PDA

View Full Version : Wedding music requests

Ricesnaps
18-06-2007, 09:27 PM
This year, I've had a couple of wedding clients who have asked their guests to send them requests for music before the big day so they can then pass these on to me. I had another booking today where the groom suggested the same thing.

Now I think this is a great idea, but it got me thinking.

What do you guys think about producing "guest request" forms to give to the couple to send out with there invites? Great chance to pop your own logo and contact details on so they all know who you are. Was thinking maybe the postcards from Vistaprint?

No what if I put my own address on the back with a space of a stamp so they can send them directly back to me?

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't think it's a good idea full stop.

You'll get lists full of their favourite songs, rather than songs that will get people up and dancing.

This happened to me a few years ago when I was working through an agent - at least half of it was totally unplayable. Some great tunes on there, but a lot of 'listening' music rather than get people on the dance floor tunes.

CRAZY K
18-06-2007, 10:05 PM
This year, I've had a couple of wedding clients who have asked their guests to send them requests for music before the big day so they can then pass these on to me. I had another booking today where the groom suggested the same thing.

What do you guys think about producing "guest request" forms to give to the couple to send out with there invites? Great chance to pop your own logo and contact details on so they all know who you are. Was thinking maybe the postcards from Vistaprint?

No what if I put my own address on the back with a space of a stamp so they can send them directly back to me?

As you know Matt this is how I work at the few Weddings that I do.

The only thing that occurs to me is that if you get too many requests that are in your opinion likely to cause floor clearance is there a danger of people coming up to you and saying wheres my request for Toad by Cream:eek:

Dont you think probably the list you would normally get has probably been compiled with parents and friends in mind?

Its all very well to give people choice but basically no one wants a Wedding Reception where theres not much audience involvement but a lot of requests for obscure music no one dances to. ( Generally speaking )

It could end up like a Youth Club booking:eek: Everything from one extreme to another and no one dancing.

So here I am going against my own strategy but I think generally I would go down the route of some good previous suggestions which I recall were---

1. Print out a list of the B and G requests and keep it with you to show punters asking for requests. ( I do this)

2. If you feel its a good idea put a copy on every table in the room and invite requests from it, with your business card etc. ( I dont do this)

Anyway I dont have to worry Saturday--I will be in Flashing Dragonfly Juke Box mode--

I have been given--first two songs--last five songs in descending order

Three Disco slots --First, second and third sessions with tracks selected for each session inter mingled with Barn Dancing.

Must admit the music selected is brilliant--mainly 70s and 80s Disco-and I wont have to think = doh!!!!!!!!!

Its a good job I didnt pitch for this booking on the basis I could "read the floor" :D :D :D

Stand by to expect more of this approach I think. ( i.e. clients selections )

Have you considered putting your playlist on your website( like me) so like the modern Wedding Gift list you go to xyz website---just done that for a Wedding im going to--instead the bride and friends go to your site--even better advertising!!!!! to choose music and e mail you final choice--this is what I do now.

Dont waste time with paper forms--yeah I know marketing ploy--forget it--the world and his wife are on the net--

If people really rate your show they will get in contact anyway on the night or afterwards:D

regards

CRAZY K

Flex
18-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Already have guest requests forms (from Vistaprint funnily enough) They are post-it notes with the logo and a bit of copy inviting the guests to jot down their request and hand it to the DJ. Usually stick 5 down every table before I start. They are post-its because I can then organise them easily enough on a clip board. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont. I really should get some cheap pens to put on the table though.

DMX Will
18-06-2007, 10:23 PM
If you're going to do this, and in my opinion, you're best way of doing it is online. You'd simply need some way of authenticating the guests, perhaps they select the date hit OK, next screen asks them a question "what is the name of the bride?" - "who is the birthday party for?" etc, they then fill in the question.

System says:
IF answer = correct forward them to a page which gives them two songs to request (any more than that is silly) - you'd also want a disclaimer that not every song will be played, implying that most won't. They hit send requests...you get an email or whatever. Job done. You store their IP address, and incorporate a system that won't let them add any more requests.

IF answer = wrong. Sorry you mucked it up...go away! or try again!

You could also easily impliment a system to list the requested songs by guests in your own little administration area.

Time to make this system? Couple of hours.

CRAZY K
18-06-2007, 10:31 PM
If you're going to do this, and in my opinion, you're best way of doing it is online. You'd simply need some way of authenticating the guests, perhaps they select the date hit OK, next screen asks them a question "what is the name of the bride?" - "who is the birthday party for?" etc, they then fill in the question.

System says:
IF answer = correct forward them to a page which gives them two songs to request (any more than that is silly) - you'd also want a disclaimer that not every song will be played, implying that most won't. They hit send requests...you get an email or whatever. Job done. You store their IP address, and incorporate a system that won't let them add any more requests.

You could also easily impliment a system to list the requested songs by guests in your own little administration area.

I agree do it online--but I query whether inviting every guest to get involved is going to cause more problems than you can imagine--its all very well saying requests may not be played but isnt that a bit self defeating--people may think--I wont bother then ???

Then you get moaned at during the Wedding ?

See my comments POST 3 re-Youth Club Disco:D

CRAZY K

BeerFunk
18-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't think it's a good idea full stop.

You'll get lists full of their favourite songs, rather than songs that will get people up and dancing.

This happened to me a few years ago when I was working through an agent - at least half of it was totally unplayable. Some great tunes on there, but a lot of 'listening' music rather than get people on the dance floor tunes.
Bang on.

Requests are either going to be tunes to dance to, or tunes to listen to, and seldom do the two meet :rolleyes:

System says:

You've had way too much caffeine!! :p

Shaun
18-06-2007, 10:38 PM

System says:

I like the concept, would you mind too much if I used the idea as inspiration?. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2007, 10:54 PM
If you're going to do this, and in my opinion, you're best way of doing it is online.

Do you really think people would be that bothered?

Some people don't even want to be at the wedding, let alone choose music to be played!

Marc J
18-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I like the concept, would you mind too much if I used the idea as inspiration?. :)

Oh-Oh! I smell an email coming my way :p

Shaun, there's no room left in your navigation!

Shaun
18-06-2007, 10:57 PM

Some people don't even want to be at the wedding, let alone choose music to be played!

Maybe not specifically for requests, but I can think of some uses for his concept.

Edit: Oops, I thought that was directed to me.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Maybe not for requests, but I can think of some uses for his concept.

Such as? :confused:

Shaun
18-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Shaun, there's no room left in your navigation!

I know, but there's other options available. :P

p.s: You have mail..lol.

DMX Will
18-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Take all the inspiration you like....as long as you share what your inspiration is! - I might get even more inspiration from that! It's not as if we're on each others "disco territory"

No. Although for someone who can knock it up in a matter of hours, it's worth a shot for the bigger functions, to at least try it. If you're going to pay through the teeth for it, I'd say it wasn't worth the risk.

Shaun
18-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Such as? :confused:

My client area is pretty much 'Client only' at the moment. Guest access (post-event) to limited parts of the client area would be great for them viewing the online gallery of photos I take at the event...plus a few more ideas I have rolling around my head. :)

Take all the inspiration you like....as long as you share what your inspiration is! - I might get even more inspiration from that! It's not as if we're on each others "disco territory"

Absolutely. :)

DMX Will
18-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Absolutely. :)

Consider it a deal *virtual handshake*

Shaun
18-06-2007, 11:09 PM
I can hear the thoughts in Marc's head now....

"OH NO!!!, here we go again"

colinm345
18-06-2007, 11:10 PM

We had that once with a customer and it worked a treat

Marc J
18-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I can hear the thoughts in Marc's head now....

"OH NO!!!, here we go again"
OH NO!!!, here we go again!

rob1963
19-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm completely with Darren on this one.

When you ask wedding guests to request a song beforehand, they will usually come up with a song they LIKE.....rather than a song they like which is ALSO a party song that will get everyone dancing.

As already stated, you will end up with a big list of stuff, loads of which is unplayable. If you DO play it, you'll clear the dance floor & people will think you're toilet, and if you DON'T play it, you'll get people coming up & moaning that you haven't played their request...so it's a no win situation.

As for having to wait for each guest to log into your site & key in their request, I really don't think they can be bothered.

I'm not sure what's worse...waiting for 100 guests to log into your website & leave a request, or having to wait for 100 individual "request" postcards to arrive on your doormat!

What a nightmare...No thank you to both options!

(Admin: Please note this is the first time I've disagreed with Ricesnaps in 4 days, so don't start moaning at me again!)

Shaun
19-06-2007, 12:19 AM
(Admin: Please note this is the first time I've disagreed with Ricesnaps in 4 days, so don't start moaning at me again!)

Disagreeing is fine, constant bickering wasn't. ;)

rob1963
19-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Disagreeing is fine, constant bickering wasn't. ;)

Phew!

:p

Flex
19-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Oh, I really should read threads more thoroughly.

Certainly don't like the idea of canvasing people before hand. I always try and very politely steer people from playlisting either by themselves or by committee. Even if the client tells me that every guest is a mate and they are absolutely all into the same thing, I will suggest that it might be best to leave a little room for reacting. The idea of canvassing future guests either by web or by forms sent with invites is a layer of admin which I doubt would reap any real benefits. As Rob says I pretty sure its a bit of hassle for folk to log onto a website and post a request for a song to be played at a function.

I suppose its got merit as a gimmick, in that if you don't get much of a take up but it still portrays the company in a good light. However anytime I've played at a function where a) guests were asked to provide a request each the reaction was less than impressive b) the client wants the whole evening playlisted, Ive ended getting my ear bent guaranteed.

My view is always advise the customer with the benefit of your experience and then support their decision, what ever that might be. If in the end they want to playlist the whole night or ask everyone what they think, then so be it. I certainly wouldn't do it as a matter of policy, I just think its asking for trouble and anyway 90% of clients say that they are happy to leave it to the DJ. Really, I thought that was what we were for anyway.

Ricesnaps
19-06-2007, 04:57 AM
We had that once with a customer and it worked a treat

How interesting!

One out of all the replies that has actually tried this and seen the benefit! Sorry Shaun, I guess you also come down on the "might give it a go" camp!

Before I get accused of not listening and taking notice, I guiess I need to point something out. The concept of guests making requests prior to the event and the concept and opinions on this was not the purpose of this thread. It's happened a couple of times this year (albeit via the bride and groom, but happened all the same). As Colin points out (and please note, as far as I can see, Colin is the only person who has tried this method), it DOES work very well. To be fair, sorting out the can play from the can't play is fine and hasn't caused me any headaches at all yet!

The research with brides is continuing to fall into the "our night, our choice" bracket. This goes hand in hand with the "we want our guests to dance" comments. I think it's worth noting that maybe 2 years ago, a lot of us were horrified with the thought of long playlist style requests. But a lot of us embrased the wedding market and moved with the times. Unfortunately, like it or not, this may be the next step in that particular road - I have just started using this concept in my sales pitch and to say it's going down a storm would be an understatement.

So please don't think I'm not listening, but the "guest request" is not really the issue, the issue is actually how to get them! I like the on-line idea (Marc, another one to add to the list when you work out a price for me!), but still considering the "post cards" idea!

Corabar Steve
19-06-2007, 08:24 AM
We had this situation at one of our gigs on Saturday with a slight difference, the B&G asked their guests to give their top 3 favourite party tracks.

Having seen what came back I would say at least 25% was still unusable (at a mainstream party anyway, I suppose it depends on your idea of a good party) A fair percentage of it was duplicates (we were supplied with a photocopy of the slips), many just put anything by..... & some tried to fit in 4 or 5 as opposed to 3 (why not just ask the DJ on the night?).

I can see it working to an extent (as long as it was done like the above ie top 3 tracks & with the proviso that there was no guarantee that all the tracks would be played, so you could cherry pick the best / most appropriate tracks), I wouldn't want to do it too often myself.

