PDA

View Full Version : what cd player you recommend for doing gigs with?

DaveyG1980
25-05-2007, 07:07 AM
hey guys only me again, what cd player mainly a dual one would you reccomend in getting, i have about 500 to spend what you thoughts... would like one where you can mix good with it and feel in control. cheers guys... all those who reply to this and to my other threads lke to say thankyou very much.:beer1:

rob1963
25-05-2007, 12:42 PM
hey guys only me again, what cd player mainly a dual one would you reccomend in getting, i have about 500 to spend what you thoughts... would like one where you can mix good with it and feel in control. cheers guys... all those who reply to this and to my other threads lke to say thankyou very much.:beer1:

Hi Davey,

Whichever one you go for, one feature is essential: anti-shock.

If you're looking to spend about £500, you could go for the Denon DN-4500, which has plenty of features. Denon stuff is very well built & lasts a long time, but I personally think it's a bit over-priced & I wouldn't spend £500 on a cd player.

I've recently started using the Numark MP302. It has less features than the Denon, but has anti-shock, plays MP3s and I've found it to be reliable. The normal price is over £300, but if you don't mind b-grade stock, you can currently get them from a company on ebay for £219 including free delivery. B grade in this case means they are new, work perfectly & still have a full 12 month guarantee, but they just have a couple of minor scratches on the case. I just got one & the scratches are on the top of the controller - so when it's in my console you won't see them anyway!

The other make I've used a lot in the past are KAM, which are pretty similar to Numark generally. I used the KCDMP3100 for a while. Like the Numark, this has anti-shock & also plays MP3s. It's recently been discontinued, although you should still be able to find companies which have them in stock. You should get one for about £250.

There is a fairly new KAM player, the KCDMP3200, which has more features than the KCDMP3100, although it costs a lot more - about £430. Also, please note that the controller is 3u high rather than 2u, so it might not fit in your console.

Whichever player you go for, make sure you have some kind of back-up!

Hope this helps.

:)

rob1963
25-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Anyone else? :confused:

Ricesnaps
25-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Denon all the way.

Have had the chance to use a variety of decks over the years, including Pioneer and ended up with a DND 4000. Can't beat them in my eyes.

No need to spend a fortune on the 4500, the 4000 is great and can be picked up for a little less.

BeerFunk
25-05-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd agree, if you want rock solid reliability - go for Denon. Saying that though, I've used the Numark CDN-90's loads in a club that I cover sometimes, and I can't fault them really. Well, maybe they're a little slow to pick up some CDs, but they may just need servicing :)

rob1963
25-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I've used the Numark CDN-90's loads in a club that I cover sometimes, and I can't fault them really. Well, maybe they're a little slow to pick up some CDs, but they may just need servicing :)

Beerfunk,

I agree that depending on the disc, the Numark can sometimes be a little slow to read the TOC, but I wouldn't class that as a major problem.

BeerFunk
26-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Beerfunk,

I agree that depending on the disc, the Numark can sometimes be a little slow to read the TOC, but I wouldn't class that as a major problem.

Not a major problem, no, perhaps not even a problem. It is worth mentioning these things though, as I'm sure we've all been in the situation where you have 30 seconds to load a disc and get it playing! :eek:

rob1963
26-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Not a major problem, no, perhaps not even a problem. It is worth mentioning these things though, as I'm sure we've all been in the situation where you have 30 seconds to load a disc and get it playing! :eek:

Very true, Beerfunk!

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-05-2007, 12:24 AM

Hence the reason why I use other methods. ;)

BeerFunk
26-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Hence the reason why I use other methods. ;)
You sing over the mic while you're cue'ing up your 12"?? :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-05-2007, 11:37 AM
You sing over the mic while you're cue'ing up your 12"?? :)

I have almost done that in the past when I used vinyl and one of my Technics went down.....

I had to talk over every song whilst my roadie changed the record.

That was 20 odd years ago and before the advent of cheap backups of course...;)