PDA

View Full Version : Getting the price right

Ricesnaps
04-06-2007, 03:50 PM
OK, I have just been working on my new prices ready for my "it's me not the gear" aproach from next Sunday.

Without posting all the detail, I am going to provide personal quotes, based around a standard stucture. After all my previous packages just didn't make sense.

So wondered if the following "examples" are OK?

1. Standard wedding evening disco with early set up - £275
2. Evening wedding with DJ present for speaches with radio mic - £335 - £355
3. Evening disco, DJ and background music available all day and microphones for speaches if required - £425 - £450
4. All of above, but with civil ceremony covered - £525

Obviously not going to open up my pricing structure and the level of the fee is a personal thing, but do they now make a little more sense. I think previously i was adding £100 just for the use of microphones and it seemed a little oddly priced. If there are any suggestions, I can re-visit my structured prices and tweek.

rob1963
04-06-2007, 04:07 PM
OK, I have just been working on my new prices ready for my "it's me not the gear" aproach from next Sunday.

Without posting all the detail, I am going to provide personal quotes, based around a standard stucture. After all my previous packages just didn't make sense.

3. Evening disco, DJ and background music available all day and microphones for speaches if required - £425 - £450

Obviously not going to open up my pricing structure and the level of the fee is a personal thing, but do they now make a little more sense. I think previously i was adding £100 just for the use of microphones and it seemed a little oddly priced. If there are any suggestions, I can re-visit my structured prices and tweek.

Ricesnaps,

Maybe you could simplify it even more.

How many of your clients book example number 3 or number 4?

I've NEVER had a client wanting this, so if I was you, I'd scrap those & just quote extra if that kind of package was requested.

It might also be worth having a (presumably cheaper) example for a standard wedding evening disco with an EVENING set up.

I appreciate that you always try to set up in the daytime, but it's worth remembering that some clients don't want to be staring at a load of electrical equipment during the wedding breakfast. Apart from that, there will be occasions when a daytime set up simply isn't possible due to issues of space. In other words, you sometimes can't get in to set up until they start clearing away the tables & turning the room around for the evening reception.

I'm sure you'll be true to form & tell me what rubbish I'm speaking, but I'm just giving my honest opinion.....as always!

:)

DMX Will
04-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I agree with Rob, you might as well have the package on your "list" as if it never gets used, it's not the end of the world.

I assume this is just for Weddings...as there is no mention of other functions, should you be booked to do one.

Ricesnaps
04-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Ricesnaps,

Maybe you could simplify it even more.

I've NEVER had a client wanting this, so if I was you, I'd scrap those & just quote extra if that kind of package was requested.

the "all day" example - I have 5 booked in for this so far this year and 1 for next. Quite a popular option, but I think previously it got confused with the microphone package. As for civil wedding ceremony, I have no idea if that'll be asked for, so it's there to add on.

I appreciate that you always try to set up in the daytime, but it's worth remembering that some clients don't want to be staring at a load of electrical equipment during the wedding breakfast. Apart from that, there will be occasions when a daytime set up simply isn't possible due to issues of space. In other words, you sometimes can't get in to set up until they start clearing away the tables & turning the room around for the evening reception.

Correct. I think the point that's getting a little missed here is that the examples I gave were simply examples of quotes I MIGHT give. The client would have absolutely no idea that the others existed, unless they specifically asked me to price two or more differnt requests.I was just hoping to get a feel from you guys if I was in the right sort of ball park.

The way it'll work, is me with a list of pre-defined costs for different parts of my service. This is mainly based on my time, so adding microphones would add 2 - 3 hours more of my time, so add on £60 - £90, if the client would like me to be part of the whole day, add another 3 hours and so on.

soundtracker
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm getting a feeling of deja-vu here!

Ricesnaps
04-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm getting a feeling of deja-vu here!

Something you have done before or is this something I have said or done.

Certainly haven't put prices to anything before

wensleydale
04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
why do you need fixed prices- why not listen to EXACTLY what people want and then go from there.
then you can really take account of distance, ease of access to venue, amount of gear required etc.

i still don't like the one price fits all (or 4 prices fit all approach) because each event is "bespoke".

Ricesnaps
04-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Just re-read that statement and had a thought. Have you ever offered that sort of service, or asked your wedding client if there's anything they would like you to do?

rob1963
04-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Just re-read that statement and had a thought. Have you ever offered that sort of service, or asked your wedding client if there's anything they would like you to do?

