PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Cambs/Norfolk

Key2
01-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi All

My first posting so I'll start with a bit of background. I'm a complete newbie, in that I haven't EVER done a disco. (I can almost hear the keyboards clicking right now!!!). I'm 47 and I'm a driving instructor. I'm also chairman of my local instructors association (but NOT a 'stuffed shirt') which sometimes means making presentations to large groups of learner drivers, and experienced instructors. The point is...I don't have a problem with standing up in front of people and talking.
I really love music and from watching plenty of mobile discos, I think I know what makes the right balance of talking and playing. I want to cut down on my driving instruction hours so that I can spend more time at home mid-week.
My original plan was to do music quiz nights, a mixture of 'presentations' and music, but I'm now thinking of giving myself other options. I will be reading through the various postings and maybe some of you will be willing to give me some positive advice. I look forward to being part of the forum.

John:)

Shaun
01-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi John, nice to have you here. You've come to the right place to pick up some tricks of the trade. Don't be afraid to jump right on in and ask questions.

Enjoy the forum.

Penfold42
01-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi John..
Hello and welcome...
Pull up a chair...:beer1: :beer1:

Key2
02-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi Again

Thanks Shaun and Tony for the prompt reply!
I've been self-employed for many years, and always in competetive markets, and I NEVER try to get work by under-cutting other peoples' prices. I think it's better to provide a top quality service and charge accordingly. I've had a look at Tonys website and, if I read it right (£50 + £25 per hour etc.) then someone wanting a disco to run from 7pm to midnight would be paying for seven hours. An hour to get set up, another hour to pack away again, plus the time 'at work' so-to-speak = £225.

I'm already thinking that I would want £250. More if I can get it. Am I being unreasonable or does it depend on the geographics? In my own profession, I charge £22 per hour for driving lessons, even though there are many locally who charge as little as £15. What Tony charges is more than I charge for driving lessons so that's very encouraging.

Incidentally, what's the best way to go. I can't see myself doing any major mixing, so I will leave vinyl to the purists. I was thinking of a dual-deck CD set-up with a back-up of mp3's on a laptop. Does that sound like a plan?

Cheers

John

Penfold42
02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi Again

Thanks Shaun and Tony for the prompt reply!
I've been self-employed for many years, and always in competetive markets, and I NEVER try to get work by under-cutting other peoples' prices. I think it's better to provide a top quality service and charge accordingly. I've had a look at Tonys website and, if I read it right (£50 + £25 per hour etc.) then someone wanting a disco to run from 7pm to midnight would be paying for seven hours. An hour to get set up, another hour to pack away again, plus the time 'at work' so-to-speak = £225.

I'm already thinking that I would want £250. More if I can get it. Am I being unreasonable or does it depend on the geographics? In my own profession, I charge £22 per hour for driving lessons, even though there are many locally who charge as little as £15. What Tony charges is more than I charge for driving lessons so that's very encouraging.

Incidentally, what's the best way to go. I can't see myself doing any major mixing, so I will leave vinyl to the purists. I was thinking of a dual-deck CD set-up with a back-up of mp3's on a laptop. Does that sound like a plan?

Cheers

John

Lot's of information there me old china!!:)

I would suggest you maybe start new threads and see where that takes you.

What do you charge.....LOL....big, big debate on here.
My charges are resonable as I'm fairly new to the job.....but you may want to check around your area and see what other people charge.....my charge is what I feel 'I am worth'...what people should pay me from coming out of my house at the weekend..so to speak!!;)

Hope this helps without rabbiting on to much....try some threads they don't bit round here....:D

Corabar Steve
02-07-2007, 10:17 AM
:welcome1: :approve: :beer3:

Key2
02-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I would suggest you maybe start new threads and see where that takes you.

Thanks. I'll do that.

Cheers

John:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi John and welcome.

Spirits High
02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Welcome John,

You'll find this forum "a veritable font of information"

Enjoy it!

Marc J
02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
HiHi :)

ian8limelight
02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Welcome aboard.

Larry B Entertainment
02-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm 47 and I'm a driving instructor

You should have no problems getting to your gigs safely then :D

Hi from the Rocket Roadshow

pagan_flame
02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
An hour to get set up, another hour to pack away again, plus the time 'at work' so-to-speak = £225.

I'm already thinking that I would want £250. More if I can get it. Am I being unreasonable or does it depend on the geographics? In my own profession, I charge £22 per hour for driving lessons.

Cheers

JohnHi John.

I get an average of £200 for a gig, and charge £22 for lessons - that's mostly black tie work, in and around Cambridge!

You're also forgetting travel time - just as 40 hours of lessons a week can be as much as 60 hours in real terms due to admin and travelling, so can a 4 hour booking equal 8 hours - travel to and from, plus loading and unloading the van at home.

Also don't forget that if you are doing a midweek gig, you may well be getting home at Silly O'clock in the morning - which pretty much knocks out those 8.20am test slots for the next day! :rolleyes:

Dual deck CD and laptop is what I'm running just now... :D

Cheers,

P-F...