I don't know how well this aspect of the gig went (it wasn't my gig) but the gig itself went well.

Ricesnaps
19-06-2007, 08:38 AM
We had this situation at one of our gigs on Saturday with a slight difference, the B&G asked their guests to give their top 3 favourite party tracks.

Having seen what came back I would say at least 25% was still unusable (at a mainstream party anyway, I suppose it depends on your idea of a good party) A fair percentage of it was duplicates (we were supplied with a photocopy of the slips), many just put anything by..... & some tried to fit in 4 or 5 as opposed to 3 (why not just ask the DJ on the night?).

I can see it working to an extent (as long as it was done like the above ie top 3 tracks & with the proviso that there was no guarantee that all the tracks would be played, so you could cherry pick the best / most appropriate tracks), I wouldn't want to do it too often myself.

I don't know how well this aspect of the gig went (it wasn't my gig) but the gig itself went well.

See, I'm not the only one!

This really boils down to the current wedding market concepts of the bride and groom getting what they want when they want it.

Whether you believe it's going to work or you like the idea, I think theis is just the next step in the direction wedding DJing is heading. As Steve says, it's quite easy to cherry pick what you want from the list, you may also be able to use this information at your pre-client appointment as a starting point for the evening. But more improtantly, whatever you actually do with the info, it's the perceved benefits that it gives which offer the value to the client I think.

That sai, I'm still curious to know the best way of working the requests - very much thinking pre-printed cards supplied to bride and groom, just not sure if they should come back to me directly or not

CRAZY K
19-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Whether you believe it's going to work or you like the idea, I think theis is just the next step in the direction wedding DJing is heading. As Steve says, it's quite easy to cherry pick what you want from the list, you may also be able to use this information at your pre-client appointment as a starting point for the evening. But more improtantly, whatever you actually do with the info, it's the perceved benefits that it gives which offer the value to the client I think
============================

Glad to see your reacting to market forces here--we had this conversation a couple of years ago as you know.

Its the reason my Website talks about " Your Choice " Disco :D because ultimately thats what it is.

Id be lying if I said EVERY customer gives me a massive list to play--but most do and for those who say well heres 10 tracks we definitely want and you play what you think is best--at least they feel they have had the OPTION given to them.

I think people are still concerned the DJ may not play their music although things are changing especially with Wedding Planners insisiting on DJs with playlists :eek:

As for sending out cards im not sure--but theres only one way to find out!!!!!!

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
19-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Whether you believe it's going to work or you like the idea, I think theis is just the next step in the direction wedding DJing is heading. As Steve says, it's quite easy to cherry pick what you want from the list, you may also be able to use this information at your pre-client appointment as a starting point for the evening. But more improtantly, whatever you actually do with the info, it's the perceved benefits that it gives which offer the value to the client I think
============================

Glad to see your reacting to market forces here--we had this conversation a couple of yeras ago as you know.

Its the reason my Website talks about " Your Choice " Disco :D because ultimately thats what it is.

Id be lying if I said EVERY customer gives me a massive list to play--but most do and for those who say well heres 10 tracks we definitely want and you play what you think is best--at least they feel they have had the OPTION given to them.

I think people are still concerned the DJ may not play their music although things are changing especially with Wedding Planners insisiting on DJs with playlists :eek:

CRAZY K

As you well know Alan, it's taken me a little while to get my head around this and swallow my "DJ knows best" pride, but in the end, if you want the premium wedding market work (and based here on the lovely heritage coast there is plenty of it), then it's what the customer want all the way!

Please don't think I'm blinkered or arogant (have I spelt that right, sure it's not!), but what Alan is saying is fact, not simply opinion

TonyB
19-06-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't think this is a new concept. About 6 months ago I read about the idea of asking guests to suggest three songs that they like and it was suggested by other DJ's who were trying to steer brides to be away from having set playlists (I'm sure it was discussed on a wedding forum somewhere).

I can't see that it is a bad idea because from the feedback you get will give you a good idea of what type of music the guests like and the more prepared you are before the event the better. The previous idea I read about was that B & G asked on the invite for the suggestions when the invitees returned the RSVP. At least that would give the B & G to be the option of cherry picking the tracks they want and you could announce on the night that the B & G had prepared a list based on the replies which gets you off the hook for not playing something someone had requested.

The only down side I can see of producing a card to be returned directly is the additional cost of having the cards printed and the cost of postage. If you did go down the route of trying it then it might be an idea to set up a freepost account with Royal Mail so you only pay for the cards that are returned. If you get 70 replies, the postage plus printing costs is going to be around £20 which is roughly 10% of the charge for the disco. From a cost point of view, it may be better to get the card returned to the bride to be with the RSVP. Unless you made an additional charge for the service?

As a business promotion idea, its unlikely that anyone would keep a copy of the card to retain your details for future bookings unless you you had a tear off bit for them to keep and they could keep a part of the card. I suppose there is a good possibility that you will be targeting some others of the same age that will have weddings coming up.

Having an online option is an idea but I wonder how many invitees would bother to use it.

Personally I think it is a good idea. Any feedback that you can get from guests is like market research and listening to others can help improve what you do. At the end of the day it would be up to the B & G if it was done but the offer of additional services is what can set one business apart from another.

Shaun
19-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think this is a new concept. About 6 months ago I read about the idea of asking guests to suggest three songs that they like and it was suggested by other DJ's who were trying to steer brides to be away from having set playlists (I'm sure it was discussed on a wedding forum somewhere).

This was discussed here on the forum at length a while back. Although I welcome requests, I don't do set playlists. I often have Brides ask if I'll play from a strict playlist and my answer is always no!. I don't mind using the list as a guide, but I cannot give my best perfomance when all they want is a human jukebox.

Dragonfly
19-06-2007, 10:18 AM
also you run the risk of 200 requests for songs/tracks that people "like" not necessarily want to party to....... i like moonlight sonata but would have the sense not to put it on a disco request form .... from experience not everyone has the same forsight lol.

also love "the show must go on" - queen

and

"everybody hurts" - R.E.M

but im the first to admit both go home and put your head in the toaster tracks and again wouldnt like them played at a party.

Dragonfly
19-06-2007, 10:21 AM
This was discussed here on the forum at length a while back. Although I welcome requests, I don't do set playlists. I often have Brides ask if I'll play from a strict playlist and my answer is always no!. I don't mind using the list as a guide, but I cannot give my best perfomance when all they want is a human jukebox.

Shaun thats "Human FLASHING juke box" or HFJB. :D

colinm345
19-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Aha found it
This worked very well indeed with a full floor all night apart from one song which was Born To Run
This Event was passed to me by Alan of Crazy K (thanks once again Alan)

I would like to draw attention in particular to the following-

Dance tunes
Please note we have asked our guests for their favourite tunes in advance (the ones “guaranteed to get them on the dance floor”!) so please play as many of the following as possible. This is based on a total of 2 hours of dance music, we have asterisked the 20 – 30 songs which we consider essential.

Andy & Katy’s Wedding
23 September, Highbury Hall

Music timetable – evening reception

5.30pm – 7.00pm Set-up. NB Disco etc will be in a different room to where the dinner takes place so set-up can be done during dinner. To be completed before dinner finishes.

7.15pm (approx) Dinner finishes
Background music while people chill out after dinner, wait for evening guests etc

8.30pm First dance

8.35pm – 9.00pm Dance tunes

9.00pm – 10.30pm Barn dancing

10.30pm – midnight Dance tunes, finishing with the last dance

Midnight Guests leave

Background music
Mix of classic sing-along tunes, and newer ballads. Along the lines of:

Elvis, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Rolling Stones, Whitney Houston, Eagles, Queen, Eric Clapton, Walker Brothers, Roy Orbison etc through to John Legend, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Oasis, Robbie Williams, current chart etc

First Dance
Can’t Take my Eyes Off You – Andy Williams.
NB Please play the full version and encourage guests to join the bride and groom after the more upbeat part of the song has begun.

Dance tunes
Please note we have asked our guests for their favourite tunes in advance (the ones “guaranteed to get them on the dance floor”!) so please play as many of the following as possible. This is based on a total of 2 hours of dance music, we have asterisked the 20 – 30 songs which we consider essential.

Barn Dance
We have a caller for this who will be using the same equipment as agreed with Alan (Crazy K). Feel free to help yourself to refreshments in the main room whilst this is going on.

Last Dance
We are unsure of how to end the evening and are not keen on the usual New York, New York, so would be very grateful for any suggestions of songs good to finish the evening with!!

Song Artist
**Born to Run Bruce Springsteen
**Build me up Buttercup The Foundations (NB Also the groom’s favourite!)
**Grease Megamix John Travolta, Olivia Newton John
**Living on a Prayer Bon Jovi
**Love Really Hurts Without You Billy Ocean
**Song 2 Blur
**Summer of 69 Bryan Adams
**Wake me up before you go go Wham
*500 Miles The Proclaimers
*Blame it on the Boogie The Jacksons
*Dance the Night Away The Mavericks
*Daydream Believer The Monkees
*Disco Inferno Tina Turner
*I Bet you look good on the Dance Floor Arctic Monkeys
*In the Mood for Dancing The Nolans
*Reach S Club 7
*Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd
American Pie Don McLean
Atomic Blondie
Band of Gold Freda Payne
Boogie Wonderland Earth, Wind and Fire
Boys are Back in Town Thin Lizzie
Build Me Up, Buttercup Foundations
Celebration Kool and the Gang
Dancing in the Dark Bruce Springsteen
Dancing in the Moonlight Toploader
Dancing Queen Abba
Delilah Tom Jones
First Time Robin Beck
Fools Gold Stone Roses
Girls and Boys Blur
Hi Ho Silver Lining Jeff Beck
Hot Stuff Donna Summer
I believe in a Thing Called Love The Darkness
I think we’re alone now Tiffany
Jimmy Mack Martha and Vandellas
Johnny Be Good ???
Oh What a Night ???
Rescue Me Fontella Bass
Rock Around the Clock Bill Haley & Comets
Stayin’ Alive The Bee Gees
Surfin USA The Beach Boys
Sweet Child of Mine Guns and Roses
Tainted Love Soft Cell
Take on Me A-ha
Three Times a Lady Commodores
Twist & Shout The Beatles
Two Hearts Phil Collins
Uptown Girl Billy Joel
You’re the First , my Last, my Everything Barry White
Young Hearts Run Free Kym Mazelle
Your Love Keeps Lifting me (Higher) Jackie Wilson

PropellerHeadCase
19-06-2007, 10:36 AM
OK, I've had a couple of couples do this and it can work a treat.

When it comes to doing it in the context of a wedding the bride and groom MUST be involved in the collation of the list. Which is to say the requests come back with the RSVP (if they don't they aren't counted). The bride and groom collate the list themselves, removing songs that they don't personally like (it's their wedding after all), and pass the list to you, preferably with the names of the requesters next to the songs, along with their own requests, if any.

So long as the slip that goes to the guests tells them how it works, and how to pick the right sort of songs to make muster... no problem.

I think using your own web-site for it is a horrible idea. The RSVP is a finite one-time-only thing and an excellent mechanism for minimising the requests and keeping them time-bound.

However, using the same process, through your website, for corporates, particularly staff Christmases, would work a treat. At any do where everyone's tastes should be treated somewhat equally it can work.

Ricesnaps
19-06-2007, 10:51 AM

When it comes to doing it in the context of a wedding the bride and groom MUST be involved in the collation of the list. Which is to say the requests come back with the RSVP (if they don't they aren't counted). The bride and groom collate the list themselves, removing songs that they don't personally like (it's their wedding after all), and pass the list to you, preferably with the names of the requesters next to the songs, along with their own requests, if any.