Yes, Ricesnaps...with all the clients I speak to on the phone or meet in person I tell them that I will do exactly what they want, and then ask them to explain what they are looking for.

rob1963
05-06-2007, 12:10 AM
why do you need fixed prices- why not listen to EXACTLY what people want and then go from there.
then you can really take account of distance, ease of access to venue, amount of gear required etc.

i still don't like the one price fits all (or 4 prices fit all approach) because each event is "bespoke".

Wensleydale,

You can still listen to the client's requirements & do exactly what they want...whether you have fixed prices or not.

I choose to have fixed prices, which are shown on my website...mainly for simplicity.

When deciding whether to book a service, you need to know two things...what service is available, and also the price. By not initially showing our prices, or even giving a guide, we are not providing all the information they need.

I know some DJs say that when they are contacted for a quote it gives them a chance to sell their services, but it might not get to that stage. It's possible clients will go elsewhere if prices are not shown...as they might think you are expensive & don't want to scare clients off by advertising your prices.

Also, by having prices on my website, I avoid the enquiries which start "How much....." so I don't have to waste my time in dealing with those price driven people, and directing them elsewhere.

Another advantage is that most of my queries only ask about availability on a particular date...because they already know the prices, and obviously wouldn't be making the enquiry if they weren't happy with them. Therefore, I don't have to worry about giving them a quote which they might then say is too much, and I don't have to worry about having to justify my prices, because my website's already done that for me.

I appreciate that all weddings are different, but that doesn't mean that we have to charge differently for every one. Fixed prices keep things nice & simple. Some of my gigs are a long way away, 5 hours long & take place upstairs, in which case they take more time & cost more in travel expenses. On the other hand, you also get the easy ones, like a wedding I have soon which is only 5 miles away and finishes at 10.30pm! So, I gain on some bookings & lose on others...but it all evens out in the end.

If I buy something large in a shop, they sometimes have a delivery charge. This charge is set - regardless of how far I live from their depot, how near to my door they can park, which floor I live on etc etc.

I like the idea of being told the delivery charge at the outset...without first having to answer a load of questions about where I live...in order for them to give me a specific quote.

EDIT: For those that DON'T have prices on your websites, post #13 in this thread will give you some food for thought.

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 05:40 AM

That's exactly what I'm doing!!!!

The prices I gave were simply EXAMPLES of personal quotes. All I have done is put some commonality into the things that make up my quote so that my quotes are consistant. Much better than plucking a figure out of the air when you talk to a client.

For example, this allows me to adapt to the requirements. Client A asks for me to be present from 4pm and provide a microphone for there speaches, So the time from 4pm - 7pm is charged at an hourly rate. That means that client B who asks me to be with them from 5pm pays less for there package (or at least is quoted less). What it does mean is that if I get two clients who want me from 5pm and both have similar requirements, they both get the same quote

CRAZY K
05-06-2007, 07:31 AM

Erm---Considering the intention to move into upmarket style Weddings Charging £275 seems cheap for an early set up PLUS complete Wedding Disco considering the extra time and petrol it takes--relative to the other prices, considering you have a roadie and a big van to run.

And yet Music all day means setting up in the morning, being there all day and then getting home at 2am? having left home at 9am? is that 17 hours out the house for £425---what happens re -the roadie--hes not going to be there all the time surely?

Using hourly rates from customers point of view sounds good value--but not from yours?

CRAZY K

PropellerHeadCase
05-06-2007, 07:43 AM
A selection of quotes from brides that I've been talking to recently:

"What really really gets up my nose is websites that dont provide prices, I dont care what you do, until I know whether I can possibly afford you, I wouldnt read through 20 pages if I dont know if I can even afford to hire or buy."

"...when I was first shopping around I had no idea on prices so those who had their prices got alot more interest from me as I found it helped me put my budget together and helped me get a realistic idea of what to expect price wise..."

"having at least an idea of price is rather important and it has in the past put me off vendors when I can't find even a ballpark figure"

Sure, some brides are prepared to read through your info and/or send an email asking for a quote, but having an advertised price does seem to keep potential clients on your site for longer which generally equates to a greater chance of conversion.

Just some food for thought.

Corabar Steve
05-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Charge what you think you're worth.

CRAZY K
05-06-2007, 08:49 AM

"What really really gets up my nose is websites that dont provide prices, I dont care what you do, until I know whether I can possibly afford you, I wouldnt read through 20 pages if I dont know if I can even afford to hire or buy."

