PDA

View Full Version : Cooling down time.

Penfold42
27-05-2007, 02:48 AM
How much time should you give for cooling down - amps, lights...etc, etc..
I have been giving it at least 20 minutes...

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...:o

Thames Valley Discos
27-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Before doing what? I personally turn lights of a couple of songs from the end, as for amp mixer etc, not sure they need to cool down . I assume you mean before moving them?

Vectis
27-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Always give halogens 5-10 mins before moving. Hazer gets 10-15 mins. Solid state stuff no problem.

rob1963
27-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Before doing what? I personally turn lights of a couple of songs from the end, as for amp mixer etc, not sure they need to cool down . I assume you mean before moving them?

Same here!

:)

Penfold42
27-05-2007, 09:45 AM

Before moving....and packing away, give my amp about 30 mins top's....is that enough? lights get about the same...
Also what about storage of amps...lay down stand up?

Thames Valley Discos
27-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Amps are solid state, therefore moving after switching off should cause no harm. just give bulbs enough time to cool a bit, although sometimes i move them while hot too.
If stored in the winter in a cold place, id let them warm up in the room prior to turning on though.

Ricesnaps
27-05-2007, 10:23 AM
If you have a controller that allows you to select black out, this may help. I use a CA-8 with my I-Shows and always use black out so the lamp goes off but the fan keeps running. Assuming this will help them cool!

Shaun
27-05-2007, 10:31 AM
I know I should wait a short time to allow for cooling of the lighting effects before I pack up, but I don't. As quick as I can get packed up and out the door, the better. I've never had a problem (so far).

Thames Valley Discos
27-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I know I should wait a short time to allow for cooling of the lighting effects before I pack up, but I don't. As quick as I can get packed up and out the door, the better. I've never had a problem (so far).

unlike me last night!

BeerFunk
27-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Amps are solid state, therefore moving after switching off should cause no harm. just give bulbs enough time to cool a bit, although sometimes i move them while hot too.
If stored in the winter in a cold place, id let them warm up in the room prior to turning on though.
Bang on, it's only the lighting you need worry about.

I pack everything away before touching the lighting, but to be honest, I only give them up to 15 minutes to cool. Never had any problems though.

super-hero
27-05-2007, 09:05 PM
You will find your bulbs last longer if you let them cool before moving them.

I have a set of futurescans and have not had to replace a bulb in them for about 2 years, and they get used twice a month.

DMX Will
28-05-2007, 11:36 PM
You could always just pack up the speakers/sound stuff first, then by the time you come to them...they're cooled enough. 5-10 minutes should be enough, which is probably the time it takes to get rid of your speakers/amps etc etc.

flatliners
30-05-2007, 10:49 PM
elite you wouldnt be saying that if you had discharge lamped lighting effects i think you would take your time

Shaun
30-05-2007, 10:57 PM
elite you wouldnt be saying that if you had discharge lamped lighting effects i think you would take your time

I've only recently sold my Martin Roboscans (which were discharge lamps). I never let them cool either before packing up. I've never had a problem. I know I should let them cool as I could have problems, but I never did.

Tony Scott
08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
AMPS: I always turn the potentiometers on my amps down to zero as soon as the music stops but leave the power on so that the fans can cool the output stages down before powering off.

I do this as I feel that towards the end of the night the amps have probably been pushed harder than at any time and will be nice and warm........ I like to be kind to my amps (no cliping, etc) but they do get pushed close to the clip-limit somtimes........especially if I take out the Folded Horns(Precision Devices PD1850's) :D :D :D :D :D Love em'!

LIGHTS: As everyone else has said, about 15mins and blackout asap. Last dance is usually just Mirror Balls and Pinspots so I have an extra 5mins or so of cooling time.

Paul James Promotions
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM

In 5 years, I have never changed a discharge lamp in a moving head. Usually, they get unplugged, truss gets lowered then straight into cases. I've even had a twin case roll out of our van, and lamps have survived, although i wouldn't recommend doing this on a regular basis :eek:

In general, the discharge lamps seem to be more robust than the Halogens.

Regards,

Jamie

Tony Scott
08-06-2007, 11:57 AM
In 5 years, I have never changed a discharge lamp in a moving head. Usually, they get unplugged, truss gets lowered then straight into cases. I've even had a twin case roll out of our van, and lamps have survived, although i wouldn't recommend doing this on a regular basis :eek:

In general, the discharge lamps seem to be more robust than the Halogens.

Regards,

Jamie

Yeah discharge lamps have no filliments so seem a lot more robust...........I understand that the current jumps from one electrode to the other thereby producing light so they don't have the fragile bits?? :confused: :)