PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody store their gear in their van in the garage.

scoopd
09-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Just wondering if anybody (or anyone's friends) store their gear in the garage?
I am looking at possibly keeping my gear in the van in the garage over the winter with a storage heater but was just wondering if this is a ridiculous idea.Also what the insurance implications would be?

Many Thanks

wensleydale
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
yes.
in the garage- covered in blankets.
seems ok.
i know others who have done it for years.
insurance depends on policy.

Ricesnaps
09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
The van always lives in our garage, full or gear - never had any problems. Oh other than the fact that once in the garage I can't actually open the door and get out! Currently have to push the last bit.

Anyone know of a cheap powered winch system I could use - can't do the last push alone and wife's pregnant now and not a good plan for her to help!

rob1963
09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I think there are 3 things to consider when storing gear in your garage:

1) Insurance implications

2) Security...maybe not as good as if the gear's in the house.

3) Damp...and it's effect on your gear...especially those paper speaker cones!

If the insurance situation and security are fine, and you have some sort of heater for the winter...then go for it!

:)

Ricesnaps
09-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I think there are 3 things to consider when storing gear in your garage:

1) Insurance implications

2) Security...maybe not as good as if the gear's in the house.

3) Damp...and it's effect on your gear...especially those paper speaker cones!

If the insurance situation and security are fine, and you have some sort of heater for the winter...then go for it!

:)

Although it's always sensible to check with your insurance company, how on earth can your gear me MORE secure? Locked inside an alarmed and imobilised can which is locked inside an alarmed garage which is additionally secured with massive "come and have a go if you think you're ghard enough" padlocks.

I think I'd much prefer that over my house!

Vectis
09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
It's not a heater you need it's a dehumidifier ;)

rob1963
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Although it's always sensible to check with your insurance company, how on earth can your gear me MORE secure? Locked inside an alarmed and imobilised can which is locked inside an alarmed garage which is additionally secured with massive "come and have a go if you think you're ghard enough" padlocks.

I think I'd much prefer that over my house!

Ricesnaps,

The reason I said security MAY be not as good as if the gear is in the house is because not all vehicles are alarmed, not all garages are alarmed, not all vehicles have immobilisers and some garages are not attached to the house...but are in a block nearby.

I'm not so sure about having additional massive padlocks on a garage either...as it simply advertises the fact that there's something inside worth stealing!

rob1963
09-06-2007, 12:08 PM
It's not a heater you need it's a dehumidifier ;)

That's the one, Vectis! :)

Ricesnaps
09-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Ricesnaps,

The reason I said security MAY be not as good as if the gear is in the house is because not all vehicles are alarmed, not all garages are alarmed, not all vehicles have immobilisers and some garages are not attached to the house...but are in a block nearby.

I'm not so sure about having additional massive padlocks on a garage either...as it simply advertises the fact that there's something inside worth stealing!

I'd like to see anyone get through my padlocks!

Also can't bothered with all that empty the van, load the van, stack it in ther house, load it in the van, empty the van, stack the gear in the house rubbish. Reverse it in, shut the door, lock and all ready for next week!

scoopd
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.All useful so far

Shakermaker Promotions
09-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Not for me I'm afraid. I unload everything and put it away. I look at it in the week, clean it up so it doesn't get dusty and then re-load again when I need to. I have a lock up on my property which is out of view from anyone, add to that the fact that I live in a pretty quiet area which is mainly resident to OAP's and I think I am pretty safe. The only thing that worries me is that it gets very hot in the summer and very cold in there in the winter so I need to sort something out in the near future.

I also use my van in the week sometimes to do deliveries for people and other stuff (all through the books and invoiced) so I want an empty van.

Tony Scott
09-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I am a Boiler/Heating Technician by trade and therefor use my van Monday to Friday.

I keep my Bass Horns, Speakers, Cables, Truss & Stands in the van at all times. Just take the sensitive stuff like PC's, Mixer/CD Rack, Amp Racks & Lights out and store these in the heated garage (well I am a heating engineer) together with the big PA system.

Been doing this for 25 years and never had a problem with either security, failure or damage.

Steve 'B'
10-06-2007, 03:24 PM
in my case I dont have any power so is there any good advice for stopping the damp or cold getting to grips with my gear??

dj-jaym
10-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd like to see anyone get through my padlocks!

Also can't bothered with all that empty the van, load the van, stack it in ther house, load it in the van, empty the van, stack the gear in the house rubbish. Reverse it in, shut the door, lock and all ready for next week!

Can i come and try rice ? am sure a grinder make easy work :)

Ricesnaps
10-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Can i come and try rice ? am sure a grinder make easy work :)

I would imagine you'd wake up the whole close though, so security probably still not a problem :)

Candybeatdiscos
10-06-2007, 06:02 PM
personally i wouldn't keep the gear ina van in a garage - (my own opiopnion only) i much prefer having a secure unit, that i am prepared to pay a rent on as i can have an office there as well, although i don't yet have one, i am looking at this and will do this asap.

At the moment i unload the van after every friday gig, and reload it on the saturday for the sat gig, i do not have a garage although i have a drive, which I park the van in with the car directly behind it, but i still would not take the chance - too many untrustworthy people are going about as it is

Steve 'B'
10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Rice, Please dont take this personally, but I assure you the 'John Boy' and co if they wanted to get in to the garage would do so and take your stuff. I had a friend who had a double skinned garage door. I would have put my life savings that no one would get in. Not sure how they done it, but they lifted the bottom corner from the floor and bend the door upwards. They wont stop at just locks. If only everyone could be trusted eh!!

Ricesnaps
11-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Rice, Please dont take this personally, but I assure you the 'John Boy' and co if they wanted to get in to the garage would do so and take your stuff. I had a friend who had a double skinned garage door. I would have put my life savings that no one would get in. Not sure how they done it, but they lifted the bottom corner from the floor and bend the door upwards. They wont stop at just locks. If only everyone could be trusted eh!!

And exactly the same's true of leaving the gear in your house. I guess it's personal choice, but I'll stick to my own guns I think.