"...when I was first shopping around I had no idea on prices so those who had their prices got alot more interest from me as I found it helped me put my budget together and helped me get a realistic idea of what to expect price wise..."

"having at least an idea of price is rather important and it has in the past put me off vendors when I can't find even a ballpark figure"

Sure, some brides are prepared to read through your info and/or send an email asking for a quote, but having an advertised price does seem to keep potential clients on your site for longer which generally equates to a greater chance of conversion.

Interesting Alan, as it happens I have published rates on my main site to actually stop getting quote requests from people who cant afford me--but your research suggests additional advantages.

CRAZY K

colinm345
05-06-2007, 09:22 AM

If I did that I doubt whether I would get any work:)

I for one price on an individual basis ,and if asked to quote by e-mail almost always offer to speak to the customer on the phone to discuss their requirements in greater detail
I must be doing something right as my converstion rate is very very high ,or maybe I am too cheap?especially after reading of prices around £400?:)

rob1963
05-06-2007, 10:00 AM

Hi Al,

I agree 100%.

Let me buy you a beer!

Those who don't have prices on your websites, please take note!

:D

colinm345
05-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Sorry,beg to differ:)

CRAZY K
05-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi Al,

I agree 100%.

Let me buy you a beer!

Those who don't have prices on your websites, please take note!

I do also have a website with no prices (as well as one with them on) and it still attracts a large number of enquiries ( possibly because its on page 1 on Google search) and a reasonable number of converted bookings--so I guess its not all black and white:D

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Erm---Considering the intention to move into upmarket style Weddings Charging £275 seems cheap for an early set up PLUS complete Wedding Disco considering the extra time and petrol it takes--relative to the other prices, considering you have a roadie and a big van to run.

And yet Music all day means setting up in the morning, being there all day and then getting home at 2am? having left home at 9am? is that 17 hours out the house for £425---what happens re -the roadie--hes not going to be there all the time surely?

Using hourly rates from customers point of view sounds good value--but not from yours?

CRAZY K

Interesting comments!

So I can get more focussed advice, let me explain.

An early morning set up in my proposed price plan adds £25 to an evening disco, so and eveing on it's own, theoretically would make me £250. As you all know, I like my early set ups, so I push these wherever possible, so it is highly unlikely (only those where I really can't get in early) that I will not do that. So I am planning not to highlight the fact that it's that extra in my quote.

When i come to the all day rates, my hourly based proposal would be based on my time with the client. Generally, if I'm doing this, I wouldn't arrive for a 9am set up (as there seems no realy point in setting up only to come back a couple of hours later). If the couple are sitting down for a 2pm meal, I would turn up at say 12.30 to set up and base the quote to the client on a 2pm start. So standard disco at £250, early set up due to the meal £25 and 5 hours of my time £150 give you £425. Does that suggest my "hourly rate" is not high enough. Maybe I am trying to hedge my bets and not take the big price hike plunge?

it might be worth bearing in mind that I planned to factor in other things within the "quote" based on individual requirement. So for example, if I had to use my 2nd PA for the daytime part of the function I would add on £25 (why? because there's extra work for me) and so on.

Can I remind you again that the prices quoted are simply an aid to me to help generate a quote and ensure that my quotes are consistant. The client will only ever be given a single uncomplicated price for the service they have asked for!

rob1963
05-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Sorry,beg to differ:)

You can disagree, Colin, but Al's quotes from 4 different brides speak for themselves.

Lets look at the OTHER side of the argument...

...For those that DON'T have prices on your websites, how many of the potential clients that contact you say "I was really pleased there were no prices on your website. It was really helpful"?

I think I already know the answer!

colinm345
05-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Hear what you say but I have never had a problem with this after 30 years in sales I think i know what Im doing:D
My motto is price should be one of the last things on someones mind,although very important and I have no intention of making my website look cheap & nasty by putting a price list up on it the whole idea is to get them to contact you one way or another

Quality should come first

However it does not do for all of us to think the same does it now:)

rob1963
05-06-2007, 11:28 AM
My motto is price should be one of the last things on someones mind

With all due respect, you might think that, but in the real world I'd suggest that price is often the FIRST thing on peoples minds.

I think they usually set a budget first, and then look at the different options available.

For example, when I decide to replace my van, the first thing I decide is what I want to spend. I'll save up the money, and then look at whats available within that budget.

