PDA

View Full Version : Textarea in Firefox - help

DK Karaoke
25-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Could do with some help with Firefox and textareas everyone. I am finishing my web site and on the contact me form page. I have done it all but the textarea for the other comments, keeps scrolling to the right in Firefox.

I have used the following code in my html-
<td><textarea name="other" id="other" rows="4" cols="40" tabindex="13"></textarea></td>

It scrolls ok in IE, but not firefox.

It starts to scroll down, if you press enter when you get to the right of the box, but its annoying.

Also I was wondering, does anyone know any good secure cdi script that I can use, as I dont want to use a Mailto. I have one I downloaded, with some Javascript for checking the entries in the form, but because I added fields etc., and dont know Javascript I dont know how to amend the script.

As you may have guessed, I am not up on all this coding, in fact up till 4 months ago, I didnt even know what HTML meant, so any help you can give would be really welcome.
Thanks

Marc J
25-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Could do with some help with Firefox and textareas everyone.
If you PM me the URL I'll take a look, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Also I was wondering, does anyone know any good secure cdi script that I can use, as I dont want to use a Mailto. I have one I downloaded, with some Javascript for checking the entries in the form, but because I added fields etc., and dont know Javascript I dont know how to amend the script.

A good CGI one (I'm assuming that's what you meant) is BNBForm (http://bignosebird.com/carchive/bnbform.shtml).

DK Karaoke
26-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Marc, Have sent you a pm (2) but I think I got the link wrong to the code for the script. Hope this is right?

http://thedemosite.co.uk/phpformmailer/

Hope you can understand it

Martyn

Marc J
26-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi Martyn,

There's nothing wrong with your textarea, it behaves exactly as it should in IE and Firefox. It'll only ever show a horizontal scroll bar if you enter a long line without a space, i.e. it can't wrap to the next line. Otherwise (in normal use) it'll wrap at the end of the line.

The difference between Firefox and IE is that IE always shows the vertical scrollbar, but Firefox only shows it when required.

Hope that helps?

By the way, the form your using is PHP, not CGI, so make sure your server supports this (most do now).

DK Karaoke
26-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks Marc, I was testing the break by pressing the same key until it reached the end on the line, but of course I had no space.

Had you already seen the php script I sent you, and do you know if its any good, as by the time I am finished I hopefully will have cracked javascript also, but dont think I can get to grips yet with php, its taken me too long already to get to where I am and need to get the site up and running.

When its done, which hopefully will be within the next couple of weeks I will post it here for comments.

Do you know if I put it on my sub-domain, whether people can see it or not, as I dont want to replace my holding page until the site is completely ready, and has been passed by w3c for coding etc.

Once again, am really grateful Marc for your help.

Martyn

Marc J
26-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Had you already seen the php script I sent you, and do you know if its any good, as by the time I am finished I hopefully will have cracked javascript also, but dont think I can get to grips yet with php, its taken me too long already to get to where I am and need to get the site up and running.I hadn't seen that particular one before, it says it prevents header injections and checks the referrer which is a good start. In my opinion PHP is easier to get to grips with than javascript.

Do you know if I put it on my sub-domain, whether people can see it or not, as I dont want to replace my holding page until the site is completely readyYour site should work ok on a subdomain, although any absolute links and variables with the full URL (for example those in contact.php) will have to be changed before going "live".