due to either a hardware or operating system problem.

I always have a spare laptop with me as back up, my ipod and 2 compilation CDs. Belt and braces approach.

Dance FX
17-05-2007, 07:32 AM
We have just invested in a laptop :)

We will be taking the laptop, CD case and two ipods with us!
I tend to worry that things will breakdown :Laugh:

Still not sorted out a program to run on it yet so its going to be itunes for now

Sarah

Vectis
17-05-2007, 08:33 AM
A fabulous starter program is OTS Turntables. I think the 'silver' version (the lowest level whose licence terms allow public performance) will cost around £30 and it can be upgraded to OTS DJ later.

You can download a free fully functional version here... www.otdturntables.com ... you just can't use it 'live'.

jamesh
17-05-2007, 10:10 AM
or virtual dj home editions.... same as the pro version but without the option of hardware stuff like midi, timecoded vinyl etc...

Nathan Fleming
17-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Or PCDJ Blue

DJ Colin
17-05-2007, 01:12 PM
OtsTurntables is OK but was originally intended for bedroom djs. OtsDJ is the application you should look to using especially if you want to add Video and or Karaoke.

Vectis
17-05-2007, 01:29 PM
OtsTurntables is OK but was originally intended for bedroom djs.

Maybe, but here we have someone starting out and on a tight budget.

I still use OTS Turntables today for handling background music playout and on my standby laptop in case of problems with the main one.

For a beginner its devoid of complex technology overkill. Start it up, configure your sound card, load up some MP3's and mix away.

TONYTIGER
19-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi some really good advice from other djs. I myself bought the very first 00DJ from those nice people at computer dj (Hull) it has done about 700 gigs over the last 4 years in my opinion it is the only system really thought out for djs needs.I have had other systems come in to the shop for evaluation. cortex, denon, numark, ect but they are toys compared to the 00DJ (sorry if i upset any one) buts thats my opinon. I have been around a long time and have gone from vinyl to computer over the last 40 odd years and i fined that i can now face my punters hopefully entertaining them rather than have my head stuck in a record/cd box all night. Tony Tiger

Nathan Fleming
19-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Tiger

The 00DJ can't really be compared to Hard Disc Controllers as ultimatly it's just a computer.

I certainly would not call the Denon HD2500 a toy.

What do you use as a backup system?

Dance FX
20-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Maybe this is a really stupid question but when using one of these programes, while you have one song playing how do you cue up the second one?

CRAZY K
20-05-2007, 03:27 PM
i can now face my punters hopefully entertaining them rather than have my head stuck in a record/cd box all night. Tony Tiger

Theres some of us on here doing that every week with Cortex and Denon--so whats your angle on this then Tony?

Obviously theres no track record yet--but the signs are hopeful.

CRAZY K

TONYTIGER
21-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi the main difference with the oodj is that it has a touch screen so you can use it without a mouse or hardware contoller if you wish, you can also link a second screen up so the punters can use it to find there own selections. whats this about a hard drive the oodj has 2 one as a backup also a decent size sceen that you can see you need bins to read the oposition . its intresting to note the cortex sells for about £150 in the USA the oodj £2500 you get what you pay for .As for back up i allways carry a cd collection on the truck and have a dennon twin cd/mp3 built in to the console.My coments about not having your head in the cd box all night are in my opinon are the main advatage of computer djing which was the orginal question. Tony Tiger

Nathan Fleming
21-05-2007, 07:57 AM
I know exactly what the 00DJ is but it's still just a computer.

Tony Scott
21-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I've been using PCDJ Red 5.2 for years and found it to be superbly stable and well suited to my needs, I love the record case layout. Tried the later versions and found them not as stable so went back to 5.2.

I like the interface of a computer screen where you can see all your music files for that genre/decade etc. in one place, I find that scrolling down and browsing throws up ideas which may not have sprung to mind without the visual prompting. This helps my DJing skills & makes me more responsive..........really suits me!

Has anyone else tried this out yet? ULTRAMIXER2 http://www.ultramixer.com
I have been playing around with it on my Lighting laptop which also doubles up as my back-up music PC.

You can download a 30 day, fully functional advanced version which has very good effects & filters etc. The standard version is free but has no effects which is not really my thing when playing live (I use cooledit pro for production). I found it is very stable on Vista OS so far!
As the standard version is free it may be a good one for begginers or as a back-up? I'd be interested to see what others think?:)

NB: It can also be used with the ultra-cute Behringer BDJ 2000/3000 controllers

CRAZY K
21-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi the main difference with the oodj is that it has a touch screen so you can use it without a mouse or hardware contoller if you wish, you can also link a second screen up so the punters can use it to find there own selections. whats this about a hard drive the oodj has 2 one as a backup also a decent size sceen that you can see you need bins to read the oposition . its intresting to note the cortex sells for about £150 in the USA the oodj £2500 you get what you pay for .As for back up i allways carry a cd collection on the truck and have a dennon twin cd/mp3 built in to the console.My coments about not having your head in the cd box all night are in my opinon are the main advatage of computer djing which was the orginal question. Tony Tiger

Fine Tony, see what your saying---is this like the PCDJ hardware unit then?

I dont need glasses to read my Cortex--if thats what you were saying--even at my age:eek:

Would a Denon Cortex or Laptop with an external hard drive be easier than carrying back up CDs--which is what I do.

regards

CRAZY K

Nathan Fleming
21-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Alan

The 00DJ is a custom computer with a built touch screen in an attaché case, amazing product but is essentially a PC so no different other than the fact it has touch screen (as does my home built rack mount PC system) so even that functionality can still be achieved if you need it.

http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop/item.php?id=35

CRAZY K
21-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Alan

The 00DJ is a custom computer with a built touch screen in an attaché case, amazing product but is essentially a PC so no different other than the fact it has touch screen (as does my home built rack mount PC system) so even that functionality can still be achieved if you need it.

http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop/item.php?id=35

Sorry, didint realise it is a PCDJ product--seen a live demo down the dj shop---very impressive and even more expensive.

I get along fine with the Cortex which does enough for my simple needs--
bought the PC Red Software for my Laptop though:D
CRAZY K

DJ Colin
21-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Maybe this is a really stupid question but when using one of these programes, while you have one song playing how do you cue up the second one?

Hi DanceFX,

With OtsDJ I use an external soundcard for the live feed and use the internal soundcard for the cue channel.

Colin

Nathan Fleming
22-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Or you could use a multi channel sound card with a physical mixer and cue normally through either the software or physical mixer.