So long as the slip that goes to the guests tells them how it works, and how to pick the right sort of songs to make muster... no problem.

I think using your own web-site for it is a horrible idea. The RSVP is a finite one-time-only thing and an excellent mechanism for minimising the requests and keeping them time-bound.

However, using the same process, through your website, for corporates, particularly staff Christmases, would work a treat. At any do where everyone's tastes should be treated somewhat equally it can work.

Prop...

I was considering the "request cards" to be mass produced if I was going to offer to supply them (keep costs down), so the address bit in that situation would help if it was coming back to me!

Could you not achieve the same thing by offering a collate and discuss service? We'll do the hard work and send you the detail so you can confirm what you like and don't like? Best of bothe worlds?

rob1963
19-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Prop...

I was considering the "request cards" to be mass produced if I was going to offer to supply them (keep costs down), so the address bit in that situation would help if it was coming back to me!

Could you not achieve the same thing by offering a collate and discuss service? We'll do the hard work and send you the detail so you can confirm what you like and don't like? Best of bothe worlds?

Ricesnaps,

I think that's a brilliant idea.

colinm345
19-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I now suggest to potential clients that they ask around their family and friends for requests and they seem to like the idea:)

Ricesnaps
19-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Ricesnaps,

I think that's a brilliant idea.

Good grief.....

fancy charging your clients extra for the service?

rob1963
19-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Good grief.....

fancy charging your clients extra for the service?

I will if you think it's a good idea!

Ricesnaps
19-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I will if you think it's a good idea!

What's that smell???

Oh look it's a bunny in a pan of boiling water....:D

TonyB
19-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Give the clients the option to either do it themselves or charge for doing it for them. Reading through the wedding forums, some brides to be leave things to the last minute and get really stressed trying to get everything done as well as holding down a full time job so may be grateful for the additional service. Others are more organised and may prefer to do it themselves.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2007, 12:10 PM
One out of all the replies that has actually tried this and seen the benefit!

You didn't read my reply then? :rolleyes:

(and please note, as far as I can see, Colin is the only person who has tried this method), it DOES work very well.

Not for me it didn't.

rob1963
19-06-2007, 12:39 PM
What's that smell???

Oh look it's a bunny in a pan of boiling water....:D

:lol:

Ricesnaps
19-06-2007, 01:32 PM
You didn't read my reply then? :rolleyes:

Not for me it didn't.

Darren,

Was the self contradiction intented?

CRAZY K
19-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Aha found it
This worked very well indeed with a full floor all night apart from one song which was Born To Run
This Event was passed to me by Alan of Crazy K (thanks once again Alan)

I would like to draw attention in particular to the following-

Dance tunes

Andy & Katy’s Wedding
23 September, Highbury Hall

Music timetable – evening reception

5.30pm – 7.00pm Set-up. NB Disco etc will be in a different room to where the dinner takes place so set-up can be done during dinner. To be completed before dinner finishes.

7.15pm (approx) Dinner finishes
Background music while people chill out after dinner, wait for evening guests etc

8.30pm First dance

8.35pm – 9.00pm Dance tunes

9.00pm – 10.30pm Barn dancing

10.30pm – midnight Dance tunes, finishing with the last dance

Midnight Guests leave

Background music
Mix of classic sing-along tunes, and newer ballads. Along the lines of:

Elvis, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Rolling Stones, Whitney Houston, Eagles, Queen, Eric Clapton, Walker Brothers, Roy Orbison etc through to John Legend, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Oasis, Robbie Williams, current chart etc

First Dance
Can’t Take my Eyes Off You – Andy Williams.
NB Please play the full version and encourage guests to join the bride and groom after the more upbeat part of the song has begun.

Dance tunes

Barn Dance
We have a caller for this who will be using the same equipment as agreed with Alan (Crazy K). Feel free to help yourself to refreshments in the main room whilst this is going on.

Last Dance
We are unsure of how to end the evening and are not keen on the usual New York, New York, so would be very grateful for any suggestions of songs good to finish the evening with!!

Song Artist
**Born to Run Bruce Springsteen
**Build me up Buttercup The Foundations (NB Also the groom’s favourite!)
**Grease Megamix John Travolta, Olivia Newton John
**Living on a Prayer Bon Jovi
**Love Really Hurts Without You Billy Ocean
**Song 2 Blur
**Summer of 69 Bryan Adams
**Wake me up before you go go Wham
*500 Miles The Proclaimers
*Blame it on the Boogie The Jacksons
*Dance the Night Away The Mavericks
*Daydream Believer The Monkees
*Disco Inferno Tina Turner
*I Bet you look good on the Dance Floor Arctic Monkeys
*In the Mood for Dancing The Nolans
*Reach S Club 7
*Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd
American Pie Don McLean
Atomic Blondie
Band of Gold Freda Payne
Boogie Wonderland Earth, Wind and Fire
Boys are Back in Town Thin Lizzie
Build Me Up, Buttercup Foundations
Celebration Kool and the Gang
Dancing in the Dark Bruce Springsteen
Dancing in the Moonlight Toploader
Dancing Queen Abba
Delilah Tom Jones
First Time Robin Beck
Fools Gold Stone Roses
Girls and Boys Blur
Hi Ho Silver Lining Jeff Beck
Hot Stuff Donna Summer
I believe in a Thing Called Love The Darkness
I think we’re alone now Tiffany
Jimmy Mack Martha and Vandellas
Johnny Be Good ???
Oh What a Night ???
Rescue Me Fontella Bass
Rock Around the Clock Bill Haley & Comets
Stayin’ Alive The Bee Gees
Surfin USA The Beach Boys
Sweet Child of Mine Guns and Roses
Tainted Love Soft Cell
Take on Me A-ha
Three Times a Lady Commodores
Twist & Shout The Beatles
Two Hearts Phil Collins
Uptown Girl Billy Joel
You’re the First , my Last, my Everything Barry White
Young Hearts Run Free Kym Mazelle
Your Love Keeps Lifting me (Higher) Jackie Wilson

Crikey Colin, didnt realise it was that involved !

Still its better to have input than not I think!

Certainly some crackers there to choose from.

My gig Saturday is even more complicated!

I have a play list- split into three sections--early evening-mid evening and late evening with specific tracks named in each sector plus the last FIVE tracks in order to be played

5 Al Green lets stay together
4 Stevie Wonder Superstition
3 Club Tropicana Wham
2 Jacko Billie Jean
1 Barry White I am qualified to satisfy you ( I dont recall ever playing this one)

Not a sign of Sinatra, New York New York, Cant take my eyes off of you or anything resembling those anywhere--its just Disco Disco Disco ---

I cant find a slow one anywhere--Al Green would be the slowest.

And Im running a Barn Dance before the Disco:eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

I still think using your web site has it uses for track selections--and yes for say a Xmas Party invite staff to have a look--did that last year although I didnt get any response.

The reason was most of the "guests" were Asians who actually brought along their own music on a laptop which they stuck straight through my sound system--magic--everyone dancing:D

No idea what the tracks were:eek:

Again a demonstration of giving the customer choice.

CRAZY K

PropellerHeadCase
19-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Prop...

The thing is that people will, for the most part, respect the RSVP date, they won't however have the same care for another card they have to send somewhere else (but boy will they get shirty if their late request is ignored). Plus, if it seems to come from the bride and groom people will generally be better behaved with the process, if it obviously comes from the DJ people will think that either a) you're lazy or, b) you're incompetent and can't pick songs by yourself, even if you say it was the B&Gs idea. I think the can o' worms is bigger than the prize catch in this case.

The couples that I have dealt with that have done this have actually found looking at 'which requests come from where' to be half the fun of it. I also think that if the B&G are too disorganised to do this then it probably shouldn't be suggested and just go with straight requests from them and requests from the guests on the night.

Ricesnaps
24-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Time to update this thread with some thoughts and experiences from last night.

By the way, those who were a little worried about my professionalism following my stubourness regarding the recording of the speaches will be please to hear that my 8th wedding of the season may well have been the best so far - very very happy couple, extremely mad (and very dizzy I guess, she spun around for about 10 minutes solid at one piont!) bride and a great and packed dance floor all night. Oh and the speaches delivered as a .wav fine at the end of the night.

Anyway, unknown to me, the bride and groom had produced "DJ request" slips and left them on every table. I should point out that at no point had we discussed them doing this, only that I would obviously be happy to take requests. I was absolutely inundated with them! The problem? Well some great tunes I would certainly have played (and can next time as I now have a chance to get them), but I couldn't as I didn't have them!

Now if the guests had been asked to make requests BEFORE the day, I culd have made sure I DID have everything. This points more and more to my pre-wedding guest request idea!

But as an aside, I know a lot of you actually print the request slips to pop on tables. I have to say I always considered that to be way to tacky for a wedding, but is it?

rob1963
24-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I know a lot of you actually print the request slips to pop on tables. I have to say I always considered that to be way to tacky for a wedding, but is it?

I don't think it's particularly tacky, just unnecessary.

I don't use request slips, and never have.

I always ask for requests over the mic.

That way, people come up to actually talk to you...and you can tell them if you have their request & also let them know when you will play it (for those of them who ask). Also, if you DON'T have it or think it's inappropriate, you can suggest alternatives or ask what else they like.

Much more personal, and much better for the guests...rather than handing over a slip & not knowing when, or even IF you'll play their request.

On a recent thread, some members said they like to answer email queries by telephone because it's more personal...so why not also use the personal approach with the GUESTS at a wedding?

CRAZY K
24-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Time to update this thread with some thoughts and experiences from last night.

By the way, those who were a little worried about my professionalism following my stubourness regarding the recording of the speaches will be please to hear that my 8th wedding of the season may well have been the best so far - very very happy couple, extremely mad (and very dizzy I guess, she spun around for about 10 minutes solid at one piont!) bride and a great and packed dance floor all night. Oh and the speaches delivered as a .wav fine at the end of the night.

Anyway, unknown to me, the bride and groom had produced "DJ request" slips and left them on every table. I should point out that at no point had we discussed them doing this, only that I would obviously be happy to take requests. I was absolutely inundated with them! The problem? Well some great tunes I would certainly have played (and can next time as I now have a chance to get them), but I couldn't as I didn't have them!

Now if the guests had been asked to make requests BEFORE the day, I culd have made sure I DID have everything. This points more and more to my pre-wedding guest request idea!

But as an aside, I know a lot of you actually print the request slips to pop on tables. I have to say I always considered that to be way to tacky for a wedding, but is it?

Good stuff Matt, remember the house rules--

No track can be guaranteed to be played unless requested at least 14 days in advance.

Well thems MY rules anyway ---

Im gobsmacked you were asked for tracks you didnt have that were any good--bearing in mind the variety of work you do--is there THAT much good music out there---:eek:

Last night I worked on a VERY STRICT playlist, mainly Barry White, Michael Jackson, Night fever stuff---at one stage the best man asked for Metallica--

Nah said the bride and groom---we dont want that kinda stuff:D :D :D :D :D
yuk!

Love it---def keep working on the Your Choice Playlist Disco--I dont think one single track of mine bombed out last night---until I announced the buffet!

CRAZY K

rob1963
24-06-2007, 04:18 PM

I'm gobsmacked you were asked for tracks you didnt have that were any good--bearing in mind the variety of work you do

Ricesnaps,

I'm also interested to know what sort of tracks were being requested that you didn't have.

I only carry about 5,000 songs...but it's not often I'm asked for something I don't have.

Were the requests you didn't have fairly obscure?

:confused:

Ricesnaps
24-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Ricesnaps,

I'm also interested to know what sort of tracks were being requested that you didn't have.

I only carry about 5,000 songs...but it's not often I'm asked for something I don't have.

Were the requests you didn't have fairly obscure?