...AKA...

Malcolm Evans ADI
Mallyn School of Motoring
http://www.mallynsom.com

:eek:

mike8863
03-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Hi from another Key2 up here in North Wales, so we shouldn't be mistaken.lol.

Mike

Key2
03-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Also don't forget that if you are doing a midweek gig, you may well be getting home at Silly O'clock in the morning - which pretty much knocks out those 8.20am test slots for the next day! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

P-F...

...AKA...

Malcolm Evans ADI
Mallyn School of Motoring
http://www.mallynsom.com

:eek:

I hate those early ones anyway!:D
If I can get myself booked out on a Friday and Saturday night gig, I can cut down my ADI hours to about 20 a week, which is really what I'm after.
Nice to see another instructor on here.

Cheers

John

KrazyKaz
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi and welcome from another Cambridgeshire bod!

ross@rds
03-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Welcome John Enjoy Your Stay ;)

Mighty Quinn
03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Welcome John,

You've overcome your first and biggest hurdle of where to get good and honest solid advice by registering on the forum.

Am based in Wisbech too and busy locally most weekends. You're more than welcome to pop along and take a look and she whats invloved in the setting up, the night itself and of course the beloved strip down. Get there earlier enough and you can have a little dabble and see what you think.

Cheers

Quinn

pagan_flame
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I hate those early ones anyway!:D
If I can get myself booked out on a Friday and Saturday night gig, I can cut down my ADI hours to about 20 a week, which is really what I'm after.
Nice to see another instructor on here.

Cheers

JohnNow I'm trying to do the opposite - still in startup as an Independent (working for local school for 3.5 years previously) trying to get my driving hours UP to 20 a week to cut down on the DJing!

I've got a 21st Birthday booking in March on Sat 4th August if you wanted to come have a look - PM me if you want to come along.

Key2
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Welcome John,

You've overcome your first and biggest hurdle of where to get good and honest solid advice by registering on the forum.

Am based in Wisbech too and busy locally most weekends. You're more than welcome to pop along and take a look and she whats invloved in the setting up, the night itself and of course the beloved strip down. Get there earlier enough and you can have a little dabble and see what you think.

Cheers

Quinn

Thanks Quinn

I will PM you in a couple of days and see if we can arrange something. I'm quite happy to help set up and pack away at the end. Talk soon.

John

Key2
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Now I'm trying to do the opposite - still in startup as an Independent (working for local school for 3.5 years previously) trying to get my driving hours UP to 20 a week to cut down on the DJing!

I've got a 21st Birthday booking in March on Sat 4th August if you wanted to come have a look - PM me if you want to come along.

Thanks for the invite. If I can make it, I would like that very much. I can give you some useful info on being independant, as I'm a second generation ADI and I hold the Dip.D.I. qualification, and I'm also chairman of my local ADI group. Talk soon.

John

Penfold42
03-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the invite. If I can make it, I would like that very much. I can give you some useful info on being independant, as I'm a second generation ADI and I hold the Dip.D.I. qualification, and I'm also chairman of my local ADI group. Talk soon.

John

What did he just say.......:confused: :confused: are they new lights...should that be technical section :D

Tony Scott
04-07-2007, 05:33 PM
............second generation ADI and I hold the Dip.D.I..............

What did he just say.......:confused: :confused: are they new lights...should that be technical section :D

No thats the new Numark HD controller ain't it? :D :D :D

Key2
04-07-2007, 08:25 PM
No thats the new Numark HD controller ain't it? :D :D :D

Nope. Special code used by us driving instructors so that we can charge more money! ;)
Helps if you eat a tin of Alphabetti Spaghetti:D

John

Tony Scott
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Nope. Special code used by us driving instructors so that we can charge more money! ;)
Helps if you eat a tin of Alphabetti Spaghetti:D

John

LOL!..............you wan't more money? :D :D

My 18yr old has just started to learn to drive, she has driven down a ditch already and she's only on her 4th lesson.

Don't think you can be paid enough for the patience you have to show, must get a bit hairy sometimes, specialy with learners wanting to go off road like my baby! :)

Looking for an amp try this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_ta1400_amplifier.htm

Key2
05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
My 18yr old has just started to learn to drive, she has driven down a ditch already and she's only on her 4th lesson.

:eek: I've never had that happen.
I'm normally quick enough with the dual-controls.
Thanks for the link to the amp. I'll have a look.

John

Mighty Quinn
06-07-2007, 07:45 AM
John,

If you do fancy popping along then tonight would be a good night. Grammer school prom so big lighting and sound setup. Be able to see us working at full tilt.

Quinn

Key2
08-07-2007, 05:56 PM
John,

If you do fancy popping along then tonight would be a good night. Grammer school prom so big lighting and sound setup. Be able to see us working at full tilt.

Quinn

Hi Quinn

Sorry to have missed it. BTW, what name do you work under?

John

Mighty Quinn
08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi Quinn

Sorry to have missed it. BTW, what name do you work under?

John

Q The Music