PDA

View Full Version : Sound measurement ?

Digitalsounds
15-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi,

Need some advice if possible,

We have had a request from one of our clients who we do some theatre productions for. She is about to move her dance studio to a new location due to council regeneration. She as planning permission on a location but one of the requirements is for her to confirm sound capabilitys and levels.
Now she has asked us to confirm to the council for her what she uses what is basicly a Kenwood home type seperates amp' amd a CD player. But im sure what the council are really getting at the the Db in the studio when music is in use. I hae no way of confirming this but would really like to b able to help get the answers she is looking for

Now does any one have an idea of what can be done ?

gillo
15-05-2007, 06:41 PM
got a mate in the same situation the whole room has to be soundproofed then inspected by somebody i think from maybe the environmental health or a company to make measurements to make sure there is no disturbance to nearby residents. Im sure if its only a simple set up like that then there wont be much level but if you have a big pa blearing thats where it becomes tricky.

Digitalsounds
15-05-2007, 06:59 PM
so far she thinks she will get away with me righting a letter confirming what she uses but soe how i think like you say it will come down to an enviromental issue, but the other think i want to know is the council planners want to take the measurements on the location where she is now and i dont see how that can apply to the new venue which is based on the first floor of a listied building so changes will have to be few and far.

Too be honest i told her to walk away but the location of new studio is prime to the city.

DMX Will
15-05-2007, 10:04 PM
You need a little sound meter device (thingy) such as:

http://www.terralec.co.uk/test_equipment/sound_level_meter/21919_p.html

Not sure what the rules around using it are thought (i.e stand 1m from source of sound or whatever) I know Jamie has one, so hopefully he'll reply and let you know.

As they're quite expensive, you might be able to hire/borrow one from any local sound engineers etc, or you may feel the need to buy. :)

Paul James Promotions
15-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Indeed, I do have an SPL metre, you are of course welcome to borrow it :)