View Full Version : does anyone use these mackie 450

Thames Valley Discos
02-07-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.djdeals.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=389
If so what are they like?

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Blimey Paul, where have you been?

There's loads of us who use them on here!

Thames Valley Discos
02-07-2007, 07:29 PM
oh, kids mate, make you forgetfull.
Can active speakers be run as passive should the amp go?

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
oh, kids mate, make you forgetfull.

No, not as far as I know.

Thames Valley Discos
02-07-2007, 07:45 PM
So on a budget of say £1000, what would be a good active?
i read a thread about Bose L1s i think, what are they all about, seem dear and i cant find a power spec for them

Larry B Entertainment
02-07-2007, 07:46 PM

They are brilliant speakers. I dont own any but have borrowed a set from the agency a couple of times and always very good. Nice ands clear at low volume aswell.

From what i remember they dont have a passive input incase of amp failure. That is the downside of them that if the amp fails it renders the cab useless. But mackie are reliable and i might be wrong as i havent seen a set for a couple of months.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2007, 07:53 PM
So on a budget of say £1000, what would be a good active?
i read a thread about Bose L1s i think, what are they all about, seem dear and i cant find a power spec for them

It really depends on the kind of sound you like Paul. A lot of people say that the 450s have a harsh mid to them and are very 'American' sounding rather than a European sound.

You'd need more than a grand for the Bose L1 system and it wouldn't be suitable for all functions. Knowing that you do teenage parties - they wouldn't be suitable for that at all.

There are several other manufacturers to look at, RCF (slightly more expensive than Mackie), EV (again, more expensive) and also DB technologies.

There's also more budget cabs to look at - w audio, and Gemini etc

colint
02-07-2007, 10:16 PM
It really depends on the kind of sound you like Paul. A lot of people say that the 450s have a harsh mid to them and are very 'American' sounding rather than a European sound.

You'd need more than a grand for the Bose L1 system and it wouldn't be suitable for all functions. Knowing that you do teenage parties - they wouldn't be suitable for that at all.

There are several other manufacturers to look at, RCF (slightly more expensive than Mackie), EV (again, more expensive) and also DB technologies.

There's also more budget cabs to look at - w audio, and Gemini etc

I thought Mackie & RCF are one & the same?

don't forget to have a look at the proel stuff to not that cheep but good for the price

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I thought Mackie & RCF are one & the same?

They used to be.

colint
02-07-2007, 10:20 PM
thought so cos I've got 8 rcf monitor 8's in my shed that died and half of them have mackie writen on some of the componants and they look just like the mackie ma8