PDA

View Full Version : Let me introduce myself..

OneSteve
01-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi Guys, stumbled on your village on my way through cyberspace looking for a DMX controller! LOL

I'm Steve, based in Larbert Scotland, currently in the process of setting up a decent outfit in Central Scotland. I'm no stranger to the disco business, in fact I'm somewhat of a senior now, I started jocking over 25 years ago at the ripe old age of 14 (Well 12, if Hospital Radio can be counted!). My DJing has taken me far and wide and I hope I can contribute as much to the forum as I hope to gain from it.

First a quick rundown as to why I'm making such a step at 39. At 14 I worked for a mobile outfit based in Glasgow, spent 4 years in total with them and during that time (at around my 16th birthday) started working parallel as a freelance resident in what was back then, one of Glasgow's if not Scotlands, largest clubs, Zanzibar in Sauchiehall Street (pronounced Sausage Roll St. !!).

I stayed at zanzibar for a couple of years and built up a good reputation, moved around all of the big name clubs in both Glasgow and Edinburgh over the next 4 years. At that time there was only really one style, Commercial!

At age Twenty I headed off to Spain and spent Two seasons in Salou, 2 seasons in Tenerife and 1 year in Mallorca. Jetting back every winter to work in Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Moved to Germany in 1993 and worked as a resident at the top club in Hamburg, Die Insel (Kind of the Stringfellows of Northern Germany!), and various other clubs in and around Hamburg, before hanging up my cans at age 33 (2000), and moving in to I.T.

Now living back in Scotland, I still work in I.T. and have still done the occassional party for friends/family, keen to get back on the mobile circuit and have invested heavily in a sound & light system that should impress. I must say though, I've always been a commercial jock, great at mixing but also very good with a mic and audience participation (Summer seasons in Spain kick ass!).

Must admit it was somewhat daunting buying gear, last time I worked in the mobile game it was all Citronic thames II's and pulsar lighting controllers, not to mention front screens! Still trying to get my head around my Starville DMX controller. Who know's maybe I'll find the answers I search here.

I know it's long winded, but just wanted to fill in as many blanks as I can.

ian8limelight
01-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Welcome aboard. You'll find a lot of interesting info. on here.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers a Citronic Thames 2 (Or Isis come to that !) !!

OneSteve
01-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Yes but the Thames II was the big boys one, the cowboys used Hawaiis' !

Penfold42
01-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Hello and welcome...
Pull up a chair....

Steve will be along later to offer you a beer.....:D...so I won't....:D

Need advise on DMX...Wills your man...

PropellerHeadCase
02-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Greetings, and stuff...

Shaun
02-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the forum :)