PDA

View Full Version : Have a looky

Jiggles
01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Well i have been playing with ideas and have come up with this:

http://cbentertainments.bustedjump.com/test/cbent/

What do you think? Even tho is only one page!

Marc J
01-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Can't see it....but then my ISP is playing up and I can't see a lot of sites. I can't get Will's either, and I know you're on the same host, so the problem is at my end not yours.

Looks like Blueyonder / NTL / Virgin Media or whatever they're calling themselves this week are, what's the word.....Toilet?

PropellerHeadCase
01-06-2007, 09:16 PM
OK, take the 's' off "abouts us".

The frontage on your desk looks like black polythene with some printing on it... figure out a way to pull it across your frontage so that it's tight and flat and THEN take a photo for your home page ;)

Jiggles
01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
OK, take the 's' off "abouts us".

The frontage on your desk looks like black polythene with some printing on it... figure out a way to pull it across your frontage so that it's tight and flat and THEN take a photo for your home page ;)

Sorted!
that was flat! it was after my dad knocked one of the speaker stands when i took the photo!

rob1963
01-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Callum,

You need to put a gap between "contact us" & "FAQs"

Apart from that, it's not bad...but there is something I don't like about it, although I can't put my finger what it is exactly.

Maybe it's too sparse or bland, or maybe the photos should be bigger.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

:confused:

rob1963
01-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Looks like Blueyonder / NTL / Virgin Media or whatever they're calling themselves this week are, what's the word.....Toilet?

:lol:

Jiggles
01-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Fixed :):):D

DMX Will
01-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I dread to think how many of your test sites I'm hosting!! - lol

You keep re-designing Callum, and I'm not sure why? Perhaps you should look at some online templates, then use the knowledge you have of html/graphics to edit them to suit you. That way you come up with a good site (that you don't hate after X amount of time and feel you have to re-design). There's no shame in doing it like that at your age. However I feel your from scratch designs don't quite cut it....yet!

Something to think about.
:)

Marc J
02-06-2007, 08:02 AM
It's an improvement, but I think what Will and Rob are trying to say is that it's lacking a real layout....it's bold and fresh and all that but it does just look like one thing after another added to the page with no real thought given to the layout.

You've done a lot in Fireworks, I'm assuming you've also got Dreamweaver, try doing a little more of the design in Dreamweaver rather than in Fireworks -it'll give you a feel for how the page will look as a webpage rather than a static graphic sliced up (i.e. at different sizes etc.). For example the header is left aligned while the page content is centred - you might not have notice that, but I run at 1600 x 1200 and it is very noticeable, especially while resizing the window. Even if you don't have Dreamweaver, whatever you're using as your HTML editor should give you a better idea.

Why have you used PNGs? They're generally larger files and not fully supported (only recently in IE7).

In fact, why have you used graphics for the navigation at all? That'd be much better as text, styled using a CSS stylesheet.

Don't take it too hard, this is advice not criticism. Like I said it's an improvement so you're heading in the right direction :)

bank
02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Well first of all, i'm glad i've got broadband, those photos are huge, try using .gif's, they use a whole load less space and will be about an 1/8 of the size therefore loading quicker.

As Marc said the site does seem to lack a clear layout or positioning, your header seems to be too big and a little oversized. The navagation is rather hard to read, due to the colour, maybe use a background behind it to make it easier to read. Also a good idea is to make a hover over, so it changes when using it, the idea of placing the navagation into CSS would allow you to do this easily without adding java to your site.

The main part of the site is under the fold (ie what you can't see when you log straight on, you really should make the pictures smaller, or create a layout so the pictures site some where and the content moves up.

I like the circle photos, they could look quite good if you fiddle about, how about layering them off set to cover each of the edges? Could work quite well.

Try adding backgrounds to the text and make it a grey or black, its easier to read dark on light.

One last tip, try getting your hands on photoshop, its much easier to use than fireworks, trust me, also there are tonnes of tutorials out there to help with anything :)

Hope that all helps, and I'm not trying to digg at you.

Jiggles
07-06-2007, 06:40 PM
well i have come up with this:

http://cbentertainments.co.uk/web.png

What do you think?

rob1963
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Callum,

Is it just me, or do you come up with a new website design which you really like, then go off it 5 minutes later & start working on another one?

Jiggles
07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Callum,

Is it just me, or do you come up with a new website design which you really like, then go off it 5 minutes later & start working on another one?

I have taken in to account to what was said above! In order to do that what i nned to do was to creat somthing new! :)

rob1963
07-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Ahhhh...well in that case, it looks pretty good to me!

Jiggles
07-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Ahhhh...well in that case, it looks pretty good to me!

:D:D:D

the penny drops :p

DMX Will
07-06-2007, 11:16 PM
You'll find if you work with a design for ages and ages, you end up growing to like it. If you come to it the next day, you might think "Good God, what was I thinking" - I expect this the explination to Callums constant re-designs.

Like i said, get a template!

soundtracker
07-06-2007, 11:49 PM
doesn't work for me at all!

Jiggles
08-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Like i said, get a template!

That is what it is!!!! :D :p

Marc J
08-06-2007, 04:20 PM
You'll find if you work with a design for ages and ages, you end up growing to like it. If you come to it the next day, you might think "Good God, what was I thinking" - I expect this the explination to Callums constant re-designs.

I find the exact opposite. I think I like a design, work with it for a while and by the time the site is ready to go live I've grown to hate the design!

What I try to do is finish a little bit first, then go do something else for a few days. If I still like it when I come back, it's a start at least :)

I think you're going in the right direction, Callum. Doesn't look like there's much room for content, though.