Also, you will often see MDD forum members asking for advice on what equipment they should buy. Most of the time, they say what their budget is & THEN ask people for advice on what to get.

colinm345
05-06-2007, 11:35 AM
With all due respect, you might think that, but in the real world I'd suggest that price is often the FIRST thing on peoples minds.

I think they usually set a budget first, and then look at the different options available.

For example, when I decide to replace my van, the first thing I decide is what I want to spend. I'll save up the money, and then look at whats available within that budget.

Also, you will often see MDD forum members asking for advice on what equipment they should buy. Most of the time, they say what their budget is & THEN ask people for advice on what to get.

Well some very interesting points there,but our job is to qualify customers and sell the benefits
Still as I have said before I do not seem to have a problem as my client list will testify

http://www.starmaker2000.co.uk/disco/html/starmaker2000_clients.html

colinm345
05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Added to the above one hotel that I am a supplier to rent out their hotel for weddings at £25000 per weekend ,at that price the price of adding a disco is a mere drop in the ocean ,and not the first thing on their minds:) :) :)

Penfold42
05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I advertise my prices on my web site - £50 set up / £25 per hour or part of....including weddings.

I'm new to the game but decided that this is where i would start to pitch myself for at least the first year to see how we went so to speak, I have also not asked for quotes off of other companies as this is the price I THINK I WOULD PAY FOR A NIGHTS ENTERTAINMENT.

The reason I placed the prices on the web site is people can budget for what they can spend and I end up not chasing people on the phone for no gain....I'm not wasting my time or energy into something that is not there!!!

Right or wrong...i'll have to find out...i also think i've just priced myself just above the 'Gun Slingers in town'....:D

PropellerHeadCase
05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Well some very interesting points there,but our job is to qualify customers and sell the benefits

Our job is also to make at easy as possible for the client to make a decision.

My question would be how many enquiries who have a budget of, say, £300 are going to pay £450 for the exact service that they had budgeted £300 for, just because the pitch was good?

rob1963
05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
...i also think i've just priced myself just above the 'Gun Slingers in town'....:D

*Gets off his horse & heads for the saloon*

:p

Penfold42
05-06-2007, 12:01 PM
*Gets off his horse & heads for the saloon*

:lol:

colinm345
05-06-2007, 12:06 PM

My question would be how many enquiries who have a budget of, say, £300 are going to pay £450 for the exact service that they had budgeted £300 for, just because the pitch was good?

Good point but in sales you qualify people:)

colinm345
05-06-2007, 12:11 PM
However it seems that we cannot agree,but in saying that its certainly a thought provoking discussion,Why dont we run a poll on it:)

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 12:13 PM

But equally, how many brides and grooms actually know how much a DJ is going to cost them and how many actually realise before they speak to a prospective DJ what they have to consider?

I talk to lots of couples who have initially called up just to book or get a price. Sure I would imagine they have an idea of what it's going to cost and the funding available for there DJ does vary (for example, a couple doing it in a village hall with there mum's catering for them will possibly have an idea that they should pay £150, a couple at a posh expensive hotel may already be expecting at least £300). Our job as salesmen for our business is to sell them the dream and the perfect solution. If you can solve all of the potential concerns that a bride and groom have and make them believe and realise that this is exactly what they need, then why should they even consider worrying about it being £150 more. I would imagine they will already have been to a few hotels and ended up paying a little more than they thought because the hotel recomended Champagne for toasts and not Cava, or the photographer up sold his services and is now staying to photograph the first dance, or maybe the man selling wedding cars managed to demonstrate how much better the Rolls was from the Bentley and gained an extra £100.

They all do it and get the money, why not us?

rob1963
05-06-2007, 12:31 PM
But equally, how many brides and grooms actually know how much a DJ is going to cost them?

All the ones who have seen disco websites with PRICES on!!!

PropellerHeadCase
05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
All true, and all fair points, but one of the things that we as DJs have to recognise is that very often we are amongst the last suppliers to be hired. As such budgets are often already all but exhausted, so it can be very hard to upsell when the money simply isn't there.

My point is, though, unless you drop your price through the quoting process you may well be flogging a dead horse, whereas if they aren't turned off by an advertised price with a clear and concise description of what they get for their money then closing the deal should be a lot simpler. And you'll get a lot less tyre kickers.

As has been said a million times, it all comes down to how you feel you can best represent your business, and what you feel most comfortable doing. There's no right or wrong 'cause for everyone that does something one way there are people who appreciate that way of doing business.

