PDA

View Full Version : Mojo ColorBlaster sticking colour wheel

Martin71
24-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi, all

First post from a newbie after some help.

The club where I (try) to maintain the lighting has 2 Mojo ColorBlasters linked via DMX to produce a chasing sound to light show. One of them has recently developed a sticking or jittering gobo wheel. Inside the unit is one diochric wheel, and it is this that jitters - though I`ve checked for dirt, checked it wheels freely (it does), checked connections etc.

Occasionally it will suddenly cycle through a few colours and stop again - all the time its partner works fine.

I`ve double checked the dip switches, and had thought they may have been messed with but I`ve set them how I think they should be (actually set to 4-unit sound to light; it worked fine until last weeK) and have the same problem.

Anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Martin

Manchester

ian8limelight
24-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Martin,

You might like to introduce yourself in the 'Newbie' section.

No doubt, someone on the Forum will be able to help here.:D

Tony Scott
24-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi, all

First post from a newbie after some help.

The club where I (try) to maintain the lighting has 2 Mojo ColorBlasters linked via DMX to produce a chasing sound to light show. One of them has recently developed a sticking or jittering gobo wheel. Inside the unit is one diochric wheel, and it is this that jitters - though I`ve checked for dirt, checked it wheels freely (it does), checked connections etc.

Occasionally it will suddenly cycle through a few colours and stop again - all the time its partner works fine.

I`ve double checked the dip switches, and had thought they may have been messed with but I`ve set them how I think they should be (actually set to 4-unit sound to light; it worked fine until last weeK) and have the same problem.

Anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Martin

Manchester

I had a similar problem with one of my Mojo scans, thought it was either the motor or PCB, it turned out to be the stepper motor.
When the power was off the colour wheel seemed to spin freely enough so I assumed it wasn't mechanical.

I just swapped the motor for one out of my other scans, it then worked fine. Problem solved, I then got a replacement motor for the other scan.

Suppose you could try this, if it doesn't work then try swapping the PCB's over, process of elimination.

One more thing to check: I had a fault with one of my Mojo spins, It turned out to be a dry joint where the dip switches were badly soldered to the PCB. I just took the pcb out and did a visual check on it.

Think your problem is probably the motor though!

Good luck! :)

Martin71
24-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.... I`ll have a good look.

And I`m off to the Newbies section :D

DMX Will
24-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Mojo motors = pants

Both my spin 1's have the mirror 'home' at a 45 degree angle!

Tony Scott
24-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Mojo motors = pants

Both my spin 1's have the mirror 'home' at a 45 degree angle!

Yeah Will, all 6 of mine do that! :bang:

DMX Will
24-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah Will, all 6 of mine do that! :bang:

To be honest - it's okay now they both did it...however very annoying when only one of them did it. Both equally crap now!!

You can reset them yourself by knocking them on (providing your DMX-ing) then once they've done a self test, move the mirror round manually. I don't tend to bother - but I've done it once or twice, seem to be OK until you switch off and on again.

Tony Scott
25-06-2007, 09:01 AM
To be honest - it's okay now they both did it...however very annoying when only one of them did it. Both equally crap now!!

You can reset them yourself by knocking them on (providing your DMX-ing) then once they've done a self test, move the mirror round manually. I don't tend to bother - but I've done it once or twice, seem to be OK until you switch off and on again.

Same here!

My six were surplus and just sitting in the garage. I have taken the brackets & arc mirror off, fixed a static mirror so they are effectively gobo colour changers, much better as a single beam.

I now use all six of them on big stages spaced out at the back of the stage on the floor in an arc firing up & out at about 45°.
They are dmx'd & run through chases, strobing seq. etc.

Absolutely awsome effect with haze, turn all other lights off & let them go, mad white strobe effect!!!
Also good as mood lighting for warm up - slow colour chase.

Sorry, going on a bit!