PDA

View Full Version : New forum?

rob1963
13-06-2007, 04:14 PM
As well as being DJs, some of us are also childrens entertainers...and there's a forum for childrens entertainers.

Some of us do karaoke, and there's a forum for this as well.

I know from looking at websites that a number of us also run quiz nights, so how about a new forum for quiz nights?

Just an idea, but if people think it's :Rob James: that's fine!

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-06-2007, 04:17 PM
As well as being DJs, some of us are also childrens entertainers...and there's a forum for childrens entertainers.

Some of us do karaoke, and there's a forum for this as well.

I know from looking at websites that a number of us also run quiz nights, so how about a new forum for quiz nights?

Just an idea, but if people think it's :Rob James: that's fine!

:D

I don't think there would be much input Rob - there's not a lot in the children's entertainers forum.

I'd be interested to know who writes their own quizzes, rather than just use a book or a bought service though. (after spending 5 hours preparing one for tonight....)

Vectis
13-06-2007, 05:46 PM
I do.

But then I only offer them to holiday hotels where the clientele rotates on a weekly basis.

So I don't change them too often ;)

rob1963
14-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't think there would be much input Rob - there's not a lot in the children's entertainers forum.

No problem, Darren...it was just an idea.

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 11:23 AM
No problem, Darren...it was just an idea.

If you want to talk about ideas etc though Rob, just stick it in another forum. I'd be interested in what you'd have to say.

rob1963
14-06-2007, 01:25 PM
If you want to talk about ideas etc though Rob, just stick it in another forum. I'd be interested in what you'd have to say.

No problem.

I guess I could use the lounge.

Quiz nights are something I have a fair bit of experience in...if things carry on as they are, I'll be doing my 1,000th one early next year!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 03:28 PM
No problem.

I guess I could use the lounge.

Quiz nights are something I have a fair bit of experience in...if things carry on as they are, I'll be doing my 1,000th one early next year!

I'm not sure on numbers, but I've been doing them for around 15 years.

By the way, I did 'Play your cards right' last night for the first time and it went down a storm. I used 7 cards and the first contestant won the jackpot of over £80.

ian8limelight
14-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I'd be interested to know who writes their own quizzes, rather than just use a book or a bought service though. (after spending 5 hours preparing one for tonight....)

How did it go Darren ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 06:53 PM

How did it go Darren ?

Brilliantly. :D

It's a weekly quiz in a snooker club and the people are very friendly and the management and staff are really interested in getting it going and put real effort in selling the tickets for play your cards right.

It's very refreshing for me to go 'old school' with a lot of mic work, interaction with the audience and really rip into people! (They loved it BTW)

Great fun and I had a real buzz after I finished. :beer1:

rob1963
14-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Nice one, Darren!

Just one point I'd mention...

Before you start, let them mix up the cards & then cut them yourself before you deal them onto the board.

This shows the player & customers that YOU haven't rigged them by pre-setting the order, and also shows you that the PLAYER hasn't done anything dodgy.

Obviously with A4 sized cards it's not possible to shuffle them normally, so I find they tend to take some off the top & put them on the bottom, and take some off the bottom and put them on the top.

I hadn't noticed, but it was pointed out to me that sometimes the player "shuffling" the cards would glance at the bottom card, and if it was a very low card like a 2 or 3 or a very high card like a King or Ace, they would just take a few cards off the bottom of the pack & put them on the top. Therefore, when they had finished "shuffling" the cards, they could get a very good card into the pile that would be used in their game, which unfairly increased their chances of winning.

Also, make sure you deal the cards onto the platform carefully...so they can't be seen by anyone.

Just a couple of things to be aware of!

Last time I did play your cards right, the prize got up to nearly £500, and there was no way I'd want anyone to win that much by cheating!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Nice one, Darren!

Just one point I'd mention...

Before you start, let them mix up the cards & then cut them yourself before you deal them onto the board.

I did do that, but let them cut the cards.

Obviously with A4 sized cards it's not possible to shuffle them normally.

We managed to!

Yeah, some good points there Rob, but I had done a bit of research into it, so had most of it covered.

The idea is to build the jackpot up and encourage more people to attend and participate obviously, and it was typical that someone won in the first week!

rob1963
14-06-2007, 07:35 PM
I did do that, but let them cut the cards.
We managed to!
Yeah, some good points there Rob, but I had done a bit of research into it, so had most of it covered.
The idea is to build the jackpot up and encourage more people to attend and participate obviously, and it was typical that someone won in the first week!

That's typical it was won in the first week...mine was too!

