PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality set up advise please

Dillmiester
28-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi all

Has anyone got some tips on setting up the levels at discos.

Since investing in new equipment i find setting up the sound quality in different locations a problem.

I have converted to laptop setup which goes through a Behringer Ultrafex Pro to Ultragraph Pro and then to an 800w amp to x2 Class D 15" cabs.

I find the sound behind the system is totally unrepresentitive of what goes out front. So being a bit of an audiophile I spend most of the night walking back and forth checking and adjusting the levels (good job I have a Dj assistant to keep the music going).
And then there is the problem of old and new music. I find I can get the levels right for say modern dance music but when it comes to 60's rock it sounds awful again.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

DJ Frankie
28-06-2007, 10:59 AM
It may be worth investing in some monitors to stick by you whilst playing, this way you wouldnt have to keep walking back and forth to check levels etc. Try these http://www.class-d.com/Product.aspx?PRO=619

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-06-2007, 12:43 PM
out front. So being a bit of an audiophile I spend most of the night walking back and forth checking and adjusting the levels

To be honest, if you are really an audiophile, you should be using a decent mixer and not be bothering with the Ultrafex.

PropellerHeadCase
28-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I always do my best to match basic levels in my cans using the bass mid hi rotaries on the mixer so that, as you say, mixing from old to new doesn't sound bad purely because of the age of the track.

O' course my DBX processor has bass synthesis to help out the wimpy sounding tracks :D

Dillmiester
28-06-2007, 12:51 PM
To be honest, if you are really an audiophile, you should be using a decent mixer and not be bothering with the Ultrafex.

Well audiophile is probably going a bit far but i think the audio is very important.
I haft to work with what ive got and its not cost effective for me at the moment to spend mega bucks when i only do a handfull of gigs a year.
Please feel free to recommend a good mixer though and ill have a look.

regards