PDA

View Full Version : speakers..still can't decide.

bluishbob
25-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I know i have been talking about this for months, but i still can't decide. I want to add some 300w full range speakers but think i have two options in my price range.

Class D EVP -x15 300w - on ebay for about £90 new (if i am lucky)
Wharfedale CD128-1 300w - second hand for around £120

What are your thoughts....is wharfedale much better or would i be better off with a new cab.

Any other contenders with similar wattage / price ????

spin mobile disco
25-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Wharfdale have the brand name, and they are usually well made. I had some nice full range ones a few years ago and the sound reproduction was amazing. Very good bass response as well. Cant comment on the class D's but a few members use them and give them good reviews.
Personally if you can get warfdales for that price i would choose them, but thats my own preference.

Tony Scott
25-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I know i have been talking about this for months, but i still can't decide. I want to add some 300w full range speakers but think i have two options in my price range.

Class D EVP -x15 300w - on ebay for about £90 new (if i am lucky)
Wharfedale CD128-1 300w - second hand for around £120

What are your thoughts....is wharfedale much better or would i be better off with a new cab.

Any other contenders with similar wattage / price ????

I have 2 x EVP-S15,:http://www.wharfedalepro.com/frames/loudspeaker.evp_s.html

and

I have just bought 2 x the Box pa15
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa_15.htm

Same speakers!!!! much lower price. :D Iv'e been told the reason they are such good value is because they are End-of -line Wharfedales.
I have re-badged all four with my own logo just to get some uniformity.

I really rate them, very very clean horns. I run mine crossed over at 120hz and above......I can't hear any difference between them.

I am running 1 Wharfdale & 1 The Box each side (4ohm per channel at about 800w p/ch) + 600w of bass p/ch + 800w of sub p/ch.......this configuration saves me taking my whole horn loaded rig out, big big boxes!! :D :D

That said I have used just the Box 15's on their own at a wedding with no bass bins and they sailed through, no issues at all. :)

gillo
26-06-2007, 12:08 AM
the pa15 from thomann is only rated at 160 watts rms different driver same box

Tony Scott
26-06-2007, 09:03 AM
the pa15 from thomann is only rated at 160 watts rms different driver same box

Ah, 40w less than the Wharfedale then. I've not taken driver out to look, just going on how they sound.

I can't tell any difference even used as a full range unit without bass bins. I've done a like for like comparison with both Thomann & Wharfdale on the same channel. Same same and I'm happy! :)

I have to admit I bought the Thomann's coz they looked identical to my Wharfedales, this is what I wanted, 2 Identical looking Mid/top units per/ch. sitting side by side on top of my Bass & Sub Bins. As I've said the mid/tops are crossed over @ 120hz so the bass element is not that critical for me and I can drive them much harder as a result.......got lots of bass from my bins!! :D :D

I have 2 EV 15" drivers that I planned to fit in them if the drivers were not the same as the Wharfedales............I wont bother just yet as I'm very happy with the way it sounds, plan to get 2 more EV drivers after the summer so will then change all four, that should liven it up a bit! :D

I needed some new monitors & I'm going to buy 2 more Thomann's, might get the PA12's though?

(By the way Gillo, ordered that T-amp, should get it for this weekend!) :)

I do go on a bit don't I? :D

soundscapes
26-06-2007, 09:09 PM
ive got a pair of evp-x 15's and they sou nd amazing considering the price, sound quality is nearly as good as my mackies. very very heavy though.