PDA

View Full Version : what set up would you suggest for £1800

DaveyG1980
19-06-2007, 05:08 PM
right guys got £1800 quid to spend and at the moment looking at getting this..

2x pioneer cdj 800mk2 (already have 1 so dont include that in price)

1x numark 200 mixer

4xdynamo scan

1x 4ft girafffe stand with case

1x dyanmo lighting case

2x acme puma

2x warrior 15a active speakers

1x star clothe

all that plus leads i can get for about 1750...

what you you recommend if thought different.???
Any suggestion would be grateful aswell cheers guys.:beer1:

Spirits High
19-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Throughly recommend the PSR15A's got a pair they're great!

stand and star cloth good move but shop around prices vary on the net.

Tony Scott
19-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Looks a good set-up, should be nice and smart.

Only thing I personaly would change would be the dynamo's, although they are very good, 100w scanners will struggle in a larger place, especially if there's some house lighting on.

For about an extra £80.00 you can get 4 x 250w ELC scanners.

I saw these:

http://soundlightuk.com/Chauvet/intimidator1.htm

They are very bright, have good optics and are extemely well made. :)

DaveyG1980
19-06-2007, 06:37 PM
with the ELC scanners would i still need the acme puma lights you think as the elc are 250 watts, or still need the pumas to spread light all around the halls etc... thanks for your reply.:beer1:

CRAZY K
19-06-2007, 06:44 PM

Only thing I personaly would change would be the dynamo's, although they are very good, 100w scanners will struggle in a larger place, especially if there's some house lighting on.

For about an extra £80.00 you can get 4 x 250w ELC scanners.

I saw these:

http://soundlightuk.com/Chauvet/intimidator1.htm

They are very bright, have good optics and are extemely well made. :)

Have you seen how bright the Dynamos are?

Cue Dragonfly ??????????

Then again he might be busy lighting up a stadium near you with his dynamos:D

CRAZY K

Tony Scott
19-06-2007, 06:44 PM
with the ELC scanners would i still need the acme puma lights you think as the elc are 250 watts, or still need the pumas to spread light all around the halls etc... thanks for your reply.:beer1:

I would still get the pumas as these will fill the dance floor with gobo shapes, while the scanners can sweep about the whole room.

I personaly think this a good way to set up your lights as it gives maximum effect & maximum coverage.

Only my opinion, sure others will have different views? :D

Tony Scott
19-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Have you seen how bright the Dynamos are?

Cue Dragonfly ??????????

Then again he might be busy lighting up a stadium near you with his dynamos:D

CRAZY K

LOL, Yeah bright! If on white & open gobo!! :D

DaveyG1980
19-06-2007, 06:56 PM
so many choices of equipment to choose from, this will be my first set up, and what i suggested at beggining of thread is what i came up with, from what people have talked about etc, and what reviews i have read. One thing i wont change is my pioneer cdj they my little baby, lol. but your right for 80 quid get 250 watts instead of 100, but i want to try and keep my lighting all the same make etc. and reason i get the dyanmos 100 watts is i get 4 of them plus 4ft giraffe stand,star cloth, cases for lights and case for stand plus leads for just over 500. and i thought that good deal. i could be wrong hence why im asking questions. and plus if i get all the stuff i said from the shop i the owner said we can come to some deal for the whole lot an chuck stuff in etc. so for about 1800 will either get cheaper for it all or get stuff thrown in, like speakers stands etc.:beer1:

Dragonfly
19-06-2007, 07:10 PM

my dynamos hold there own very well with my 250w lighting in the school sports hall i do every month ta muchly. syick with the dynamos excellent bit of kit for the money and save the extra for the sound .... to my mind the vastly more important part of the show.

last place i enquired about chauvet lighting told me and i quote "we dont deal with them any more as we got fed up with things coming back after a week."

Tony Scott
19-06-2007, 07:10 PM
......but i want to try and keep my lighting all the same make etc. and reason i get the dyanmos 100 watts is i get 4 of them plus 4ft giraffe stand,star cloth, cases for lights and case for stand plus leads for just over 500. and i thought that good deal.

Yeah that does sound like a good deal. what size is the star-cloth??

I've not owned the Dynamo's but have seen them working and they are good, I don't want to put you off of them! :) It's just I have owned 150w scanners before and was dissapointed, sold them 6 months later and bought 250w ones, but that might just be me being choosey? :D

DaveyG1980
19-06-2007, 07:14 PM
thanks mate, gonna stick with my first choice and get the dynamos, as i got told like you said sound more important than lighting. plus ill have the acme pumas which are 250 watts with them and ill have 2 of them with the dyanmos so i personaly think that will help them. for first rig i think think that will do, dont want it to get to complicated etc. cant wait to do a gig, got couple booked but not til nov/dec but at least thats making me dedicated to doing this. cheers.:beer1: :D

Tony Scott
19-06-2007, 07:33 PM
my dynamos hold there own very well with my 250w lighting in the school sports hall i do every month ta muchly. syick with the dynamos excellent bit of kit for the money and save the extra for the sound .... to my mind the vastly more important part of the show.

last place i enquired about chauvet lighting told me and i quote "we dont deal with them any more as we got fed up with things coming back after a week."

Wondered how long it would take for you to get on this Dave :D :D

Much of Chauvet lighting is made by the same company as ACME, just re-baged! Been using it for years and had great service from it!

ACME Winner = Chauvet Intimidator
ACME Rover = Chauvet Insignia
ACME Puma = Chauvet Squeeze

As I said I have never owned the Dynamo's so will leave it to those who have them to comment further. That said, I'm sure I've read somewhere that ACME are going to bring out a 250W version of the Dynamo...........wonder why? :D :D

Your comments on the sound though I totaly agree with! :)

Arnold_disco
19-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Wondered how long it would take for you to get on this Dave :D :D

Much of Chauvet lighting is made by the same company as ACME, just re-baged! Been using it for years and had great service from it!