:confused:

I'm possibly also a little poorly organised at times. Still need to complete the upload of my music database, so the other side of the option is, yes I probably had the tracks but at times had difficulty finding them. MUST get my laptop fixed, finding MP3 tracks with the lappy was SO simple.

I guess my point really is about how I like to be organised. I'll grab the requests fronmt he van later and let you know some of them, but from memory and as way of an example, think I was asked for Bucks Fizz, land of make believe, but I only had Making your mind up, although I probably had the requested track, just never played it before and consiquently finding it was the issue.

Anyway, sidetracked. I just felt last night that had I had these requests prior to the gig I could have organised myself so much better and made sure I knew where it all was, or even made up a couple of CD's with all the tracks on - all in one place! That's generally what I do with client requests too, find the tracks they want (and download those I don't have), burn to a couple of CD's and then I know where everything is!

That said, the night was a great success and not once did ANYONE come up and ask why I hadn't played there request, or indeed request it again! There has to be a lesson in there somewhere!

CRAZY K
24-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm possibly also a little poorly organised at times. Still need to complete the upload of my music database, so the other side of the option is, yes I probably had the tracks but at times had difficulty finding them. MUST get my laptop fixed, finding MP3 tracks with the lappy was SO simple.

I guess my point really is about how I like to be organised. I'll grab the requests fronmt he van later and let you know some of them, but from memory and as way of an example, think I was asked for Bucks Fizz, land of make believe, but I only had Making your mind up, although I probably had the requested track, just never played it before and consiquently finding it was the issue.

Anyway, sidetracked. I just felt last night that had I had these requests prior to the gig I could have organised myself so much better and made sure I knew where it all was, or even made up a couple of CD's with all the tracks on - all in one place! That's generally what I do with client requests too, find the tracks they want (and download those I don't have), burn to a couple of CD's and then I know where everything is!

That said, the night was a great success and not once did ANYONE come up and ask why I hadn't played there request, or indeed request it again! There has to be a lesson in there somewhere!

IF I WAS A USB READER SALESMAN I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT XMAS HAD COME EARLY.:D

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
24-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't think it's particularly tacky, just unnecessary.

I don't use request slips, and never have.

I always ask for requests over the mic.

That way, people come up to actually talk to you...and you can tell them if you have their request & also let them know when you will play it (for those of them who ask). Also, if you DON'T have it or think it's inappropriate, you can suggest alternatives or ask what else they like.

Much more personal, and much better for the guests...rather than handing over a slip & not knowing when, or even IF you'll play their request.

On a recent thread, some members said they like to answer email queries by telephone because it's more personal...so why not also use the personal approach with the GUESTS at a wedding?

AGREE 100 PER CENT--makes it less like being down the Pub or a Yoof Club!

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
24-06-2007, 05:24 PM
IF I WAS A USB READER SALESMAN I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT XMAS HAD COME EARLY.:D

CRAZY K

Ah but I already have the technology, just needs mending.

Sorry but you haven't convinced me that a Cortex or Denon is actually going to offer me anything more than my laptop does (or did, or even will!)

Cj_The_Dj
24-06-2007, 05:30 PM
most of the time the dj knows best i hate it when i get a gig and the bride and groom tell you what to play and the gest hate it so they compline to you so you play songs you normaly would and every one usely gets up and nearly every one enjoys them selfs [even thought some times when this happens the bride and groom has a go at you for not liserning to them like]

Ricesnaps
24-06-2007, 05:33 PM
most of the time the dj knows best i hate it when i get a gig and the bride and groom tell you what to play and the gest hate it so they compline to you so you play songs you normaly would and every one usely gets up and nearly every one enjoys them selfs [even thought some times when this happens the bride and groom has a go at you for not liserning to them like]

Which to be fair is exactly why the current wedding market demands that you take couples requests before the night. Like it or not, that is exactly how the wedding DJ market now works!

It was just the sheer volume of Saturday's that threw me.

Still we had a fantastic night and no complaints!

Danno13
24-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm not convinced that the wedding market "demands" that at all. At least not in my experience. I'd say less than half of my clients give a list of tracks, the rest are happy to just let me judge things myself even though I do encourage as much input as they would like.

From the people who have given me lists, they're usually always obvious tracks you would have played anyway.. or they have alot of tracks that aren't really that popular and almost certainley aren't going to work - once i've explained my concerns over this, they're usually happy to let me judge things and don't want me to play a track if i feel its going to clear the dancefloor. I mean, isn't that our job?

Ricesnaps
25-06-2007, 05:45 AM
I'm not convinced that the wedding market "demands" that at all. At least not in my experience. I'd say less than half of my clients give a list of tracks, the rest are happy to just let me judge things myself even though I do encourage as much input as they would like.

From the people who have given me lists, they're usually always obvious tracks you would have played anyway.. or they have alot of tracks that aren't really that popular and almost certainley aren't going to work - once i've explained my concerns over this, they're usually happy to let me judge things and don't want me to play a track if i feel its going to clear the dancefloor. I mean, isn't that our job?

Absolutely, but like it or not, the wedding market IS recomending that couples "dictate" the music they want. This year, I have commonally had in the rgion of 150 - 200 tracks listed for me to use.

When it comes to marketing and picking up the bigger better paid work, it's mpt abpit expressing your concerns, it's about making sure the couple get exactly what they want.

Sounds as if you've been lucky so far - took me years to get my head around this, but when you do, there's lots of work out there!

Dragonfly
25-06-2007, 07:05 AM
a playlist of mine for july ...

jack johnson -

banana
pancakes
rodeo clowns
mud football
flake
better together

bob marley -

could you be loved

jamiroquai -

little l
lovefoolosophy
funk odyssey
cosmic girl
you give me something

rightious brothers -

youve lost that loving feeling

paul wella -

you do simething to me

kooks -

naive
oo la
peticoat

razorlight -

golden touch
america
in the morning

g. love -

2 birds

fratellis -

chelsea dagger
whistle for the choir

kaiser cheifs -

ruby
i predict a riot

fleetwood mac -

little lies
dreams
say you love me

zutons -

stacy
valerie
why won't you give me your love

david bowie -

china girl

mojo -

lady (here me tonight)

jean jaque smoothie -

2 people

zero 7 -

morning song
if i cant have you
passing by
when it falls
home

supergrass -

alright
moving
pumpin on your stereo
sun hits the sky

chili peppers -

desecration smile

next -

wifey

snoop dogg -

beautiful

plus anything from .....

aaliyah
amy winehouse
arctic monkeys
blink 182
blur
bob marley
corrine bailey rae
fleetwood mac
green day
gwen stefani
james blunt
james morrison
jose gonzalez
justin timberlake
kasabian
killers
kooks
madonna
nelly furtado
oasis
ocean colour scene
paolo nutini
shakira
snow patrol

Ricesnaps
25-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I think this is also about recognising the market and encouraging music choice. I have certainly seen an upturn in the standard of work since embracing this concept.

Seems a good old list there Dragon!

Danno13
25-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Absolutely, but like it or not, the wedding market IS recomending that couples "dictate" the music they want. This year, I have commonally had in the rgion of 150 - 200 tracks listed for me to use.

It might be recomended to them, but that doesn't mean they're going to do it. Most couples are intelligent enough to realise that they can pay a professional to play to the crowd and ensure a good night and don't have to provide an extensive playlist to make this happen.

When it comes to marketing and picking up the bigger better paid work, it's mpt abpit expressing your concerns, it's about making sure the couple get exactly what they want.

Well first of all, I'm perfectly happy with my marketing and the standard of work I get. I already encourage input on music. Most couples usually just give an idea of the styles of music they personally like and a handful of tracks, so i'm able to fit them in on the night.

The rest either give me obvious choices that I would have played anyway.. or just don't give me anything other than the first dance and leave the rest up to me. This says to me, that what couples want is a good DJ who shouldn't need a list to work from to ensure a good night.

Sounds as if you've been lucky so far - took me years to get my head around this, but when you do, there's lots of work out there!

I'm sure there is.. but my diary is full already. I don't really want gigs where I have to stick rigidly to a playlist, as I know i'm not going to enjoy them, chances are most of the guests won't either, B&G might be over the moon.. but who from that gig is going to book or recomend me?

Dragonfly
25-06-2007, 11:59 AM
its the age old marketing debate I did 4 months of a marketing degree and left uni as I decided its all about selling your soul to the devil ..... my whole family are in marketing and exceptionally well off from it ...... but ..... its not for me for example ............

i worked in a sports shop :

customer came in "hello ive got £20 and I want a par of trainers what can I get?"

marketing answer :

"well let me show you these at £19.99 exceptional value for money designed for xxx in mind and a really popular choice with many customers wh excersise for fun and more seriously"

Dragonflys response:

"for 20 quid mate you are going to get kak my advice come back when you have £40 and we will see what we can do for you that will last you at least more than one jog around the block"

good marketing is all about giving people exactly what they want from a service .......and heres the catch ......... be that good bad or indifferent.

A disco example true story:

last year i did a 18th birthday party got the forms back and the a4 list of requests were eric prydz , body rockers, killers etc all 18th modern floorfillers.

got to the gig and no word of a lie the birthday girl and 2 18 year old friends the rest of the other 50/60 guests were 40 plus aunties uncles grans etc.

started with the birthday girls choices (hands over ears jobs for most of the crowd) then threw caution to the wind and stuck on some motown tracks ....instantly full floor , except the birthday girl and her 2 friends.....

what happened next?????????

Danno I agree with you last statement and I personally would rather not take gigs im not going to enjoy as I think that rubs off on a crowd no matter how professional you are ...... rightly or wrongly I don't carry drum n bass stuff or Hard House ..... because 4-5 hours of that would just make every orifice i have bleed and i would hate it.

CRAZY K
25-06-2007, 01:32 PM
its the age old marketing debate I did 4 months of a marketing degree and left uni as I decided its all about selling your soul to the devil ..... my whole family are in marketing and exceptionally well off from it ...... but ..... its not for me for example ............

customer came in "hello ive got £20 and I want a par of trainers what can I get?"

marketing answer :

"well let me show you these at £19.99 exceptional value for money designed for xxx in mind and a really popular choice with many customers wh excersise for fun and more seriously"

Dragonflys response:

"for 20 quid mate you are going to get kak my advice come back when you have £40 and we will see what we can do for you that will last you at least more than one jog around the block"

good marketing is all about giving people exactly what they want from a service .......and heres the catch ......... be that good bad or indifferent.

A disco example true story:

last year i did a 18th birthday party got the forms back and the a4 list of requests were eric prydz , body rockers, killers etc all 18th modern floorfillers.

got to the gig and no word of a lie the birthday girl and 2 18 year old friends the rest of the other 50/60 guests were 40 plus aunties uncles grans etc.

started with the birthday girls choices (hands over ears jobs for most of the crowd) then threw caution to the wind and stuck on some motown tracks ....instantly full floor , except the birthday girl and her 2 friends.....

what happened next?????????

Danno I agree with you last statement and I personally would rather not take gigs im not going to enjoy as I think that rubs off on a crowd no matter how professional you are ...... rightly or wrongly I don't carry drum n bass stuff or Hard House ..... because 4-5 hours of that would just make every orifice i have bleed and i would hate it.

Dave thats a really sad party--only had 2 friends of same age?

what happened next?????????????????????

Danno, you have your system and its working for you--thats great

Mine is different because I dont do Discos every week so I rely on advice from forum friends and feedback and playlists from clients.

My Wedding Saturday night is a classic example--Bride and Groom were huge Barry White fans--easy you may say--but they asked in advance for-- I am qualified to satisfy you--I dont have that one so I just downloaded it anyway.

They gave WELL IN ADVANCE--REMEMBER THE 14 DAY RULE--- a long list compiled (I found out later) by virtually the whole of their circle of friends who seemed to have met at University and who had memories of certain tracks whilst they were enjoying themselves at social events during those years. So if you dont ask for a playlist how do you know what they really really want on the night---and--- look away now Rice--- what if you have it but its at the bottom of the CD case---or even worse you dont have it?

