PDA

View Full Version : Trend monitoring - do you?

Vectis
27-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I've been looking at customer behaviour trends recently (just for fun! :D ) and wondered if anyone else had done anything similar?

For example, my website tends to get over 50% of its weekly hits on a Monday and Tuesday combined, whereas Wednesday and Saturday it's usually dead.

I take the majority of telephone enquiries/bookings on Tuesdays and Fridays.

More booking forms (like 75%!) land on the doormat on a Friday than any other day of the week.

Customers who are sent a paper questionnaire straight after a gig are much less likely to return it than if I wait a while (like a month) before sending. Weddings are an exception because I always wait a while to let them get over the honeymoon before hassling them!

Am I just being a bit anal? :o

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Yes. :p

theoloyla
27-06-2007, 10:29 AM
You obviously have too much time on your hands - although that sort of information can help marketing if you put it to good use.

CRAZY K
27-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I've been looking at customer behaviour trends recently (just for fun! :D ) and wondered if anyone else had done anything similar?

For example, my website tends to get over 50% of its weekly hits on a Monday and Tuesday combined, whereas Wednesday and Saturday it's usually dead.

More booking forms (like 75%!) land on the doormat on a Friday than any other day of the week.

Customers who are sent a paper questionnaire straight after a gig are much less likely to return it than if I wait a while (like a month) before sending. Weddings are an exception because I always wait a while to let them get over the honeymoon before hassling them!

Statistics and monitoring are only useful if you can use them to make your business grow and increase your profits--otherwise why would you bother?

You could be watching Coronation Street or alternatively doing something useful:D

Fair enough if you know the days that most phone calls happen---thats a useful one ---be around

Website hits I think only useful if you find people are not staying long on your site or your not getting enquiries or bookings--I have statcounter somewhere
but I reckoned the number of emails and phone calls will tell me if im doing the right thing.

Remember the old sales saying KISS
Keep it simple stupid

Low number of enquiries= website needs improving or better ranking
Low number of successful quotes=price high for market or your rubbish at selling yourself
High number=your excellent at selling yourself or your prices are cheap

So it goes on--probably the most significant stat is where did your last enquiry come from--was it Internet, YP or a recommendation?

I used to keep records of quotes and the sources they came from--I give so many now its pointless bothering---

Crazy K

rob1963
27-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Most webstats are a total waste of time & completely irrelevant. For example, it makes absolutely no difference what days I get the most hits or what time of day most people visit my site. I also don't care what operating system or browser they are using, as it makes no difference to me or my business.

However, there is one bit of information that's essential...the details of which sites I advertise on people are linking to MY site from, and I keep & assess all this information, as it's crucial for effective marketing.

I then compare the number of hits from each site I advertise on with the cost of each advert - to discover whether the adverts are providing value for money. I currently have several paid adverts which have not provided a single hit to my website, so next year I'll cancel these ads & use the money to either upgrade other successful ads or to start advertising on some new sites.

There's no point in paying for online adverts which don't produce a single hit to my website...let alone any bookings.

Most of my work comes from my website as a result of my online advertising, so effective marketing is essential.

PropellerHeadCase
28-06-2007, 01:22 AM

I think it's good to know that sort of info - we get the Tuesday/Friday thing here, too. On any given day more enquiries come in between 4:30pm and 5:30pm than any other part of the day, too, be it by phone or email.

If you have a lot of things to schedule into your week it looks like that info tells you to be near your phone/PC on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays (unless gigging) so Wednesdays and Thursdays can be other stuff/'You time'.

dj-jaym
09-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Statistics and monitoring are only useful if you can use them to make your business grow and increase your profits--otherwise why would you bother?

You could be watching Coronation Street or alternatively doing something useful:D

Fair enough if you know the days that most phone calls happen---thats a useful one ---be around

Website hits I think only useful if you find people are not staying long on your site or your not getting enquiries or bookings--I have statcounter somewhere
but I reckoned the number of emails and phone calls will tell me if im doing the right thing.

Keep it simple stupid

Low number of successful quotes=price high for market or your rubbish at selling yourself

So it goes on--probably the most significant stat is where did your last enquiry come from--was it Internet, YP or a recommendation?

I used to keep records of quotes and the sources they came from--I give so many now its pointless bothering---

Crazy K

Sorry to correct you kiss is keep it short and simple

Ricesnaps
09-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Keep it simple stupid

Crazy K

I think it's also fair to say that what you do is fairly unique or has far fewer businesses running that us DJ's. Hell, I even get calls asking for you!

Going to call your caller tonight, you decided if you're coming?

Paul James Promotions
09-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Sorry to correct you kiss is keep it short and simple

I think you'll find it's 'Keep It Simple, Stupid'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Dragonfly
09-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I think you'll find it's 'Keep It Simple, Stupid'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Jamie it does give several other accepted versions on wikipedia if you read down one of which is "keep it short and simple"

for a change ....... everybodys right.

Paul James Promotions
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Jamie it does give several other accepted versions on wikipedia if you read down one of which is "keep it short and simple"

for a change ....... everybodys right.

True, but it would appear that 'simple, stupid' is the mostly used version.

dj-jaym
09-07-2007, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=Jamie Whitehouse;124941]True, but it would appear that 'simple, stupid' is the mostly used version.[/QUOTE

All depends jamie never heard it used in a proffesional / business like context

PropellerHeadCase
09-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Whereas I have only heard it as Keep it Simple, Stupid and I've worked with (or for) a magazine publisher and many advertising agencies (including Saatchis and O&M) and designers.

theoloyla
10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Whereas I have only heard it as Keep it Simple, Stupid and I've worked with (or for) a magazine publisher and many advertising agencies (including Saatchis and O&M) and designers.
It's simple - we'd be stupid to disagree with you!

PropellerHeadCase
10-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Simply put, yes ;)