ACME Winner = Chauvet Intimidator
ACME Rover = Chauvet Insignia
ACME Puma = Chauvet Squeeze

As I said I have never owned the Dynamo's so will leave it to those who have them to comment further. That said, I'm sure I've read somewhere that ACME are going to bring out a 250W version of the Dynamo...........wonder why? :D :D

Your comments on the sound though I totaly agree with! :)

The Acme falcon is the Chauvet dj squeeze and the Acme puma is the chauvet fascination.

Tony Scott
19-06-2007, 08:02 PM
The Acme falcon is the Chauvet dj squeeze and the Acme puma is the chauvet fascination.

I Stand corrected Arnold! :o :)

Point is they are still the same lights though, just less expensive!! :D :D

wensleydale
19-06-2007, 08:07 PM
you will be fine with the dynamos- all you need to worry about is lighting the dancefloor and you will be able to do that fine.

DaveyG1980
19-06-2007, 08:18 PM
gonna stick with the dynamos as thats all i can afford, always add to your gig as time goes on. Think my neighbours gonna hate me this weekend playing with all the equiment in house might have a party..lol.

Tony Scott
19-06-2007, 08:45 PM
gonna stick with the dynamos as thats all i can afford, always add to your gig as time goes on. Think my neighbours gonna hate me this weekend playing with all the equiment in house might have a party..lol.

lol, my neighbors hate me too, got a big conservatory across the back of the house that regularly gets used when programming lights and testing out the sound.......must hate me. :D :D

Remember to post some pictures of the rig when you get it set up! :)

Shakermaker Promotions
20-06-2007, 09:28 AM
For the price and even though they are 100w (you wouldn't know it!), the Acme Dynamos are great but as I have said before, you do need something to fill the floor etc as they go wild and rush about allover the place. I think what you have suggested already is fine. I have a couple of twisters to fill the floor and an Abyss aimed at the ceiling.

Ricesnaps
20-06-2007, 09:52 AM
For the price and even though they are 100w (you wouldn't know it!), the Acme Dynamos are great but as I have said before, you do need something to fill the floor etc as they go wild and rush about allover the place. I think what you have suggested already is fine. I have a couple of twisters to fill the floor and an Abyss aimed at the ceiling.

Don't ask me to quote the exact technical details, but the 100watt / 250watt argument isn't quite as valid as it might seem - the 100 watt lamps are lower voltage than the 250, which I believe has a bearing on the output.

IMHO don't even think about an abyss - rated it as one of my worst buys on a previous thread. perfect if you want to turn the house lights off and actually not notice, or indeed blind your clients!

Steve 'B'
20-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Invites!!

Shakermaker Promotions
20-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Ricey - That's your opinion mate. I have 2 Abyss and I find them great for mood lighting. I have even had comments on how 'nice' they are.

So, sorry to disagree with you but I like them and my clients like them and that's all that matters.

Ricesnaps
20-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Ricey - That's your opinion mate. I have 2 Abyss and I find them great for mood lighting. I have even had comments on how 'nice' they are.

So, sorry to disagree with you but I like them and my clients like them and that's all that matters.

You are welcome to dissagree - funny world if we all felt the same.

To be fair, Source have never had a great reputation and all the gear I've ever used has had either poor optics or been bulb hungry.

Just think there are now better mood lighting options about - maybe a set of LED PARS? Let you know when I get mine!

rob1963
20-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Shakermaker,

I can't believe you're disagreeing with Ricesnaps...you won't find ME doing that!

:D :D :D

Tony Scott
20-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Don't ask me to quote the exact technical details, but the 100watt / 250watt argument isn't quite as valid as it might seem - the 100 watt lamps are lower voltage than the 250, which I believe has a bearing on the output.

You sure about that Ricey? Struggling a bit to get my head around that theory!

I thought the reason the voltage goes up when you get above let's say 150w was to keep the current down so that the transformer doesn't have to be too big?

Also thought that the increase in wattage was equal to increased light output if the medium stays the same i.e. Halogen Reflector Lamp.

Not an expert on this subject by any means and I'm not saying your wrong.........just don't get it?

Somebody explain!!!

Thames Valley Discos
20-06-2007, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Tony Scott;120000]Looks a good set-up, should be nice and smart.

QUOTE]
Have you used these, i have and id tend not to agree with that.:D

Vectis
20-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Wot he said ^^^

Most of my effects are 250W halogens (datamoons, stormbirds, MV250s, spinmaster IIIs) except my Dynamos and you really can't spot the difference in intensity between them!

Thames Valley Discos
20-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Wot he said ^^^

Most of my effects are 250W halogens (datamoons, stormbirds, MV250s, spinmaster IIIs) except my Dynamos and you really can't spot the difference in intensity between them!
agree, i find them as bright as some 250w, and with haze they stand out better than my 250w barrrell lights

Tony Scott
20-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I give in! Think I'm outnumbered here. You win! I'll go and stand in the corner till I learn the lesson!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2007, 02:54 PM
agree, i find them as bright as some 250w, and with haze they stand out better than my 250w barrrell lights

Scanners are generally brighter than barrels anyway, as the light is just being reflected onto one mirror.

Shakermaker Promotions
20-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Ricey - I DO agree that they can be bulb hungry but I like them. I don't use them much really only for mood lighting at the start of the evening and then they go off.

As for arguing / diagreeing etc...Nothing wrong with it. Opinions are opinions and if we didn't have any and all thought the same thing then it would be very boring....HOWEVER...I can argue with the best of em!