PDA

View Full Version : coloured smoke ? would this work

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Ok well i would like coloured smoke, Someone suggested adding food colouring die to it ? would it work

Or can you buy proper coloured smoke fluid

DMX Will
01-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I've seen it discussed on other forums before.

Conclusion (from what I remember) is: it's possible, but dangerous (i.e. chances of poisoning your audience)

BrightLights
01-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Nope. Food colouring won't work.

The simplest way (and I know this isn't really what you want) is to use white smoke and shine coloured lights through it.

Real coloured smoke is possible, but it's actual proper smoke, not the same stuff that comes out of a smoke machine, and is therefore dangerous...

Ricesnaps
01-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Mmmmmm, coloured smoke....

...why would you want to?

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Could ask why you would want a arch truss ?

Cause i would like it simple

Paul James Promotions
01-07-2007, 11:30 AM

But surely the idea of a smoke machine / hazer is to enhance beams of light. Can't see how having a coloured smoke would help in any way.

Tony Scott
01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey, if the man want's coloured smoke and he's got good PLI who are we to stop him? :D :D :D

Could try emailing the Red Arrows!

jamesh
01-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I know you can get coloured smoke pyrotechnic pods - that when fired just send up a stream of coloured smoke into the air.....

http://www.lemaitreltd.com/ProductDescription.asp?idxProduct=46&idxCategory=10

CRAZY K
01-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey, if the man want's coloured smoke and he's got good PLI who are we to stop him? :D :D :D

Could try emailing the Red Arrows!

Yeah, but you have to buy the blue and white as well ( no discount )
:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
01-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Could ask why you would want a arch truss ?

You can ask, but I might not be able to tell you!

Honestly, because when I use it people go "wow" (although I am not trying to sell my arch or mu gear, just my superb DJ skills and service - before anyone asks). It also fits in so much better at the venues I now play.

But Blue smoke..... why?

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Did i say blue rice ?
Do people realy say WOW we dont have any proof your say so ?

Ricesnaps
01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Did i say blue rice ?
Do people realy say WOW we dont have any proof your say so ?

I'd call that splitting hairs to be honest.

As for the arch, actually couldn't care less if you believe me or not, I didn't post a thread asking if people would like to know if it was any good. I just keep on taking the bookings thanks

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd call that splitting hairs to be honest.

As for the arch, actually couldn't care less if you believe me or not, I didn't post a thread asking if people would like to know if it was any good. I just keep on taking the bookings thanks

Rice do you get more bookings cus of the arch though ?

Personaly dont think people would care if you had arch tri lite / astra lite or 2 tbars

Ricesnaps
01-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Rice do you get more bookings cus of the arch though ?

Personaly dont think people would care if you had arch tri lite / astra lite or 2 tbars

Who knows, just keep taking them bookings.......

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Who knows, just keep taking them bookings.......

Rice you make a big thing about these bookings, Asif your the only one who does, You have abit of chip on your shoulder

jamesh
01-07-2007, 02:13 PM
now now children.... play nicely on the forum!

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 02:14 PM
James of topic do you use the sonique plugins in virtual dj ?

Ricesnaps
01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
You might want to delete some of your messages in your PM box....

Ricesnaps
01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
now now children.... play nicely on the forum!

I don't believe I was doing anything other than that :D

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
You might want to delete some of your messages in your PM box....

Have done so i await your message :D

jamesh
01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
James of topic do you use the sonique plugins in virtual dj ?

Yes sometimes... depends if i use the screens or not.

dj-jaym
01-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes sometimes... depends if i use the screens or not.

Where do you get them from ?

flatliners
03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
i want black smoke please smoke is white because it thows up effects better coloured smoke wouldnt really work unless you were flying with the red arrows

jamesh
03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Where do you get them from ?

What the sonique visuals???

If that's what you mean - anyone that has a legal version of Virtual DJ Pro (currently at version 4.3) can download them for free from the plugin's page on virtual djs website...

rob1963
03-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Ok well i would like coloured smoke, Someone suggested adding food colouring die to it ? would it work
Or can you buy proper coloured smoke fluid

I don't think coloured smoke is used for the same reason as white smoke.

As I understand it, white smoke is used to enhance the lights by bringing out the beams, whereas coloured smoke is more like a seperate effect of it's own, much like a bubble machine.

I think the best way to get coloured smoke is to use a pyrotechnics system, which have a vast array of smoke pods available...covering every colour, type & duration.

When I started back in the early 80's, I bought a Le Maitre system and used pods which sent up a mushroom of green smoke.

At the time, I remember thinking it looked fantastic...which it probably did!

Vectis
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Like These (http://www.lemaitreltd.com/ProductDescription.asp?idxProduct=46&idxCategory=10)

I still use my pyroflash from time to time :o Remember thinking how expensive the kit was back in 1980-odd but it still looks like new apart from a few blast marks around the ignition pod!

Larry B Entertainment
04-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I have a pyro system but never use it these day. £24 for 12 bangs is quite expensive really. Good for a big stage but there is so many health and safety issues with them now its not really worth me using them.

sleah
04-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a pyro system but never use it these day. £24 for 12 bangs is quite expensive really. Good for a big stage but there is so many health and safety issues with them now its not really worth me using them.

There isn't anymore H&S issues now than there was 20 years ago, just people are more aware of them now:cool: main due to Risk Assessments highlighting the potential risks.
Risk Assessments are everyones best friend:D no, really, they are!

Back to coloured smoke, I read a while back that it is very hard to make coloured smoke, and the type used by the likes of the Red Arrows leaves a residue, hence you won't find it used indoors or close to people/things.
Theatrical fog isn't actually white as such, it's opaque, remember it is really just 'thick' steam.

dj-jaym
04-07-2007, 08:49 PM
ok where can i get pyro system from ? any links

Or should i got a couple of led pars ?

Vectis
04-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=le+maitre&meta=) is your friend.

jamesh
04-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Like These (http://www.lemaitreltd.com/ProductDescription.asp?idxProduct=46&idxCategory=10)

I still use my pyroflash from time to time :o Remember thinking how expensive the kit was back in 1980-odd but it still looks like new apart from a few blast marks around the ignition pod!

There's an echo in here... back in post 8 i said exactly the same and linked to le-maitre :whistle: :doh: :clap: :D