PDA

View Full Version : Overdue Payment

Ricesnaps
30-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Just looking for some help here. This is something that has never (and will never in future) happened to me before.

Did a very posh wedding over two weeks ago with the understanding that I would play extra time for extra payment on the night. Now with all the will in the world, when you have 150 drunk and up for it people at 1am, switching the music off and telling them to have a whipround is not exactly the best solution.

Consiquently I sent an invoice the next day - sent to the brides father as the happy couple would have been away on honeymoon AND I only had the brides home address anyway. My standard terms and conditions state all overdue payment is due within 14 days. That woould have been last Saturday. No payment recieved. So I called the bride's mobile yesterday, switched off so I left a message.

There is now £50 owed - what's the next step?

Dragonfly
30-05-2007, 07:28 AM
give them a bit of grace..... they are on honeymoon??? just my suggestion

imo its not going to do you any favours for them to have any forceful letters on their doorstep "hope you enjoyed your honeymoon now give me my money for the disco" type thing.

if they are away for 3 weeks they wont be home yet and although it was to the brides father he may also be away or not know anything about the extra and want to consult his daughter.

the fact that the mobile is switched off would suggest to me that she is still away ....again I doubt she has switched it off with the thinking

"Im trying to avoid that dj who wants his £50"

anything other than a wedding id say send another letter .... but as said holidays that surround a wedding i personally would give them a little grace.

DJ Frankie
30-05-2007, 07:30 AM
I wouldnt worry if you only have the brides address its obvious she is away and no one has checked or opened her mail. I would wait until she gets back from HM and contact her again.

CRAZY K
30-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Just looking for some help here. This is something that has never (and will never in future) happened to me before.

Did a very posh wedding over two weeks ago with the understanding that I would play extra time for extra payment on the night. Now with all the will in the world, when you have 150 drunk and up for it people at 1am, switching the music off and telling them to have a whipround is not exactly the best solution.

Consiquently I sent an invoice the next day - sent to the brides father as the happy couple would have been away on honeymoon AND I only had the brides home address anyway. My standard terms and conditions state all overdue payment is due within 14 days. That woould have been last Saturday. No payment recieved. So I called the bride's mobile yesterday, switched off so I left a message.

I think this was always going to be a bit of a problem after your first post on this gig.

Hopefully what the other guys are saying is correct--you will have to sit tight a bit longer and keep your fingers crossed.

Its funny how people treat us isnt it--

You gave them by all accounts an absolutely fantastic evening---and yet when it comes to paying we are at the bottom of the chain--I have to say this as unpopular as it may be--you would have thought they would have said to the Brides dad--oh could you send that fabulous DJ that extra £50 we owed him and we will sort it out with you later.:D

Back to the real world----if nothing comes through send recorded delivery letter asking for settlement in 7 days--after that threatening letter mentioning regettably THEY LEAVE YOU NO CHOICE--but to go to Small Claims Court.

WHY do people do this??????? :confused:

Its not the £50 its the principle of it.

Could ask the Hotel if they have any phone numbers for Brides dad--thats a strategy I have used successfully in these circumstances years ago.

What you dont want to hear is that they owe the Hotel money as well--which is what happened to me:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

PS Did you get my email on the sign?

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
30-05-2007, 08:47 AM
PS Did you get my email on the sign?

CRAZY K
Yes, but the company who CONTENT REMOVED BY ADMIN...CLICK HERE FOR FULL EXPLANATION (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=114299#post114299) up in the first place have emailed to say they are going to try and re-print with better quality, so I guess it's only fair to give them the chance.

Just want to point out that the letter I sent to the father was simply a polite letter with an invoice for the outstanding fee, nothing unpleasent or threatening at all.

There is no hotel, this wedding took place in a marquee in the padock at the brides fathers farm, so that is the only place I have.

Although I hear what you are saying, I am rather CONTENT REMOVED BY ADMIN...CLICK HERE FOR FULL EXPLANATION (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=114299#post114299) that anyone can be like this!