As soon as I put on any of the tracks selected they were away with the fairies!!!!!!!!!!!

Admittedly I have nearly all those tracks anyway but I find it much more relaxing to use the printed list in advance and decide when to play tracks--the skill is getting the best out of a playlist.

I printed the list off and had it available so guests could come up and say play this and this, worked brilliantly all night--

The B and G plus their friends were young professionals --best man is a Barrister--and it seemed to me they considered me as a fellow professional ( not quite as well paid ) by the way the music prior to the whole event was handled--its a control thing which some people like--in other words we dont have to worry about the music cos the DJ has EVERY track we could possibly want--its all been arranged in advance and they feel relaxed and confident in advance its going to be a brilliant Wedding party.

None of this--I wonder if the Dj will be any good and if hes got stuff we like?

Dont forget in the world of some people who may be loosely described as control freaks--paperwork, lists, schedules, contracts are all a way of every day life--so for them whats the big deal about an agreed play list for a Wedding?

Disco Utopia:D :D :D

Ok doesnt work 100 per cent of the time but works for my situation.

Rice have you got your plan sorted out now:D

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
25-06-2007, 02:04 PM
well rightly or wrongly ..... I decided to go with the majority and keep the floor full with tracks that people were dancing to, the thinking being I could play all the things on the birthday girls list but if 3 quarters of her guests left at 9pm as they hated the "rubbish" the dj was playing it would have been a really damp unmemorable evening for her ..... yes i did explain my feelings to her and told her that i was more than willing to play her list for her if thats what she wanted .....

in the end the the (cough) joint decision was to keep the party atmosphere going so everyone dancing and having fun could be remembered , yes it was sad that she only had 2 friends her own age there????? ive had 2 like that now.

Danno13
25-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Crazy.. thats a good example of when this works, and i don't doubt that there are many more instances like that. But equally, there are couples who could give you a list of rubbish that no-one is going to dance to!

All i'm saying is that i've not found that the market "demands" us to be doing this.. as Ricesnaps suggested.

CRAZY K
25-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Crazy.. thats a good example of when this works, and i don't doubt that there are many more instances like that. But equally, there are couples who could give you a list of rubbish that no-one is going to dance to!

All i'm saying is that i've not found that the market "demands" us to be doing this.. as Ricesnaps suggested.

Fair comment there--of course we all operate in the same market but with different types of people as regards age, music tastes, income brackets etc so there will be differences.

My approach is my choice and people take it or leave it--I tell them thats how I work so its their decision--

Possibly the type of people Rice is now talking to about Wedding Entertainment expect more than just the DJ turning up and doing the Disco--

Added value may well include the facility of the "Your Choice" Disco for varying reasons--I suspect its because he is targeting people using quite expensive venues who tend to be more demanding ( and why not ) and expect their function to be very successful and consider getting the music
right in advance as a priority--with no disrespect to anyone. RICE ?

I suppose there are still horror stories going around about the duff DJ at Weddings so people still worry, interestingly at my gig on Saturday the bar staff commented to the Brides father it was nice to see so many people up and dancing all night---of course I cheat because I run a Barn Dance set at the start of the evening to liven things up:D

CRAZY K

Danno13
25-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Added value may well include the facility of the "Your Choice" Disco for varying reasons--I suspect its because he is targeting people using quite expensive venues who tend to be more demanding ( and why not ) and expect their function to be very successful and consider getting the music
right in advance as a priority--with no disrespect to anyone. RICE ?

But i'm sure Ricesnaps and I both target the same kind of market and get the same quality of gigs. Its just that I find most of my clients don't want to be concerned about giving a playlist.. they book me for my experience and ability to read a crowd, not saying anyone here can't do that of course.

And i already tell people that they're welcome to provide music choices.. but as I keep saying the uptake isn't that great. By the time i've spoken to the client and discussed things they're usually happy that they can leave things to me and still get a fantastic night!

<cliche>Maybe its a regional thing?</cliche>

theoloyla
25-06-2007, 05:07 PM
My view is the client who is paying calls the tune. If they want to playlist me for the whole evening I dont like it much but I do it. I am not sure that it is wise asking the guests in advance as you CAN get too many requests. I favour getting the b & g to request about a dozen songs and also nominate any special request like "Tina Turner for the brides father etc"

Ricesnaps
25-06-2007, 06:48 PM
OK, here's the bottom line...

I have spent a lot of time talking to brides and grrom lately from all parts of the country. The one resounding answer "we want to be incontrol of our music" and "we want a DJ who will play what we want them to play".

I think we would all hold our hands up and say we don't like doing gigs where we don't enjoy what we are playing. So simple, don't do weddings. To be honest the choices are usually fairly usual and "wedding", although some aren't. This is the first year since I move to Ipswich I have been jam packed throughout the summer "wedding" season, I am now almost full for next year too and the overwhelming comments both from the people booking and the people who have had very successful nights with me has been the music choice.

Don't get me wrong, I never encourange a rigid set playlist, but I do encourage as much or as little involvement as the client wants to give me.

Trust me, if you'd asked me this two or three years ago I would have run to the hills - ask Crazy!!! Now, well I have learnt a lot and improved a lot.

Each to there own, but trust me, it does work!

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2007, 07:57 PM
OK, here's the bottom line...

I have spent a lot of time talking to brides and grrom lately from all parts of the country.

You mean that you have been talking to people on bridal forums?

That is not the same thing Rice. People that frequent forums are generally very opinionated on them, but are completely different in real life.

If I have got this wrong, then apologies.

Personally I think "The one resounding answer "we want to be incontrol of our music" and "we want a DJ who will play what we want them to play". is an absolute nonsense.

CRAZY K
25-06-2007, 08:30 PM

That is not the same thing Rice. People that frequent forums are generally very opinionated on them, but are completely different in real life.

Personally I think "The one resounding answer "we want to be incontrol of our music" and "we want a DJ who will play what we want them to play". is an absolute nonsense.

Well despite the differing views being expressed which I respect-- there must be some sense somewhere if hes booked up pretty solidly for next year.

Or is it just me that isnt?:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
25-06-2007, 09:16 PM

Yes, you are completely wrong, most of my discussions have been at wedding fairs, at weddings with a small amount of more recent discussions on wedding forums. I also now keep a close eye on the wedding trends, web sites and publications to make sure I am correctly marketing myself.

I would say that around 90% of the enquiries I am getting are specifically because I offer the choice that I do. In fact two local companies have now copied what I do and are offering very similar services!

As I said, we all have different opinions and experiences. We also all learn from other peoples and the decisions I am making now and which are dramatically changing the way my business is going are a direct result of listening and learning from others and from my clients.

To be honest, it's been hard work and being the stubourn always right kinda guy that I am, very difficult for me to change my mould! However, it's funny, when you see the light bulb and manage to change, it's something you want to shout about!

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I have spent a lot of time talking to brides and grrom lately from all parts of the country.

Yes, you are completely wrong, most of my discussions have been at wedding fairs,

So you do wedding fayres all over the country then?

I'm interested to know where you are sourcing all this information from, because my clients want an input to the music, but certainly don't want to be in control of it.

Ricesnaps
25-06-2007, 09:43 PM
So you do wedding fayres all over the country then?

I'm interested to know where you are sourcing all this information from, because my clients want an input to the music, but certainly don't want to be in control of it.

Too tired to care now, sorry Darren.

As I said, each to his own - was only trying to offer up my lightbulb experience for others to benefit from.

Cheer Crazy! Achey Breaky heart eh! Hope to see you next month!

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Too tired to care now, sorry Darren.

OK, fine. Perhaps I'll remember that next time you need a question answering.

Danno13
25-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I think we would all hold our hands up and say we don't like doing gigs where we don't enjoy what we are playing. So simple, don't do weddings.

Well now you're just twisting peoples words. I throroughly enjoy the vast majority of weddings that I play at, most people my age would only really like doing 18ths and 21st.. but i honestly find these boring now, because its the same rubbish at every one and it feels very stale.... I enjoy the fact that you have to be more diverse at a wedding, and this happens whether you're given a playlist or not, because of differing crowds you'll get at each gig.

To be honest the choices are usually fairly usual and "wedding", although some aren't.

Well I'm not saying I don't take any input at all.. but its usually a case of "these are a few songs we like, but we've got a wide range of guests.. so please everyone..."

This is the first year since I move to Ipswich I have been jam packed throughout the summer "wedding" season, I am now almost full for next year too and the overwhelming comments both from the people booking and the people who have had very successful nights with me has been the music choice.

Perhaps we're attracting different clients.. i mean if your website is geared towards attracting people who want to give playlists then you may well get more enquiries like that (I haven't looked at your site.. i'm just guessing).

As i've said a few times, like you, I encourage input over the music.. but most don't really want to.. or are more comfortable with me being in control, as afterall i'm being paid to provide a service. They wouldn't tell the photogrpaher what angle to take photos from, or what exposure settings to use....

rob1963
25-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I tend to agree with Danno & Darren on this one.

Of course it's important for the clients to have as much choice as they want with the music, but I haven't had a client yet who wants complete control.

My request sheets have space for up to 50 songs, but in reality most clients will list between 10 and 20 songs which they would like to be played.

Therefore, in an average 3 hour wedding disco (excluding background music), up to a third of what I play will be songs that were pre-requested by the clients, but the other two thirds plus will be mostly my own selection, and also some choices from guests who come up & ask for their favourites.

Maybe there are different trends in other parts of the country. I can only speak about my own clients in the Surrey & South West London area.

However, if Ricesnaps is jam packed with this bookings for this year & almost full for NEXT year too, then he must be doing something right!

I'm also solid until the end of September, in fact I have 3 discos this weekend, but I only have 2 bookings for the whole of next year so far. That's not unusual for me though, as most of my work only comes in about 6 months in advance.

As Ricesnaps said, we are all different.

PropellerHeadCase
25-06-2007, 11:27 PM
there are couples who could give you a list of rubbish that no-one is going to dance to!

Which I'd rather get in advance and 'manage' than get on the night where it's a fait accompli.

My view is the client who is paying calls the tune. If they want to playlist me for the whole evening I dont like it much but I do it. I am not sure that it is wise asking the guests in advance as you CAN get too many requests. I favour getting the b & g to request about a dozen songs and also nominate any special request like "Tina Turner for the brides father etc"

"Too many requests"? Suerly that just means that you can pick the best of the bunch and ignore the dross? The excuse being, to anyone that asks, "Sorry, I've got loads of requests, I'm just getting them in where they fit."

To answer the general trends of this thread from my perspective...

I hate getting no requests beyond a first/last dance and a dedication or two, I love getting big lists with a handful of must plays, and I actively encourage it - it gives the B&G, and me, the control we need to get the job done.

Any one of us can trot out the 'instant wedding disco, just add guests' mix, and sometimes that is absolutely all that is required, but I get a great reaction from Brides and Grooms when I say that I can, and do, play the songs that everyone expects, but that I like to make sure there are at least a few songs, of an evening, that make the music, as a whole, uniquely 'them'. This doesn't have to be an obscure track at all, just something you don't hear at every wedding.

For example, many years ago I did a wedding for a couple who loved 80s rock and modern dance (which at the time was typified by SASH!), so right near the end of the night I played a remix of 'Pat Benatar's 'We Belong', which sounded a bit like SASH (but wasn't), it was absolutely the perfect track to play, all remaining guests were on the floor, in a circle, hands linked and raised... job done.

My preferred method now is to get a fuller picture of not only what the bride and groom like, but why...