It sounds like you've got everything covered. The only other thing I'd suggest (which you may do anyway) is to take out some of the money you take & keep it separate...then use THIS fund to kick off the next jackpot when it's won...rather than having to start again with nothing.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 07:48 PM
That's typical it was won in the first week...mine was too!

It sounds like you've got everything covered. The only other thing I'd suggest (which you may do anyway) is to take out some of the money you take & keep it separate...then use THIS fund to kick off the next jackpot when it's won...rather than having to start again with nothing.

Good idea, we do that with the quiz jackpot - to be honest we gave it all away for the first week, but will start doing that from now on for the cards. Hopefully no-one will win for a few weeks now!

rob1963
14-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Hopefully no-one will win for a few weeks now!

I don't want to tempt fate, but I think it's unlikely!

After the first week, mine went for a couple of month before it was won again...so you should have a chance to build up the prize a bit!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 08:32 PM
How many cards do you use Rob?

Marc J
14-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Rob uses 6 packs of cards, that's why his prizes rollover to £500!

"Nothing for 8 Queens in a row, not in this game!" :D

rob1963
14-06-2007, 08:47 PM
How many cards do you use Rob?

Darren,

I haven't done it for about a year now, but I used 8 cards (2 rows of 4).

I didn't allow them to change any of the cards, and from memory the win rate using that scenario is about 1 in 25, or 4%.

That might not sound like much, but that was what I wanted, as I did it once after my Thusday quiz & twice at the same place on a Sunday...so on average it got won once every couple of months, which was ideal for me.

Obviously you can increase or decrease the win rate (depending on what you want) based on how many cards they can change, and how many you use in the first place...but I'd use an even number such as 6 or 8, so you can have 2 equal rows on the platform, which looks neater.

Jiggles
14-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Can one of yous send me over some of the files you used for the cards? I my included this as a party game a children's party but with toys as prizes!

rob1963
14-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Can one of yous send me over some of the files you used for the cards? I my included this as a party game a children's party but with toys as prizes!

Callum,

I'm not sure how appropriate it would be for children, depending on their age, of course.

I didn't have any files...I just googled "mammoth playing cards" and got them from an online company for about £30 or £35.

There are many different sizes available, so make sure you get the (virtually) A4 sized ones.

Jiggles
14-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Callum,

I'm not sure how appropriate it would be for children, depending on their age, of course.

I didn't have any files...I just googled "mammoth playing cards" and got them from an online company for about £30 or £35.

There are many different sizes available, so make sure you get the (virtually) A4 sized ones.

Well childerns party in meaning ie 12 - 18 year olds :D:D:D

Hmm Im going to have to get drawing then :( Yes im a cheap skate well im spent out on Mics and a new PC!!!! :D

Marc J
14-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Callum, click here (http://david.bellot.free.fr/svg-cards/files/All_SVG-cards.pdf)!

It's a PDF but they are all individually drawn, if you import it into a vector graphics package (I took it into CorelDRAW) it's very easily editable. Stick your logo on the back, print on A4, laminate and hey presto, a good set of custom cards :)

Jiggles
14-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Callum, click here (http://david.bellot.free.fr/svg-cards/files/All_SVG-cards.pdf)!

It's a PDF but they are all individually drawn, if you import it into a vector graphics package (I took it into CorelDRAW) it's very easily editable. Stick your logo on the back, print on A4, laminate and hey presto, a good set of custom cards :)

Good find Marc!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Darren,

I haven't done it for about a year now, but I used 8 cards (2 rows of 4).

I didn't allow them to change any of the cards, and from memory the win rate using that scenario is about 1 in 25, or 4%.

That might not sound like much, but that was what I wanted, as I did it once after my Thusday quiz & twice at the same place on a Sunday...so on average it got won once every couple of months, which was ideal for me.

Obviously you can increase or decrease the win rate (depending on what you want) based on how many cards they can change, and how many you use in the first place...but I'd use an even number such as 6 or 8, so you can have 2 equal rows on the platform, which looks neater.

I've got 3 shelves on my board, so can use 9 cards if necessary, but we thought that might be too difficult, so used 7....(how wrong we were!:o )

£30? WOW! I only paid about £15 for mine. :cool: :D

rob1963
14-06-2007, 10:15 PM
I've got 3 shelves on my board, so can use 9 cards if necessary, but we thought that might be too difficult, so used 7....(how wrong we were!:o )

£30? WOW! I only paid about £15 for mine. :cool: :D

That was a good deal...I checked several companies, and they were all charging about £30.

There was one which was cheaper, but they were out of stock...typical!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I got them on Ebay and had to resort to threatening the bloke with negative feedback 'cos he didn't answer my emails and didn't post them when he said they would be posted.