CRAZY K
30-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Yes, but the company who ****ed up in the first place have emailed to say they are going to try and re-print with better quality, so I guess it's only fair to give them the chance.

Just want to point out that the letter I sent to the father was simply a polite letter with an invoice for the outstanding fee, nothing unpleasent or threatening at all.

There is no hotel, this wedding took place in a marquee in the padock at the brides fathers farm, so that is the only place I have.

Although I hear what you are saying, I am rather ****ed that anyone can be like this!

Re Sign GOING TO TRY--Err what does that mean?

Im going to try and do a decent Disco for you next time:D :D :D

If you want a proper job done you know where to contact.

£50 Ahh-so you know where the farm is--cant you phone them up and politely ask the situation?

Or if you were passing by--nip in ?
HTH

CRAZY K

rob1963
30-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Hiya Ricesnaps,

I agree that it's best to give them another week or two, and think there's a good chance your cheque will turn up within that time.

It's also worth considering that maybe your invoice went astray in the post - something that's happend a few times with paperwork I've sent out to clients.

Therefore, I'd wait a couple of weeks to see if anything turns up.

If not, I'd send a polite letter asking if they received the invoice which you sent on xx/05/2007.

If you haven't heard anything after another 7-10 days, I'd go with Crazy's idea & send a letter by recorded delivery requesting payment within 7 days and saying that if this was not forthcoming you will be seeking legal advice.

Even though it's not always the easiest thing to do, I think this situation demonstrates the importance of always being paid before you start the disco, and, if applicable, before you start the overtime.

Ricesnaps
30-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Even though it's not always the easiest thing to do, I think this situation demonstrates the importance of always being paid before you start the disco, and, if applicable, before you start the overtime.

Well, I am completely sorted on how this is going to be solved inthe future. I will, from now on, only play extended hours if I am payed up front at the time of payment of the balance to me. If the client "thinks" they might want an extra hour, they will be asked to pay for it up front and i will provide a refund if we actually don't play the hour.

Simple!

Shaun
30-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Please do not swear in posts. If you really need to vent use the = :Censored: emoticon. Further information regarding swearing on the forum can be found HERE (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=116093#post116093)

rob1963
30-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, I am completely sorted on how this is going to be solved inthe future. I will, from now on, only play extended hours if I am payed up front at the time of payment of the balance to me. If the client "thinks" they might want an extra hour, they will be asked to pay for it up front and i will provide a refund if we actually don't play the hour.

Simple!

Yes Ricesnaps - thats the only way to do it.

My t & c state that overtime must be paid for in cash BEFORE the overtime period commences.

I had to enforce this when doing a 40th birthday party last year. The birthday guy came up towards the end and asked if I could do another half hour. I agreed and told him it would cost an extra £30 which I would need BEFORE the extra time started.

He said ok & wandered off (ok, staggered off actually...he'd had a few drinks!). Just before midnight he hadn't come back with the extra money, so I announced & played the last song. It faded out, so then I stood and waited. After a good few minutes, the guy appeared & handed me the overtime cash - at which point I started again & did the extra 30 minutes.

theoloyla
30-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I did a wedding a couple of months back where I was handed an envelope at the end of the evening after the bride and groom had left. It contained a cheque. Unfortunately it wasnt for the right ammount. It was £30 short. I felt sure it was a mistake and so I e-mailed the bride (who had booked me) and said that I expected they were on honeymoon but that when they returned could they sort it out. 3 weeks later I received an apologetic reply with loads of praise and thanks for my services and a promise that a cheque would arrive in the post - which it did.
On the general subject of paying for overtime it is really a judgement thing isnt it? In the same way that there are some gigs you do where you want payment before you start and others where you trust the client to pay you at the end of the evening. In this case Ricey I think you are probably panicking a little too early BUT if they do not come good then as previously said pursue them. The suggestion of the phone call to the father to clarify the situation would seem to be an eminently sensible solution to me.

rob1963
12-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Ricesnaps,

Did the cheque turn up in the end?

Ricesnaps
13-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Ricesnaps,

Did the cheque turn up in the end?

£50 by paypal

PropellerHeadCase
13-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Result!