PDA

View Full Version : reducing image file sizes for web - Help

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi all,

I would be really grateful for any help on reducing my image file sizes for my web page. I have used Photoshop to resize the images and have produced smaller sizes, while still retaining quality, than I would using most of the recommended software packages for doing this. (believe me I have tried nearly all of them) But, I still get file sizes exceeding 1k.

I noticed that most websites have pictures with no more than 1k, yet the picture is still the same quality as if it were a JPG of say 1 to 2mg. Is there some software package that you all use on your server to zip the images, or something. Am at a loss on this one, so any help would be really appreciated.
:please: :please:

Many thanks

Martyn

Danno13
19-06-2007, 03:50 PM
You'd be hard pushed to get decent quality images at under 1K, thats stupidly small! Even for someone on dial-up. On my website, even my thumbnails are about 5k, and main pics are 50k.

As well as reducing the quality, have you also changed the size of the pictures? I resize all mine to 1024 x 768 before putting them up on my site and then the gallery script i wrote does further resizing to make thumbnails etc.

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi all again,

Further to my previous post. Can anyone explain why the images on webpages seem to show only as 1K, while the actual file size is really a lot bigger.

On my current holding page I have two pictures with sizes 27k and 194k, but when I pull it up on my computer at home, it shows as only 1K.

Again, there is obviously something I am missing and more to the point how do I know how far to go down in reducing file size and hence quality.

Again, I would be grateful for any help on this one.

Cheers

Martyn

Marc J
19-06-2007, 03:58 PM
If you've got Photoshop, use "Save for the Web".

It's under the File drop-down I think, after "Save" and "Save as".

For small images with fewer colours use GIF, otherwise use JPG with compression about 60% - 75% should be OK.

As for images showing as 1k when they aren't, I don't know?

EDIT: Your big images showing as 1K on your computer problem is probably because you've made shortcuts to the images, they are 1k. The images themselves are bigger.

Danno13
19-06-2007, 03:59 PM
When i download the pics on your main site, they still show as the proper size. So i'm not sure whats happening on your machine.

Also, you haven't resized your pictures properly, on your homepage you should resize those pictures in photoshop to the size you want, rather than use HTML to make them smaller.

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 04:00 PM
You'd be hard pushed to get decent quality images at under 1K, thats stupidly small! Even for someone on dial-up. On my website, even my thumbnails are about 5k, and main pics are 50k.

As well as reducing the quality, have you also changed the size of the pictures? I resize all mine to 1024 x 768 before putting them up on my site and then the gallery script i wrote does further resizing to make thumbnails etc.

Hi Danno, Thanks for that. I have gone even further with my new images. Have taken them down to 80px by 55px for the thumbs, 300px by 200px for the middle images, and 400px by 400px for the largest, and the largest show at sizes of up to 10k, with the thumbs at sizes up to 800 bites.

Also bin checking the size of my web pages, am using inline frames and the largest set shows a total size of 87k, which is about 27k above the save limit.

The thing is though, if you look at the image sizes through firefox on your computer, they show as only 1k mainly, am really confused. Is this a problem with firefox? As I have been banking of the info from Firefox to get my site right and compliant etc.

M

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 04:06 PM
When i download the pics on your main site, they still show as the proper size. So i'm not sure whats happening on your machine.

Also, you haven't resized your pictures properly, on your homepage you should resize those pictures in photoshop to the size you want, rather than use HTML to make them smaller.

Ya I know about the current page, was a quick pull together, but am finalising my new website at the moment and doing it properly. Have resized in Photoshop and used the same sizes in my HTML.

Think Marc J has probably answered the question, Marc is a real whiz at this stuff eh.

As I am using inline frames, and probably will have problems downloading etc., want to keep the file sizes as small as pos.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2007, 04:07 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Download image resizer - it takes all the hard work and working out which size to upload. Give it a try.

Danno13
19-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I use firefox (Version 2.0.0.4.), and they all showed as the correct size here.

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 04:10 PM
If you've got Photoshop, use "Save for the Web".

It's under the File drop-down I think, after "Save" and "Save as".

For small images with fewer colours use GIF, otherwise use JPG with compression about 60% - 75% should be OK.

As for images showing as 1k when they aren't, I don't know?

EDIT: Your big images showing as 1K on your computer problem is probably because you've made shortcuts to the images, they are 1k. The images themselves are bigger.

The penny drops!!! I thought the sizes were of the pictures.

I have used Save for the Web and adjusted all the bits 'quality' 'size' etc, for JPGs and for Gifs 'dithering' no of colors, transparancy etc.

So, if the sizes I can see with firefox are for the links only, why are they so large, as they are just the standard links, but showing in an inline frame. Am now more confused.:bang: :bang:

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Download image resizer - it takes all the hard work and working out which size to upload. Give it a try.

Thanks Daren, will give it a try. I will have several image resizing programmes on my computer after this, but I have found, that I can still get the smaller sizes and quality if I do it by hand using photoshop, probably because I know how to use this programme, and ya it takes for ages.

Marc J
19-06-2007, 04:17 PM
So, if the sizes I can see with firefox are for the links only, why are they so large, as they are just the standard links, but showing in an inline frame. Am now more confused.:bang: :bang:

Hmm...I thought you had perhaps created shortcuts and it were these shortcuts in a folder on your computer that were 1k. Right clicking on the image in Firefox and selecting "properties" should report the correct file size.

Unless your image is actually a table cell background, with a spacer image overlayed on top of it. This is a common trick for layout reasons or in a (rather lame) attempt at stopping people stealing images. If that's the case, then right clicking and selecting "properties" will give you the details of the spacer.gif image (probably 1k) not the underlying background image.

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I use firefox (Version 2.0.0.4.), and they all showed as the correct size here.

Same as me then, will check it out further.

DK Karaoke
19-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Hmm...I thought you had perhaps created shortcuts and it were these shortcuts in a folder on your computer that were 1k. Right clicking on the image in Firefox and selecting "properties" should report the correct file size.

Unless your image is actually a table cell background, with a spacer image overlayed on top of it. This is a common trick for layout reasons or in a (rather lame) attempt at stopping people stealing images. If that's the case, then right clicking and selecting "properties" will give you the details of the spacer.gif image (probably 1k) not the underlying background image.

The images are within a table cell, within an inline frame, within an inline frame. This is not an echo by the way. The main inline frame is on the front page, with another frame holding the gallery containing three holding webpages, and each holding separate webpages with pictures.

I use a table to hold the whole site within the center region of the display area, it seem to work. Have made it so the display area fits exactly within an 800 by 600 display monitor, and adjusts when viewed through a bigger monitor with alrger resolution. So far it works.