If you get a request list of 20 must-play songs of which two are U2, for example, it would be reasonable to assume that they like U2, right? But if you look at the list another way, 18 of the 20 (the U2 songs included), are from the mid-80s. Upon further discussion it turns out that they hate U2, except for those two songs, which they love, but they love almost anything released between '84 and '89. This is a little over-generalised but you get my point.

It can take a lot of additional work to find out what the Bride and Groom really like, and sure, sometimes they really like 'Dancing Queen' and 'Rock DJ', but other times they'll dance to those, because they're fun, but they really like the late 60s & early 70s (as I do), so playing 'Roadhouse Blues', 'Gloria' (by Them with Van, not the 80s tune) and 'Born to Be Wild' along with a few CCR tunes is the right way to go. You only end up playing three or four songs that are any different from what you would normally play, but it's those songs that make the night for them and any friends and family who have similar tastes (and you can almost guarantee there'll be a few).

With multiple requests from lots of guests you get the opportunity to not only play some half-decent stuff that you might not normally play, with some hope of success, but the requests will also suggest other songs that are worth playing even though not specifically requested.

The phrase that pays with my wedding clients, and I'm sure yours, too...

"I play a balance between your requests and what your guests are enjoying on the night."

Ricesnaps
26-06-2007, 06:11 AM
OK, fine. Perhaps I'll remember that next time you need a question answering.

There's no need to be like that. Sometimes I get exasperated and frustrated, I would guess we all do. As I have said many times I am pastionate about what I do and the market I am in. I have also had a huge and difficult journe to get to where I am now and have struggled with a lot of the things that now make me far more successful than I have ever been.

You are absolutley right, I can't attend weding fairs around the whole country (and maybe it was a little unfair to be so picky on one of my late night and tired responses), but I HAVE made a point of going after my target audiance in the same way that Propella has, albeit nationally through a number of wedding forums, but the message is coming back loud and clear - after all, why wouldn't a wedding frum represent a wide selection of the wedding market and if you believe it doesn't, where do you get your market research from?

Please don't think I am being arogant and stubourn and refuse to listen to what others are saying. This has very much been a personal a difficult journey for me and my business which thankfully I have now managed to come out of the other end of. It IS showing huge dividends and there are many ways to take this market even further. It actually isn't about having rigid playlists by the way (I don't think I ever actually said that did I?), but it is about pandering to the clients and giving back the choices to them. The tough part for me was not only to realise, but to be comfortable with allowing my clients to have the imput that THEY want from there party and NOT to back them into a courner because "I no best". Maybe I do, but generally the most important part of a wedding booking is encourage the bride and groom to feel comfortable about the whole evening. Maybe you believe that this is best done by refusing to take large request list or by making it clear that you are a professional and you know best. That was exactly the way I was, client meetings where I made it clear that I didn't do playlists and that all I wanted was a few song suggestions. Now I don't even flinch when I'm past a wad of A4 sheets with tracks on.

But you know, sometimes folks just say "we want to have fun", everyones different, it's just that I now know that the ones who want the choose are to be encouraged as well.

What's the bottom line here. Are we all different? Is the wedding market different in different parts of the country? Well, yes I guess we are all different and we all have our own ways (and that's how it should be), but is the wedding market different.... who know's, but I suspect it's actually fairly similar is some ways.....

Dragonfly
26-06-2007, 07:20 AM
They wouldn't tell the photogrpaher what angle to take photos from, or what exposure settings to use....

maybe not but they may well have some input as to what they want him/her to take photographs of????

again rightly or wrongly .....

my sister had input into her photographs ..... none posed she told him just all natural shots of the day.........

total disaster ......... I was on one photo , mother of the bride was on one photo and at no point were me , my sister and my mum on the same photo , one lives in derby , one in york and the other in fuerteventura and these days we all very rarely get together, the guy gave the client exactly what she wanted ....... result ......... one newly married lady distraught after the even because the 3k photos werent what she wanted after all ..... and to top it of on the one very nice pic of my mum who was at her side with a huge grin ........ my dad (the 2 were divorced some 12 years ago and threaten physical violence to each other on a weekly basis)

yes my personal opinion is we are providing a service and "the customer is always right" but as true professionals we should also advise and use our knowledge and experience to help clients get the best from their once in a lifetime day..... not just

"you would like 5 hours of the best of Rolf Harris"? "ok no problem you are the customer it will be done"

that to me just seems like an easy way to coast along , I do actively encourage input into music the same way Theo outlined in an earlier post.

2 examples from my experience :

last year one wedding said , "we want indie just indie nothing else , stone roses, oasis, ian brown etc "

that is exactly what I provided......

afterwards asked the bride if she had enjoyed her evening and big day?

"Ive had a lovely time thank you , but i do feel very guilty because some of my family have travelled from far and wide to be here like aunts uncles nans grandads etc , and they have been sat in the lounge of the hotel all night because they hate this kind of music i wish I could have had them in here with me"

I learned from that rhat advice is very important too no I dont know all of a couples friends and relatives but it is hugely important to consider them when thinking of entertainment after all you have invited them to SHARE in your occasion.

the other example

the couple said "we were at uni with our friends in the early 90s so please stick with that music as we can then all reminisce and it will be great"

at the gig after 45 minutes of early 90s a group of about 7 ladies came up and...

"we appreciate that we were all at uni together in 93/94 ..... but we aren't now , we have all grown up and moved on a bit and our tastes changed could we have some xxx and xxx?"

Corabar Steve
26-06-2007, 08:29 AM
"I no best".

Freudian slip there Matt? :sj:

CRAZY K
26-06-2007, 08:44 AM
I tend to agree with Danno & Darren on this one.

Of course it's important for the clients to have as much choice as they want with the music, but I haven't had a client yet who wants complete control.

My request sheets have space for up to 50 songs, but in reality most clients will list between 10 and 20 songs which they would like to be played.

Therefore, in an average 3 hour wedding disco (excluding background music), up to a third of what I play will be songs that were pre-requested by the clients, but the other two thirds plus will be mostly my own selection, and also some choices from guests who come up & ask for their favourites.

Maybe there are different trends in other parts of the country. I can only speak about my own clients in the Surrey & South West London area.

However, if Ricesnaps is jam packed with this bookings for this year & almost full for NEXT year too, then he must be doing something right!

I'm also solid until the end of September, in fact I have 3 discos this weekend, but I only have 2 bookings for the whole of next year so far. That's not unusual for me though, as most of my work only comes in about 6 months in advance.

As Ricesnaps said, we are all different.

ROB SAID

You havent lived Rob!

My gig last Saturday was one--the Best man actually referred in his speech to the B and G as being Control freaks.( As if i didnt know! with a massive play list)

Before the wedding apparently they were handing out lists of jobs for people to do and then issuing amended ones!!!!!!!!!!!

To really spook you get this:eek:

The play list was divided into three sections--first third, second third, last third AND the last 5 tracks HAD to be played in a special order.

So put last 5 on Mini disc and went onto cruise control.

To be fair the floor was jam packed for the last 20 minutes:D

Worked brilliantly.

Naturally this is not an everyday event and not typical of my events.:D

CRAZY K

soundtracker
26-06-2007, 08:50 AM
I also agree with Dan, Darren and Rob - five Weddings this weekend - one list of 40 songs - all blindingly obvious, one list of 50 odd which also has don't plays, which is totally contradictory, ie No Cheesy pop- but wan't Kylie and Sophie E-B, no Poodle Rock, ie Bon Jovi - but want Bryan Adams, No Agadoo, Birdy Song type things, but want Timewarp!!
Two first dance only, rest left to DJ and my own - not even decided on first dance yet!
This is pretty representative of my year - I ASK for playlists- but the huge majority ain't bothered.
My last huge playlist event was "We want Ska Punk and Rock - "deffo NO CHEESE" by the middle of the evening we had a 100 people including B&G dancing to Tiffany, Belinda Carlisle and ABBa!!!! Most couples haven't got a clue.
On one Wedding Forum the other week some prat listed the top 100 songs of all time as a suggested wedding list! Get on down to Bob Dylan and Radiohead!!! Yeah right!

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2007, 09:07 AM
why wouldn't a wedding frum represent a wide selection of the wedding market

Because most brides don't go on forums, the same as most DJs don't go on forums. Go and check how many weddings there were last year Rice, and then go and check how many brides are asking questions about 'our' industry on forums.

I've looked at these forums for research purposes and found that there isn't even a lot of interest about what we do, let alone enough people to represent a wide section of the wedding market.

I'm not questioning the fact that you have work coming in - I'm questioning where you are getting your facts and figures from to represent the statements you are making.

In other words, no, I don't think brides on forums are representative of the whole wedding market.

Ricesnaps
26-06-2007, 09:38 AM
maybe not but they may well have some input as to what they want him/her to take photographs of????

again rightly or wrongly .....

my sister had input into her photographs ..... none posed she told him just all natural shots of the day.........

total disaster ......... I was on one photo , mother of the bride was on one photo and at no point were me , my sister and my mum on the same photo , one lives in derby , one in york and the other in fuerteventura and these days we all very rarely get together, the guy gave the client exactly what she wanted ....... result ......... one newly married lady distraught after the even because the 3k photos werent what she wanted after all ..... and to top it of on the one very nice pic of my mum who was at her side with a huge grin ........ my dad (the 2 were divorced some 12 years ago and threaten physical violence to each other on a weekly basis)

yes my personal opinion is we are providing a service and "the customer is always right" but as true professionals we should also advise and use our knowledge and experience to help clients get the best from their once in a lifetime day..... not just

"you would like 5 hours of the best of Rolf Harris"? "ok no problem you are the customer it will be done"

that to me just seems like an easy way to coast along , I do actively encourage input into music the same way Theo outlined in an earlier post.

2 examples from my experience :

last year one wedding said , "we want indie just indie nothing else , stone roses, oasis, ian brown etc "

that is exactly what I provided......

afterwards asked the bride if she had enjoyed her evening and big day?

"Ive had a lovely time thank you , but i do feel very guilty because some of my family have travelled from far and wide to be here like aunts uncles nans grandads etc , and they have been sat in the lounge of the hotel all night because they hate this kind of music i wish I could have had them in here with me"

I learned from that rhat advice is very important too no I dont know all of a couples friends and relatives but it is hugely important to consider them when thinking of entertainment after all you have invited them to SHARE in your occasion.

the other example

the couple said "we were at uni with our friends in the early 90s so please stick with that music as we can then all reminisce and it will be great"

at the gig after 45 minutes of early 90s a group of about 7 ladies came up and...

"we appreciate that we were all at uni together in 93/94 ..... but we aren't now , we have all grown up and moved on a bit and our tastes changed could we have some xxx and xxx?"

You seem to put things so much better than I can sometimes Dragon. I think we are certainly on the same wavelength.

I guess the the "gaps" you filled in for me are certainly the consultation. Aplogies if I have somewhat blindly pushed away at the "your music choice", but to be fair, that was what this particular thread was originally about. The key to the market is indeed providing the reasurance to the couple that they are the most important part of your involvement in there day. Commonly for me over the last few years this has shown itself through the ability to get the music right. I think for many years I had a very arogant aproach to what i played and certainly have had a "I know best" attitude.

For me that changed finally due to two specific gigs.

I was booked for a winter ball in a lovely hotel in Ipswich a year last January....

The clients decided to do a request list around the office, sent it to me and called to say "you do take requests don't you". Of course I said yes, but I also pointed out that i knew best (so to speak, maybe not quite that blunt).

Evening came, I played to the floor and had a packed full floor all night. Great eveung, couldn't possibly have gone any better. But there were regular visits from one or two guests (who had actually been up and dancing) asking why I wasn't playing there requests. Why wasn't I? Well because I didn't believe the tracks were suitable or even fitted with what the crowd were dancing to, I was right and they were wrong (and don't ask me what they were, I've been to sleep since then!). The evening continued and the night just seemed to get better...