My rationale is simple: I'd rather not waste time quoting to people who aren't going to pay my asking price, advertising my price will save them and me an unnecessary series of emails and/or phone conversation(s). That's it. My site (copy went to the web-designer today) will be extremely informative and it is that information, free to any visitor, that I think will sell my service in a more full and complete way than a conversation that may get side-tracked or bogged down in minutiae.

PropellerHeadCase
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Now if we're honest Rob, if they look at your web site they will know how much two different sets of equipment will cost them. How will they know how much a DJ will be?:eek:

colinm345
05-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Look it does not matter what matters are your CONVERSIONS:)

rob1963
05-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Now if we're honest Rob, if they look at your web site they will know how much two different sets of equipment will cost them. How will they know how much a DJ will be?:eek:

Ricesnaps,

I throw in the DJ for free!

colinm345
05-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Lol:) :) :) :)

CRAZY K
05-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Look it does not matter what matters are your CONVERSIONS:)

And then getting paid of course:D

CRAZY K

colinm345
05-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Cheeky:D :) :) :) :)

colinm345
05-06-2007, 03:01 PM
But equally, how many brides and grooms actually know how much a DJ is going to cost them and how many actually realise before they speak to a prospective DJ what they have to consider?

I talk to lots of couples who have initially called up just to book or get a price. Sure I would imagine they have an idea of what it's going to cost and the funding available for there DJ does vary (for example, a couple doing it in a village hall with there mum's catering for them will possibly have an idea that they should pay £150, a couple at a posh expensive hotel may already be expecting at least £300). Our job as salesmen for our business is to sell them the dream and the perfect solution. If you can solve all of the potential concerns that a bride and groom have and make them believe and realise that this is exactly what they need, then why should they even consider worrying about it being £150 more. I would imagine they will already have been to a few hotels and ended up paying a little more than they thought because the hotel recomended Champagne for toasts and not Cava, or the photographer up sold his services and is now staying to photograph the first dance, or maybe the man selling wedding cars managed to demonstrate how much better the Rolls was from the Bentley and gained an extra £100.

They all do it and get the money, why not us?

SPOT ON:)

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Ricesnaps,

I throw in the DJ for free!

Where as the rest of us charge for the DJ and throw the kit in for free!

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Now to get back onto my original thread. Would you say the price breakdown was about right or have I missed something.

For the sake of this, maybe you could try and put the "how much" to one side and consider the "how much more" question. For example, is the increase per hour to account for providing services during the day a big enough jump, or should I consider set blocks of extra time rather that just quoting for exactly what's asked for?

The only "price" answer I might be looking for would be my base price. Crazy suggested that £275 seemed a little low for an evening disco with early set up, would you all agree, or will I actually put people off going for say £300? I have also considered the cost of travel as well and was going to add on £50 for bookings over 50 miles but with a morning set up to cover the cost.

Corabar Steve
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM

If I did that I doubt whether I would get any work:)
That was actually a sideswipe at Matt.

We only have example prices on our site, but base each quote on the individual job (so there are no actual firm prices on our site). We uaually have between 2 & 4 rigs out per day at weekends.

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 09:40 PM
That was actually a sideswipe at Matt.

Maybe I'm, having a bad day, but that meant?

Corabar Steve
05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Maybe I'm, having a bad day, but that meant?

Charge what you think you're worth.Where have I heard that before? :sj:

Ricesnaps
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Where have I heard that before? :sj:

Ah, with you now. Long day with the Turkeys!

Absolutely right, and I am as you suggest a big fan of exactly that, but hopefully I have also suggested that this is the big leap for em, so I guess I just need some reasurance!

PropellerHeadCase
05-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Now to get back onto my original thread. Would you say the price breakdown was about right or have I missed something.

For the sake of this, maybe you could try and put the "how much" to one side and consider the "how much more" question. For example, is the increase per hour to account for providing services during the day a big enough jump, or should I consider set blocks of extra time rather that just quoting for exactly what's asked for?

The only "price" answer I might be looking for would be my base price. Crazy suggested that £275 seemed a little low for an evening disco with early set up, would you all agree, or will I actually put people off going for say £300? I have also considered the cost of travel as well and was going to add on £50 for bookings over 50 miles but with a morning set up to cover the cost.

Remember what the hitched-girls were saying about a reasonable price for a DJ?