PDA

View Full Version : First site design... What do you think

bank
30-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Dear All,

I have created my first web site design for my djing (have designed a fair bit before) any way, I was wondering what your thoughts where and what I should change, etc.

You can see the design below: :)

http://www.uploadpic.net/uploads/2d47882c41.gif

Sorry about the water mark (the little faint mixup accross it)

Thanks

jamesh
30-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Looks very good although very similar to a template design rather than designed by you..

One thing i would say.. perhaps update the images at the top of the page of the tapes to CD's or vynal.... at least it will be a little more DJ based then.

rob1963
30-05-2007, 01:10 PM
..perhaps update the images at the top of the page of the tapes to CD's or vynal.... at least it will be a little more DJ based then.

I completely agree.

Cassettes are old-fashioned & don't help to convey the image of a modern disco.

Apart from that, it looks fine!

:)

Ricesnaps
30-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Is it me or is it all in a foreign language?

DMX Will
30-05-2007, 01:39 PM
PSSSST....I think it's a template ;)

bank
30-05-2007, 02:23 PM
One thing i would say.. perhaps update the images at the top of the page of the tapes to CD's or vynal.... at least it will be a little more DJ based then.

Used those just because I thought they would look good, although I can see your point.. Dj turns up with two tape players, ohh the height of technology.

Is it me or is it all in a foreign language?

Well, I filled it with some basic text to get the feel of what it would look like, if you want some random garbel search lorem in google and select the top link.

PSSSST....I think it's a template ;)

I can guarantee its not a template, all hand made by me :) can prove it if you wish, or show my portfolio... though thats bragging ;)

Thanks for all the comments, a little to change, so will get on with it.

Marc J
30-05-2007, 02:30 PM
There doesn't seem to be much room for content, and in practice wrapping the copy text around the graphic on the right will be problematic (not impossible) or at least annoying.

bank
30-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Well, in all fairness, I don't have the slightest what to put on the site yet, although for a gallery I could use one of these ever popular gallery dhtml systems. I will code it in xhtml, got the hang of the div's and css so :)

Any way, after talking a fair bit of posh talk, is this any better replacing the tapes to vinyl, not sure if it still has the same effect.

http://www.uploadpic.net/uploads/edb3b64fca.gif

any other ideas? and what can I do with the top right, its a little bare, stuck for ideas.

Thanks

Marc J
30-05-2007, 02:50 PM
for a gallery I could use one of these ever popular gallery dhtml systems.
I developed a gallery (details here (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=95589&postcount=11)) which is fairly easy to use. Uses PHP with a little htaccess trickery to auto watermark. Doesn't need a database, automatic pagination, automatic thumbnails, reads EXIF data from JPGs etc... :)

Any way, after talking a fair bit of posh talk, is this any better replacing the tapes to vinyl, not sure if it still has the same effect.Looks fine to me.

and what can I do with the top right, its a little bare, stuck for ideas.
You don't need to fill every space, personally I'd leave it or put something small, contact details or an email link, something like that.

bank
30-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I developed a gallery (details here (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=95589&postcount=11)) which is fairly easy to use. Uses PHP with a little htaccess trickery to auto watermark. Doesn't need a database, automatic pagination, automatic thumbnails, reads EXIF data from JPGs etc... :)

Thanks for that, will alter it so I can use it on my site, also, do you think if I use the css overflow function and include the content whilst having the decoration on the bottom right above the layer, I could then place more content in? Seems a fairly good idea to me.

You don't need to fill every space, personally I'd leave it or put something small, contact details or an email link, something like that.

I was rather hoping the contact page would fit that, although that could be a good idea, possibly an offer? or is that selling myself out before they've even talked to me.

I've decided to swap the pricing button, as each occasion is unique to booking, could just chuck a php form in.

Ohh, btw I'm sorry to all those who might not understand what we're getting at, please just tell me your thoughts :)

Thanks

Marc J
30-05-2007, 03:09 PM
do you think if I use the css overflow function and include the content whilst having the decoration on the bottom right above the layer, I could then place more content in? Seems a fairly good idea to me.
Do you mean have some scrolling content in the middle, "iframe" style (but with overflow:auto on a fixed height)? This would leave a very small fixed area (basically what's taken up by your first paragraph in the examples). If it weren't for the chevron design down the sides, you could keep your bottom right but and just have the page expand downwards as required. You could even get around that if you weren't fussy about the chevrons continuing around the bottom corners. Then, stick some static info to the left of the big bottom graphic to fill up the space....

Just thinking aloud...

bank
30-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Do you mean have some scrolling content in the middle, "iframe" style (but with overflow:auto on a fixed height)? This would leave a very small fixed area (basically what's taken up by your first paragraph in the examples). If it weren't for the chevron design down the sides, you could keep your bottom right but and just have the page expand downwards as required. You could even get around that if you weren't fussy about the chevrons continuing around the bottom corners. Then, stick some static info to the left of the big bottom graphic to fill up the space....

Just thinking aloud...

Hmm, thanks for that, it would seem like an iframe although be static, so it works better with seo, etc. I was thinking I could place it where the first paragraph is and then continue behind the image on the bottom right.

Can't get rid of the chevrons, unless I made a general background so the main content could be extended whilst taking advantage of using opacy in .gif's?

Otherwise thanks for the ideas :) and shall just reduce content.

Thanks