...end of the night, packing away feeling fairly chuffed with myself and the lady who booked me marches up, very upset and tells me I was &^*& and didn't play anything that they had asked for. You had to be there, but it dented me a little.

...Then later in the year i played a wedding. marquee job, posh London couple... large playlist, which to be fair I actually used, but mainly in the early part of the night as background stuff. As the night progressed and the guests got more and more into the night and the floor got fuller and fuller, the bride started to send over her bridesmades to complain on her behalf that i wasn't playing what she wanted (you should realise at this point I have about 100 people crammed on a small dance floor going absolutely mad for Faithless and the Prodigy and all the bride wanted was some Bay City rollers). I politely explained that it wasn't apropriate and maybe the bride would like to come and talk to me herself and I would see what I could do to get me to the rollers, but more bridesmaids and friends were sent up, one by one.

OK, so the stories may be a little old and not quite how they happened, but they were the two defining moments that have lead me to where I am now. The progression has been quite slow, but I do thing now that I would never have done before.

Now I ALWAYS have a pre-client visit, I discuss not just the music, but the whole days plan with them, I make sure that they know I am committed to helping them in whatever way i can. We discuss the music they want for there first dance, maybe even the second, I make suggestions based on my experience and I ask them to take the lead in decisions where they feel they need to. I suggest that they can give me nothing to work on musically or a step by step playlist should they wish and therefore anything in the middle. I do explain the importance of there "other guests" when choosing music, but I generally suggest that a happy middle ground is a selection of maybe 30 - 50 tracks that they would like to be played. The important learning point for me had simply been recognising who's paying the bill and who's wedding it actually is. I have already suggested that this has paid dividends and it really really has. This is the first year where I can honestly, hand on heart, say I haven't had a duff gig at all this year. Personally i can only put that down to the way I plan and promote my service.

This thread was about taking that next step to help my clients with the music selection. Why? Because that's what my clients have already been telling me they want to do and the gigs so far that have tried that aproach have been a huge huge success. More success = more gigs = more money - better fees, or at least I hope.

Thanks again Dragon

Ricesnaps
26-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Because most brides don't go on forums, the same as most DJs don't go on forums. Go and check how many weddings there were last year Rice, and then go and check how many brides are asking questions about 'our' industry on forums.

I've looked at these forums for research purposes and found that there isn't even a lot of interest about what we do, let alone enough people to represent a wide section of the wedding market.

I'm not questioning the fact that you have work coming in - I'm questioning where you are getting your facts and figures from to represent the statements you are making.

In other words, no, I don't think brides on forums are representative of the whole wedding market.

I take a couple of things from this.

1. Where else, other than wedding forums, can you go to get a cross sectional view of the wedding market direct from the horses mouth?

2. "there isn't a lot of interest about what we do" I believe is exactly the answer to your question! I think to be honest, my experiance both for mor recient wedding forum threads AND wedding fairs and my past wedding clients is exactly that. If you drew up a list of things that are important to a couple BEFORE there wedding, the DJ might not even get on the list. Ask them afterwards and I guess we would make the top 5 quite easily. The challenge for me is to understand WHY they aren't interested.

3. Where am i getting my facts and figures? I thought I had already said how? Why do I believe they are right? Because I am seeing the benefits from taking notice and listening in the work that I am getting. I have also pointed out that I am a stubourn sod a lot of the time, I'm sure a lot of us are, so opening my ears and listening has not been an easy task for me. However this year not only have I had superb comments from my clients, more work coming in way in advance of anything I've had before, but I've also had venue manager specifically ask for my promotional material so they can recomend me. I'm honestly not big headed at all, if I was i would tell you it's because I am a fantastic DJ and can do no wrong. Actually this is all down to listening and learning and putting what I learn into practice.

Time will tell!

PropellerHeadCase
26-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Well, since 1997 there have been nearly 3½ million posts on Hitched. That's just one site! Even if only 1% of those posts had something to do with DJing/music it would be a useful resource... I'd estimate that one in fifty posts are questions about music, on Hitched anyway.

The active posters on Hitched represent a cross-section from across the UK, with wildly differing budgets, and hugely different tastes in music.

Ricesnaps
26-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Well, since 1997 there have been nearly 3½ million posts on Hitched. That's just one site! Even if only 1% of those posts had something to do with DJing/music it would be a useful resource... I'd estimate that one in fifty posts are questions about music, on Hitched anyway.

The active posters on Hitched represent a cross-section from across the UK, with wildly differing budgets, and hugely different tastes in music.

So glad this is the chappie I took my lead from!

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2007, 02:54 PM

So how many marriages have their been since 1997 and what proportion of those B&Gs are members on Hitched and have made a post?

I am not saying it isn't a useful resource. I am saying that you can't take the views of one particular site to be the view of all people getting married.

What percentage of people getting married go on forums? Work that out and then tell me it gives a proper representation of brides to be.

Ricesnaps
26-06-2007, 03:45 PM
So how many marriages have their been since 1997 and what proportion of those B&Gs are members on Hitched and have made a post?

I am not saying it isn't a useful resource. I am saying that you can't take the views of one particular site to be the view of all people getting married.

What percentage of people getting married go on forums? Work that out and then tell me it gives a proper representation of brides to be.

Darren,

I think to be fair here, this is simply a sampling exercise and possibly a very good way to achieve that. Lets look at other consumer reaction marketing. How do we know that 3 million people watched the final of Britains Got Tallent (or whatever the final figure was)? Did somebody go into every home in the UK and ask them what they watched? Absolutely not (I can state that as fact, because nobody asked me!), no, they used a sample of watches and based there figures on that (and if that's not how they do the watching figures then I will have learnt something, but don't shoot me down, it's just meant to be an example).

Far from asking Prop for more detail to his data, why not tell us why we're wrong? Where do you source your wedding market research, how do you know you are constantly doing things the right way and will get bigger and better? Now I would really be interested to know - always looking for new ways to develope my business (honestly)

CRAZY K
26-06-2007, 04:06 PM
:eek:
Darren,

I think to be fair here, this is simply a sampling exercise and possibly a very good way to achieve that. Lets look at other consumer reaction marketing. How do we know that 3 million people watched the final of Britains Got Tallent (or whatever the final figure was)? Did somebody go into every home in the UK and ask them what they watched? Absolutely not (I can state that as fact, because nobody asked me!), no, they used a sample of watches and based there figures on that (and if that's not how they do the watching figures then I will have learnt something, but don't shoot me down, it's just meant to be an example).

Far from asking Prop for more detail to his data, why not tell us why we're wrong? Where do you source your wedding market research, how do you know you are constantly doing things the right way and will get bigger and better? Now I would really be interested to know - always looking for new ways to develope my business (honestly)

I DONT WISH TO DISAGREE WITH EITHER THEORY HERE CHAPS BUT TODAY I BRING GROUND BREAKING NEWS TO SHOCK ALL OF US--

I HAVE JUST RECEIVED THE EMAIL WE HAVE ALL BEEN DREADING--MAYBE SHORTLY ONE WILL COME TO YOU--(I assure you this is genuine)

I am looking for a celilidh caller for my wedding on 22nd December this year. They would need to provide a sound system as well which we could link up to an Ipod for later in the evening.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes guys Crazy Ks Flashing Juke Box Hire Service starts here today--

I wonder if they will want lights as well--let me see

BARN DANCE CALLER HIRE £500
HIRE OF SOUND SYSTEM to plug in I Pod £50
DISCO LIGHTS £50

What do you think---:eek:

ps Just sent this e mail--
Hello xxxxxxx thanks for your enquiry.

Where is your Wedding please and what hours are Barn Dance Instruction and I Pod use required?

Would you like a quote to include Disco Lighting to generate the atmosphere of a real live Disco?:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

thanks

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Darren,

I am not saying you are wrong, but merely questioning your market research and the way you come to your results by quoting one source, and an online one at that. If this works for you then fine, but don't try and tell me that this is representative of all brides in the UK who 'want to be in control' of the music.

For your information my turnover went up by 50% last year this year is at the same level with 4 months still to go until year end.

You are never going to make a million just DJing, even as a multi-op or agent.

Hire - that's where the money is.

CRAZY K
26-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I am not saying you are wrong, but merely questioning your market research and the way you come to your results by quoting one source, and an online one at that. If this works for you then fine, but don't try and tell me that this is representative of all brides in the UK who 'want to be in control' of the music.

For your information my turnover went up by 50% last year this year is at the same level with 4 months still to go until year end.

Correct Darren--see my next post:D

regards

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2007, 04:23 PM

I DONT WISH TO DISAGREE WITH EITHER THEORY HERE CHAPS BUT TODAY I BRING GROUND BREAKING NEWS TO SHOCK ALL OF US--

I HAVE JUST RECEIVED THE EMAIL WE HAVE ALL BEEN DREADING--MAYBE SHORTLY ONE WILL COME TO YOU--(I assure you this is genuine)

I am looking for a celilidh caller for my wedding on 22nd December this year. They would need to provide a sound system as well which we could link up to an Ipod for later in the evening.

DISCO LIGHTS £50

Where is your Wedding please and what hours are Barn Dance Instruction and I Pod use required?

Would you like a quote to include Disco Lighting to generate the atmosphere of a real live Disco?:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

thanks

CRAZY K

Well I hate to tell you this Alan, but I have already hired out several PA's for weddings for this very reason.

If that's what they want to do, then fine. It's their day. For the hire's that I'v done, I don't even think it was for financial reasons as the functions were in marquees and Hotels.

The first time this happened, I hired a small PA to a chap for his wedding as he wanted to put his laptop through it. When I met him (It was a Sunday), it turned out that everything he was doing (60s theme night), he didn't think that DJs would be able to do or handle as he was very specific in his music.

I charged him £200 for a mixer/amp and pair of small cabs and told him we could of easily entertained his ideas and put the music in some kind of order for just over double that fee. He really couldn't believe that we could do that and this comes down to the same old thing - the publics perception of DJs and how low we are in it.

CRAZY K
26-06-2007, 04:26 PM

DISCO LIGHTS £50

thanks

CRAZY K

This gets more interesting by the minute chaps--

I have confirmation that the client wants to stick THEIR I Pod through my sound system till 1 oclock in the morning:eek:

The venue is one of the most prestigious I know of in North London AND a lighting quote is required.

Sounds like last weeks Wedding to me--but a lot easier--I dont even get a playlist to use===:D

Heigh ho--watch out for more developments--theres the challenge--are we more entertaining than I pods with flashing lights:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
26-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Well at last something we agree on!

You are absolutely spot on that DJing alone won't make me a million! Not convinced myself that PA hire is the answer and to be fair not something maybe I would be comfortable enough with to provide just yet.

However I am currently in the process of setting up "mood lighting" for venues - you may remember my recent thread about LED pars? Might have my first taker for that in December - working on it!

Although it's my wifes business, we are pushing the chocolate fountain hire massively with candy floss hire hopefully coming on stream by the end of the year.

But otherwise I'm always interested in other angles!

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Not convinced myself that PA hire is the answer and to be fair not something maybe I would be comfortable enough with to provide just yet.

I didnt say P.A. Hire, I said hire. ;)

CRAZY K
26-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Well I hate to tell you this Alan, but I have already hired out several PA's for weddings for this very reason.

If that's what they want to do, then fine. It's their day. For the hire's that I'v done, I don't even think it was for financial reasons as the functions were in marquees and Hotels.

The first time this happened, I hired a small PA to a chap for his wedding as he wanted to put his laptop through it. When I met him (It was a Sunday), it turned out that everything he was doing (60s theme night), he didn't think that DJs would be able to do or handle as he was very specific in his music.

I charged him £200 for a mixer/amp and pair of small cabs and told him we could of easily entertained his ideas and put the music in some kind of order for just over double that fee. He really couldn't believe that we could do that and this comes down to the same old thing - the publics perception of DJs and how low we are in it.

Interesting Darren, -is it possible to borrow a copy of your Hire Agreement in case I have to do this?

Presumably the hirer has to leave deposits etc--do you set up and take down--or do they have to come and pick it up for that price?

thanks

Alan
CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Interesting Darren, -is it possible to borrow a copy of your Hire Agreement in case I have to do this?

Presumably the hirer has to leave deposits etc--do you set up and take down--or do they have to come and pick it up for that price?

thanks

Alan
CRAZY K

I set it up and take it down. Check with your insurance though as some stipulate that you must be with the gear.

It depends whether they are classing the hire as a wet hire or a dry one to the insurances you need.

If you are not with the gear, then insurance must be bought by the client to cover any losses.

I tend to pick and choose these a bit, depending what they want and where it's going. I have a collegue who does the bigger ones, so we can generally cover most things.

CRAZY K
26-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I set it up and take it down. Check with your insurance though as some stipulate that you must be with the gear.

It depends whether they are classing the hire as a wet hire or a dry one to the insurances you need.

If you are not with the gear, then insurance must be bought by the client to cover any losses.

I tend to pick and choose these a bit, depending what they want and where it's going. I have a collegue who does the bigger ones, so we can generally cover most things.

Thanks I need to check with my Insurers anyway--I would stay with the kit--do you have Hire Conditions in writing I could borrow?

thanks

Alan
CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
26-06-2007, 05:46 PM

The first time this happened, I hired a small PA to a chap for his wedding as he wanted to put his laptop through it.

You can understand why I might have got that impression though

theoloyla
26-06-2007, 05:55 PM
My word this has been a heated thread again. As I see it a lot of what is at stake here is the confidence of the customer that you will provide what they want. It is true that many pig headed, cowboy dj's have tarnished our industry so that the perception is that all dj's play ear busting mind numbing head bashing music that will only appeal to them and their trendy friends. What is required is to give the client confidence that you WILL provide what they need. In the case of older dj's like myself this is easier. I have 40 years of experience and if I am good enough for The Savoy etc then I should be able to entertain at most weddings. This also increasingly works against me for kids parties and 18th's (although I can and still do do them). As I said in an earlier post if a client wants me to work to a playlist then I will and if that is the route that dj's need to take to prove to their potential clients that they will not just play Prodigy and Metallica all night then so be it. There is nothing worse than a big headed dj who thinks he knows it all and knows best. I have been doing this all my life and I still learn something at every gig.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks I need to check with my Insurers anyway--I would stay with the kit--do you have Hire Conditions in writing I could borrow?

thanks

Alan
CRAZY K

Where would you like it?

You can understand why I might have got that impression though

Indeed, but I did say 'hire' is where the money is. :)

CRAZY K
27-06-2007, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Solitaire Entertainments Ltd;121527]Where would you like it?

Darren thanks for your help --but I have turned this enquiry away as I now realise I dont have PLI cover for Hiring out--well I know I havent --im not sure my Insurance people understand that though saying im not liable if the hirer has a problem with my kit causing an accident due to an electrical defect in my equipment :eek:

Not correct. I MIGHT BE LIABLE AND NOT INSURED.

I used your idea of selling a full hire with DJ operator--not sure they will like the price:D

Thanks again

Alan

CRAZY K

PropellerHeadCase
27-06-2007, 11:05 PM

marketing answer :

Dragonflys response:

This post has been niggling at me since I read it and I've now figured out why...

Dragonfly, when did you do those four months of the marketing degree?

The reason I ask is that my last full time job was for New Zealand's Direct Marketing Association (now just The Marketing Association).

What you said up there isn't the "Marketing Answer" it's the 'Sales Answer', the marketing answer is more along the lines of (to continue the analogy)...

"Well, these are about the best shoes that you will get for £20 but you will be spending £20 to replace them in about 3 months. If you buy this £40-pair they should see you right for 9-12 months. If you do decide to go with this pair we'll send you out a 10%-off voucher for your next pair in 9 months."

Of course to do this you need to get an address and probably a phone number so you can call after a month and see if they are happy with the £40 shoes.

Maybe that's where Rice is finding his frustration with some peoples' responses. A web-site is a marketing tool, yes. The look-and-feel of your web-site and your forms and any hard copy materiel you have goes towards your image which is an aspect of your marketing as well as "the way you do business". Customer service and how you give that service is part of your marketing strategy, whether you realise it or not, as well as being "the way you do business". Marketing is a process of which the sale is a part - the sale itself is just an outcome which defines ensuing behaviour, it is not the ultimate goal.

I don't think anyone on MDD has the attitude of 'sale made, job done' (that's the virtual definition of 'cowboy' to my mind), but I think the difference that is leading to no small amount of contention is that your post-sales/pre-performance service should be a cohesive part of your marketing strategy - all that's changed is that you've gone from one-to-many (your web-site) to one-to-one (client meeting, email, etc.).

You might argue that what you do at the disco is the 'total experience' that your client is paying for, I say that, especially in the case of weddings, the consultation process leading into the disco itself and finishing with a post event round-up, be it a feedback form or whatever, is in fact the 'total experience'. If you meet with your client you make a human connection, few people would call even a long phone call a 'human connection' unless it was to a loved one. But you're not a loved one, you're a DJ. In making a human connection and hopefully a favourable impression you are far more likely to a) get some lee-way if you drop a clanger, and, more importantly, b) have a loyal customer.

There's a marketing truism that says 'It costs more to get a client than it does to keep a client', which may seem only passingly relevant when most weddings are one-offs, but another truism is that 'it takes ten good impressions to counter-act one bad impression'.

If the only experience your client has of you is a few phone calls, a brief meeting on the night, and the music that you play, they have no real reason to recommend you to anyone beyond a few months after the wedding. If, however, they have met you and you do a good job though-out the consultation-to-performance process they are far more likely to keep recommending your services long after the day.

Humans are social animals, if you can give your service an approachable, engaging human side you will win, every time.

PropellerHeadCase
27-06-2007, 11:18 PM
So glad this is the chappie I took my lead from!

That's really nice of you to say, Matt, I'm quite chuffed with such a vote of confidence.

Funny thing is that this whole thing has been a somewhat recent revolution for me, too, I've been working under the 'play list + phonecall = she'll be right, mate' illusion for some time, too. In fact it's only since setting up on my own, researching for my website, and just generally putting some actual thought into what I do rather than cruising along that I have come to these conclusions, and put them into practice... with rather excellent results.

PropellerHeadCase
27-06-2007, 11:29 PM

OK, I'll take the 1% of people getting married in any given year that also post on a forum (no basis for that percentage, just a number out of thin air) and consider that my potential client pool. In New Zealand that would be 1% of about 25,000, it's reasonable to assume that in the UK it's 15-16 times that...

OK, it turns out that it's about 11 times that:
In 2005 there were 283,730 weddings in the UK (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=322)

CRAZY K
28-06-2007, 09:24 AM
This post has been niggling at me since I read it and I've now figured out why...

The reason I ask is that my last full time job was for New Zealand's Direct Marketing Association (now just The Marketing Association).

What you said up there isn't the "Marketing Answer" it's the 'Sales Answer', the marketing answer is more along the lines of (to continue the analogy)...

"Well, these are about the best shoes that you will get for £20 but you will be spending £20 to replace them in about 3 months. If you buy this £40-pair they should see you right for 9-12 months. If you do decide to go with this pair we'll send you out a 10%-off voucher for your next pair in 9 months."

Of course to do this you need to get an address and probably a phone number so you can call after a month and see if they are happy with the £40 shoes.

Maybe that's where Rice is finding his frustration with some peoples' responses. A web-site is a marketing tool, yes. The look-and-feel of your web-site and your forms and any hard copy materiel you have goes towards your image which is an aspect of your marketing as well as "the way you do business". Customer service and how you give that service is part of your marketing strategy, whether you realise it or not, as well as being "the way you do business". Marketing is a process of which the sale is a part - the sale itself is just an outcome which defines ensuing behaviour, it is not the ultimate goal.

I don't think anyone on MDD has the attitude of 'sale made, job done' (that's the virtual definition of 'cowboy' to my mind), but I think the difference that is leading to no small amount of contention is that your post-sales/pre-performance service should be a cohesive part of your marketing strategy - all that's changed is that you've gone from one-to-many (your web-site) to one-to-one (client meeting, email, etc.).

You might argue that what you do at the disco is the 'total experience' that your client is paying for, I say that, especially in the case of weddings, the consultation process leading into the disco itself and finishing with a post event round-up, be it a feedback form or whatever, is in fact the 'total experience'. If you meet with your client you make a human connection, few people would call even a long phone call a 'human connection' unless it was to a loved one. But you're not a loved one, you're a DJ. In making a human connection and hopefully a favourable impression you are far more likely to a) get some lee-way if you drop a clanger, and, more importantly, b) have a loyal customer.

There's a marketing truism that says 'It costs more to get a client than it does to keep a client', which may seem only passingly relevant when most weddings are one-offs, but another truism is that 'it takes ten good impressions to counter-act one bad impression'.

If the only experience your client has of you is a few phone calls, a brief meeting on the night, and the music that you play, they have no real reason to recommend you to anyone beyond a few months after the wedding. If, however, they have met you and you do a good job though-out the consultation-to-performance process they are far more likely to keep recommending your services long after the day.

Humans are social animals, if you can give your service an approachable, engaging human side you will win, every time.

Marketing is a process of which the sale is a part - the sale itself is just an outcome which defines ensuing behaviour, it is not the ultimate goal.

Alan ,If thats the case why did I work as Consultant/ Salesman for 30 years being offered extremely attractive commissions and benefits to achieve company sales targets which were crucial to the development, expansion, profitability and shareholder value etc of whatever companies I worked for?

If you dont close those Disco sales--you are out of business:eek:

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
28-06-2007, 09:32 AM

I did it about 8 years ago for the record , but every other member of my family , mother , father and sister until recently when my mum retired earned a combined 180k a year from marketing which is where most of my advice comes from.

my step mum also runs and owns a succesful region wide business and has some input into ideas.

"Marketing is the management process responsible for identifying, anticipating and satisfying consumers' requirements profitably "

PropellerHeadCase
28-06-2007, 12:39 PM
OK, to clarify, that one sale is not the ultimate goal it is an opportunity to generate more sales by providing your service to an audience of which a percentage are likely to be in the market.

It was pretty stream of consciousness typing, so you'll excuse me if not all my points quite hit home.

Alan ,If thats the case why did I work as Consultant/ Salesman for 30 years being offered extremely attractive commissions and benefits to achieve company sales targets which were crucial to the development, expansion, profitability and shareholder value etc of whatever companies I worked for?

See above comment first, then...

My question to you is, how many of the sales that you made in that role where as a follow on from previous sales, and how many future sales were as a follow on from them? Each sale was a mini platform from which to launch future sales. It's a very fluid process, is it not? When you reached your sales targets did you stop selling?

My wife was reading me something about the difference between 'targets' and 'goals', I'll have to see if I can find it.

I did it about 8 years ago for the record , but every other member of my family , mother , father and sister until recently when my mum retired earned a combined 180k a year from marketing which is where most of my advice comes from.

my step mum also runs and owns a succesful region wide business and has some input into ideas.

"Marketing is the management process responsible for identifying, anticipating and satisfying consumers' requirements profitably "

I realise my original post may have come across as a little accusatory, it was not my intention, I recall that you had said that you cam from a marketing background, in the blood, like.

Regarding your finishing quote, there, I refer back to what I said above. In order to be profitable you don't stop at one sale, each sale is an opportunity to up-sell, cross-sell, or create customer loyalty.

Maybe this, which just came to me, says it better...

Any one sale is not your ultimate goal, sales, plural, are.